HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edmontons 2012 pick

Old
06-07-2011, 10:14 PM
OilersPride04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I think the Oilers are going to be a lot better this year...not playoffs better, but better nonetheless. I do not see us picking top 5 in 2012. Which could be a good thing for development, or a bad thing regarding picks. There sure is allot of hype for some of these Russians on here.
Sorry but i got to disagree. edmonton gonna lose beacuse the defence is just a mess and our first rounder will be spending a season in the minors another thing that could possibly happen is the problem of signing UFA's. i belive you when you say theyll do better,but not good enough to take us out of the top 5

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Perfect_Drug

- Penner (30 goals)

VERY optimistic improvements by:
Hall - 35 goals (13 goal improvement)
Eberle - 25 goals (7 goal improvement)
MPV - 20 goals (5 goal improvement)
Omark - 10 goals (5 goal improvement)

30 Goal improvement from HOPE!!

YAY!!! If all our prospects play WAY better, do not get bitten by the sophomore jinx, and are un-injurred for the year, we will barely cover the production lost in Penner!!!

Which will still have us last place in goals!

Which will likely keep us in last place in the standings!!

Man!! Yakupov would look damn sick as an Oiler.

FAIL FOR NAIL!! FAIL FOR NAIL!!!!!

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I think the Oilers are going to be a lot better this year...not playoffs better, but better nonetheless. I do not see us picking top 5 in 2012. Which could be a good thing for development, or a bad thing regarding picks. There sure is allot of hype for some of these Russians on here.
I can't imagine why you think that. The only reason the Oilers will look better next year is based solely around how terrible some other teams are going to be. Putting a 'big' free agent signing aside, this team is not an improvement over last year's team.

-Sophomore Slumps
-Still weak on D
-Faceoff and PK needs probably won't be addressed unless we sign Laich or something
-Lack of TOUGHNESS
-1st overall won't make an impact, will play in juniors.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I can't imagine why you think that. The only reason the Oilers will look better next year is based solely around how terrible some other teams are going to be. Putting a 'big' free agent signing aside, this team is not an improvement over last year's team.

-Sophomore Slumps
-Still weak on D
-Faceoff and PK needs probably won't be addressed unless we sign Laich or something
-Lack of TOUGHNESS
-1st overall won't make an impact, will play in juniors.
I think toughness and faceoffs/pk are things that can be addressed, how pessimistic you are about that happening is up to you and I'm not going to try to change your opinion on management. I also think RNH will have a pretty substantial impact, but again I'm not going to be able to change your mind about that.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I think toughness and faceoffs/pk are things that can be addressed, how pessimistic you are about that happening is up to you and I'm not going to try to change your opinion on management. I also think RNH will have a pretty substantial impact, but again I'm not going to be able to change your mind about that.
I'm not discontent on management, I feel it's more detrimental to the future to overpay for fill ins like PK and faceoff guys at this stage of the rebuild. Also, this is a mediocre free agent class. There aren't really any role players, aside from one, I'd like to overpay for. That's the jist of why this is a throw away off season, essentially.

I'd rather RNH not have an impact and allow him one year to grow, physically in juniors, most of this board would agree.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Phlare
Eberle4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
- Penner (30 goals)

YAY!!! If all our prospects play WAY better, do not get bitten by the sophomore jinx, and are un-injurred for the year, we will barely cover the production lost in Penner!!!

I like your enthusiasm

Seriously though, if the young guys can contribute exactly as you said and luck is on our side...Picking the third 1st overall pick would be damn awesome, regardless of finishing last, IMO.

The second most perfect scenario is assuming we don't trade our 1st round pick and finish 25th overall in the standings. If we win the lottery and move from essentially the 5th pick to first pick, I'd be the happiest man on earth.

The best case scenario though is us trading to a team for their first round pick and it ends up being 1st overall while the Oilers go on to be Stanley Cup Champions. I'd go kiss a donkey's ass if that happened.

Phlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
I'm not discontent on management, I feel it's more detrimental to the future to overpay for fill ins like PK and faceoff guys at this stage of the rebuild. Also, this is a mediocre free agent class. There aren't really any role players, aside from one, I'd like to overpay for. That's the jist of why this is a throw away off season, essentially.

I'd rather RNH not have an impact and allow him one year to grow, physically in juniors, most of this board would agree.
I'm not sure most of the board would agree. If RNH shows he's clearly ready in training camp and his first 10 games, then I don't see why we would be clamouring for him to be sent down. It comes down to whether you think he's ready or not. I do.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:24 PM
OilersPride04

Quote:
I'm not sure most of the board would agree. If RNH shows he's clearly ready in training camp and his first 10 games, then I don't see why we would be clamouring for him to be sent down. It comes down to whether you think he's ready or not. I do.
Honestly i dont want him to play next year beacuse i dont want to rush him like we did with Ganger,and Cogliano and we all know how that turned out

OilersPride04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
- Penner (30 goals)

FAIL FOR NAIL!! FAIL FOR NAIL!!!!!
Was this meant to be serious? I sure hope not, your logic is severely flawed if so.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
I have really no doubt in my mind he has the skill to play at this level next year and succeed, but it's too risky considering how small he is. I really don't want to see him get cranked and be scared of the corners, it'll really hinder his development.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
I have really no doubt in my mind he has the skill to play at this level next year and succeed, but it's too risky considering how small he is. I really don't want to see him get cranked and be scared of the corners, it'll really hinder his development.
Ryan Rishaug had a good point on "The Oilers Lunch" a few days ago, being good enough to make the Edmonton Oilers is very different than being ready to play in the NHL.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Shibumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Ryan Rishaug had a good point on "The Oilers Lunch" a few days ago, being good enough to make the Edmonton Oilers is very different than being ready to play in the NHL.

OUCH!

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Futon

Quote:
You talk about him like hes a delicate flower. Hes 174 at the moment and with almost 3 months left till training camp he has plenty of time to put on more weight. It's not like he weighs 150 lbs.

Futon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetriser View Post
You talk about him like hes a delicate flower. Hes 174 at the moment and with almost 3 months left till training camp he has plenty of time to put on more weight. It's not like he weighs 150 lbs.
That's still pretty small. Like someone said earlier, being good enough to make the Oilers doesn't mean you're ready for the NHL.

I don't see why people want to rush him in this year. Do you really think he's going to leap the team into the playoffs or something..?