HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets shopping the 8th Overall. PHI, EDM interested?

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 06:27 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
The answer for wing could be in the room.. Just maybe not ideal for next year. Let's not forget Calvert will be attempting to build off a decent rooking performance. Although we aren't exactly loaded at RW.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

we could take the "move johan to wing" for his first year or so not to rush him along...might help his development...

or we could trade brass/vermette/pahlsson as part of a package to get a dman...

Old
06-08-2011, 06:41 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez22 View Post
I honestly think the 8th for Carter is a decent deal in itself. If we have to add something or someone, add Filatov or Wilson, MacKenzie, Boll, Huselius (pipe-dream, I know, not to mention the salary issues), or even the 37th pick.
I honestly think you're nuts. A center capable of 40 goals and a point per game is worth more than a lousy #8 pick in a weak draft.

And those add ins are laughable.

If we can get Carter, a center capable of scoring, for Voracek, a winger who hasn't show the capability of scoring 40 goals and a speculative #8 pick in a weak draft, you make that trade 100 times out of 100. Period.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Taking a step back from the hot and heavy Carter for 8th/Voracek discussion to think about the ramifications or what position we would have in our top 6.

If it happens (I'm not holding my breath) that gives Columbus, suddenly, nice depth at Center. Almost Boston esque before Savard went down. However, something else would have to be in the works because that pulls away one of our top 6 wing. Does Vermette, Brassard or Johansen move to wing? Is this the last chance for Filatov? Does Brassard or Vermette get moved? Do we look to sign Lieno or Fleischmann?

I mean the addition of Carter would really shore up the center position not to mention he is a decent faceoff guy and plays in all three zones (at least when I've seen him play). I don't think a Calvert or Kubalik or Atkinson is ready for top 6 minutes (obviously I'm not the coach ). I'm a little concerned but boy if this happened....I would be pretty happy. Maybe Brassard ++ for Burns? Vermette ++ for Burns?

Damn...wish something would happen one way or another!
Brassard getting moved seems like a real possibility. No way you get rid of Vermette. For one thing, he can be moved to wing in a pinch, though with his faceoff skill that isn't ideal. Ideally, I'd like to see Vermette as third line center.

So, Carter would be on the first line with Nash. Juice probably has to stay on the other wing on that line because you certainly don't want him on the second line with Johansen or Brassard. Umberger stays on the second line. One of Filatov or Calvert would seem the most likely to fill out that line.

Another intersting subplot...what was Upshall's relationship like with Carter? If the Jackets acquire Carter, does Upshall suddenly decide he wants to stick around?

The Jackets might want to at least pick up a depth wing. A tweener, Raffi-Torres type that can play on the third line or in the top 6. I maintain those types of players can be acquired at a reasonable price, and you cross that bridge when you come to it if you can pick up Carter.

The defense is still going to need work and players like Brassard, Juice, Filatov or possibly Pahlsson (have to keep one of Filatov and Brassard in my view, but not both) should be bullets used to acquire a defenseman assuming Voracek is dealt to get Carter.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

I honestly think the 8th for Carter is a decent deal in itself. If we have to add something or someone, add Filatov or Wilson, MacKenzie, Boll, Huselius (pipe-dream, I know, not to mention the salary issues), or even the 37th pick.
On his own, Carter is worth multiple 1st round picks. He is a #1 Center, the scarcest commodity in the NHL, and he is just now entering his prime.

Voracek + a 1st is an outright steal.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Gomez22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I honestly think you're nuts. A center capable of 40 goals and a point per game is worth more than a lousy #8 pick in a weak draft.

If we can get Carter, a center capable of scoring, for Voracek, a winger who hasn't show the capability of scoring 40 goals and a speculative #8 pick in a weak draft, you make that trade 100 times out of 100. Period.
As a GM, I'd agree. As a fan, I'd like to see Jake another year. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

Old
06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:

I agree with this. Carter is a guy I wanted Atlanta to go after, and think the Jackets should pursue him as well. His presence on the team, alone, will free up space for Nash, and the other forwards. You Nash and Carter on different lines at even strength, to make the opposition play a match-up game, and you play them together on the PP to keep PKers from cheating towards a single trigger man. There is a reason that Kovalchuk had his best offensive seasons on a line with Savard or on the PP with Hossa, and vice versa.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Brassard getting moved seems like a real possibility. No way you get rid of Vermette. For one thing, he can be moved to wing in a pinch, though with his faceoff skill that isn't ideal. Ideally, I'd like to see Vermette as third line center.

So, Carter would be on the first line with Nash. Juice probably has to stay on the other wing on that line because you certainly don't want him on the second line with Johansen or Brassard. Umberger stays on the second line. One of Filatov or Calvert would seem the most likely to fill out that line.

Another intersting subplot...what was Upshall's relationship like with Carter? If the Jackets acquire Carter, does Upshall suddenly decide he wants to stick around?

The Jackets might want to at least pick up a depth wing. A tweener, Raffi-Torres type that can play on the third line or in the top 6. I maintain those types of players can be acquired at a reasonable price, and you cross that bridge when you come to it if you can pick up Carter.

The defense is still going to need work and players like Brassard, Juice, Filatov or possibly Pahlsson (have to keep one of Filatov and Brassard in my view, but not both) should be bullets used to acquire a defenseman assuming Voracek is dealt to get Carter.
i had the same convo this afternoon...upshall i think will still be too pricey for what we would need, but would like to see us atleast try...i def agree with the last line...i can't remember which thread I posted it in, but if its jake, the 8, and goloubef for carter and carle, i wonder if brass, russell, and a 2nd will be close to get brent burns...prob not, but maybe a starter...i may be inclined to add/replace with moore for burns...

Old
06-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Hate getting my hopes up for this deal. If this goes down, it will be the beginning of one hell of a summer, assuming Howson can get a defenseman of top pairing caliber.

Again, until it is confirmed with a link, it is mere confirmed speculation.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:

maybe not 100 out of 100...there's gotta be one or two times where you get the call first thing in the morning, you're still 3/4 asleep and you think its a dream so you laugh and just hang up only to realize you screwed up about 45 min later...

Old
06-08-2011, 07:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
maybe not 100 out of 100...there's gotta be one or two times where you get the call first thing in the morning, you're still 3/4 asleep and you think its a dream so you laugh and just hang up only to realize you screwed up about 45 min later...
Well that or you are just out of budget space and #1 center isn't your immediate need.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Doug19

I wonder how nice it would be to actually have that feeling.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
West Coast sources say that we are talking to TB....
I laughed at this. Not sure why. You just seem so excited to cite Capn as a source.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Anyone else alittle weary of moving Jake?
Not if it means getting a player like Carter.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

so we're all in agreement that the fact that roughly 98% of us are in favor of this move means its not gonna happen...right?

Old
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
As a GM, I'd agree. As a fan, I'd like to see Jake another year. Nothing wrong with that, is there?
No, you have right to want whatever you want. I want to see a WINNER though and not a player I like. I would trade any player in our organization if it meant we would be better.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
we could take the "move johan to wing" for his first year or so not to rush him along...might help his development...

or we could trade brass/vermette/pahlsson as part of a package to get a dman...
No thanks. Johansen is a C and should only play C.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
I've always been a big Jake fan, I'd love to see him fulfill his (in my opinion) vast potential while wearing Union Blue. But I can't help fantasizing about how a lineup with a proven player like Carter (or, in my dream world, Parise ) would perform over one with so many players still trying to play to their potential.

But to answer your question, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
I laughed at this. Not sure why. You just seem so excited to cite Capn as a source.
I've been a source for years on this board. But for many probably just as a source of frustration.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Quote:
I've been a source for years on this board. But for many probably just as a source of frustration.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
But for many probably just as a source of frustration.
Alot of people hate hearing the truth.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Alot of people hate hearing the truth.
Know your role and embrace it. There are no small parts, just really short actors like Tom Cruise, etc.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:19 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Doubt that we will get Jeff Carter

we need a player of his ilk way to badly for that to ever happen. More likely they will try to recycle Jan Hrdina or some such garbage

Old
06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
No thanks. Johansen is a C and should only play C.
Wasn't he moved to wing for the WJC? Did well if I recall.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

While the Carter trade is all speculation at this point, there's no question it has generated lots of chatter here and on the mains.

Who would everyone rather have, all things being equal - Carter or Richards?

Richards just costs cash, while Carter would likely take Voracek and the 8th. Richards is a more proven playoff performer than Carter, but is older and has had concussion issues. The cap hit would be much nicer for Carter and he is likely on the upswing while Richards is closer to the end of his career. However, all things being equal, I probably take Richards at 5 years 37.5 million.

Of course, all things are not equal. The trade for Carter likely has to go down at the draft so that Philly could grab the 8th pick, while negotiations with Richards can't start until July 1. So, if Carter is on the table, I'm all for Howson pulling the trigger unless he is 100% convinced that Richards will sign with the CBJ (and one would think that it should be impossible that he is 100% sure).

Closed Thread