HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup Finals Game 4 Vancouver @ Boston

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
what do you guys mean by clean? because a simple interference or a late hit doesn't go into the «clean» section IMO.

The hit was good, legal but not clean because it was a lil bit late.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:22 AM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
of course it was, Rome got suspended because of...Rome.
Chara or Bieksa would have gotten 0.
Chara or Ference...

Old
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Chara or Ference...
Ference could have flipped him off as he was being taken off on a stretcher and he'd have been commended for keeping his chin up in emotionally trying times.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I didn't check what the NHL ruling was or if there has been one yet, but I can't say I disagree that the hit was inevitable, I just don't think it was inevitable that the hit would be this bad. There is a rule against head shots and if you go a few frames further than the screen shots above you can clearly see him lifting up his arm and making contact with the head.
According to Mike Murphy, Rome's hit was completely legal so whether you think it's a headshot or that he left his feet(after the hit) is irrelevant.

"MIKE MURPHY: This has nothing to do with Rule 48. This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time."

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ke-murphy.aspx

So this really begs the question, did an interference hit really deserve 4 games in the stanley cup finals and will every intentional interference result in a suspension as well from now on? As a fan is it really asking too much to have some consistency from a supposed professional league and from the same person who deemed the chara incident non-suspendable under the same circumstances no less?

EDIT: Btw this is what Murphy had to say about Chara so draw your own conclusions...

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline,” Murphy said in a statement Wednesday.

“I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.”

Old
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
According to Mike Murphy, Rome's hit was completely legal so whether you think it's a headshot or that he left his feet(after the hit) is irrelevant.

"MIKE MURPHY: This has nothing to do with Rule 48. This is just an interference penalty, an interference hit. If it was immediate after he released the puck, it would be a legal hit. We have them all the time."

So this really begs the question, did an interference hit really deserve 4 games in the stanley cup finals and will every intentional interference result in a suspension as well from now on? As a fan is it really asking too much to have some consistency from a supposed professional league and from the same person who deemed the chara incident non-suspendable under the same circumstances no less?

EDIT: Btw this is what Murphy had to say about Chara so draw your own conclusions...

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline,” Murphy said in a statement Wednesday.

“I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.”
Like I said in the other thread. It's up to CBC, or TSN to deliver these quotes directly to Murphy/Bettman and put them on the spot. If these guys want some entertaining television, have Murphy talk his way out of the contradictions he's made.

Also again, Don Cherry would've used this as a prime example of a "this is why you need to keep your head up kids" video clip for his rock 'em sock 'em videos just a few years ago. I'd be curious(or probably furious) to hear his opinion if this was boychuck or mcquaid delivering that hit to a Canadiens player.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
habsrule22

If Vancouver play like they did in the first period, they will be fine. Any word wether Hamhuis will play

Old
06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
If Vancouver play like they did in the first period, they will be fine. Any word wether Hamhuis will play
Not official but some were saying they would be surprised to see him back in this series so who knows

Old
06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Aww but that's no fun

Go Canucks! (*cringe*)

I still can't believe some folks on here were actually wishing Horton ill with regard to the hit. Folks it isn't Horton's fault Chara hit Pacioretty and it certainly isn't right to wish injury on him.
I'd say that a guy that can't live with the consequences of his actions and goes and talks **** to a player he just injured deserves this. I have no sympathy whatsoever after I saw what he did with Downie.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

This is exactly my problem with the suspension call.

Chara committed clear intereference on Patch, and it was obvious intent to injure because of the history between the two. Result ? No suspension during the regular season.

Now, Rome commits a 0.5 sec interference but otherwise legal check, and it's 4 games in the playoffs ?

Mike Murphy magic both times. Please no Shanahan, we want a comittee.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:05 PM
One Trick Pony

You have suspensions because of the boards, suspensions because of the ice, but when a head hits the stanchion it's only un****ingfortunate. The only unfortunate thing is that Horton got injured, otherwize this would be a clean hit. Oh wait...

Old
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
He does bend his knee you are right, prior to jumping a lot of people do that. He did that to give it a little spring.

It's hard to tell honestly watch the replay and around 37-38 seconds keep pausing it till you get the exact point of contact.

It looks like it was at the point where he was just leaving the ground. You've got to figure though if he had no intent to leave the ground that upon contact even if he did hit the guy he wouldn't have gone in the air just due to the way the hit happened. It wasn't one of those hits where you just go through the guy. When there's some form of "wall" when you hit a guy you aren't going to go up, you'll likely stay grounded, just judging by the angle of the hit it looks like if he hadn't intended to go for the head or leave his feet, he would have easily been able to not do that. That's just my 2 cents.
If you look at the later part of the 36th second you can see clear as day he's planting in order to push off and leave his feet, contact just happened sooner than usual for a hit like that so he wound up leaving his feet as they collided.
Quote:
The point being he clearly had the intent to push off, you can see the spring in his step right before the hit. I don't see why he'd be pushing off so hard from his knees if he didn't intend to at least hit the head let alone leave his feet.
Thanks for the replay. I have to say though that I didn't see anything in it that changed my mind. You may be right in thinking that he intended to leave his feet, we likely will never find out though. But it stills looks to me as though the contact forced him into the air. It didn't help that just before the hit is made, Horton starts to accelerate as if he is going to drive to the net or something. It adds extra force to the collision that clearly did NH no favours and combined with the way Rome is lifting his body into the hit and the fact that Horton is bent over a bit (and ultimately makes contact lower on Romes body than he would if upright) I think that is what puts air under Rome.

With regards to why he bends his knees so much, I think it's partly because he is stopping/slowing suddenly before the hit (you can see the ice spray come up from his right blade as he digs it in) and partly because he really wants to put some force into the hit. Whether there is any further intention regarding jumping/aiming for the head I have no idea. But it looks to me like Rome was going for a blow up hit which turned out badly for both, in different respects. In my interpretation, it's more like he is planting in order to push in, towards the opponent and there is nothing there to suggest "clear as day" (or beyond doubt) that it is his intention to leave his feet on the hit. To deliver a big hit, absolutely. But if there was any intention to leave his feet, it doesn't appear obvious to me at least.

Eitherways, I guess we'll just agree to disagree on that one and move on.

On a side note, anyone want to see if they can guess how many times Lucic hits someone in the face with his gloves on in a scrum tonight? I'm opening the bidding at 3. Any other bids?

Old
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
On a side note, anyone want to see if they can guess how many times Lucic hits someone in the face with his gloves on in a scrum tonight? I'm opening the bidding at 3. Any other bids?
3 sounds about right for the first whistle. The whole game? 15 to 20.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Ference could have flipped him off as he was being taken off on a stretcher and he'd have been commended for keeping his chin up in emotionally trying times.
haha, accidentally flipped the finger maybe.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 230
There's no way Luongo can play that bad again? Right?
There's no way the Sedins can play that bad again? Right?
There's no way Ballard/Tanev can play as bad as Alberts/Rome? Right?

Honestly though, you don't lose 8-1, get embarrassed, taunted, sucker punched like that and not come back and win. You just don't see it in hockey.

I guarantee a Vancouver win! And I can do that because I'm not a Vancouver fan.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matCH penalty View Post
3 sounds about right for the first whistle. The whole game? 15 to 20.
That's what really irks me. This isn't new either. The number of punches Lucic, and other bruins, get away with after the whistle is remarkable. It's not little facewashes but full out punches.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
There's no way Luongo can play that bad again? Right?
There's no way the Sedins can play that bad again? Right?
There's no way Ballard/Tanev can play as bad as Alberts/Rome? Right?

Honestly though, you don't lose 8-1, get embarrassed, taunted, sucker punched like that and not come back and win. You just don't see it in hockey.

I guarantee a Vancouver win! And I can do that because I'm not a Vancouver fan.
Didn't Vancouver lose 2 straight blowout games against Chicago in the 1st round?

Old
06-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Didn't Vancouver lose 2 straight blowout games against Chicago in the 1st round?
Wasn't any pressure on Chicago though, they were down 0-3.

Vancouver and Boston both have a large amount of pressure on them which should really cancel each other out.

At least that's how I see it from my armchair.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Lucic has to account for Hortons gloved punches as well.

I say 50.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
cjcanucks

Good God, I now want Vancouver to win this for the Habs!

I can absolutely see your anger over the Pacioretty hit. It's like the NHL is rubbing it in your faces again. I would be furious if I were a Habs fan.

I was listening to one of our sports radio shows and Matt Sekeres (Globe and Mail) was lambasting the NHL for its bush league approach to the Stanley Cup Finals. I didn't catch all of it but he not only hammered them for the inconsistency in penalizing players and the conflict of interest in Murphy consulting Brian Burke over the suspension, but the handling of the media has been abysmal as well. He said compared to the NFL and NBA this is a joke.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcanucks View Post
Good God, I now want Vancouver to win this for the Habs!

I can absolutely see your anger over the Pacioretty hit. It's like the NHL is rubbing it in your faces again. I would be furious if I were a Habs fan.

I was listening to one of our sports radio shows and Matt Sekeres (Globe and Mail) was lambasting the NHL for its bush league approach to the Stanley Cup Finals. I didn't catch all of it but he not only hammered them for the inconsistency in penalizing players and the conflict of interest in Murphy consulting Brian Burke over the suspension, but the handling of the media has been abysmal as well. He said compared to the NFL and NBA this is a joke.

Season can't end fast enough for us.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

WTF

This league is a JOKE. How the **** does Romes gets a 4 games suspension for interferrence and Chara gets ****ing nothing for the same type of ****, except dirtier. WOW.

I guess the problem wasn't Campbell afterall.. It was Jacobs! Being the head of the Board of Governor isn't exactly a bad thing. It's him who gives the jobs to the NHL management (ex: Bettman)

-_-

Old
06-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
Yeah I find it pretty ridiculous that Rome gets a 4 game suspension in the Stanley Cup Finals, when Chara got nothing at all, in the regular season...

Old
06-08-2011, 02:58 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
WTF

This league is a JOKE.
It is. Without Geoff Molson rolling some heads I think this is as good as it gets for about a decade. My mood at the moment is pretty much "**** happens, is it October yet?"

But Go Nucks, eh? Two more wins, these guys get their names on the cup:

And these classy guys don't:

The thought makes me giddy.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Tim Thomas is a very classy individual, actually.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Batarnac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Tim Thomas is a very classy individual, actually.
But there's this one little thing, can't put my finger on it, that makes him a very unlikeable character, I wonder what that is. Something to do with black and yellow I think.

Vancouver takes this one and wins the whole thing at home in 5.

Closed Thread