HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
PacoSanchez15

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

I know most people post on the Hounds forum but I figured I would start this one anyways.

Here's the starting lineup I'd like to see opening night:

Findlay - Cat - Import
Broll - Cousins - Durocher
Kantor - Dubchak - Alderson
Angelopolous - Chapman - Halagian
Thibodeau

Sproul - Curcuruto
Nurse - Beukeboom
Hartwick - Miller
Volpe

Murray
Perugini

There's still an import and potentially another OA to slot in somewhere, potentially on D. I could see Volpe being the odd man out there but who comes out of that starting 6 and would be willing to be the 7th dman?

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
saska sault

Morbeck, Quesnele, and Sulmonte all have better chances IMO of making the squad then Chapman and Thibodeau.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:18 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Morbeck, Quesnele, and Sulmonte all have better chances IMO of making the squad then Chapman and Thibodeau.
i think its the opposite chapman and thibodeau have a better chance

then sulmonte and quesnel

i would rather have 17 and 18 year olds play 3rd and 4th lines

if sulmonte and quesnel cant make 3rd line,they should be moved

chapman and thibodeau are destined for the 4th line while i think

morbeck plays on the 3rd

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
i think its the opposite chapman and thibodeau have a better chance

then sulmonte and quesnel

i would rather have 17 and 18 year olds play 3rd and 4th lines

if sulmonte and quesnel cant make 3rd line,they should be moved

chapman and thibodeau are destined for the 4th line while i think

morbeck plays on the 3rd
I agree with this. I don't see why people think Thibodeau won't make the squad. Everyone I talk to loves the kid, he is a fan favorite and will be back as the team enforcer on the 4th line. Chapman will be in a dog fight to hold on the 4th line but he has a better chance then Sulmonte to make the 4th line.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
I just don't see where any of them fit anymore.

Morbeck hasn't shown any indication he's got the offense needed to fit in the top 6, the 3rd line is pretty much set with Kantor and Alderson and I doubt he's going to want to play 4th line minutes in his draft year.

Unless Quesnele can play centre and he's willing to play on the 4th line then he's not needed.

Who does Sulmonte replace in the top 6? His game is not one of a bottom 6 role. The only person I could see him replacing is Findlay but Dubas has talked very highly of him and the way he played with Cat last year.

While I agree Chapman and Thibodeau might not make the cut I don't think it will be because of the 3 you listed. It might be because of guys like Rowe come into camp and make it impossible for Dubas and Stapleton to cut them.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:37 PM
saska sault

Yes I agree, I would rather keep younger players and not have Morbeck in the bottom 6 in his draft year.. but Chapman and Thibodeau combined for how many points? Fighting is great, but we have other guys that can do that... the best teams in the league get offense from their bottom 6... not alot, but more then 2 or 3 goals.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
NHL Fanatic

Soo Greyhounds trade captain Brock Beukeboom to Niagara for Mike Schwindt, OSH 2nd in '13, BAR 2nd '14 (cond.), NIA 5th '14 (cond.)

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Soo Greyhounds trade captain Brock Beukeboom to Niagara for Mike Schwindt, OSH 2nd in '13, BAR 2nd '14 (cond.), NIA 5th '14 (cond.)
I personally don't like this trade but it is probably for the best. I think Brock needed a fresh start after last season. Its to bad though he was a great person with tons of talent. Hopefully he turns it arround in Niagra this year.

I thought if they traded Brock it would be for a scoring winger not another dman.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
richardn

I am surprised people don't see the potential in Morbeck. He is a very good skater for his size. He drives hard to the net and works hard for his goals. He is also a good two way player who can play a physical game and stands up for team mates when he has to.

I think we have only seen the tip of his game in the last 20 games of last season. I think he will be our most improved player this year.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
I personally don't like this trade but it is probably for the best. I think Brock needed a fresh start after last season. Its to bad though he was a great person with tons of talent. Hopefully he turns it arround in Niagra this year.

I thought if they traded Brock it would be for a scoring winger not another dman.
They got 2 2nd round picks in that deal. They should be able to get a good scorer with that if they choose to trade them.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:12 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
They got 2 2nd round picks in that deal. They should be able to get a good scorer with that if they choose to trade them.
Not saying the value wasn't good. Its more of how much I liked Brock as a player and was looking forward to him having a big turn arround this season. The media here sort of through him under the bus early on last year when the team got off to a bad start. I think he put to much pressure on him self last year when given the C as an 18 year old.

I really hope he turns it arround in Niagra.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Not saying the value wasn't good. Its more of how much I liked Brock as a player and was looking forward to him having a big turn arround this season. The media here sort of through him under the bus early on last year when the team got off to a bad start. I think he put to much pressure on him self last year when given the C as an 18 year old.

I really hope he turns it arround in Niagra.
Fair Enough.

I do agree some members of the Sault media, not all, struggle with facts and being actual journalists.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
saska sault

Without a doubt Beukeboom was the whipping boy this year, as captain... he did not play well, that fact cannot be hidden, but he does need a fresh start and we got really good value for him, so its a win-win situation.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:34 AM
dogsandwings

Good luck to Brock..i do believe he will have a good year...it pains me to see some people so negative to some of our players...but hey you have to get tough emotionally to make it anywhere not only hockey..
As for the Hounds..i like what the new GM has done so far...we can be anywhere from 4th to first this year.
Hey did anyone notice we have a Denny Lambert type of team this year..guess that shows it is all about timing ...wish him luck..he paid the price for Torries shortcomings.

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
NHL Fanatic

Soo Greyhounds sign Darnell Nurse and Nick Halagian both to Standard Player Agreements.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:19 PM
NHL Fanatic

I expect Daniel Catenacci and Ryan Sproul to both be selected in the 2nd round of the Draft!

Old
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Fulton44*

Can someone please contract/compare Nick Cousins and Daniel Catenecci for me?
Strengths, weaknesses, attitude, how they project at the NHL level, etc.

I am a Flyers fan and I was suprised that the Flyers picked Cousins over Catenecci.
I have to think that if they scouted Cousins they saw quite a bit of Catenecci as well and there had to have been something they saw in Cousins that they liked better. I am just curious as I don't know much about them and I saw that Catenecci was ranked 37th and Cousins 71. Alot of teams passed on Catenecci as well so I'd be interested to hear whatever you guys can offer up on both of these kids, thanks.

Oh yeah, one specific question, does Cousins project as more of a winger at the NHL level. Reading about him I have seen that and based on his size and game he sounds like a future 3rd/4th line winger/pest. THANKS!!

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:50 AM
dogsandwings

Cousins plays more with his head and mouth...Catenacci plays like a Wolverine..i like them both and am surprised Catenacci wasn't picked earlier..that being said and done they both have equal shots at making NHL and both will..Both have lots of balls and are not afraid to go into hard areas..At worst 2nd liners..but i think they will surprise a lot of people and could possibly become stars in the NHL
Catenacci is the hardest working Greyhound i have seen in 30 years.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
Can someone please contract/compare Nick Cousins and Daniel Catenecci for me?
Strengths, weaknesses, attitude, how they project at the NHL level, etc.

I am a Flyers fan and I was suprised that the Flyers picked Cousins over Catenecci.
I have to think that if they scouted Cousins they saw quite a bit of Catenecci as well and there had to have been something they saw in Cousins that they liked better. I am just curious as I don't know much about them and I saw that Catenecci was ranked 37th and Cousins 71. Alot of teams passed on Catenecci as well so I'd be interested to hear whatever you guys can offer up on both of these kids, thanks.

Oh yeah, one specific question, does Cousins project as more of a winger at the NHL level. Reading about him I have seen that and based on his size and game he sounds like a future 3rd/4th line winger/pest. THANKS!!
I would have clearly took Catenacci over Cousins. Catenacci slipped because of a slump in the last half of dozen games to close the season while Cousins was hot. Then at the under 18's Cousins out did Catenacci by a long shot.

Comparing the two in skill set its not even close Catenacci wins in every department accept for shot accuracy and shot release. Cousins is much more of a natural goal scorer. I think Catenacci is the safer bet to make the NHL with out a doubt and he also has way higher of a ceiling. Catenacci is an elite skater with un human like speed and great stick handling and hands. Cousins is no slouch when it comes to skating and stickhandling as well but he is not as strong on the puck as Catenacci. It could be argued that Cousins has better smarts and knows how to use his linemates better but I think a lot of that is linemates Cousins got the better line mates to play with and Catenacci is more of an end to end guy who carry's in and passes or shoots. Cousins is more of a shooter who gets in position to score but will also carry the puck and do it well. Hope this helps.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:44 PM
saska sault

Cousins uses his head to play the game, Catenacci uses his emotions... Cousins and Catenacci both chirp alot... Catenacci throws his weight around, Cousins doesn't.... Cousins uses teammates better, Catenacci doesn't always....... Cousins plays a Derek Roy style of game, while Catenacci just uses pure speed, and determination.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:54 AM
richardn

LOL Dubas trading to get 2 more defensemen and moving 1 out. Some one should tell him we need a 40 goal scoring winger.

Blue line is looking pretty good though

Sproul
Curcuruto
Miller
Rogalski
Schwindt
Nurse
Braid
Volpe

Old
06-28-2011, 07:30 AM
fanofdo

I may have missed this earlier, but has Nurse signed?

I for one will be very interested watching the Soo come to Sarnia this year with a couple of ex Sting and seeing how Dubas puts together this team.

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:39 AM
dogsandwings

Quote:
LOL Dubas trading to get 2 more defensemen and moving 1 out. Some one should tell him we need a 40 goal scoring winger.

Blue line is looking pretty good though

Sproul
Curcuruto
Miller
Rogalski
Schwindt
Nurse
Braid
Volpe
maybe tomorrow from import draft

Old
06-28-2011, 08:10 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
maybe tomorrow from import draft
According to twitter he sais he has addressed the teams needs on the wing and is going to take the best player available. God I really hope he doesn't take a dman or center though.

With the Hounds 2nd 1st round pick I think they should take someone who probably won't report but someone who could get drafted in the 2012 NHL draft and play next year.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:15 PM
saska sault

I dont see a problem with us drafting a forward or defensemen... there are too many players at each position, Dubas also stated on Twitter that the 4 OA's would have to battle for their spots. Curcuruto, Sproul, Nurse, Rogalski, Miller and a Euro... we picked up Braid for a player who would have been a bottom pairing defensmen anyways, Schwindt is not a top 4 d-man, Volpe wasnt going to make it either... If we can get a great forward, who cares what position... if you have 3 great centers, one will have to convert, or you roll lines. Having to many good centers, is a problem a lot of teams would love to have. Lets just pick a good impact player at #7 and we can gamble at #34