HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
bdp

vCash: 500
I've been reading up on some Wii U stuff and there's a lot of interesting info. They won't be selling the controller separately, so you only get the one controller that comes bundled with the console. Makes sense, since so far they've said that the console can only stream content to one controller at a time. Although, they are "looking into" trying to make it work for two controllers.

I guess local multiplayer will be one person with the screen controller, and the others with the old Wii remote?

Old
06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

My big fear is this controller will lead to the next Lucas Barton.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Have they improved online play at all?

Old
06-08-2011, 12:58 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
No details yet, other than that they've opened it up to developers and won't be using the rigidly controlled systems they have in the past. Reggie said we'd hear more sometime this week, probably at the roundtable tonight at 6EST.

DICE is working it and Ghost Recon Online (the online focused iteration of the series that was only coming to PC) is getting a Wii U version... so, good signs so far.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

As someone who could care a less for the Wii, the Wii U has got my attention.

I'm pretty excited for it.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:22 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Guaranteed Sony and Microsoft rip this off in a year or 2.
No one ripped off the Wii. Certainly not Microsoft. The Kinnect and the Wii couldn't be more different.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
At least we have Microsoft and Sony who seem interested in innovations like online play. Nintendo can't even get a headset right.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
No one ripped off the Wii. Certainly not Microsoft. The Kinnect and the Wii couldn't be more different.
Motion and gesture based technology.

They could be more different if, you know, it wasn't that.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:35 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What I see is someone playing the same old cartoonish, clunky games on a new controller.

Get back to me when the game selection isn't aimed at 4-year-olds.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
At least we have Microsoft and Sony who seem interested in innovations like online play. Nintendo can't even get a headset right.
Just curious. Did a Nintendo representative run over your dog with their car or something?

Old
06-08-2011, 01:41 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
What I see is someone playing the same old cartoonish, clunky games on a new controller.

Average age of a Wii user is twice the average age of a 360 user.

Also, look at the line-up in the OP and you'll see more M-rated games than anything else

Old
06-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Its been getting terrible early impressions from big names, and Nintendo's stock went down quite a bit yesterday because of it.
What are you talking about?

Every "hands on impressions" I've read have been quite positive.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

The reason it's going down is because investors wanted Nintendo to go more of a social network route. Early impressions have been great all around.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I hope nintendo releases a more traditional controller for it at some point.

I'm excited for true next gen zelda and mario games and I MIGHT buy one for that.. but I can't see me liking that controller at all.

Maybe something like this concept for a more traditional alternative while still keeping a smaller version of the screen.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:28 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

I'm excited for true next gen zelda and mario games and I MIGHT buy one for that.. but I can't see me liking that controller at all.

Maybe something like this concept for a more traditional alternative while still keeping a smaller version of the screen.

You can use Wii controllers with it (including classic controllers)

06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
MayDay

Quote:
The underlying technologies may be different, but if you truly believe that Kinect would exist today if the Wii hadn't been released, you're deluding yourself.

The success of the Wii was the proof of concept for motion control gaming. It was an idea open to refinement and expansion (indeed, Nintendo themselves furtherr refined it with MotionPlus).

MS took the motion control idea from the Wii and ran with it, and to their credit, they made a unique and powerful motion control system. But I highly doubt that either the Kinect or the Move would have been created had Nintendo not proven the appeal of the concept.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Those aren't Wii U games in the demo. The Wii U is significantly more powerful than the PS3 or 360.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:33 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Those aren't Wii U games in the demo. The Wii U is significantly more powerful than the PS3 or 360.
Of the limited hardware specs released, i'd be hard pressed to say that it's more powerful, let alone "significantly" more powerful than the other consoles.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:44 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Of the limited hardware specs released, i'd be hard pressed to say that it's more powerful, let alone "significantly" more powerful than the other consoles.
Can't say "significantly" for sure. You can make an educated guess about the Watson comparison (which uses Power7 archtecture) and the AMD press release (mentions Eyefinity support, which was only implemented in the R800 series) - but short of that, it's all guess work.

On the "more powerful" front, two developers have said it now. Ubi Soft and Vigil games.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
You may be interested in investing in this great new product I've recently invented. I call it "wheel".

Old
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

Really don't see the appeal personally.
Essentially it seems as though it's almost the exact same system with a graphics upgrade plus the controller with the screen.
My question is, do you really need to upgrade the system in terms of power and graphics in order to play games like Mario/Zelda?

Not to mention the controller itself, other than looking incredibly uncomfortable, doesn't seen to provide anything of value except in the case of seeing an inventory in a game that requires it.
Did you guys see the pitching/fielding int he baseball game in one of the posted videos?
Looks incredibly gimmicky and would likely lose it's appeal after 5 minutes of play if it would have any appeal to begin with.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Sony and Microsoft won't easily trump this new system.
I also wouldn't be surprised if most people would prefer the 360 and the PS3 over the Wii U even.

I'm sure it will sell well though for no other reason than people will think the controllers to be all high-techy.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Really don't see the appeal personally.
Essentially it seems as though it's almost the exact same system with a graphics upgrade plus the controller with the screen.
So an entirely new console, then?

The controller has about 900 different functionalities on it. It's not just a touch screen.

Quote:
My question is, do you really need to upgrade the system in terms of power and graphics in order to play games like Mario/Zelda?
... Yes.

Zelda as much as any franchise, I'd argue.

Quote:
Not to mention the controller itself, other than looking incredibly uncomfortable, doesn't seen to provide anything of value except in the case of seeing an inventory in a game that requires it.
Not remotely true.

Play calling and scripting in Madden, new Commander mode in Battlefield, Motion sensor in Aliens (yes, the one from the movie), customizable characters in Tekken - these are things that have already been debuted or openly discussed.

Quote:
Did you guys see the pitching/fielding int he baseball game in one of the posted videos?
Looks incredibly gimmicky and would likely lose it's appeal after 5 minutes of play if it would have any appeal to begin with.
Well, considering middleware developers like DICE have had it for months and by all accounts love it, I would question your knowledge of the system and it's functions.

Quote:
I find it incredibly hard to believe that Sony and Microsoft won't easily trump this new system.

I'm sure it will sell well though for no other reason than people will think the controllers to be all high-techy.
Can't speak to the systems capabilities. As said before, evidence to support some high profile parts here - and honestly, Microsoft and Sony are kind of hooped for massive jumps in the next two years. Until 25nm, they aren't going to be able to produce a 6000 series Radeon level GPU's into those boxes.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
On the "more powerful" front, two developers have said it now. Ubi Soft and Vigil games.
Didn't watch the Ubi presser, so that would explain why I missed that

I wouldn't be shocked if it had better hardware. I mean, it is 6 years after the other consoles have released. I would be pretty upset if they were still using GameCube tech in 2011-2012

Old
06-08-2011, 04:59 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Except MS and Sony's online play is garbage. It's basically Heat.net from over a decade ago.

I guess killing dedicated servers might be considered innovative.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post

I don't get it, what part of a traditional controller is it missing? It's got everything the PS controller has (which itself is an evolution of the Snes controller), your hands are just further apart. Or does 'traditional' now mean that your hands must be no further than 6" apart while holding the controller?

Closed Thread