HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Rupp Re-Upped (Still Unconfirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Not nearly as important as having the best 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines...which is all well within our reach, I might add. Just need to re-sign Kennedy and find another RW.

I don't see how Vancouver and Chicago don't count, either. When you're deep, you're deep. And we have so many guys ready for bottom six duty, it's not even funny.
None of the prospects fill the Rupp role though.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
SEALBound

I can deal with this. Now we need Adams and Asham/Talbot back to solidify the 4th line. Letestu/Vitale can also be there if we don't get one of the remaining.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

If this is legit (starting to wonder), I feel Rupp was the most important UFA to sign. The others are replaceable either internally or there may even be some better options on the market. We needed a guy to be a physical presence on the 4th line, and be able to throw down against anybody. He also adds some skill, not a bad combination for a guy under 900k.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
None of the prospects fill the Rupp role though.
Depends what role, though. Fighter? He's not good, I'd rather bring in an enforcer and have Engelland. 9-13 goals, with forechecking and energy and a lot of hits that can cause mayhem? Tangradi, Vitale. Extra center? Vitale, Letestu.

I just think it's too early to be re-signing Michael Rupp. I could be wrong.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Engo doesn't play every night. You also should not count on a defenseman to be your primary enforcer, unless you dress 7.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Depends what role, though. Fighter? He's not good, I'd rather bring in an enforcer and have Engelland. 9-13 goals, with forechecking and energy and a lot of hits that can cause mayhem? Tangradi, Vitale. Extra center? Vitale, Letestu.

When he is playing proper minutes he is a very good 4th liner. You can't teach size; even if he isn't much of a fighter. When we have Kunitz, Neal, Cooke and Rupp down the left side, no right defenseman in the league is going to enjoy playing against us.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
When he is playing proper minutes he is a very good 4th liner. You can't teach size; even if he isn't much of a fighter. When we have Kunitz, Neal, Cooke and Rupp down the left side, no right defenseman in the league is going to enjoy playing against us.
And if we only have three of those guys, the top three, right defensemen are going to feel ___?

Old
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:

I don't know why it would be too early. If you're worried about the Pens strapping themselves financially to the point where they can't re-up TK, i think the Pens have most likely already decided a ceiling on how high they're willing to re-sign TK for, so i don't think signing Rupp for basically the same money has any bearing on it.

If i had to guess, Shero probably has determined which players he wants on the team if they're willing to accept his offer. If this rumor is true, Rupp was one of them, and he obviously accepted his offer.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
And if we only have three of those guys, the top three, right defensemen are going to feel ___?
like they have a chance to calmly get out of the zone. A healthy dose of size is a nice thing to have. Especially since he's still got reasonable skill to go with it. At least when he's not taking stupid penalties. That aspect of his game needs to get better.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
Engo doesn't play every night. You also should not count on a defenseman to be your primary enforcer, unless you dress 7.
Agreed.

Rupp is only mediocre as far as enforcers go, but he can actually play the game, which is a huge bonus.

He also hits a ton and, more importantly, targets the opposition's top defender. Pronger, Chara, Mike Green, etc.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Giskard

He's not an enforcer like Godzy, but I'm pretty confident that Rupp+Engelland can take the job done in most of the games ...

Old
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Freeptop

Given that this still hasn't been announced anywhere official, or even semi-reliable, can we stop treating this signing as a fact? It's been a day, and it hasn't shown up on the Penguins' website or twitter, and it has not been reported by any of the local newspapers - by now, if it had some merit, I'd think that something official would have been released.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeptop View Post
Given that this still hasn't been announced anywhere official, or even semi-reliable, can we stop treating this signing as a fact? It's been a day, and it hasn't shown up on the Penguins' website or twitter, and it has not been reported by any of the local newspapers - by now, if it had some merit, I'd think that something official would have been released.
I agree, it would have beein confirmed somewhere by now, even TIOPS would have it but it's nowhere to be seen. So it's safe to assume that he is not re-signed and this thread means nothing right now. Shero is holding meetings with his scouts from Monday until today. These meetings are about the draft and who they want for the future in terms of UFAs and RFAs. It doesn't make sense that Shero would sign someone before or during the timetable of his 3 day meetings. Today is the last day, so buisiness should pick up soon.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:00 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Agreed.

Rupp is only mediocre as far as enforcers go, but he can actually play the game, which is a huge bonus.

He also hits a ton and, more importantly, targets the opposition's top defender. Pronger, Chara, Mike Green, etc.
As long as he's not huring you by taking dumb penalties, he's a great 4th line winger. It took him about 60+ games into the regular season to figure this out, however. He & Keven Veilleux could make two-thirds of a great 4th line one day.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
As long as he's not huring you by taking dumb penalties, he's a great 4th line winger. It took him about 60+ games into the regular season to figure this out, however. He & Keven Veilleux could make two-thirds of a great 4th line one day.
Rupp-Vitale-Veilleux?

Rupp-Letestu-Johnson?

Rupp-Letestu-Vitale?

Rupp-Vitale-Letestu?

Rupp-Vitale-Johnson?

Personally, I like Rupp-Vitale-Godard, provided there's still enough money for Kennedy and another RW.

Sacrificing Niskanen is another option. I'd rather have Rupp over Niskanen, personally.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Rupp-Vitale-Veilleux?

Rupp-Letestu-Johnson?

Rupp-Letestu-Vitale?

Rupp-Vitale-Letestu?

Rupp-Vitale-Johnson?

Personally, I like Rupp-Vitale-Godard, provided there's still enough money for Kennedy and another RW.

Sacrificing Niskanen is another option. I'd rather have Rupp over Niskanen, personally.
Different positions?

On another note, I don't think Vitale, Johnson, or Veilleux should be on our team just yet. I also don't think we should sign another RW as opposed to what we already have. We have a decent amount of cap space to re-sign a few of our core guys. I think our 4th line should be Rupp-Adams-Asham and let Talbot walk because he will want a significent raise. Re-sign Kennedy, Rupp, Dupuis (or go with Tangradi), Adams, Asham, and Godard and we can have this.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kennedy
Neal-Malkin-Letestu
Cooke-Staal-Dupuis/Tangradi
Rupp-Adams-Asham/Godard

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Niskanen-Engelland/Lovejoy

OR

Despres-Niskanen/Engelland

I don't understand the hate for Niskanen, he really didn't play that bad, give him this full season with the Pens to see what he's made of, we are a good defensive system, I'm sure he will do just fine.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
On another note, I don't think Vitale, Johnson, or Veilleux should be on our team just yet.
Well... KV certainly shouldn't. But it's getting extremely close/already is make or break time for Vitale and Johnson. And I think (and I feel like most in the organization feel the same way) that both are NHL players in the capacity that the team needs them to be.

Quote:
We have a decent amount of cap space to re-sign a few of our core guys.
Not to nit-pick, here... because I think I know what you really mean. But none of these guys are core guys or anything close to it. I realize they've had a nice run with the team and each has contributed towards some important moments on the team... but really... this is why you put money and time into player development and farm teams. To replace guys like this.

I'm not saying that the team should unceremoniously dump all of them. But I really don't think they should feel compelled to bring them all back with raises and multi-year contracts either.

Quote:
I don't understand the hate for Niskanen, he really didn't play that bad, give him this full season with the Pens to see what he's made of, we are a good defensive system, I'm sure he will do just fine.
I thought he was all over the map in his time here. Some nights he would look extremely slick and competent. Many others he played like he was holding his stick upside down, with about 70 pounds of bricks on his back and a helmet full of angry bees.

I'm inclined to agree with you, though. I don't really see much harm in letting him get a real look. Unless, of course, a really good deal happens along. Which seems unlikely.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Well... KV certainly shouldn't. But it's getting extremely close/already is make or break time for Vitale and Johnson. And I think (and I feel like most in the organization feel the same way) that both are NHL players in the capacity that the team needs them to be.
Oh I agree with that, Vitale and Johnson both play well in Pittsburgh when they are called up, I just don't think that they will be able to fill the 4th line roles of a Stanley Cup contender just yet, maybe in another year or 2.

Quote:
Not to nit-pick, here... because I think I know what you really mean. But none of these guys are core guys or anything close to it. I realize they've had a nice run with the team and each has contributed towards some important moments on the team... but really... this is why you put money and time into player development and farm teams. To replace guys like this.

I'm not saying that the team should unceremoniously dump all of them. But I really don't think they should feel compelled to bring them all back with raises and multi-year contracts either.
Yeah, I know. I shouldn't have used the word "core" because obviously our core guys are Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury etc. I do agree on your point about farm systems and saying the team shouldn't be compelled to bring all of them back, sure let some walk just not important guys that will help in the future.

I kind of have mixed feelings on who we should keep and who we should let go. I like Talbot, he is good for this team, he has a great personality and adds energy and positive attitude in the locker room. However I do not know how much money he will want, it would be nice to have Talbot back but if he's looking for cash, unfortunately he will have to get it somewhere else. Pascal Dupuis, great player, has good speed, plays a good two way game, can play LW/RW on any line. I would like to see him re-signed and play the 3rd line RW, but I think Tangradi can play that position if Dupuis ends up not returning. Other than that I really think we should re-sign Tyler Kennedy, Craig Adams, Mike Rupp, Arron Asham (If Talbot walks) and Eric Godard. So Dupuis or Talbot/Asham are the guys that I think are in question here. We'll just have to wait and see what Shero's plan is.

Quote:
I thought he was all over the map in his time here. Some nights he would look extremely slick and competent. Many others he played like he was holding his stick upside down, with about 70 pounds of bricks on his back and a helmet full of angry bees.
I agree, Niskanen has his ups and downs. But I don't agree with other people saying for Shero to just get rid of him like he's nothing. He's young and full of potential, and I feel that he is capable of playing really well in the Penguins' defensive system. I don't think he will be some amazing player or anything, but I don't think he will be a scrub either. I know a lot of people are upset about his salary, I don't see him making more than $1.5 million next season when he's a free agent, he will either make that much or less depending on how he plays. We'll have to wait until next season. Maybe he will improve, nobody knows yet.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Rupp-Vitale-Veilleux?

If Godard is re-signed for league minimum, I have no problem with that. He's fine as a 13th forward. But if Godard is playing in our line-up on a regular basis, I will barf all over myself. Asham? Sure. Godard? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs4853 View Post
On another note, I don't think Vitale, Johnson, or Veilleux should be on our team just yet.

Never implied that KV is ready to play on this team. He is at least 1 full season (likely more) away from that being a reality. I have given up on the idea that KV will be the next, say, Blake Wheeler; but his willingness to fight on a regular basis and his overall size leads me to believe he could be the next (and maybe even better version) of Mike Rupp. The two of them could be tough to handle on a line together if KV ever makes it here...

With regards to Niskanen, I agree. I have been saying for some time: if a great trade or UFA deal comes along, then great: see you later, Matty. But right now Niskanen's salary is not an opportunity cost problem.

Shero will do what he can/wants with the forward group this summer, whether it is through RFA, UFA or trade. If the $1million more Niskanen makes over Strait or Bortuzzo becomes a salary cap problem, we can get rid of him then. But if we have the cap space, there is zero downside and nothing but upside to at least letting Niskanen come to training camp and seeing what he can do.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:57 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

I wanted to get rid of Niskanen, until I saw the new cap number. If for some crazy reason, the PA doesn't vote in the inflator, then bail on him. You can never have enough defensive depth, just ask the 05-06 Buffalo Sabres.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I wanted to get rid of Niskanen, until I saw the new cap number. If for some crazy reason, the PA doesn't vote in the inflator, then bail on him. You can never have enough defensive depth, just ask the 05-06 Buffalo Sabres.
It would be crazy if the PA doesn't vote in the inflator, haven't they voted for it every single time so far?

Old
06-09-2011, 07:16 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
It would be crazy if the PA doesn't vote in the inflator, haven't they voted for it every single time so far?
I believe that to be true, that is what I have been telling everybody over at TIOPS. I seem to be the cap expert over there, DePaoli certainly is not.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:45 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I'd rather have Wiz Kalifa on our 4th line.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
spcastlemagic

Great, we could be the first team fined for having a winger taking bong rips on the bench.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Jag68Sid87

The bigger issue with Niskanen is his right-handedness, and whether or not he can be a reliable left defenseman. I have serious doubts, as I do about either Engelland or Lovejoy on that side. Heck, I have doubts about Letang and Michalek over there, too.

That's the main issue. And since he's more expensive than Engelland, Lovejoy, Vitale, Letestu, etc...he's the logical salary to move this summer.

Closed Thread