HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flyers & Columbus' 8th Overall pick

Old
06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
First of all it's a NTC not a NMC. Secondly, they didn't purposely leave themselve a "little breathing room" for the NTC. They had no choice due to the rules of the CBA. A player is not eligible for a NTC or a NMC until the player reaches their UFA eligibility. It had nothing to do with leaving space in case they wanted to trade him.
It was already addressed and acknowledged ..thank you!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This was also the same guy who was extremely upset when Holmgren moved Upshall and Lupul and then fired Stevens. Moving Carter would be the thing that could set Mike off. Is it childish? Yeah, but at the same time, I'm sure when Clarke drafted Carter and Richards, he probably told them that they would be the faces of the Flyers franchise for years to come.

As for ESPN, well, the Carter rumours have been happening for some time now. Like I said in previous threads, the fact that there's names being attached to the rumours now indicate that there's more than just smoke being blown with regards to Carter. There's legitimacy behind those rumours.

Now, I talked to my scout friends on Sunday and one of the things they mentioned about the Columbus rumours is that Carter might be flipped from Columbus to some where else. The Blue Jackets are hemorrhaging money like there's no tomorrow. That's not saying it's a guarantee that they'll move Carter, but unless they can find some new revenue to help soften the blow with regards to the losses they've been suffering, he might not be there for long.

The scouts that I have talked to have still said that Toronto is still interested and Los Angeles has been coming on strong as of late with a package for Carter. Their package includes one roster player, two prospects in Manchester and one prospect from junior hockey. No draft picks though.
Thanks! Great insight. Yeah I know about Richards and his emotional reaction is part of human nature but he would have to get over it especially since what trumps his personal friendship should be the professional accomplishment of a cup victory. If he doesn't get this then he has a lot more maturing to do than I thought....

Old
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

IT would be counter productive to move Carter.

Leino and Carbomb can walk.
Leights and walker in the minors
Waive Shelley
TRADE CARLE.
Sign Powe and/or Nodl
Call up some AHL
Sign vet.

Bryz is ours... IF we attack this intelligently. do the math - Carter doesn't need to go, let leino's big head fit through the frame.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
IT would be counter productive to move Carter.

Leino and Carbomb can walk.
Leights and walker in the minors
Waive Shelley
TRADE CARLE.
Sign Powe and/or Nodl
Call up some AHL
Sign vet.

Bryz is ours... do the math - Carter doesn't need to go, let leino's big head fit through the frame.
If teams are willing to lavish you with all sorts of tribute for Carter you can't just outright say it would be counterproductive. You have to analyze it based on what is being offered..so far indications are that we're in the driver's seat. It would be counterproductive IMO if you have blinders on and don't consider the options. People act like Carter is a superstar...he's not. He's a very good bluechip player that teams look like they are willing to possibly overpay for. Let's see...

Old
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
The height down the middle is ummmmm.......short?
not to mention poor on face offs and 2/3 are weak in their own end

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Also it's a good indication that we have a good player on the roster when every other team in the nhl wants him.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna View Post
Also it's a good indication that we have a good player on the roster when every other team in the nhl wants him.
Every other team? There are 3 teams right now that "covet" him. Therefore play them off against each other and have them overpay. That's how it works in the business world. Having said this we all know Holmgren operates in some kind of alternative universe so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't recognize a gift horse when it falls in his lap. He would much rather have the horse head in his bed when his half measures blow up in his face....

Old
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the #8 draft pick will have a higher cap hit than 1.2 mill. This is the last year of the cba. All rookie bonusses count against this years' cap until they are no longer achievable ( ie - games played).

You are probably looking at 2.5 - 3 mill in salary plus possible performance bonuses for a #8 pick, especially if you think he is ready to lay this year.
Hopefully he wouldnt be ready this year. All we need is another Sbisa incident.

But I agree with those who have said, if there comes a really good offer for Carter, you have to think about it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
not to mention poor on face offs and 2/3 are weak in their own end
In defense of Giroux and Richards, this was Claude's first year as a center and he was 50% on the draw. Richards played with the torn tendon in his wrist and he was 49.8%. Give Giroux another year and get Richards healthy and there's no reason to believe that they can't be in the 53 to 54% neighbourhood with regards to faceoffs......

However, Carter was 54.7% on face offs and losing that would definitely hurt.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Every other team? There are 3 teams right now that "covet" him. Therefore play them off against each other and have them overpay. That's how it works in the business world. Having said this we all know Holmgren operates in some kind of alternative universe so it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't recognize a gift horse when it falls in his lap. He would much rather have the horse head in his bed when his half measures blow up in his face....
I'm sure that as the draft gets closer, there will be more and more teams that will provide offers for Carter. I think a day or two before the draft, we'll really see some team step forward and put a serious offer on the table.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

I honestly believe that if we trade Carter away too soon, Holmgren would have made a Milbury-esque move.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I'm sure that as the draft gets closer, there will be more and more teams that will provide offers for Carter. I think a day or two before the draft, we'll really see some team step forward and put a serious offer on the table.
Great! more leverage..therefore I'm confident Holmgren will be like a deer in headlights and not know how to process it all and just stand pat....

Old
06-08-2011, 03:01 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Great! more leverage..therefore I'm confident Holmgren will be like a deer in headlights and not know how to process it all and just stand pat....
LMAO......too funny

Old
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
First of all it's a NTC not a NMC. Secondly, they didn't purposely leave themselve a "little breathing room" for the NTC. They had no choice due to the rules of the CBA. A player is not eligible for a NTC or a NMC until the player reaches their UFA eligibility. It had nothing to do with leaving space in case they wanted to trade him.
And also, Carter's NTC is a limited one, in which he can make a list of teams to which he would/won't be traded. I can't remember all the details.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And also, Carter's NTC is a limited one, in which he can make a list of teams to which he would/won't be traded. I can't remember all the details.
Via Capgeek:

Quote:
Full NTC (2012-13 through 2014-15); modified NTC (2015-16 through 2021-22)

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Very good business way of looking at the situation. We draft a stud defender, put him on the 3rd pairing, maybe with Pronger? and develop him with Coburn/Mez for the next 2-3 years to replace Prongs/Timonen.

I'm not sure Columbus would give up both Voracek and #8 pick for just Carter.
The Flyers would not deal Jeff for Voracek and the 8th! Voracek has a ways to go if you ask me. Nope. If you want Jeff you are goung to have to pony up.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Some interesting stats.

Quote:
Compared thru first 3 yrs: Carter: 225GP, 66G, 66A, 132P -1, 16PPG, 22PPA, 6SHG, 13GW Voracek: 242GP, 39G, 95A, 134P, +1, 6PPH, 19PPA, 0SHG, 4GW
Now this doesnt mean that Voracek will all of a sudden break out and hit 80 points like Carter did, especially when he will be 22 during the start of the new year but...

JVR-Giroux-Voracek

I could see this line being our best line all season long.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
This was also the same guy who was extremely upset when Holmgren moved Upshall and Lupul and then fired Stevens. Moving Carter would be the thing that could set Mike off. Is it childish? Yeah, but at the same time, I'm sure when Clarke drafted Carter and Richards, he probably told them that they would be the faces of the Flyers franchise for years to come.

As for ESPN, well, the Carter rumours have been happening for some time now. Like I said in previous threads, the fact that there's names being attached to the rumours now indicate that there's more than just smoke being blown with regards to Carter. There's legitimacy behind those rumours.

Now, I talked to my scout friends on Sunday and one of the things they mentioned about the Columbus rumours is that Carter might be flipped from Columbus to some where else. The Blue Jackets are hemorrhaging money like there's no tomorrow. That's not saying it's a guarantee that they'll move Carter, but unless they can find some new revenue to help soften the blow with regards to the losses they've been suffering, he might not be there for long.

The scouts that I have talked to have still said that Toronto is still interested and Los Angeles has been coming on strong as of late with a package for Carter. Their package includes one roster player, two prospects in Manchester and one prospect from junior hockey. No draft picks though.
If the bolded is true... we better be flipping him for a high end defenseman.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:21 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some interesting stats.

Now this doesnt mean that Voracek will all of a sudden break out and hit 80 points like Carter did, especially when he will be 22 during the start of the new year but...

JVR-Giroux-Voracek

Sorry for the multi - post.

If the net were 3 inches larger in each direction, Jake would have easily gotten at least 10 more goals this past season. Hopefully, he's been working on his "targeting" this summer.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some interesting stats.

JVR-Giroux-Voracek

If Carter is moved ANYWHERE, I want it to be to Columbus for 8th and Voracek.

That's the only deal that makes sense.

Maybe throw in the rights to Jan Hedja?

Last edited by CS: 06-08-2011 at 04:29 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Very good business way of looking at the situation. We draft a stud defender, put him on the 3rd pairing, maybe with Pronger? and develop him with Coburn/Mez for the next 2-3 years to replace Prongs/Timonen.

I'm not sure Columbus would give up both Voracek and #8 pick for just Carter.
Right - I kind of doubt that Columbus would do Voracek and #8. If they're dumb enough to do that then great. Voracek is a really good player who could become a great player with guys like Giroux and JVR. That would be an extremely fun line to watch.

Carter's time here has come and gone and I think he can possibly return more than he is worth.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The Flyers would not deal Jeff for Voracek and the 8th! Voracek has a ways to go if you ask me. Nope. If you want Jeff you are goung to have to pony up.
I hope you're right but I think you're very wrong.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:46 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
Sorry for the multi - post.

If the net were 3 inches larger in each direction, Jake would have easily gotten at least 10 more goals this past season. Hopefully, he's been working on his "targeting" this summer.
If it were 3 feet wider, carter would be in the HoF

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:48 PM
brian822

this rumor hit the Sirius/XM NHL Talk Show

brian822 is offline   Reply With Quote