HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Roster thoughts for the 2011-2012 Season

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 12:35 AM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
i think we should stay away from BR, if were gonna spend big cash on someone let it be a player that doesnt have any injury problems. i have a feeling that if a miracle were to happen and we sign BR, it would be like Jason Allison all over again.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Quattro

STOP with the Hartnell talk. Besides being grossly overpaid, he is probably the biggest a-hole in the league. I don't want that d-bag anywhere near this team.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:50 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
STOP with the Hartnell talk. Besides being grossly overpaid, he is probably the biggest a-hole in the league. I don't want that d-bag anywhere near this team.
I could choose about 5 canucks alone who are bigger **********

Old
06-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I could choose about 5 canucks alone who are bigger **********
doubtful, but even so I'm guessing they are all better players than Hartnell

Old
06-08-2011, 12:54 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
doubtful, but even so I'm guessing they are all better players than Hartnell
I'd love Hartnell on this team, but we already have guys like him. We need the pure sniper.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
HNIC Radio said NYR, Tor, LA with Detroit and Washington as 2 possible dark horses.
I say Richards lands in Tampa Bay. Book it!

Old
06-08-2011, 04:41 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Asking for that, cause he knows someone will pay it. It's most likely his last contract. Brad is thinking He needs to be top Five paid Center. (Doesn't deserve it). But that is what I would asking for.

I remember when people kept saying Kovi was not going to get his 10/100 mill (I believe That's more than Ovi makes yearly). Guess what, someone was dumb enough to give it to him.

Brad will get what ever he wants.

And I would be shocked if He gets it From Dean Lombardi.
Yeah, I sincerely doubt Richards is going to get $60M over 8 years from Dean. Some GM will be dumb enough to handcuff his team for the next 8 years though.

Richards hasn't come out and said that all he wants to do is win another Stanley Cup, and with that kind of cap hit, he won't.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Yes Carter does/will have an NTC, which would make Dean even less willing to take on his contract. Versteeg is another name that could be in play for Philly.

As for Richards, he could be starting high as a negotiations ploy. He may be willing to come down. There's no reason for him not to ask for the moon. Also, he could always be given a Hossa-like deal.

5.2M CAP Hit

Not sure if DL would do a deal like that, and the NHL would probably be reluctant to approve it, but it could work. I still wouldn't want Richards though, even with that CAP hit.
With the new "Kovalchuk" rules, there is no incentive to sign a player past 40. The cap hit for the player would be the average salary until the player was 41 and then the cap hit would match the salary after 41. In your example, the cap hit would be $7.1 million until he was 41 and then drop. Also, the salary can not fall more than 50% from year to year. You can't go from $3.9 million to $1 million.

Since Brad is 31, I don't see anyone giving a contract past 8 years. I could see him getting $50 million over 8 years. A $6.25 cap hit.

Quote:
The agreement includes two major regulations that go into effect immediately and will be a part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement until its expiration on Sept. 15, 2012. If there is no CBA at the start of the 2012-13 NHL season, the rules will be grandfathered until a new CBA is negotiated:

1. While players and clubs can continue to negotiate long-term contracts (five years or longer) that include contract years in a player's 40s, for purposes of salary-cap calculation the contract will effectively be cut off in the year of the contract in which the player turns 41.

This basically means that if a 33-year-old player signs an eight-year contract, the amount owed to him in the first seven years of the contract will be averaged for the purposes of salary-cap computation. Then, in Year 8 of the contract, the salary he will make for that particular season will determine his salary-cap hit for that season.

So, if Kovalchuk's contract applied to this rule, the average of what he's owed in the first 13 years would be applied to the Devils salary cap from 2010-2023 and the cap hit would be $7.15 million because he is reportedly due to make $93 million across that span. Then, per the reported terms, the cap hit would change to $3 million in 2023-24 (as Kovalchuk turns 41 in April of that season) and $4 million in 2024-25.

2. In any long-term contract that averages more than $5.75 million for the three highest-compensation seasons, the cap charge will be a minimum of $1 million for every season in which the player is 36-39 years of age. That $1 million value will then be used to determine the salary cap hit for the entire contract. If the contract takes the player into his 40s, the previous rule goes into effect.

For example, Savard's contract reportedly calls for him to make $525,000 per season in the final two years of his seven-year, $28 million deal. He will be 38 and 39 in those seasons. If his contract was subject to these new regulations, for purposes of calculating the salary cap the final two years on his deal will reflect as if he was making $1 million. That would make his reported $4 million cap hit go up to $4.14 million.

The club and player still can agree to a contract that pays a player less than $1 million when he is at those ages, but for salary-cap purposes the number applied to the team's annual average salary will be $1 million.

The regulations are designed to keep diveback numbers in contracts to a minimum.

Last edited by Sydor25: 06-08-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old
06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
With the new "Kovalchuk" rules, there is no incentive to sign a player past 40. The cap hit for the player would be the average salary until the player was 41 and then the cap hit would match the salary after 41. In your example, the cap hit would be $7.1 million until he was 41 and then drop. Also, the salary can not fall more than 50% from year to year. You can't go from $3.9 million to $1 million.

Since Brad is 31, I don't see anyone giving a contract past 8 years. I could see him getting $50 million over 8 years. A $6.25 cap hit.
This would be more in line with what I would expect, and I believe Dean may be a player at that price. If something like that were to happen I would expect Smyth or Stoll to be on the move in a trade, preferably Smyth.

They would also need to front load the Richards deal a bit for a couple of reasons I think. 1) to entice him to come to LA 2) to allow a buyout to be more affordable in years 6-8, just in case.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
They would also need to front load the Richards deal a bit for a couple of reasons I think. 1) to entice him to come to LA 2) to allow a buyout to be more affordable in years 6-8, just in case.

$50 / 8 years = $6.25 cap hit

Old
06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I am still not sold on BRichards.

I like the guy allot and think he is a very good skater with solid vision and speed. That said he hasn't popped the 30 goal mark yet and our signing him limits what we can do with Schenn who very well could be as productive as Richards within the next year or two.

I am not saying I don't want us to upgrade our 2nd line position, I am simply wondering why pay the sun and the moon to a guy who, while good has been badly dinged up, is 31 meaning we might see 4 good years with him steadily slowing from 34 on giving us 5 yrs of mediocrity at best from him and handcuffs us to a single option for the next few years at a position that we are overloaded with exceptional young talent?

Sure he can be moved around and bought out in the last few years and all the rest but then things point back to his production.

GP G A Pts pm +/-
2008-09 Dallas Stars NHL 56 16 32 48 6 -4
2009-10 Dallas Stars NHL 80 24 67 91 14 -12
2010-11 Dallas Stars NHL 72 28 49 77 24 +1

As a first line center his last two seasons look pretty good to me but then when you consider the amount of money it will cost to sign him and the fact that this coming season he would have Smyth on his LW with DB on his right and that he will be getting less minutes opps his numbers will drop.

Still looks pretty good but then consider that he is going to have to play two way hockey and that his +/- is going to have to be addressed which will also bring his point totals down. Still looks pretty dang good to me still but now consider that he is on average good for about 72 games per season and that he is becoming injury prone, especially since he came to the Western conference. He has had one major injury and again, is 31 yrs old.

Is he a better option that Stoll? Big yes. Is he a better option than Schenn for the next two seasons? Yep. I honestly believe so but after that Schenn Vey and Loktionov will be either ready to be our 2nd line center or right about there and that is when my concern comes in. If we are saddled with BR's big contract and anything goes wrong we are going to struggle to keep under the cap and address whatever needs might arise.

Simply put, I think that if BR was popping in 30 + goals per season on average that this would be a non issue but since he is more of a set up center, considering his age and health issues I have a hard time justifying the long term cost.

I would hate for us to be in another Smyth situation leaving us handcuffed to make the moves necessary to bring in a player or two that we might need by signing Richards.

I like him and would for the next couple of seasons but I don't know about the rest.

I hate borderline UFA stars and the offseason. I will be happier when it is over.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:30 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Joel Ward to the Kings E4 according to Ek.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Taken for a grain of salt.

But he would be a solid bottom 6 pick up.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

I like the guy allot and think he is a very good skater with solid vision and speed. That said he hasn't popped the 30 goal mark yet and our signing him limits what we can do with Schenn who very well could be as productive as Richards within the next year or two.

I am not saying I don't want us to upgrade our 2nd line position, I am simply wondering why pay the sun and the moon to a guy who, while good has been badly dinged up, is 31 meaning we might see 4 good years with him steadily slowing from 34 on giving us 5 yrs of mediocrity at best from him and handcuffs us to a single option for the next few years at a position that we are overloaded with exceptional young talent?

Sure he can be moved around and bought out in the last few years and all the rest but then things point back to his production.

GP G A Pts pm +/-

As a first line center his last two seasons look pretty good to me but then when you consider the amount of money it will cost to sign him and the fact that this coming season he would have Smyth on his LW with DB on his right and that he will be getting less minutes opps his numbers will drop.

Still looks pretty good but then consider that he is going to have to play two way hockey and that his +/- is going to have to be addressed which will also bring his point totals down. Still looks pretty dang good to me still but now consider that he is on average good for about 72 games per season and that he is becoming injury prone, especially since he came to the Western conference. He has had one major injury and again, is 31 yrs old.

Is he a better option that Stoll? Big yes. Is he a better option than Schenn for the next two seasons? Yep. I honestly believe so but after that Schenn Vey and Loktionov will be either ready to be our 2nd line center or right about there and that is when my concern comes in. If we are saddled with BR's big contract and anything goes wrong we are going to struggle to keep under the cap and address whatever needs might arise.

Simply put, I think that if BR was popping in 30 + goals per season on average that this would be a non issue but since he is more of a set up center, considering his age and health issues I have a hard time justifying the long term cost.

I would hate for us to be in another Smyth situation leaving us handcuffed to make the moves necessary to bring in a player or two that we might need by signing Richards.

I like him and would for the next couple of seasons but I don't know about the rest.

I hate borderline UFA stars and the offseason. I will be happier when it is over.
168 points in his last 152 games, the ability to play left wing, center and the point on the PP=reasons why he fits on the Kings. And you're assuming Smyth will still be on the Kings on July 1st. The draft should show us if BR is on the radar or not, I think some moves will be made and they'll be out of left field again.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

GP G A Pts pm +/-

I understand and agree with all of your concerns and am wary as well. I don't think the Kings would be getting Richards with the idea of Richards himself scoring 30 goals, but he would up the goal production of guys like Kopitar and Doughty on the PP, and his regular linemates 5-on-5 would benefit as well.

It's a tough call (one I am happy I don't have to make), but it has to be considered.

I am not going to be upset though if the Kings simply wait for Schenn and a couple of the other kids to develop. I liked what I saw of Loktionov at center a lot last season. He is much more creative in the middle of the ice and opens things up with his quickness at the opposition's blue line.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

You will not hear me complaining if DL pulls a rabbit out of the hat and signs Richards. Even if the contract is bad. F it! I want this team to win and Brad Richards improves that chance.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

The BR situation is starting to seem awefully familiar!!!

Old
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Yeah! that guy had a great playoffs this year. I'd be happy to have him on the Kings.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
The BR situation is starting to seem awefully familiar!!!
I seriously doubt it will drag on into August like the Kovalchuk thing did. Richards will probably sign shortly after July 1.

Kovalchuk was all about the $100M in 10 years and that was the bottom line.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Kingler

I'm not holding my breath for Richards. I thought Richards was rumored to be only waiving his NTC at trade deadline to specific teams...and i think the Kings wasn't one of them

Seems like he already have specific team(s) that he will sign with. He is no doubt fielding offers to get the max salary he can from the team he wants the most. Besides, the deal he's going to get will be astronomical. If we get him its going to be our "that UFA guy" we've been waiting for the past 4-5 so years..and he just doesn't fell like "that UFA guy" to me

Old
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I seriously doubt it will drag on into August like the Kovalchuk thing did. Richards will probably sign shortly after July 1.

Kovalchuk was all about the $100M in 10 years and that was the bottom line.
I agree, just mean in the sense of getting my hopes up for nothing. I like Richards and think he would make us a legit contender but that price (if true) is ugly at his this stage in his career. With Schenn and Lokti coming up, I don't think Richards (as good as he is) needs to take up that much salary or term on this team. If we get him I wont complain too much tho.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I agree, just mean in the sense of getting my hopes up for nothing. I like Richards and think he would make us a legit contender but that price (if true) is ugly at his this stage in his career. With Schenn and Lokti coming up, I don't think Richards (as good as he is) needs to take up that much salary or term on this team. If we get him I wont complain too much tho.
Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up either, and I am not convinced he is a perfect fit with the term of the contract and the cap hit.

This time it should be quick and relatively painless though.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Taken for a grain of salt.

But he would be a solid bottom 6 pick up.
Lol we are screwed... Since he picks us to win the division, we will miss the playoff.

Seriously, if we get ward, I would say kiss goodbye to Simmonds.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I'd offer Philly Simmonds, a 2nd, Stoll, Moller and Hickey for Carter and Carcillo.
Why would we want that idiot Carcillo? We have a stronger, smarter, more skilled version in Clifford. F Carcillo.

I'd be happy with Carter though. I'm hoping we can use him on Wing, however, and let Schenn/Lokti develop at center.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Lol we are screwed... Since he picks us to win the division, we will miss the playoff.

Seriously, if we get ward, I would say kiss goodbye to Simmonds.
Ward only had 5 even strength goals last season and his point totals have declined each of the last 3 seasons. I don't understand this potential signing with the CURRENT roster. I'd rather have a youngster given those minutes because of the upside. Joel Ward has no upside.

Closed Thread