HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Nashville Predators: Franchise Analysis

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
  #51
thomas magnum
Registered User
 
thomas magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Yeah I hear you guys. While everyone loves the "big splash" signings or trades, that is a good way to run a team in a small (non-traditional) market that doesn't have the cash to spend that they might in Toronto or Montreal.

This probably won't be the end of me asking a question that is a little naive as I'm getting to learn the team more. Thanks for the insight.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
  #52
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas magnum View Post
Yeah I hear you guys. While everyone loves the "big splash" signings or trades, that is a good way to run a team in a small (non-traditional) market that doesn't have the cash to spend that they might in Toronto or Montreal.

This probably won't be the end of me asking a question that is a little naive as I'm getting to learn the team more. Thanks for the insight.
That's what we're here for. Trust me, we're just glad you joined us.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
  #53
ffwrx
Don't Blink!
 
ffwrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greenbrier, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
That's what we're here for. Trust me, we're just glad you joined us.
Yeah! Im loving all of the new posters. As more of a reader than a poster the threads seem busier.

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
  #54
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
What if nashville went after a Brooks Laich type guy? great center who seems to make plays happen while being defensively responsible?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
  #55
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,917
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
What if nashville went after a Brooks Laich type guy? great center who seems to make plays happen while being defensively responsible?
Nashville has a ton of those they need to find a way to get a PURE goal scorer on their team. My pipe dream would be Iggy.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
  #56
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
I think it's a great opportunity for us vets to re-evaluate the franchise. We get holed into certain topics for so long, we can lose sight of other areas that maybe haven't been brought up for a while.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:16 AM
  #57
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Also, I expect any scoring forwards to price themselves out of Nashville once they become UFA. The team will pony up the cash to keep defensemen (Weber, Suter) and maybe a goalie (Rinne, depends on if they learned a lesson from letting Vokoun go). But they believe the forwards are easier to replenish.
Poile surely didn't want to let Vokoun go. He was forced to and was lucky to get what he got for him.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:20 AM
  #58
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
Funny...The first name that really popped into my mind was a guy liek Iginla, but I didn't know if NSV would be willing to give up what it would take to lure him away from CGY. Was kinda looking at Free Agents. Not that great of a UFA crop this year

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
  #59
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Poile surely didn't want to let Vokoun go. He was forced to and was lucky to get what he got for him.
Of course he didn't want to, but they could have brought him back, having Mason seemingly ready to handle the starters role made it an easier decision.

I just hope that when we need to pay Rinne, if the team is in a financial bind, that Poile still finds a way to get a deal done instead of conceding and handing it off to Lindback. I think Lindy could probably do well, but sticking with a sure thing All-Star level goalie would be preferred.

For the record, I don't think there will be any problems retaining Rinne.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
  #60
thomas magnum
Registered User
 
thomas magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Funny...The first name that really popped into my mind was a guy liek Iginla, but I didn't know if NSV would be willing to give up what it would take to lure him away from CGY. Was kinda looking at Free Agents. Not that great of a UFA crop this year
I don't know that Iginla has it in him to keep putting up the same numbers for the next few years and that is what you would want out of a guy you would have to give up as much as you do to get him. Which I'm assuming would be probably Suter or maybe 2 of the best defensive prospects and a 2nd line forward and a draf pick.

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
  #61
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
Was kinda looking at Free Agents. Not that great of a UFA crop this year
Seems like the 3rd/4th year in a row that it's been a down market. One or two big prizes and nobody else is worth the overpayment that day 1 free agents command.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
  #62
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Of course he didn't want to, but they could have brought him back, having Mason seemingly ready to handle the starters role made it an easier decision.

I just hope that when we need to pay Rinne, if the team is in a financial bind, that Poile still finds a way to get a deal done instead of conceding and handing it off to Lindback. I think Lindy could probably do well, but sticking with a sure thing All-Star level goalie would be preferred.

For the record, I don't think there will be any problems retaining Rinne.
I'm curious as to when you think Poile could have brought him back. The contract Vokoun had was a no trade clause and we would have had to overpay Florida to get him back. Did I miss something?

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
  #63
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
The only two UFAs you might get a good value on are Ponikarovsky and Frolov...And that's if you're banking on them having a rebound year.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
  #64
thomas magnum
Registered User
 
thomas magnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
The only two UFAs you might get a good value on are Ponikarovsky and Frolov...And that's if you're banking on them having a rebound year.
Didn't Frolov tear an ACL? I'd lean to Ponikarovsky but still don't know if he is the answer. How would he fit on a team like this?

thomas magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:37 PM
  #65
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
I'm curious as to when you think Poile could have brought him back. The contract Vokoun had was a no trade clause and we would have had to overpay Florida to get him back. Did I miss something?
Bring him back as in not trade him in the first place. With the uncertainty at the time and maybe/maybe not under orders from Leipold to devalue the franchise to make an easier sale, he didn't have much choice. I still think that if the local group had been in place, and Balsillie was never in the picture, that Vokoun could have been retained.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:57 PM
  #66
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,932
vCash: 500
If we cant get a pure scorer, lets trade Franson+ for Hartnell and Leino

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  #67
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinOneel View Post
The only two UFAs you might get a good value on are Ponikarovsky and Frolov...And that's if you're banking on them having a rebound year.
Frolov signed in Russia.

The circumstances are quite different, but Ponikarovsky could be another Kostitsyn for us if we could get him on the cheap.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:49 PM
  #68
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
If we cant get a pure scorer, lets trade Franson+ for Hartnell and Leino
Leino will be a UFA. We could just sign him, but I wouldn't trade for his rights. Franson and Hartnell could make for an interesting basis of a trade. I don't really like Hartnell and think paying him would be $3.7mil worth of redundancy, but that trade could work.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:14 PM
  #69
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Leino will be a UFA. We could just sign him, but I wouldn't trade for his rights. Franson and Hartnell could make for an interesting basis of a trade. I don't really like Hartnell and think paying him would be $3.7mil worth of redundancy, but that trade could work.
I could deal, hes a better Hornqvist

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
  #70
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,188
vCash: 500
peverley could probably come back to nashville for relaitvely little in return if boston wins this series. any interest in that?

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
  #71
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
peverley could probably come back to nashville for relaitvely little in return if boston wins this series. any interest in that?
Not really because Peverley didn't fit in in the first place.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
  #72
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
peverley could probably come back to nashville for relaitvely little in return if boston wins this series. any interest in that?
Why, so he can go back to sucking at everything?

He will carve out a solid career as an NHL journeyman, but that journey should not and likely will not include a second tour of duty with us.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:38 PM
  #73
KevFist
is best pony
 
KevFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 5,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Why, so he can go back to sucking at everything?

He will carve out a solid career as an NHL journeyman, but that journey should not and likely will not include a second tour of duty with us.
This.

Raptor Jezus needs to play in a system where he can freewheel a bit. That's not going to happen in the Nashville system. Besides, he's not really THAT responsible when it comes to defense. He can be when he wants to be, but it's probably the weakest part of his game.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
  #74
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
peverley could probably come back to nashville for relaitvely little in return if boston wins this series. any interest in that?
There are fans around here who are still a bit bitter over how things went with Peverley (I'm not one of them), but the fact is that he was given plenty of opportunities in all sorts of roles while in Nashville. From grinder duties to top line duties with the likes of Paul Kariya (when PK was actually producing... a lot). For whatever reason he just never clicked here. With all of that said, I think if he were to come back his lack of defense wouldn't be nearly as noticeable. He certainly isn't the piece of the puzzle we are lacking though. Not even close

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
  #75
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Any chance Preds would be interested in a Danny Heatly deal

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.