HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Donovan

Old
01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
mm11

vCash: 500
Matt Donovan

Not sure if many here have had the chance to watch this kid play for Denver? I have to admit we may have another pleasant 2008 draft pick surprise to add to the list. Just watched him vrs North Dakota and man can this kid skate great. Always has his head up, shirt tail is whipping and man can he sling the puck up nice. kind of reminds me of Brian Campell.

Noticied him barking at his #1 ranked team in the country vrs the fighting Sioux on their turf as a Freshman just coming back from the WJC. I think we plucked him from the USHL which is becoming a nice little drafting hot bed for the Isles lately with KO leading that way but that is for another thread.

This Donovan kid kind of takes my eyes away from AAron Nees whom I thought was going to be our puck rushing D man of the future. I came away impressed. Anyone feel the same about MD?

take a look at our 2008 Draft. Holy smokes on paper is looks epic

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Dice on Ice

Donovan has looked great thus far in both the WJC and college play, but patience is necessary. He needs to be more physical in his own end and add bulk.

Don't dismiss Ness, either. That guy's skating is incredible. He's stuck in a bad program, but the Isles are going to get him to the Bridge at some point and try to right his ship. He's extremely smooth in all aspects.

The '08 draft does look awesome thus far. Reminds of '06, which was pretty successful already and still has some guys who may contribute (Joensuu, Rakhshani, Sims, and Ridderwall come to mind).

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
Not sure if many here have had the chance to watch this kid play for Denver? I have to admit we may have another pleasant 2008 draft pick surprise to add to the list. Just watched him vrs North Dakota and man can this kid skate great. Always has his head up, shirt tail is whipping and man can he sling the puck up nice. kind of reminds me of Brian Campell.

Noticied him barking at his #1 ranked team in the country vrs the fighting Sioux on their turf as a Freshman just coming back from the WJC. I think we plucked him from the USHL which is becoming a nice little drafting hot bed for the Isles lately with KO leading that way but that is for another thread.

This Donovan kid kind of takes my eyes away from AAron Nees whom I thought was going to be our puck rushing D man of the future. I came away impressed. Anyone feel the same about MD?

From the little I saw of him in the WJC, I agree on the bolded parts. I came away very impressed.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Drafts always look good a year or two out. It's not 'til you get 4-5 years out that you get a true read on it... which is almost inevitably less "epic" than what it seemed like 2 years out.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:18 AM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Drafts always look good a year or two out. It's not 'til you get 4-5 years out that you get a true read on it... which is almost inevitably less "epic" than what it seemed like 2 years out.

you know I agree with this statement and believe in what the great Winston Wolf says " let's not s*ck each others d***K yet" about the 2008 draft but I cannot notice

Josh Bailey already producing 3rd line numbers at age 20 and showing alot of skill and poise as a top 10 pick

Travis Hamonic: 2nd round on paper looking like a stud blue chip defenseman out of the WHL. Leader all around, strong as heck, drafted as a shut down guy and in one year is well over a point a game as arguably Canada's best d man in the WJC. On the fast track to the NHL

Aaron Ness: 2nd round : like one mentioned in this thread, has NHL wheels and can skate backwards as fast as some NHL d men skate forward. Smooth as silk with great vision and shot. All everything for Roseau a MN state high school legandary HS for a few years where the great Neil Broten was from. Practically grew up on the Canadian/MN border. Man its cold up there! won a few state titles as well. smart kid, graduated early to go to the U. Struggling first year at THe U. Is a tiny kid so size may hold him back, Still a big question mark

Cory Trivino: another 2nd round: its strange but our 2nd rounders are quite dissapointing considering this draft. Plays for BU, decent size but needs to bulk up. Real good skater and highly skilled. Just has not put it together. As a freshman he won the national title playing 2nd 3rd line key minutes and was a real contributor. Was expecting more his Soph season. Kind of going through the motions. May not make the NHL and right now is dissapointing

The rest of the draft we are littered with NHL potential talents

Oleg Petrov: 3rd round: interesting pick, rated 2nd best Euro skater going into draft. A wild card b/c no one knows when or if he comes to NA. Because the Isles loaded up picks in 2008 they took a chance on him and he has looked great in this years WJC and other tourneys. Huge 6'3 with nice hands. Upside is first line LW

Jryi Niemi: 6'2 Finn Defenseman who plays in the WHL drafted in the 3rd round. great size, plays fairly tough and mean and has a bomb. Made the WJC and was team captain. He is a long shot as rumors are his hockey sense is lacking and may take 3-4 years if anything. Put him on the back burner for awhile folks

David Toews: the 3rd 3rd round pick: Has the bloodlines atleast. Playing for the Fighting Sioux, seems like a long shot to make the NHL right now. Playing important minutes but is not elite at anything. Put him away on the shelf and see what we have in 3 years. He is a great skater but is under sized right now

So after three rounds if the draft stopped Now: we would have a sure NHLer in Bailey, just about a NHLer in Hamonic and exstreme wildcards in Petrov and Ness. The other 4 picks are long shots

This is where th draft actually gets good!

4th rounder and down:

96th overall in the 4th round: Matt Donovan: why this thread started. As of right now as a freshman he is on the #1 team in the country, plays huge big minutes and just came back from winning gold at the WJC playing for USA. He looks to me a slick, smooth skating hockey smart rushing D man to me. Grew up in the middle if America not exactly a hockey hot bed i think in Iowa of all places I believe. Played USHL Junior league and was just about the best D man there. Really moving up the charts for NY Isles defensive prospects. Probably 2-3 years away so he can learn the defensive aspects because I have to assume his coaching was not the best in Iowa. No offense please, but a year or two in Denver and maybe a year at the bridge will be perfect. Hopefully by age 22-23 this kid has grown alittle and gets some teeth. if so we have a top four smooth skating D man. great pick at 96!

David Ultsrom 4th round 102 . We got this pick from Chicago as we traded down in the first to get Josh Bailey. Ulstrom is a typical up and down winger with great size and speed at 6'3. Was a main force for Sweden in last years WJC and turned heads. Playing in the Sweden elite league and putting up outstanding numbers for a kid. Was a head turner at NYI summer camps and pre season camps this year. He is on the fast track to a NHL career as a top 9 NHL winger. Sort of like a Sean Bergenheim we hope but a tad bigger!! I'll take that for a 4th rounder. His size and skating ability will just about get him an automatic look at the NHL level. Id say he has an outside chance next year to make the young isles if he surprises as camp, probably 2 years away

the 5th round, my favorite!

Matt Martin drafted round 5 # 148 I believe: Steve webb with some skill. Built Sarnia tough from Windsor, ONT. Just over the lake from Detroit, MI. Tough, tough, tough customer. Has the will of a tiger and a heart of a lion. Was captain everywhere he has played. Was almost a point a game in junior but that means nothing. Will stick up for all his teammates and is a legit middle weight in the making. 6'2 200 lbs right now. probably max out at 210-215. Hardest hitter in the Isles system, playing for Bridegport and already is putting some points up. Team loves him. I would not be surprised he gets a cup a coffee this year to reward Martin for his blood sweat and tears. He deserves it. It will give him a chance to see what he will he up against at the NHL level. Martin will do whatever it takes to make the show. Maybe a career 3rd, 4th liner but we will love him!!! wont be surprised one day he forges a top six spot just from his determination. What a NY Islander should be all about. Would be a staple on the vintage cup winning Isles playing along side the kids from Viking Alberta I believe

Kevin Poulin 5th round 128 pick: Goalie, seems to be a boom or bust goalie. Was rated as #1 goalie in the QMJHL by the great Patrick Roy. The ISles seem to love him. may very well be a NHler one day. No rush at all. Seemed to turn heads at camp this year and coach Gordon liked him alot I understand. Put him in the system along with our 6'5 2nd round goalies of year and let them fight it out. good to have this guy. Had great size at 6'2

11 picks, plus 2 guys in the 6th round Spurdgeon and Dibenedetto whom I spelled both guys names way wrong are long shots. even though Dibo as a 21 year old is playing inthe AHL right now putting up pedestrian numbers as a first year pro.

In my opinion, Bailey, Hamonic, Donovan, Ness, Ulstrom, Martin, and Petrov play for the Isles one day. That is 7 skaters from one draft making the big dance. A few of these guys could be difference makers to say the least as one already is getting airtime on NHL on the fly as our young core. So far so good as I just dont see these guys getting worse the next few years.

just may be the NYI best draft ever as far as depth. Dont worry I did not say best ever because I was old enough to remember the Gillies /trotts draft....man that is epic eh? B/t/w Bamm bamm Langevin was drafted in the 7th round from U of Minnesota Duluth 112 th overall in the Gillies/trotts draft of 74.....No other NHler's from the Isles 74 draft but it produced (2) NHL hockey HOF and multiple Stanley Cup champs plus a big bruising Dman in the 7th that won 4 cups as well

Also: in 1977 Isles Drafted Mike Bossy in the first round and the great John Tonelli in the 2nd. The rest of the draft produced no NHlers.

my point here is the 2008 draft just may be our best ever from a depth perspective, it will never be our best eve unless it lands (2) HOF lol because that trumps everything

1979 will be its competition for the deepest draft with:

Duane Sutter going first, Thomas Jonsson 2nd and Billy Carrol 2nd round, Rollie the goalie in the 3rd round, and no other NHlers.

sorry for the long thread. Its a lazy Sunday morning and i figured us Isles fans needed some decent news

Old
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Renbarg

Donovan tries to be too cute sometimes. If he simplified his game in the dzone he would be awesome. He also needs to get stronger (but I suspect that will come with age, he already has a nice frame).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:

Oleg Petrov: 3rd round: interesting pick, rated 2nd best Euro skater going into draft.

probably just an oversite, but its kirill petrov...oleg petrov is a former nhler nearing 40 yrs of age and plays for Atlant Moscow Oblast with another Oleg we all love...

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:27 PM
mm11

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
probably just an oversite, but its kirill petrov...oleg petrov is a former nhler nearing 40 yrs of age and plays for Atlant Moscow Oblast with another Oleg we all love...
thanks for the catch, I was in a groove alittle and Oleg came out instead of Kirill lol

Old
02-02-2010, 01:31 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
thanks for the catch, I was in a groove alittle and Oleg came out instead of Kirill lol
haha yeah no problem...ive actually done the same and caught myself before posting so i figured it was just what you said...you get in a groove and dont bother double checking haha

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
DPSNAGS

to me donovan offensive instincts are natural which is good for a dman as his young age....like others have said once he improves his d play and bulks up he may become a solid 2nd pairing dmen for us

i say hes got 1 more year in college and then 1 or 2 in BP before hes ready for the show

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
NHLFreak

Can anyone tell me about his shot?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:03 PM
islandersfreak21

I am happily surprised about donovan. I like his offense A LOT. If he works on his D a little bit he can be a 3 or 4 d man.

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote