HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dream of a true 4-line team could be realized this season

Old
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM
triplcrown

vCash: 500
Dream of a true 4-line team could be realized this season

The Kings are closer to being able to ice 4 good lines than they have been in many years.

Alas, this past season, we had to once again push Stoll into a 2nd line role, when everybody knows he's ideally a 3rd-line
shutdown Center.

But the good news was Trevor Lewis really came on as a PKer
and bottom-6 gem.

Also, our best line in the POs was Simmonds/Richardson/Clifford,
which bodes well for next season.

In order to get to a true 4-line team (where any line can do some damage), it would really help to sign Brad Richards.

If we don't, then we need a big resurgence from Penner on the 1st line, which worries me a bit (I don't see Penner as a 1st line guy).

But if we do sign Richards, he could combine with Kopi & JWilliams on a 1st line that could be the best line we've had in a decade.

For a 2nd line Center, we have a burgeoning talent in Brayden Schenn, who could possibly be a ROY candidate if we give him a chance on our top 6, which means 2nd-line with perhaps Penner & DBrown. I don't think 20 Gs/50+ pts is unrealistic for Schenn, at 20 years of age. He clearly had a growth-spurt last year, and he's ready, IMO.

For a 3rd line we'd have Stoll with Smyth (admittedly an expen$ive 3rd line LW), with perhaps Trevor Lewis on RW.

The Clifford/Richardson/Simmonds unit could be a checking/energy line, or even just a dominant line, as they were in the POs, if their offense is cooking.

Admittedly, this vision of 4 lines is blurred if Richards doesn't sign with us. But we might acquire someone else, or even get inspired play from Penner next season (at least, if he wants to stay in the good money zone).

In any case, I do see us getting stronger and stronger each season, due to growth of players, plus new talent coming in.

With a little good fortune (a signing, & health and good momentum for Schenn), we could have a formidable 4-line
team next season.

Most of the ingredients (except for Richards or someone like him) are there.

It's partly a case of how raw the ingredients will be next season.

Last edited by triplcrown: 06-07-2011 at 09:01 PM.
triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
The Kings are closer to being able to ice 4 good lines than they have been in many years.

Alas, this past season, we had to once again push Stoll into a 2nd line role, when everybody knows he's ideally a 3rd-line
shutdown Center.

But the good news was Trevor Lewis really came on as a PKer
and bottom-6 gem.

Also, our best line in the POs was Simmonds/Richardson/Clifford,
which bodes well for next season.

In order to get to a true 4-line team (where any line can do some damage), it would really help to sign Brad Richards.

If we don't, then we need a big resurgence from Penner on the 1st line, which worries me a bit (I don't see Penner as a 1st line guy).

But if we do sign Richards, he could combine with Kopi & JWilliams on a 1st line that could be the best line we've had in a decade.

For a 2nd line Center, we have a burgeoning talent in Brayden Schenn, who could possibly be a ROY candidate if we give him a chance on our top 6, which means 2nd-line with perhaps Penner & DBrown. I don't think 20 Gs/50+ pts is unrealistic for Schenn, at 20 years of age. He clearly had a growth-spurt last year, and he's ready, IMO.

For a 3rd line we'd have Stoll with Smyth (admittedly an expen$ive 3rd line LW), with perhaps Trevor Lewis on RW.

The Clifford/Richardson/Simmonds unit could be a checking/energy line, or even just a dominant line, as they were in the POs, if their offense is cooking.

Admittedly, this vision of 4 lines is blurred if Richards doesn't sign with us. But we might acquire someone else, or even get inspired play from Penner next season (at least, if he wants to stay in the good money zone).

In any case, I do see us getting stronger and stronger each season, due to growth of players, plus new talent coming in.

With a little good fortune (a signing, & health and good momentum for Schenn), we could have a formidable 4-line
team next season.

Most of the ingredients (except for Richards or someone like him) are there.

It's partly a case of how raw the ingredients will be next season.

Translation: Jack Johnson & Jonathon Bernier are expendable!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
If Richards is signed by the Kings, Schenn must go to Manchester and Stoll gets traded or Smyth is bought out. No way the Kings have enough cap space to sign Richards and keep everyone you have listed.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
We aren't signing Richards

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
We aren't signing Richards
Thanks Dean.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:21 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Next year is going to be interesting to watch. And I hope we do well. But 2012 is going to be our Cup run year. I rather play it conservative this year, let Richards go, and see what we have. Play a few prospects, see if any of them breakout, and then use next off seasons offloading (Smyth, Stoll, Penner) to fill any holes through trade with prospects who didn't make it. I'd personally want to keep Stoll and Penner but, we'll see.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
northernKing

Problem with Stoll is he is a very good faceoff guy but not really a shutdown center. I would rather LA make a move to bring back Steckel who is a top end face off guy and has the size and mindset to play that shut down role. Or maybe have Stoll on a line with Lewis where he takes draws but Lewis plays the center role utilizing his speed.

Also Smyth and Stoll on the same line scares me. They did well with Williams, but alot of that was Williams return to his former puck bandit like play. In the playoffs Smyth was too slow and he never seemed to have the puck for more than a second or two before dumping it in. I'd prefer LA taking a risk with trading for Wolski or, if healthy, signing UFA Fleishmann who can also play center or LW. Both still have 30 goal potential and fit in nicely with the age of our core players.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Thanks Dean.
It has been known for a long time that Ricahrds wants to be close to PEI, where he spends a lot of time. If he played in the East, PEI is a hop or two on a plane and he can spend wknds/days off there even during the season.

So to pull him away from that, the Kings will have to pay a huge premium.

Not going to happen.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Thanks Dean.
Here to help, no need posting a thousand more times with useless speculation and pictures of Texas

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingurentai View Post
It has been known for a long time that Ricahrds wants to be close to PEI, where he spends a lot of time. If he played in the East, PEI is a hop or two on a plane and he can spend wknds/days off there even during the season.

So to pull him away from that, the Kings will have to pay a huge premium.

Not going to happen.
I don't see that being feasible. To my knowledge, there aren't any direct flights from NYC to PEI. A quick look online shows the shortest commercial trip is around 6 hours one way, with at least one stop. Even if he chartered his own flights, would the team be willing to let him go, when an unexpected change of weather might prevent his return flight, leaving him stuck in PEI? I don't think so. Even when a team gets a break of 4 or 5 days, players almost never get more than 1 day in a row off during the season. He'd be expected to rejoin the team for practices, etc.

He might want to be closer to PEI, but it won't be because he can pop over there on his days off.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroFan View Post
I don't see that being feasible. To my knowledge, there aren't any direct flights from NYC to PEI. A quick look online shows the shortest commercial trip is around 6 hours one way, with at least one stop. Even if he chartered his own flights, would the team be willing to let him go, when an unexpected change of weather might prevent his return flight, leaving him stuck in PEI? I don't think so. Even when a team gets a break of 4 or 5 days, players almost never get more than 1 day in a row off during the season. He'd be expected to rejoin the team for practices, etc.

He might want to be closer to PEI, but it won't be because he can pop over there on his days off.
Yeah, much more likely friends and family in PEI would visit him in NYC.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Kingurentai

Quote:

Be that as it may, the end reuslt is the same.

He prefers the east and closer to PEI.

End result: Kings will have to pay a premium for him/he prefers elsewhere = he's not coming here.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:

What he said

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
Problem with Stoll is he is a very good faceoff guy but not really a shutdown center. I would rather LA make a move to bring back Steckel who is a top end face off guy and has the size and mindset to play that shut down role. Or maybe have Stoll on a line with Lewis where he takes draws but Lewis plays the center role utilizing his speed.

Also Smyth and Stoll on the same line scares me. They did well with Williams, but alot of that was Williams return to his former puck bandit like play. In the playoffs Smyth was too slow and he never seemed to have the puck for more than a second or two before dumping it in. I'd prefer LA taking a risk with trading for Wolski or, if healthy, signing UFA Fleishmann who can also play center or LW. Both still have 30 goal potential and fit in nicely with the age of our core players.
I know a lot of you don't care for the shootout, but the fact is, it's here and it isn't going away any time soon. Why would we want to get rid of one of the best face off men in the league, who also is the best shootout scorer in the league? Funny how fans in Vancouver love Manny Malhotra like he's a god around the city and all he does is win faceoffs, and Kings fans want to throw their own players under the bus and run them out of town. Blows me away how some of you don't support your own players top to bottom.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
FroFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, much more likely friends and family in PEI would visit him in NYC.
That's certainly fair enough.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:22 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I know a lot of you don't care for the shootout, but the fact is, it's here and it isn't going away any time soon. Why would we want to get rid of one of the best face off men in the league, who also is the best shootout scorer in the league? Funny how fans in Vancouver love Manny Malhotra like he's a god around the city and all he does is win faceoffs, and Kings fans want to throw their own players under the bus and run them out of town. Blows me away how some of you don't support your own players top to bottom.
Fans just want to see how glorious their rosters look on paper rather than identifying all the little things it takes to win the Stanley Cup, Kings fans included.

I'd love Stoll to score more on the PP rather than miss the net by at least 3 feet, but in a way he's a leader on this team and easily is our go to guy for faceoffs. He's not going anywhere.

He'll be moved from the 2nd line center to the 3rd, making Zus expendable (unless he's willing to sign for ultra cheap, which I don't see happening).

savemefromtears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:24 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I wouldn't sign Handzus for a dollar. He is used way too much by Murray. Dean needs to keep him off the roster.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Fans just want to see how glorious their rosters look on paper rather than identifying all the little things it takes to win the Stanley Cup, Kings fans included.

I'd love Stoll to score more on the PP rather than miss the net by at least 3 feet, but in a way he's a leader on this team and easily is our go to guy for faceoffs. He's not going anywhere.

He'll be moved from the 2nd line center to the 3rd, making Zus expendable (unless he's willing to sign for ultra cheap, which I don't see happening).

Is this you Terry ??????

It's not that complicated.
You don't need little things, you need to do the big things right.
Basically you just have to score more goals than the opponent.

How a player, who is not scoring goals and is not able to control the game to make his linemates scoring goals, is important to the team is way beyond me.

And i would love to hear an explanation for you guys incredible love for faceoffs.

What the hell is making the faceoff so important to you guys ?

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Is this you Terry ??????

It's not that complicated.
You don't need little things, you need to do the big things right.
Basically you just have to score more goals than the opponent.

How a player, who is not scoring goals and is not able to control the game to make his linemates scoring goals, is important to the team is way beyond me.

And i would love to hear an explanation for you guys incredible love for faceoffs.

Possession is 9/10's of the law.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
johnjm22

Richards would be nice (assuming he doesn't suck), but I don't think we need him to roll 4 lines.

Penner-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Simmonds
Richardson-Schenn-Lewis
Parse, Westgarth

Terry will insist on using Westgarth, which eliminates the possibility of having 4 NHL caliber lines.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Quattro

Quote:
wow - really? Have you ever heard of the term "puck possession"?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
markisonfire

Quote:

You can't score goals if you don't have the puck. The top ten teams in terms of face off percentage:
  1. Vancouver
  2. San Jose
  3. Detroit
  4. Florida
  5. Boston
  6. Washington
  7. Phoenix
  8. Colombus
  9. New Jersey
  10. Los Angeles

Seven of the top ten teams made the playoffs this year.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
You can't score goals if you don't have the puck. The top ten teams in terms of face off percentage:
  1. Vancouver
  2. San Jose
  3. Detroit
  4. Florida
  5. Boston
  6. Washington
  7. Phoenix
  8. Colombus
  9. New Jersey
  10. Los Angeles

Seven of the top ten teams made the playoffs this year.
Never would've guessed #10. Seemed like Stoll was the only one who could cleanly win a draw for a good portion of the year.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Never would've guessed #10. Seemed like Stoll was the only one who could cleanly win a draw for a good portion of the year.
Handzus had his moments as well, but yeah Stoll took most of the important draws. Our percentage as a team was top ten I am guessing due to Stoll's dominance on the dot.

NHL Leaders in Faceoff Pct.

5. Stoll 57.5%
41. Handzus 51.7%
56. Kopitar 49.9%

Even Kopitar didn't suck at it, and with Stoll taking as many faceoffs as he does and being top 5, the Kings are top 10 in the NHL.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Handzus had his moments as well, but yeah Stoll took most of the important draws.
... Well, I suppose it's all based on what people would deem to be important, but:

When the Kings were shorthanded, Handzus took 255 draws in the defensive zone, while Stoll took 198.

When the Kings were on the power play, Handzus took 182 draws in the offensive zone, while Stoll took 180.

Stoll took more draws 5-on-5, but if you're looking at draws on special teams to be more critical to the outcome of the game (based on the increased probability of scoring or giving up a goal in those scenarios), then Handzus took more of the important faceoffs than Stoll did.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote