HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Off-Season Game Plan

Old
06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
No way. The gas isn't just running out of the tank due to driving, its more like the pipe was cut open. Rapidly declining, there's a reason the Leafs aren't looking to extend.
I have a question ..

Wasn't the terms of the trade that you were only supposed to post on the forum you were trade to?

Why are you still posting on the leafs forum?

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They haven't signed him yet and won't make a move unless they do sign him.

A team can be 10percent over the cap during the off-season, but come October they have to get under, or else they forfeit games.
Isn't it picks and not games. Didn't the Devils have to do that because of Kovy's contract ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 08:37 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Isn't it picks and not games. Didn't the Devils have to do that because of Kovy's contract ?
From what I understand, and I am not exactly well informed on this ... but from what I understand there is nothing on the CBA regarding penalties for being over the cap max or under the cap floor. I believe the NHL kind of makes it up as it goes on that.

I believe the only thing that it mentions is that you are allowed to go over the cap due to bonuses but by a maximum of 7.5% of the cap maximum and that whatever you are over by due to bonuses will be reduced in next year's cap maximum for that team ...

Old
06-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Protest the Hero

Giguere's puck handling isn't very good, imo we need to sign a back up who's as good or better than Price at handling the puck. No need to have the defense play a different style of game everytime the back up is in net.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Giguere's puck handling isn't very good, imo we need to sign a back up who's as good or better than Price at handling the puck. No need to have the defense play a different style of game everytime the back up is in net.
I love Price and backed him when he was chosen over Halak but I still don't get how people on this board delude themselves into thinking he's a great puck handler. Imo it's the biggest weakness in his game. It's gotten better with time but it's still probably his worst attribute.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Gigučre's awful. Signing him would be like signing the Titanic after it hit the iceberg.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I love Price and backed him when he was chosen over Halak but I still don't get how people on this board delude themselves into thinking he's a great puck handler. Imo it's the biggest weakness in his game. It's gotten better with time but it's still probably his worst attribute.
Well, he does have good puck skills. It's his decision making that is horrible.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Aeneas

i dont mind auld coming back,

as for the tsn article...
"a couple of savvy moves could put them over the top -- but, considering the margin by which they've secured a playoff berth in recent seasons, if this summer's moves don't work out, next year's playoffs are hardly assured, either."

sums up how generic the whole article was. Make good moves your team will be good, make bad moves they will be bad. thanks for the insight TSN

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
WeezyHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
TSN provides less insight than the average poster on this board.

Couldn't agree more... I feel silly for reading the whole thing..

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Well, he does have good puck skills. It's his decision making that is horrible.
Which essentially go hand in hand though. If you have bad decision making ability (not saying he won't improve) then you do have bad puck skills plain and simple.

I'm not saying he can't make a perfect pass, yes in the most basic form of the term he is good at actually moving the puck with his stick. But he makes bad decisions all the time. It's instinctual though, he's young and that's something he'll improve on for sure. He has all the tools in every other department and has constantly improved. The guy has been through quite the roller coaster ride since becoming a Hab and even Bulldog.

But for sure he makes bad decisions with the puck all the time. Some games he can be perfect where as other games I'm really stumped by him lol.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Protest the Hero

Price has, I'd say, excellent puck handling and shooting/passing skills. He just needs more experience and confidence with it. A guy like Turco could do wonders with him during practice, or even just showing him during the game.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:24 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
i dont mind auld coming back,
I absolutely hated the Auld signing at the time but all of the other back ups pretty much suck. Auld had about 4 bad starts (largely due to rust imo) but he put up pretty damm impressive numbers. Auld has grown on me and I wanted him to make a few more starts down the stretch.

Anybody with a sv% > .910 is a decent goalie imo. Heck > .900 is respectable.

The problem is I really would like Carey to not have to play 70 games. I'd be happier with 65, its not much but I think that rest will help him stay focussed.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
What games have you been watching? Our entire team relies so much on Carey's puck handling abilities that our Dmen don't even bother to skate back anymore when the other team dumps the puck in.

Obviously he'll make some mistakes when he handles the puck 20 times a game, but I can probably count on one hand all the times it's directly resulted in a goal against this year. Plus he probably has a better breakout pass percentage than 80% of our Ds.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I have a question ..

Wasn't the terms of the trade that you were only supposed to post on the forum you were trade to?

Why are you still posting on the leafs forum?
My posts have either been about the dispersal draft or the Marlies. No Leafs stuff. Now that the draft is in the past, that parts done with...but still popping in with the occasional Marlies insight cause a lot of people talk about them on there without actually following the team.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Fun fact: Picard's shot differential was good because he faced the easiest opposition of any Habs defenseman.
And did so playing with PK Subban who, I am led to believe, is a pretty decent defenseman.

EDIT: What Talks to Goalposts said.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:03 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Obviously he'll make some mistakes when he handles the puck 20 times a game, but I can probably count on one hand all the times it's directly resulted in a goal against this year. Plus he probably has a better breakout pass percentage than 80% of our Ds.
This is the same phenomenon as Markov leading the Habs in giveaways, and Crosby or Thornton leading all forwards. It doesn't mean Markov/Price is a crappy passer; but on volume, you will get turnovers, and the only way not to get them is to avoid passing. Which, on the long run, is worse.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
bsl

Quote:
Shoulda seen Kenny Dryden sometimes when he handled the puck. Heart attacks.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'd let go one of Markov and Wiz, then gun for Richards. Can't afford lacking offensive production from the center spot if Gomez decides to pull a Hollow man again.
You can win a stanley cup without an elite center. Boston is 3 games away from doing that this season, Chicago did it last season. You can't win a stanley cup without an elite defence.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Price has, I'd say, excellent puck handling and shooting/passing skills. He just needs more experience and confidence with it. A guy like Turco could do wonders with him during practice, or even just showing him during the game.
Turco ? For real ? He has TERRIBLE puck handling skills. When he goes out of the net(99%) of the time he makes a bad play. And he would bet way to often with fans.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
My posts have either been about the dispersal draft or the Bulldogs. No Leafs stuff. Now that the draft is in the past, that parts done with...but still popping in with the occasional Bulldogs insight cause a lot of people talk about them on there without actually following the team.

Now back to the regularly scheduled thread.
Fixed.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
What games have you been watching? Our entire team relies so much on Carey's puck handling abilities that our Dmen don't even bother to skate back anymore when the other team dumps the puck in.

I'm not saying our D/players were perfect in front of him far from it, but on certain nights you could count the times he played the puck and like 50%+ the puck wound up on the oppositions stick or played poorly in general. I love Price but I watch every single game with my very eyes. I know he does have some flaws, it's only natural that a young goalie of his caliber would have some aspects of his game he'd need to work on. You have any idea how far ahead of the development curve this guy is? He's insanely talented, but I'm a realist and he does have trouble playing the puck on a lot of nights.

I'm not saying every time it happens it's his fault either, I'm talking about the times where it isn't the D's fault. It happens often enough. Some games he is perfect though which is obviously a good sign

Old
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
G Man 77

The D is already set with:

Already under contract: Subban, Gill, Emelin, Spacek, Diaz
RFA automatic re-signs: Gorges, Weber
UFA automatic re-sign: Markov

The area that really needs to be addressed in the offense.

- Add Brooks Laich, who is a rich man's Darche.. younger, bigger, more scoring touch.
He brings the missing element to the Pleks/Cammy combo.

- Pacioretty had the GG's going before the injury, hope he comes back 100%... and Gomez simply can't do worse... so that's another good line

- Kostitsyn & Eller showed some nice chemistry... and Eller really started coming into his own in the playoffs... we could end up with 3 very decent lines. Only hiccup would be Eller won't be ready to start the season.

- Let Pouliot, Halpern, Pyatt go... add more size/grit instead. Not goons, guys that can play. Allow Darche to return to his role as "best 13th man", super-sub who can fill in on any line short-term.
Problem is Halpern & Pyatt both made the minimum 500k.. tough to upgrade without spending more, and with contracts like Gomez & Spacek, not to mention still paying off Laraque's buyout... I understand Gauthier has to save money somewhere.

Cheap signings like Emelin & Diaz were a good start.

- And I don't want to see Moen on the top lines, ever again. No seriously.

I'm focusing realistic changes... not somehow managing trading guys with ugly contracts and NTC's... would be nice but not likely.

G Man 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Dharvey33

Leblanc won't be ready next year.

Our best prospect not nhl ready just might be Brandon Gallagher he was overseen as he is small but the guy has serious skills. Kristo i don't know i like the kid but he seems to be another speedster with a lack of hockey sense.

I like our Prospect pool one of the deepest in the league we have good player at all positions. Timmins might have done a decent job after all.

My key addition to the habs would be Pitkanen Kopecky-Leino and laich. Maybe add a veteran Handzus wich can play on the pk pp and is pretty good in faceoffs.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:49 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
The Offseason plan should include replacing Kostitsyn with Jeff Carter, now that philly has picked up Brizgalov's rights
Carter has a disgusting contract. Too many things can happen over that long of a time period. Personally, I would sooner go with what we have and see how the next CBA looks before tying up guys with 10 year contracts.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
HomaridII

PK having dinner with Cournoyer in the Habs dressing room

http://yfrog.com/h3ju2dfj