HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets shopping the 8th Overall. PHI, EDM interested?

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
I've learned my lesson with CBJ rumors, i'll believe when Carter is here. Could be interesting to see what Jake can do when he actually plays in the line up where he should

Old
06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I've learned my lesson with CBJ rumors, i'll believe when Carter is here. Could be interesting to see what Jake can do when he actually plays in the line up where he should
100% agreed. Next few weeks should be intresting

Old
06-08-2011, 05:08 PM
RDriesenUD

I really like Voracek, but I would be happy if we made this trade. Carter and Johansen would give us a good 1-2 at C in a few years and allow us to trade Brassard, if we want to, for something else we need.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:14 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
West Coast sources say that we are talking to TB....
Let's line this up better.

I *hear* (from the voices in my head) the Jackets are talking to LA about the rights to Doughty.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:15 PM
EDM

I am sorry, this doubting Thomas stuff is getting ridiculous. I can agree that there is no trade that Howson is incapable of completing. So we may never get Carter. However, the fact that Holmgren and Howson are talking is pretty well-established. So it is being discussed. The fact that this trade rumors is pretty well out there in the general domain now really puts heat on Howson to get it done(at least I hope it does)

Old
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
EDM

Also it is good to see Puckrakers finally generating some juicy stuff again. I was sick of looking at that dumb "Hitch a ride" story sitting there as a headline for over a week.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I am sorry, this doubting Thomas stuff is getting ridiculous. I can agree that there is no trade that Howson is incapable of completing. So we may never get Carter. However, the fact that Holmgren and Howson are talking is pretty well-established. So it is being discussed. The fact that this trade rumors is pretty well out there in the general domain now really puts heat on Howson to get it done(at least I hope it does)
agreed. Someone posted on the mains a link to Bob MacKenzie's Twitter that says he is told Flyers are not looking to move Jeff Carter.

Here is my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
(Twitter) TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
For what it's worth, amid all the Jeff Carter trade rumors, I am told PHI is not trying to move him and not planning to move him.

Never say never in this business but I suspect other bodies - Versteeg, Carle etc - will fly out the door before Carter.
Would not surprise me that that's what Philly is looking to do. Would not surprise me that they have been approached by the Jackets regarding the "rumored deal". Would not surprise me if Holmgren might not do the Carter thing if he's not satisfied with the return he might get for "other bodies." Also wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens on the Carter-to-CBJ front.

The truth is, from this CBJ fan, if Howson could acquire say Versteeg and Carle for a price that doesn't include Voracek, I could be interested in that.

CBS might be interested in Bobrovsky as well. Who knows? It's fun!

Old
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I think this is going to happen.

My very unscientific rationale? It makes sense for both teams and has been generally well-received around these parts.

The last three such rumored and/or messageboard-spitballing deals that I can remember with the CBJ were Sydor-Svitov, Denis-Modin, Leclaire-Vermette.

End results obviously varied, but all made sense.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:45 PM
JacketsFanWest

The Oilers have the #19 pick too.

What would it cost the Oilers to move up from #19 to #8? A decent prospect?

Not sure that would really be worth it, but if Howson could trade a player 2-3 years away for a prospect who's a known quantity ready to step in, perhaps that might be worth it.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I heard this rumor from a buddy of mine that is friends with a very reliable source inside the organization. He said that there have been substantial conversations between these two clubs on making this deal happen.

I agree that nothing is real until it happens. You have to have that attitude to stay sane in the world of pro sports. But in this case, there seems to be a very real possibility that this trade goes down.

We shall see, but I think this has more legs than most of the crap that we hear.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The Oilers have the #19 pick too.

What would it cost the Oilers to move up from #19 to #8? A decent prospect?

Not sure that would really be worth it, but if Howson could trade a player 2-3 years away for a prospect who's a known quantity ready to step in, perhaps that might be worth it.
It would cost a huge amount to make that move. In draft picks alone, it would probably be something like #8 in exchange for #19, #33, and either a first- or second-rounder next year. In mixed terms, #8 for #19 and a defenseman in the #2-3 range, providing (such as Tom Gilbert), and that in itself probably wouldn't be enough.

I remain convinced that the only likely scenarios involving #8 are as follows.
1) Trade a young player to get another top-8 pick (such as Voracek for the 6th on the trade board), then package the two top-8s for a high-end player.
2) Trade the #8 for a pretty good player, although this year's picks are of unknown value.
3) Attempt to trade the #8, realize that no one's biting on reasonable terms, and take someone who will produce for a number of years.

In that sense, Colorado holds all the cards for who is likely to be available at #8, which would lead me to believe that any trade would take place at the draft. There'd be no sense in having one or two targeted players at #8 (as there are), making a trade on the assumption that neither will be available, and then having a chance to have made that pick without a damned good return.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:24 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Also it is good to see Puckrakers finally generating some juicy stuff again. I was sick of looking at that dumb "Hitch a ride" story sitting there as a headline for over a week.
I'm not sure they "generated" anything.

This was posted earlier today by a certain rumor monger prior to the Dispatch post:

Quote:
There are many Carter rumors...Two I believe are possible...To Columbus for the 8th overall pick feels the most likely. Toronto is out there as well..
So, congrats to the Dispatch...you are now slightly behind Ek in the rumor department in covering your hometown team.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
EDM

The main reason I think it gets done is Holmgren, not Howson. Holmgren is a no nonsense, get it done type of guy. And this deal is terrific for the Flyers. They get their top flight goalie which is their number one priority. They replace Carter by moving Brier back to center, his natural position. They replace Brier on the wing with Jake, a low budget up and coming winger and they add a high first round pick. It really works for them. Indeed, arguably this is a better trade for the Flyers than it is for the Jackets. With the Flyers Jake will develop into the stud that we always hoped for but would never happen here. Jake will develop in Philly because he will be surrounded by a completely different type of hockey players than he has here. If he dogs it in Philly he will have guys like Hartnell, Pronger and Richards greasing hockey sticks and threatening to shove it up his arse in the shower if he ever dogs it a second time. Philly is a completely different and vastly more competitive environment (both in the stands and on the ice) than good old friendly mid-western neighbors Columbus

This really is a perfect deal for the Flyers-- a young potential superstar winger who will command a low salary and a top ten draft pick for a center who, while excellent, is expendable.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I heard this rumor from a buddy of mine that is friends with a very reliable source inside the organization.

Did this movie really come out 25 years ago? Man I'm old.

(oh yeah a few 4 letter words if you let it run past 21 seconds)

Old
06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Anyone else alittle weary of moving Jake?

Old
06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Kind of. I think it was a little telling though the way Howson locked up all the other younger players except Jake...

Old
06-08-2011, 06:45 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

love the idea of carter, hate the idea of losing jake. 2 steps forward, 1 step back, IMO. (but hey, it's still a net one step forward result)

Old
06-08-2011, 06:53 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
For Carter? No.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:55 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Kind of. I think it was a little telling though the way Howson locked up all the other younger players except Jake...
I'm not sure how to feel about this considering some could argue that he's been too aggressive in locking up Mason, Brassard and Russell.
It's a gamble.

Maybe he hasn't signed Jake because of on or off ice concerns or maybe he hasn't signed him because he's getting gun shy?

Old
06-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2212
WHile I would be saddened to lose Jake, I would be thrilled to obtain Carter. Should Howson take the risk? Heck yes! We need to roll the dice, in a good way, to obtain the center that this team has lacked. Bold moves are needed. The old adage is to be strong up the middle. With Carter we would have a piece to be strong up the middle. Jake can be replaced. Wingers can be obtained easier than front line centers. I would make the trade in a minute. Our first line would be pretty much set, and then Howson can concentrate on another goalie and front line defensemen.

Old
blahblah

Quote:
I assume you mean wary. If so, depends on the return. I'm not concerned about what he does after he leaves, but what the results of the player(s) (or picks) we receive.

I am a firm believer that you can't make decisions from a position of fear. If you do, you don't deserve the job. You will make mistakes. Live with them, acknowledge them, and move on.

Old
Gomez22

Quote:
Yeah. I'd kinda like to give Jake one more year.

I think (and this is purely conjecture on my part) that Commodore had something to do with Jake (and possibly others) and the 'lack' of effort/conditioning. Hence the banishment to Syracuse. Like I said, just my personal opinion on the matter with no facts or anything but my own imagination to base it on.

I honestly think the 8th for Carter is a decent deal in itself. If we have to add something or someone, add Filatov or Wilson, MacKenzie, Boll, Huselius (pipe-dream, I know, not to mention the salary issues), or even the 37th pick.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:06 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Hopefully Brassard's days in the middle are numbered.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I'd like to see us make a play for Carle, as well. (Filatov?)

Old
06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Xoggz22

Taking a step back from the hot and heavy Carter for 8th/Voracek discussion to think about the ramifications or what position we would have in our top 6.

If it happens (I'm not holding my breath) that gives Columbus, suddenly, nice depth at Center. Almost Boston esque before Savard went down. However, something else would have to be in the works because that pulls away one of our top 6 wing. Does Vermette, Brassard or Johansen move to wing? Is this the last chance for Filatov? Does Brassard or Vermette get moved? Do we look to sign Lieno or Fleischmann?

I mean the addition of Carter would really shore up the center position not to mention he is a decent faceoff guy and plays in all three zones (at least when I've seen him play). I don't think a Calvert or Kubalik or Atkinson is ready for top 6 minutes (obviously I'm not the coach ). I'm a little concerned but boy if this happened....I would be pretty happy. Maybe Brassard ++ for Burns? Vermette ++ for Burns?

Damn...wish something would happen one way or another!

Closed Thread