HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beginner at 26!

Old
06-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Sigge

vCash: 500
Beginner at 26!

Hello everyone!

I just registered here after finding these forums through howtohockey.com, which I suggest you check out if you didn’t already!

A couple of weeks ago I randomly found myself zapping through the channels to find myself watching an NHL game.
This is the first time since I moved to Italy from Sweden, 6 years ago now, that I’ve watched a Hockey game.
Needless to say, this sparked an itch which I haven’t been able to shake… I need to get a pair of skates on and get out and play again!

Just to give you some info / background on me:
I’m 26 years old and I was born and raised in the northern parts of Sweden.
I’ve played pond hockey and some amateur pickup games during the winters with my friends since I was a kid, but I never played hockey at an organized level.
Some of this is due to my size, at 13 years of age I was already close to 6’6” and I ended up playing basketball instead thinking that I was too tall and skinny for Hockey.
Today I stand just a hair under 6’8” and I weight around 220lbs.
My dad, who before I was born, played roughly 2 years of pro hockey in Sweden taught me how to skate when I was really young but he never tried to push me into playing Hockey.

I currently live in Milan, Italy, working for a company called Ubisoft and as you probably can imagine Italy isn’t all that big on Hockey!
Even so I’m frantically trying to find some form of amateur hockey team to join or even just a beginners hockey course!

The only downside of all this is that I’ll be looking at a pretty steep investment in getting a whole new set of hockey gear, I literally have to start from scratch again.
Later on when I have time I’ll post the list of gear I intend to order, would be nice to hear some thoughts on the individual pieces!

Last but not least I'd like to give a big shout out to the guys at howtohockey.com and the guys posting in the The Hockey Noob Chronicles thread for convincing me that it’s actually possible to start and get to a respectable level even at my age!

Thanks for reading and let’s hope I can get back out on the ice soon!

Last edited by Sigge: 06-08-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Sigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
beth

You're just a kid still - you've got a lot of good hockey years left! Good for you for taking the plunge, you won't regret it.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you'll do well. You have a head start since you played a bit as a kid and it sounds like you have the genes as well.

I started at 28 and am 29 now I could not imagine my life without hockey. Good Luck!

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Bexlyspeed

you are going to do great. Hockey is an awesome sport to watch and as far as participation goes i think its the best sport to play. I played roller hockey since age 11 but did not play ice until i was 28 years old. it took my game to another level. i was able to get decent enough to play in a few house leagues and even won my 1st and only championship at the age of 36. i still play when i can and occasionaly play pick up roller Hockey. its definetly something i will be doing in one form or another for the rest of my life.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:16 PM
NewClearWinter

You totally got this! I'm 18 and just played my first game this last Monday. Unfortunately, I have nowhere near the size advantage as you (5' 9" 140lbs)

By the way, what part of Sweden did you live in? I know a few people up in the Ostersund area by Storsjon.

NewClearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Sigge

Thanks for all the replies!

That sounds real cool NewClearWinter, hope you do well!
Oh and I'm originally from UmeŚ.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:55 PM
FiveHole23

Ubisoft like assassin's creed ubisoft? Are you a developer?

The best advice I can give you is try the gear on at a store find what you like then find it cheap online. However shipping for you might just be easier to buy it in the store.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:29 PM
goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
Ubisoft like assassin's creed ubisoft? Are you a developer?
I noticed that too. Did a quick search and it looks like a subsidiary of Ubisoft has a sweden location. Not sure if it's the same place he works at but either way pretty cool. Ubisoft is a big name!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft_Massive

goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Sigge

You're right on the money FiveHole23.
Yeah, I work as a game Dev here at their Milan based office, although I've spent quite some time over at our HQ in Montreal as well!

As for the gear - I wish I could do that, the only store I've found locally so far has a very limited selection of outrageously overpriced equipment and skates.
I think I'll end up ordering everything from icewarehouse.com, they have a great selection with good prices and their 10% discount they give you for purchasing a shirt or cap with their logo really pays off when you have to spend well over 1000USD!

Old
06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Defgarden

Check out clearance items from hockeygiant.com hockeymonkey.com and just browse a lot of sites. I got all my gear for around 5-600 US dollars.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
NewClearWinter

You totally got this! I'm 18 and just played my first game this last Monday. Unfortunately, I have nowhere near the size advantage as you (5' 9" 140lbs)

By the way, what part of Sweden did you live in? I know a few people up in the Ostersund area by Storsjon.

NewClearWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Yeah you're not too late at all. Most guys in the league I play in have kids and families. That's why the late night games work out well. Many of them are just getting started. You'll be amazed how fast you can improve, even in just one year.

Let us know how it goes. You'll be addicted in no time.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:15 AM
thathippie

For pants, make sure to find ones that are long enough. I'm 6' 3" and have to wear a long size in Tackla pants (I think Reeboks are extend-able.)

thathippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Fred89

Hey sigge, i've just registered and see your post..
I'm from Milan too and i'm 22, and i want to start playing the next september/october.. if you need some infos i've found a couple of places where to asks, even if i need to ask for myself too!

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Logie

Hey Sigge, just got into hockey myself at 27. Had 6 sessions of learn to play so far and loving it!

There's a site called Hockeytutorial.com and a member called Fred is also from Milan and just getting into hockey. He stated that its expensive to get gear and has some good sites and bought equipmend at a fair price, maybe you could post on the forum and he might be able to help you out!

You also could try hockeymonkey.eu think its based in Sweden

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Sigge

Sounds great I'll check all of those sites out, oh and by the way logie I've actually checked out that hockeymonkey site - it looks great, might actually end up ordering from there!

thathippie:
Do you reckon the Bauer supreme one80 pants in XLT (T as in Tall), will do the trick?

Fred89:
I've contacted a couple of people playing in different amateur teams, no answers yet though.
I've also found this place called PalaSesto that seems to hold Hockey courses on Wednesdays and Fridays, I haven't had time to call them yet though!

Later on today when I have time I'll post the list of gear I'm planing on ordering

Old
06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
billycanuck

Have you checked out any Milan Rossoblu hockey games? They play in the Serie A2 and here is the address to their rink:

Via dei Ciclamini, 23
20147 Milano, Italy

They might be able to help you locate some equipment. The team usually features a few Canadians on their roster and I hear the hockey is exciting.

Also, it is never too late to start playing! I have been a goalie since 4 and I retired from competitive hockey this year. Just purchased player gear and will embark on my beer league career as a power forward (hopefully).

Last edited by billycanuck: 06-09-2011 at 07:27 AM.
billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
Hello everyone!

I just registered here after finding these forums through howtohockey.com, which I suggest you check out if you didnít already!

A couple of weeks ago I randomly found myself zapping through the channels to find myself watching an NHL game.
This is the first time since I moved to Italy from Sweden, 6 years ago now, that Iíve watched a Hockey game.
Needless to say, this sparked an itch which I havenít been able to shakeÖ I need to get a pair of skates on and get out and play again!

Just to give you some info / background on me:
Iím 26 years old and I was born and raised in the northern parts of Sweden.
Iíve played pond hockey and some amateur pickup games during the winters with my friends since I was a kid, but I never played hockey at an organized level.
Some of this is due to my size, at 13 years of age I was already close to 6í6Ē and I ended up playing basketball instead thinking that I was too tall and skinny for Hockey.
Today I stand just a hair under 6í8Ē and I weight around 220lbs.
My dad, who before I was born, played roughly 2 years of pro hockey in Sweden taught me how to skate when I was really young but he never tried to push me into playing Hockey.

I currently live in Milan, Italy, working for a company called Ubisoft and as you probably can imagine Italy isnít all that big on Hockey!
Even so Iím frantically trying to find some form of amateur hockey team to join or even just a beginners hockey course!

The only downside of all this is that Iíll be looking at a pretty steep investment in getting a whole new set of hockey gear, I literally have to start from scratch again.
Later on when I have time Iíll post the list of gear I intend to order, would be nice to hear some thoughts on the individual pieces!

Last but not least I'd like to give a big shout out to the guys at howtohockey.com and the guys posting in the The Hockey Noob Chronicles thread for convincing me that itís actually possible to start and get to a respectable level even at my age!

Thanks for reading and letís hope I can get back out on the ice soon!
You're gonna be a force in those beginner leagues!

Welcome to the boards, and good decision to get back into hockey. Not sure how many of them would have hockey gear in Italy, but checking out some used sporting goods stores is probably the best way to get all the gear you need to start up. Then throughout the next few years you can upgrade your equipment one piece at a time.

Would recommend buying skates new though. Once they've been broken in to someone else's foot it can be hard to get them to fit your feet just right. Everything else is fine to get used. You'll probably have to hunt though to get things that'll fit a guy as tall as you.

Good luck and welcome back to the greatest sport in the world! Don't be afraid to post more threads if you need help. I've been playing 10 years and have learned new stuff from the great people that post here on The Rink and I'm sure others have played longer and still learned some new stuff. We've helped plenty of newbies upstart as well!

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Sigge

Hello again guys,
I’ve prepared a list of the basic gear I intend to order, I would love some feedback
I’m aiming for a set of high quality intermediate-advanced gear, I don't want to end up buying low-tier gear just to end up buying everything all over again 5-6 months from now!

Gloves
Bauer Vapor X40 Hockey Gloves

Shoulder Pads, Elbow Pads & Shin Guards
Bauer Supreme One60 Shoulder Pads
Bauer Supreme One60 Elbow Pads
Bauer Supreme One60 Shin Guards

Reason I'm going for a matching set is because many stores sell these combos together for a reduced price!
I've also looked at the Bauer Supreme One80 and Bauer Vapor X40 Elbow, Shoulder and shin guard combo and I would like to know if you reckon it's worth spending an additional 100USD for these?

Skates
Bauer Vapor X6.0 Ice Hockey Skates

Helmet
Bauer 5100

Hockey Pants
Bauer Supreme One80 Ice Hockey Pants Sr 2011

These pants have a reasonable price tag AND they come in an X-large Tall size!

Stick
Bauer Supreme ONE80 GripTac - Flex 87 / PM9 Blade

I need some help right here though because I intend to get a 8" wooden end plug to extend the stick but I'm not sure how this will affect the flex? If I want to land a flex around the 87+ regions, do I need to get the 102 flex version of the stick?

All comments, thoughts, recomendations are more than welcome!

Last edited by Sigge: 06-09-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
FiveHole23

That is cool you are a game dev. I am .net developer for the state but would love to get into game development. What games have you worked on?

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Sigge

I've worked on Assassin's creed 2, Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Motion sports for the Kinect to mention a few.

If you want to know any details or whatever just send me a PM mate, just to avoid getting off topic.

Now let's hear what you think about the gear!

Old
06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
Sounds great I'll check all of those sites out, oh and by the way logie I've actually checked out that hockeymonkey site - it looks great, might actually end up ordering from there!

thathippie:
Do you reckon the Bauer supreme one80 pants in XLT (T as in Tall), will do the trick?

Fred89:
I've contacted a couple of people playing in different amateur teams, no answers yet though.
I've also found this place called PalaSesto that seems to hold Hockey courses on Wednesdays and Fridays, I haven't had time to call them yet though!

Later on today when I have time I'll post the list of gear I'm planing on ordering
PalaSesto courses are on Saturday at 1pm but i think they've finished them for this year, will restart on september.. Wed and Fri are hockey practice for the team if i remember right..
any way there is another team but i still need to contact them, plus im only good at skating and tried .. By the way if you want we might meet somewhere at an ice palace (i'm more closer to the Assago Mediolanum Forum than Palasesto, also close to the Agorŗ) for a skate.. i don't know for how long they will be open but i think they will stay open atleast for all June.. If you need some stores name where try equipment before ordering just PM me, i know a couple of them!

@Logie i'm the same Fred of HockeyTutorial, just registered here

Old
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Fred89

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Have you checked out any Milan Rossoblu hockey games? They play in the Serie A2 and here is the address to their rink:

Via dei Ciclamini, 23
20147 Milano, Italy

They might be able to help you locate some equipment. The team usually features a few Canadians on their roster and I hear the hockey is exciting.

Also, it is never too late to start playing! I have been a goalie since 4 and I retired from competitive hockey this year. Just purchased player gear and will embark on my beer league career as a power forward (hopefully).
I go watching their games, next year should be a lot exciting since it looks like KHL have joined the sponsor list and plan to make a team in Milan for 2012-13 season!
I'm there every home game

Old
06-09-2011, 08:23 PM
AvDog

Ah to be a hockey playing game developer for Ubisoft. That's what my dreams are made of. heh.

I started skating at 28 and played hockey after I turned 30. It's never too late to start! Good luck!

AvDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Devil Dancer

I started playing organized hockey at around 30, but I had played a lot of pickup before that, so I was pretty good in my beginner league.

As for the equipment, that's way more than you need to spend on skates. You can find a really solid skate for $250, and as a beginner you won't benefit from a top end skate anyway.

I'd actually spend a little more on your stick. If you're going to go as high as the One80, you might as well spend a little more and get a Supreme One95 from year or two ago. That's a fantastic stick, and the price has come way down over the last couple of years.

Anyway, good luck!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote