HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
05-19-2011, 11:18 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Can anyone suggest any good workouts (with CDs) that are are less intense/time consuming than P90X? I want to get in good shape but don't have the time for P90X while still finding time for my family, work, and playing the sports I love (hockey and soccer).

The P90X guys have a less intense version (power 90), anyone know if it's any good?

Thanks!
P90x is only 45-60m each day. If you don't have time for that, what do you have time for?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
P90x is only 45-60m each day. If you don't have time for that, what do you have time for?
work (60 hrs/week), family and other sports. It's also 6 days/week and the yoga is 90 minutes. Need more like a good 30 minute workout

Plus it's probably more intense than I'm looking for

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
work (60 hrs/week), family and other sports. It's also 6 days/week and the yoga is 90 minutes. Need more like a good 30 minute workout

Plus it's probably more intense than I'm looking for
Just do a little running, some squats, some pushups and a few core exercises. I think you can do that in 30 minutes and it would be a near full workout.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:52 PM
habsjunkie2*

Yeah you could easily setup a circuit in that amount of time. Have 5 or 6 exercises and do as many as you can in 1minute, then run a lap and onto the next exercise and so on until you complete the 20-30minutes, if you complete the circuit 2 times your first time aim to increase it to 2.5 and eventually 3 and so on.

Squats, Pushups, mountain climbers, lunges, bench dips, planks, ect if you have equipment you can be even more flexible with your exercises.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Kriss, please put a sock it in.
Soon soon

Quote:
People who start GOMAD do not care about fat gain, they care about strength.
I think that's why I said ''if you don't care about gaining fat, then go for it''..

Quote:
I think he's talking about things like fasting and eating saturated fats.
I never suggested people should do full out fasting. I talked about intermittent fasting, and I don't recall telling anybody to actually do it. Just that it was a way to cut, just like stuffing yourself with wtv is a way of ''bulking'' up.
I don't remember ever telling people to eat more saturated fats, why would I do that?
If I did, then it must have been a mistake, but I don't think I ever said that.

Quote:
Weren't you on your university football team? Didn't you preach in your early days here that you gained 35lbs in a summer by eating everything? Weren't you saying this with the same vigor and close mindedness you're using now?
Hmmm, No, no and no. Don't remember ever saying that either.

Quote:
No, that's just retarded and based on nothing.
Well yea, because we all know pasta is just as nutritious as broccoli..

Quote:
Here's a new one for you Kriss: did you know that all the water you drink and shower with contains high amounts of fluoride due to the water treatement process(1ppm in some parts)? Did you know that distilled water doesn't? Maybe you should drink that.
Here's a good one for you too: did you know banging the wall with your head will burn 150cal/h on average? I think I should live up to my new self-entitled, franchise player-influenced, nickname, Mr.Danger, and suggest people should do that for easy trimming after heavy meals.
Another one, did you know 111 111 111x111 111 111= 12345678987654321

Let me know if you want some more, with all my time off from not going to school, I keep myself busy learning these!
Quote:
I find kriss often refers to his personal choice as though it's back by science. It's science alright, pseudo science. (no starches, HIIT vs LISS and many other poorly supported theories) I however, have yet to see him recommend anything dangerous.

The diet in SS is only temporary and will not cause you any long term harm. It's all about juggling your goals with your diet. If you eat healthy 90% of time, but decide you want to bulk up for a few months, it isn't gonna kill you or knock days off your life. It's not a permanent life style, but I don't think Rippetoe ever suggested it should be.
Moderation, moderation, moderation.
A lot of the things I say are backed by science, maybe I don't spend time quoting all the scientific researchs and putting them here, and I do have a lot of in-depth scientific pdf on my laptop, but I can't upload them here.
Some things can be countered, sometimes it's convincing, others not so much. Then it's up to each individual to decide which research, or ideology they fall in line with more.
In any event, I have no problem with Rippetoe, I'm very fond of him and have actually learned a lot from reading his books. I just don't think GOMAD is the right way to go, that's a personal opinion. But I also said that if you're all for it, then good for you (whoever), it's all good. I've already apologized if I rubbed anybody off the wrong way. It can happen on the net, so I don't take anything personal, nor should anybody..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:47 AM
GlobalNews

I'm a massive proponent of Starting Strength. Every single person who asks me about getting started in working out, that is what I recommend. However unless they are tiny little people I tell them to completely ignore the dietary recommendations and actually point them towards intermittent fasting as I've dropped from 330 pounds to 180, whilst my squat went from 140 to 300.

Essentially what I'm saying is that you guys don't need to be butting heads over this. There is more than one way to skin a cat you can both actually be correct. Fitness is all about individuals goals. There is no one way to do anything in life.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:24 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
I'm a massive proponent of Starting Strength. Every single person who asks me about getting started in working out, that is what I recommend. However unless they are tiny little people I tell them to completely ignore the dietary recommendations and actually point them towards intermittent fasting as I've dropped from 330 pounds to 180, whilst my squat went from 140 to 300.

Essentially what I'm saying is that you guys don't need to be butting heads over this. There is more than one way to skin a cat you can both actually be correct. Fitness is all about individuals goals. There is no one way to do anything in life.
Agreed, im not really butting heads over SS, I think it's an outstanding program though, but there are many ways to get to your goals, my problem is some poster seem to think they have all the answers and if you're not doing it their way, you're doing it wrong. I've stated from the beginning that I'm very flexible in my training/diet and think others should be too, especially those looking to lose weight, ideally whatever keeps you coming back for more is what you should continue to do.

Old
05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
speed11

Quote:
How's it going man.
on a new lifting regimen....slowly creeping up to the 190 mark...

what about you? it's been a while...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:41 AM
LyricalLyricist

Been preparing lunches before work and school. Before, fruits and good meat all the time. Dropped soft drinks and I feel better. Avoiding ordering or buying food. I'm not sure how much weight I'll losethis way but I can def foresee a loss just like this.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
ClasslessGuy

any review or advice for 1MR?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Well guys, I gotta get back on track. I had a good start 6 months ago but I lost interest after my car crash. Now I went to see the doctor today and my whole system is fine (blood sugar, thyroid and all). The only problems I have is a slightly high cholesterol (still in the green zone) and high pressure (yellow zone). Those are two problems that can be very dangerous but they're also problems that can be fixed in quite a short time without any medication.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do this but I have to... I've always liked to keep everything to myself and never tell anyone anything. This time however I think I need to make this 'public' and feel like I have an honor to defend or something. I think I'll put my intentions on facebook so that everyone I know can either support me or tell me I won't make it. Either way I win because I will want to either keep my word or get to say "in your face"

Last edited by knuck: 06-06-2011 at 05:37 PM.
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
My brother just got it, I'll let you know what he thinks of it. I've been stacking Jack3d and BSN NO Explode. I've also cut weight and have been giving a greater effort during my workouts.

CPrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
Well guys, I gotta get back on track. I had a good start 6 months ago but I lost interest after my car crash. Now I went to see the doctor today and my whole system is fine (blood sugar, thyroid and all). The only problems I have is a slightly high cholesterol (still in the green zone) and high pressure (yellow zone). Those are two problems that can be very dangerous but they're also problems that can be fixed in quite a short time without any medication.

I'm not sure how I'm going to do this but I have to... I've always liked to keep everything to myself and never tell anyone anything. This time however I think I need to make this 'public' and feel like I have an honor to defend or something. I think I'll put my intentions on facebook so that everyone I know can either support me or tell me I won't make it. Either way I win because I will want to either keep my word or get to say "in your face"
You'll make it, just remember most of this is controlled in the kitchen. Exercise has a cholesterol lowering effect when the heart rate is elevated for 30minutes or more (another reason to do LISS over HIIT) It will help increase your HDL and in turn lower your LDL.

The first change I would make is adding a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast, if you can't stomach that, all bran is probably even better, add pieces of fruit, banana, strawberries, blueberries whatever. Fiber fights cholesterol. If you just can't do any of that, supplement with metamucil. This change alone will decrease your cholesterol by substantial amounts, then focus on losing weight ect next.

Goodluck and stick with it. You should try one month of the above and also eliminate takeout as much as possible, dunno if you do or not already?

Old
06-07-2011, 07:45 AM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:

I started reading Eat Stop Eat which is about intermittent fasting. I've heard good stuff about it so I started doing it too, just had my first 24 hour fasting day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

How often do you do it per week? I'm starting with once a week but will try to move to twice a week once I get more comfortable with it.

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:06 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfk711 View Post
I started reading Eat Stop Eat which is about intermittent fasting. I've heard good stuff about it so I started doing it too, just had my first 24 hour fasting day and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

How often do you do it per week? I'm starting with once a week but will try to move to twice a week once I get more comfortable with it.
I don't go for a full day. It's designed typically for 16 hours fast, 8 hour refeed. If you go to Leangains.com it's got the best information on the program as it is intended. Myself I tend to go with 20 hours fast and 4 hours refeed. I have found that for myself (emphasis on myself) that it is the best way to lose fat whilst ensuring I still keep the muscle I have and dare I say actually gain in lean mass as well.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I don't go for a full day. It's designed typically for 16 hours fast, 8 hour refeed. If you go to Leangains.com it's got the best information on the program as it is intended. Myself I tend to go with 20 hours fast and 4 hours refeed. I have found that for myself (emphasis on myself) that it is the best way to lose fat whilst ensuring I still keep the muscle I have and dare I say actually gain in lean mass as well.
Eat stop eat is a different program. It incorporates 24hr fasting sessions. Up to 2 per week.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:19 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Definitely a 10/10 pre-workout supplement. The thing is that it has 1.3 DM in it which I tried to steer clear from this year.

I've tried a bunch and 1MR is my favorite. I like it over Jack3d, and even though it doesn't have creatine in it, it's not like Jack3d had an effective dosage of it either.

That being said, I'd try to avoid anything with 1.3 DM.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:22 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Definitely a 10/10 pre-workout supplement. The thing is that it has 1.3 DM in it which I tried to steer clear from this year.

I've tried a bunch and 1MR is my favorite. I like it over Jack3d, and even though it doesn't have creatine in it, it's not like Jack3d had an effective dosage of it either.

Everyone should do their own stack with separate ingredients. You actually have more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff. Just put a full serving of creatine, beta-alanine, a little bit of sugar (like dextrose or maltrodetrine; which is as cheap as 3.25$ for 1.5 kg) and 1/4 to 1/3 scoop of whey protein. If you want caffeine, just buy it a natural supplement store, it's extremely cheap.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

Quote:
Eat stop eat is a different program. It incorporates 24hr fasting sessions. Up to 2 per week.
Yeah it's a 24hour fast every 3-5 days

dfk711* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Quote:
You'll make it, just remember most of this is controlled in the kitchen. Exercise has a cholesterol lowering effect when the heart rate is elevated for 30minutes or more (another reason to do LISS over HIIT) It will help increase your HDL and in turn lower your LDL.

The first change I would make is adding a bowl of oatmeal every morning for breakfast, if you can't stomach that, all bran is probably even better, add pieces of fruit, banana, strawberries, blueberries whatever. Fiber fights cholesterol. If you just can't do any of that, supplement with metamucil. This change alone will decrease your cholesterol by substantial amounts, then focus on losing weight ect next.

Goodluck and stick with it. You should try one month of the above and also eliminate takeout as much as possible, dunno if you do or not already?
Hey thanks for the info

I eat take out about once a month, maybe twice. It's not a bad habit that I have so that makes it one easy thing to take care of out of a hundred difficult ones

My two biggest vices are drinking 7up and eating cookies (no, I do no mix the two ). I reduced my 7up intake by about 95% and only drink a can once every few days now (and have been for a few months). This was natural because I was getting sick of drinking that crap anyway.

Cookies however are difficult to get away from for me. There is nothing I like eating more than fudgee-o or chips ahoy along with a big glass of milk. It beats literally everything else

Old
06-09-2011, 05:29 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
Hey thanks for the info

I eat take out about once a month, maybe twice. It's not a bad habit that I have so that makes it one easy thing to take care of out of a hundred difficult ones

My two biggest vices are drinking 7up and eating cookies (no, I do no mix the two ). I reduced my 7up intake by about 95% and only drink a can once every few days now (and have been for a few months). This was natural because I was getting sick of drinking that crap anyway.

Cookies however are difficult to get away from for me. There is nothing I like eating more than fudgee-o or chips ahoy along with a big glass of milk. It beats literally everything else
Your big glass of milk could be contributing to the problem as well, depending on how many big glasses you have per day and whether it's whole, 2%, 1% or skim.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:43 AM
knuck
On and off fan

yeah I know but milk is not all bad and I don't want to stop entirely. I do drink less than when I was a teenager though so I should be fine. Oh and the less I eat cookies, the less I tend to drink milk

Old
06-09-2011, 07:17 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post

Nice thank you!

Another question, do I take it before a training or first thing in the morning even if I don't train until 4-5p.m?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Nice thank you!

Another question, do I take it before a training or first thing in the morning even if I don't train until 4-5p.m?
take pre workouts before your trainings.... and you should actually do what I said instead of buying some over-expensive stuff. It's more effective and a lot cheaper.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

What's the best fast food ish place health wise? I mean, forget the burger places, but let's say sandwhiches and subs. I used to go to subway but changed to cultures and get a sandwhich, 2 salads and an apple juice. It's the best place i'm aware of that's easy to find. I'm not referring to a random health food store in middle of nowhere. I mean more the stuff you're likely to find around.