HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If Craigs list came true

Old
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
the word*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Hemsky and 19, hell maybe add in 31, would probably get into the top 10. Overpay? Yea...but thats the price these days in top draft picks
I guess in a true rebuild you have to think about options like this but there are going to be busts in the top ten. Possibly in the top 5. You have to pause and think about that...

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

if HALF the stuff on craigslist was true, oh man, I think I need a shower now...

CanadianCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If Hamilton did fall to 11, you'd be crazy, absolutely crazy not to trade up to take him.

We'd essentially be one more year from finishing out whole rebuild.

Pick a guy like Dumba next season, and we're pretty much done in terms of gathering prospects.

06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
If Hamilton did fall to 11, you'd be crazy, absolutely crazy not to trade up to take him.

We'd essentially be one more year from finishing out whole rebuild.

Pick a guy like Dumba next season, and we're pretty much done in terms of gathering prospects.
Yup, perhaps. You'd still have to overpay to get him at 11 though because you are targeting a player, not just a draft number. I don't imagine that ANA would've parted with their #12 pick last year when Fowler was available there. IMO, I'd be easier trying to pry a top pick from BOS at #9 or CAR at #12 and maybe CBJ (#8) because they might be closer to competing now rather than relying on prospects like Winnipeg (#7), or Colorado (#11). I imagine that those teams will get sent lots of proposals at and before the draft.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:29 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
The Craig Button lists always seem wonky to me. I know he's got the credentials to take him seriously but he really looks like he makes many of his choices just to be different.

Hamilton out of the top 10? Why? No other major list that I've seen rates him going outside the top 8 and many believe he may be the BEST all-around dman in the draft so I just can't fathom why he'd be that low. Obviously different scouts are going to evaluate and assess differently but I'd bet a fair chunk of change that Hamilton goes top 10.

Maybe it's because highly rated dmen slid last year so now many are expecting them to do the same this year.

As a contrary viewpoint though, with how wide open it seems to be this year after #1... I think you might even see the opposite this year... Larsson/Hamilton/Murphy may all go top 5/6 and Beaulieu and Siemens could go near to the top 10 as well.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:35 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The Craig Button lists always seem wonky to me. I know he's got the credentials to take him seriously but he really looks like he makes many of his choices just to be different.

Hamilton out of the top 10? Why? No other major list that I've seen rates him going outside the top 8 and many believe he may be the BEST all-around dman in the draft so I just can't fathom why he'd be that low. Obviously different scouts are going to evaluate and assess differently but I'd bet a fair chunk of change that Hamilton goes top 10.

Maybe it's because highly rated dmen slid last year so now many are expecting them to do the same this year.

As a contrary viewpoint though, with how wide open it seems to be this year after #1... I think you might even see the opposite this year... Larsson/Hamilton/Murphy may all go top 5/6 and Beaulieu and Siemens could go near to the top 10 as well.
His list might be an indicator of the fluidity of the top spots this year. Still, his list always seems way off of everyone else's.

CanadianCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:03 PM
IV XIV XCI

Damn....... i thought this was gonna be a thread with a link to a hilarious C.L. post.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Screw going after Larsson at 8. Id go after Couturier at 7.
If Couturier fell to 7 I don't think there'd be any chance the Winnipeg team would pass up on him. He's exactly what the club needs. A big possible franchise center is needed.

Not to mention Chipman (Winnipeg team owner) said he wouldn't be trading his 7th overall.

To be honest I don't think he makes it that far, we'd probably end up drafting one of Zibanejad, Strome, Hamilton, Armia (probably not at 7).

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Baby Nilsson

I thought you were talking about the website lol

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Same. That'd be unreal. RNH and Couturier in the same draft.

Wow
Trade down and slowly keep pilling up the assets and somehow get another pick.

Courturier and Larsson would be unreal. Thats who Id take if i had two picks and this guy says both will be there at 7 and 8

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
DousedInOil

After the first overall pick I could almost care less how the rest of the top 10 breaks down. I mean if Hamilton or someone slips to 11 and we try to move up from 19 the team making the trade will still treat the pick as if it was a top 5 pick.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
Damn....... i thought this was gonna be a thread with a link to a hilarious C.L. post.

Ask and you shall receive.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:21 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
His lists have been off the wall but many a time in the past players have fallen thus totally screwing all the 'best' mock drafts. MPS was not supposed to last until 10th, Fowler was not supposed to last as long as he did.

I would say the chances of the Oilers trading up are very very very slim. Tambellini is not light on his feet and able to make sudden decisions, or at least he has not shown that in his tenure. Perhaps if he works out a trade with Columbus well in advance we might have a chance but I'd be shocked if we move up even though I am with the rest of you and would love to do so under the right circumstances.
Im actually quite thankful Tambellini doesnt make many snap decisions. The only glaring move thats negative is Khabby's contract, but thats only because it's 2 yrs too long. Other than that he's quite OK. The steady hand approach has gotten us out of any potential cap hell for the time being, and extra picks/prospects to keep the cupboards full (IE Garon trade, and Penner trade).

yukoner88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I honestly can't stand watching him on any draft previews because it seems like he is going for shock value many times. Last year I know him and Pierre Maguire had a mock draft where they alternated picks and he completely ruined it. It also seems like he makes choices based on getting Canadian teams the perfect guy.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:37 PM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'd take a run at Hamilton if he dropped to 11
19th and 31st pick for Hamilton at 11th. Throw in a scrub if we have to.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:40 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerBoy888 View Post
19th and 31st pick for Hamilton at 11th. Throw in a scrub if we have to.
I am guessing if Colorado picks a forward #2, they will pounce over Hamilton at #11

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
oilWILDcountry

Let's trade all our veterans for more draft picks! Oh wow what a great idea!

Right now, we're not lacking in rookie depth. A Larsson will not make us contending for playoff spots. We're lacking in the centre position, which means drafting RNH will be great, and while it'd be awesome to draft Larsson, we shouldn't trade all our veterans to overpay for it. In fact, we need more veterans, you can't have a team completely made up of players under 22.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There's NO way Larsson falls to 8, imo.

Larsson at 8?

if he does not go top 3 something is wrong

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
oilers4life5

I really like picking 1 and 19 but would you not like to be Colorado picking 2 and 11, they could come out of this draft with two sweet players.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
napaneeoilfan

The drafts never shake out how the "experts" think they will. Last year It was Hall/Seguin horse race and Cam Fowler as a "Lock" to go 3rd...and ended up 12th.

I like the idea of drafting RNH and snagging a high ranking defenceman

napaneeoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaneeoilfan View Post
The drafts never shake out how the "experts" think they will. Last year It was Hall/Seguin horse race and Cam Fowler as a "Lock" to go 3rd...and ended up 12th.

I like the idea of drafting RNH and snagging a high ranking defenceman
No doubt, but if you're the Oilers and any of Larsson, Murphy or Hamilton start to side, due to forwards being drafted, they have to go try and get one of them, imo.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
oilers92

did he just forget about siemens i didnt even see him in the top 30...his list is either genius and hes a generational scouting talent or the more likely option that hes a clueless fool in terms of prospects

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
It'd be worth it.

Although, I'd try to ship Gagner off before Hemsky if it meant we were getting two centres, honestly.

With RNH and Couturier on our depth charts Hemsky has much more worth to the team than Gagner.
Hemsky is not Valuable at all to any of the teams in the basement... with the sliight exception of the Devils, and I'm not sure if Burke is stupid enough to trade a 1st rounder again.

1 year of Hemsky is only worth trading up for teams gunning for a cup. Hemsky will fetch us a 1st next season at the deadline if he's healthy, and having a career year by a team that's in the top 10 in the league with a need for a playmaking rightwinger.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I met Ryan Nugent-Hopkins briefly about a year and a half ago. He was slightly taller than me then, and I'm 5"11. So I believe the 6"1 number, FWIW.
hmm, thanks for the info, i stand corrected then i guess...could have sworn he looked a few inches shorter than Seguin, good to hear though.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Hemsky is not Valuable at all to any of the teams in the basement... with the sliight exception of the Devils, and I'm not sure if Burke is stupid enough to trade a 1st rounder again.

1 year of Hemsky is only worth trading up for teams gunning for a cup. Hemsky will fetch us a 1st next season at the deadline if he's healthy, and having a career year by a team that's in the top 10 in the league with a need for a playmaking rightwinger.
Haah, the team as in us, I'd rather have Hemsky than Gagner at this point. If we draft two centres, that is.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote