HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

OTT acquiring Top 5 pick while keeping #6

Old
06-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Csonked Out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukus View Post
If you have the assets to offer me another 1st round pick, three 3rd round picks and perhaps a couple of farm team leading scorers, I'll definitely listen. Now if you do have all these assets, then make your offer for our 6th pick... I'll listen before calling your assets trash.

It was an honest answer by him. You listed everything of value that is needed to get into the top 5. Rundbland was traded to Ottawa last year for the 17th overall pick, that should say something about what it would take to get up that high. Especially when every team in the top 5 has a glaring need that could be filled

As a Devils fan something could be done around Karlsson for the 4th overall pick++, but that wouldn't be a very wise move from an Ottawa standpoint. Just doesn't make much sense to give up that amount it would take to move into the top 5.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
If you have the assets to offer me another 1st round pick, three 3rd round picks and perhaps a couple of farm team leading scorers, I'll definitely listen. Now if you do have all these assets, then make your offer for our 6th pick... I'll listen before calling your assets trash.
Burke will give you two 1sts, two 3rds, Mike Zigomanis, Fabian Brunnstrom, and Alex Foster.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightingbooya View Post
[/B]

It was an honest answer by him. You listed everything of value that is needed to get into the top 5. Rundbland was traded to Ottawa last year for the 17th overall pick, that should say something about what it would take to get up that high. Especially when every team in the top 5 has a glaring need that could be filled

As a Devils fan something could be done around Karlsson for the 4th overall pick++, but that wouldn't be a very wise move from an Ottawa standpoint. Just doesn't make much sense to give up that amount it would take to move into the top 5.
To be fair, that was before his monstrous season this year where his potential seemed much lower.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhark Attack View Post
OTT 1st in 2012 + Wiercoch (sp?) could get it done, if a team is willing to bet on the Sens sucking next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Considering it's likely, and next years draft is looking really good, I wouldn't do that.
I would make the trade. I know I'd be getting a top 5 pick... We can assume next year we will suck and draft in the top 5 again but I'd prefer to let another team gamble on it.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
To be fair, that was before his monstrous season this year where his potential seemed much lower.
I understand that, but it just shows what kind of prospect it would take to get into the top 5. Very few prospects can be traded for a pick that high, I'm not even sure Rundbland alone would get it done either.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
MoreGore

It is fair to say Cowen, Rundblad, Karlsson, Lehner and Spezza are not going to get offered in a trade for a 4-5th. All I would seriously consider to be worth more.

6th and 35th might get 4th. It really depends on who has who where in their draft lists.

21st, Silverberg or Wiercioch + a 48th might get a 4th 5th, but is has to be a team that needs depth.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
It is fair to say Cowen, Rundblad, Karlsson, Lehner and Spezza are not going to get offered in a trade for a 4-5th. All I would seriously consider to be worth more.

6th and 35th might get 4th. It really depends on who has who where in their draft lists.

21st, Silverberg or Wiercioch + a 48th might get a 4th 5th, but is has to be a team that needs depth.
The highest that may get you would be Columbus at 8.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Beerfish

That combo of picks (the ones listed in the 1st post) would only get you to #9 or #10 from a draft value chart point of view.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
TOGuy14

New thread plan:

Toronto wants to trade into the top 5 but the only assets we are willing to include are 4th round or higher draft picks and mike komisarek. What does it take to get a deal done?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
New thread plan:

Toronto wants to trade into the top 5 but the only assets we are willing to include are 4th round or higher draft picks and mike komisarek. What does it take to get a deal done?
Brian Burke's twin.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post

I don't see 1 team in the top 5, choosing quantity over quality.

Both the Oilers and Avs are early in their rebuilds,getting their cornerstone players in place.

FL-I read a post that Fl has a lot of extra picks going into this draft.

NJ-Devil fans point out that NJ hasn't picked this high in yrs and is unlikely to move their pick.

NYI-have used the last 3 drafts to restock their prospect pool.They have a ton of prospects.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfromhamilton View Post
#21, #35, Lehner, Riegan
Well we sure as hell aren't going to do that now.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Spezza

It can't be done.

The only thing near to this is the Fedotenko for Pitkanen deal - which was 4th overall for Fedotenko, 34th and 52nd (both 2nd round picks are out of the league).

Now, most on this site at the time will tell you they thought Feaster was nuts and had been suckered. He got a pass because of Fedotenko's contribution to their cup run. So while you could argue building around a roster player and two 2nds, you have to acknowledge that Fedotenko at the time was a rare type of player - he was a gritty player with 30 goal potential, power-forward lite if you will. Everyone was obsessed with power-forwards back in 2002 and HFBoards was awash with Isbister trade proposals!

My view is that it was a particularly unique circumstance, a player with a perceived rare skillset was packaged with the two 2nds to get a top 5 pick. I don't see who Ottawa offers that has the value to be packaged with the NSH 1st and one of their 2nds.

Spezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
100angryvikings

Quote:
What would it take for OTT to acquire one of the top 5 picks in this year's draft? The goal is to do so without losing key players on the current roster and keeping our #6 draft pick. Blue chip prospects Cowen and Rundblad are also off limit.

So what's left you say? Well most of our current roster, most of the Binghamton Senators and the following draft picks:

- Pick #21 (1st round)
- Pick #35 (2nd round)
- Pick #48 (2nd round)
- Pick #59 (2nd round)
- Pick #65 (3rd round)

I think there's a pool of promising prospects and an abundance of picks to perhaps entice a team to trade away their top 5 pick to us... is there enough worthy assets here to get a deal done?
So let me rephrase your proposal:

Would there be any teams willing to trade their top 5 pick to the Ottawa Senators while receiving no significant assets in return?

Sorry man, not gonna happen unless your team is willing to give something very valuable in return. You cant just package scraps for a lottery pick

100angryvikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100angryvikings View Post
So let me rephrase your proposal:

Would there be any teams willing to trade their top 5 pick to the Ottawa Senators while receiving no significant assets in return?

Sorry man, not gonna happen unless your team is willing to give something very valuable in return. You cant just package scraps for a lottery pick
Thanks for the repeat, however a few have already shown some creativity by putting together proposals that could actually work out.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:47 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Rundblad. Or Karlsson.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:10 PM
SenatorsLegionary
Member of Sens Army

If all those assets are off the table, I'm sorry there's no deal happening. If you want top 5 value, you have to give up something of value ie: all of the players/prospects/picks you said were off limits.

SenatorsLegionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Thanks for the repeat, however a few have already shown some creativity by putting together proposals that could actually work out.
I haven't seen any proposals here that would realistically be accepted.

Packaging scrap picks and middling prospect types won't get you into the top 5*
No team will trade you a top 5 for next years 1st Rd Pick (unless you also include a boatload of prospects)*

The bottom 5 teams this year (like in many years) are teams that need the attendance boost from a high pick. Wiercioch isn't the kind of sexy name to be thrown into the deal to make it happen...

*= This statement is void if Mike Milbury becomes a GM again, thereby giving your team the ability to fleece him any which way you want.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
What would it take for OTT to acquire one of the top 5 picks in this year's draft? The goal is to do so without losing key players on the current roster and keeping our #6 draft pick. Blue chip prospects Cowen and Rundblad are also off limit.

So what's left you say? Well most of our current roster, most of the Binghamton Senators and the following draft picks:

- Pick #21 (1st round)
- Pick #35 (2nd round)
- Pick #48 (2nd round)
- Pick #59 (2nd round)
- Pick #65 (3rd round)

I think there's a pool of promising prospects and an abundance of picks to perhaps entice a team to trade away their top 5 pick to us... is there enough worthy assets here to get a deal done?

your a goof kid

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:37 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza View Post
It can't be done.

The only thing near to this is the Fedotenko for Pitkanen deal - which was 4th overall for Fedotenko, 34th and 52nd (both 2nd round picks are out of the league).

Now, most on this site at the time will tell you they thought Feaster was nuts and had been suckered. He got a pass because of Fedotenko's contribution to their cup run. So while you could argue building around a roster player and two 2nds, you have to acknowledge that Fedotenko at the time was a rare type of player - he was a gritty player with 30 goal potential, power-forward lite if you will. Everyone was obsessed with power-forwards back in 2002 and HFBoards was awash with Isbister trade proposals!

My view is that it was a particularly unique circumstance, a player with a perceived rare skillset was packaged with the two 2nds to get a top 5 pick. I don't see who Ottawa offers that has the value to be packaged with the NSH 1st and one of their 2nds.
Wasn't that trade also about money? I thought that was before the bonuses on rookie deals were capped, and TB didn't want to spend what it would cost to sign Pitkanen? It was a long time ago so I could be wrong.
__________________________________________________ ______

In any case, what the OP is proposing is quantity for high quality. This is rare. Teams have so few opportunities to draft impact players that it is tough to pass up for depth. Add in that this draft seems to not be very deep, so the gap between a top-6 pick and number 21 is even more pronounced then some years.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Nocashstyle

I love threads like these "we want another top 10 pick in the draft but we don't want to give away anything of value"

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Oleg Petrov

To NYI:
Weircioch

to OTT:
NYI 1st in 2011
Dipietro

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:

- Pick #21 (1st round)
- Pick #35 (2nd round)
- Pick #48 (2nd round)
- Pick #59 (2nd round)
- Pick #65 (3rd round)

This made my day...........

Please if you find someone who is willing to do this,
tell him we need a 1st line scoring winger.
Our coreplayers and Schenn, Toffoly, Hickey and Forbort are also off limits.

Thank you

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
MoreGore

Sure the assets are there to make the deal even if you remove what the OP mentioned, but even still, I do not think there is a trade to be made. Columbus at 8 might be on the table as they are trying to help the francise stability NOW, but that means roster players that Ottawa just can't afford to lose anyways.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:11 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLsince95 View Post
are you on crack...
Can you please explain? Thx

Quote:
I'd do that trade.
I wouldn't Lehner is one of the best goalie prospects in the league and just won playoff MVP and Calder Cup at 19.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote