HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want with the #16th Overall?

View Poll Results: Who is your pick at #16?
D Jonas Brodin 0 0%
C Boone Jenner 1 1.75%
LW Nicklas Jensen 2 3.51%
RW Tomas Jurco 0 0%
C Alexander Khokhlachev 8 14.04%
C Mark McNeill 21 36.84%
C J.T. Miller 2 3.51%
RW Vladislav Namestnikov 0 0%
D Jamieson Oleksiak 3 5.26%
C Zach Phillips 2 3.51%
LW Matt Puempel 1 1.75%
RW Ty Rattie 1 1.75%
LW Brandon Saad 1 1.75%
C Mark Scheifele 9 15.79%
Trade the Pick for a prospect/roster player 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
OcAirlines

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
I totally agree. They could give up Dennis Person & the rights to Philip Gogulla to move up.
Add the rights to Buravchikov or they'll hang up immediatley!

Sorry that i forgot Grimali guys, honestly didn't think of him, maybe it was the do not want-reflex .

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

I reeeally hope McNeill falls to us. I can see us drafting Gibson or Brodin .

1. McNeill
2. Jensen
3. Jenner
4. Schiefele
5. Khokhlachev

11Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

a lot of depth at center this year.

Vladislav Namestnikov- i like the level of skill that he has.
Mark McNeill
Mark Scheifele
Zach Phillips

and at wing

Khokhlachev- productive for winsor with kassian
jensen-
saad

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 06-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Voted McNeill but he'll probably be gone.

Though I'd rather trade up into the top 5 or back enough to grab Rask and an additional pick or 2.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Krnage

i voted Jamieson Oleksiak ...imagine him and Myers

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:53 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
Can we please not get carried away with the novelty of it and address real team needs?

Last edited by SoFFacet: 06-08-2011 at 12:00 AM.
SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:12 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
Can we please not get carried away with the novelty of it and address real team needs?
Second.

McNabb is 6'5" (Or 6'4" depending on where you read) and could one day be Myers' partner. We have another big mean defender on the blueline waiting. We need a forward this draft, more specifically a center.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:13 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Got the Red Line Report this morning. The highest rated in that pole is JT Miller at #9. The 16th ranked player is McNeill. Compares his style to Dubinsky.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Got the Red Line Report this morning. The highest rated in that pole is JT Miller at #9. The 16th ranked player is McNeill. Compares his style to Dubinsky.
Which Red Line did you pick up? I have a flight today and will be grabbing the FC guide for something to read. Ironically enough... I'll be in Atlanta for my layover.

06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Which Red Line did you pick up? I have a flight today and will be grabbing the FC guide for something to read. Ironically enough... I'll be in Atlanta for my layover.
Gotta say of all the airports my ass was stuck in over the last two weeks, Atlanta's was probably the nicest. Having a Charley's that had the Braves game on helped

But seriously if you have time grab a sub from them. It's heaven.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Just the scouting report (not the full version). Interesting...he's got Couturier all the way down at 8

If you see any of the ASG, give 'em a swift kick....ahhh nevermind.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Just the scouting report (not the full version). Interesting...he's got Couturier all the way down at 8

If you see any of the ASG, give 'em a swift kick....ahhh nevermind.
....right in the jewels?

Yeah, Kyle's always got some interesting rankings. Couturier is the guy I personally want them to trade up to get, but I just don't see him sliding far enough to get into the range they could get into.

McNeill of the guys who might be around at 16 has been a favorite for a while. Problem is, he, like early season fav Strome have seemingly surged up to a point they won't be around.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
....right in the jewels?

Yeah, Kyle's always got some interesting rankings.
Yes, please.

His initial comments on Rocco Grimaldi (#10)

Quote:
Short enough to punch a penguin in the gonads.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Yes, please.

His initial comments on Rocco Grimaldi (#10)

For some teams, Grimaldi should be intriguing. For Buffalo though, not so much. This team has more hobbits than a Peter Jackson fanclub. Hmmm, perhaps they can develop a way to burrow to the net...

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

For some teams, Grimaldi should be intriguing. For Buffalo though, not so much. This team has more hobbits than a Peter Jackson fanclub. Hmmm, perhaps they can develop a way to burrow to the net...

He says about McNeill that he's big and skilled, but can be too passive.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:

I understand that there is this popular intuition around here that we are approaching a critical mass of short players that if we were to actually reach, would lead to the catastrophic failure of our team. Therefore regardless of how skilled, we just can't select Grimaldi.

Certainly at some point at some point having too many short players will hamper a team's overall ability to win board battles. Right now we have three - Roy, Ennis, and Gerbe. Put me down on the list of people skeptical that the critical number is four. Worth mentioning is that while board battles are important, they are not the only part of hockey. I remember a thread where Vancouver fans were quite adamant that Kesler's line almost only ever scores in transition.

I'm seeing things like this: The Sabres are basically never a lottery team, and that doesn't seem likely to change any time soon given the declared 3-year cup strategy. Ideally, we are looking at selecting 20th or worse in the first round every year for an extended period of time. I know that everyone wants huge guys with skill, but the fact is that everyone wants those kind of guys and they are going to get snatched up well before they come to our picks. What are we going to do, trade up every year to get them? Its not feasible. So who drops into the 20-30 range? Big guys with flaws. And little guys with skill.

Puck Prospectus says of Grimaldi - "If only he was 5'11", then he'd go first overall. He is one of the, if not the most gifted player in this draft class from a pure hockey skills perspective." Players like Grimaldi are how teams like the Sabres acquire lottery-level draft talent without being a lottery team.

And if you look at the projected roster several years from now, its not like we don't have big players to balance things out. Myers, Gaustad, Kassian, Adam, Stafford, McNabb, McCormick, Vanek, and Weber are all at least 6' 2'', with some being significantly taller.

I just think too many posters are dismissing Grimaldi too quickly because "we already have some short players" is quick and sloganizable, and because we as Sabres fans always are worried about our team being too soft, even though we've given at least as good as we've gotten in two straight postseason series.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I just think too many posters are dismissing Grimaldi too quickly because "we already have some short players" is quick and sloganizable, and because we as Sabres fans always are worried about our team being too soft, even though we've given at least as good as we've gotten in two straight postseason series.
i dont want to derail this... but... 2 straight post seasons??? the Sabres got their ***** kicked in the size/physicality aspects in the boston series.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
ttcminaker

If the pick stays at #16 and the choice is between say Jenner, who could top out as a character 3rd line centre or Grimaldi who could top out as a top two centre, you take Grimaldi. The object of any draft is aquire the best players you can with your picks. You can't dismiss talent based on other players on the roster (Grimaldi because of Ennis, Gerbe, Byron). Trades can always reshape a roster.

If they don't move up in the draft or trade for an established centre, than I wouldn't mind Grimaldi at all if he is as talented as they say. This fanbase still won't forgive them for letting a 5"8 centre shuffle off to Philly.
I hope for an impact player whoever it may be.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Dabs21Nike

If Grimaldi is BPA or even best center available, I definitely take him. We need an offensive center and he might be the most talented one in this draft. If he was a couple inches taller he'd be a top 5 pick IMO.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
If the pick stays at #16 and the choice is between say Jenner, who could top out as a character 3rd line centre or Grimaldi who could top out as a top two centre, you take Grimaldi. The object of any draft is aquire the best players you can with your picks. You can't dismiss talent based on other players on the roster (Grimaldi because of Ennis, Gerbe, Byron). Trades can always reshape a roster.

If they don't move up in the draft or trade for an established centre, than I wouldn't mind Grimaldi at all if he is as talented as they say. This fanbase still won't forgive them for letting a 5"8 centre shuffle off to Philly.
I hope for an impact player whoever it may be.
If it's down between Grimaldi and Jenner, something went horribly wrong for the Sabres during the top 15 picks. Sounds like Jenner is a very late-1st rounder or 2nd rounder.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:31 PM
blitzschmitz

Not sure how or if we could get in a Position to draft Ryan Murphy But he is the player we need in the draft.Sure we need to stock our forwards a bit now but i still feel we need a game changer on the pp.
Myers-Murphy would be sick

blitzschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote