HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
couldn't disagree more. He showed a lot of heart this year and was not lazy. Is cammy lazy cuz he conserves energy so that he can intercept a pass and go to the right places? The last sentence. A little harsh.
Agreed. The dislike for Pouliot is often blown out of proportion.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
FF de Mars

Sorry for the harshness, but despite all the excellent top tier tools he has, Pouliot lacks balls. He'd need his father ... who's dead. He's a mama's boy, as we've seen in the RDS people's magazine special with Miss Withensaw. The only advice I can tell him is to watch Scarface while he trains all summer (heck, I'd ask Ian Laperierre to mentor him). He's a nice kid that needs to learn to be meaner in the NHL aka in life. Grow a beard or something Benny and proove us all wrong. You had a good run with Gomez and Gio two years ago. Get a meaner mentally and listen to that song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbhQ7...eature=related

About Pouliot's heart and Fish on the Sand. Let me remind you that the problem with Pouliot are his dumb offensive zone penalties. A lot more than lack of backchecking and hooking.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 06-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old
06-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
There is a difference between playing smart and being lazy. Pouliot is lazy. He's too lazy to backcheck so he hooks or trips the guy down and puts the team at a disadvantage. He has all the physical tools to succeed, so the ONLY thing stopping from succeeding is his lack of heart and lazy attitude. It sickens me to the core knowing there are guys like Saku Koivu out there who wear their heart on their sleeve and make things happen despite obvious physical limitations, and then you see Pouliot with every advantage a player could ever ask for looking like he's in a wheelchair on the ice.
Your hyperbole is oozing out of every orifice.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Your hyperbole is oozing out of every orifice.
If I'm guilty of anything its understatement.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:13 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
me too, i like the poor guy and i want him back, but the difference between him and ak is that has learned to not be a ****** in the offensive zone and to be reasonably good defensively.

pouliot hasn't. he will never get a proper shot at a top 6 as long as he keeps playing like ****. you just don't put defensive liabilities on the ice unless they can pot 30+ goals each season.

that said, he will learn, he's young and i have faith that he can at least become another ak: a solid 2nd/3rd line winger with top 3 upside that can pot 20-30 goals each season.

but that is IF he can get his **** together.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:15 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
He is lazy, selfish and is simply only in hockey to collect a paycheck. A disgrace to everybody who has ever played the game with pride.
hyperbolic much?

daigle was in it for the paycheck, not him. i don't believe he is lazy, i believe he is, at time, extremely stupid.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
hyperbolic much?

daigle was in it for the paycheck, not him. i don't believe he is lazy, i believe he is, at time, extremely stupid.
Daigle in his worst season was better than anything we have seen from Pouliot.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Daigle in his worst season was better than anything we have seen from Pouliot.
ok...

Old
06-09-2011, 04:40 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Mahn if Pouliot doesn't get it together but Latendresse notches big numbers in Minny next season this place will go nuts.

hope that does not happen -- Go Benoit!

Old
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Career wise? Flop. He could've been so much better.
As a Hab? Misunderstood, he's been rather effective since showing up here. Not 4th overall former bluechip prospect effective, but still solid.

"Mophead in the middle is the mad scientist of the group. He sits quietly, wide eyed with a smile on his face until someone unleashes him, and then he explodes into an explanation Fury like a coked out physicist explaining the Theory of Relativity to a grade 8 class."
Follow me on Twitter
Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffler View Post
Career wise? Flop. He could've been so much better.
As a Hab? Misunderstood, he's been rather effective since showing up here. Not 4th overall former bluechip prospect effective, but still solid.
Err, Jeffler, welcome and respect, but isn't a bit early to judge 'career'? Still I like you say 'here' part of the family I guess I'm a lot further from Montréal than you but I also use such language, cheers JLP

Old
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Someone should tell Pouliot about these great inventions.

This new age weight lifting technique called the squat.
These new age balance devices: Stability Balls, Bosu Balls, Balance Boards.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
If I'm guilty of anything its understatement.
If that's understatement, you sure fooled me. You don't seem to be moderate in your opinions, so why did you understate? I'm curious to hear the unspoken parts, or are you having second thoughts about being taken for a total loon on this forum?

Old
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Pleky Roks

I think Pouliot has all the tools to be a solid NHL player, he just doesn't have the desire. He's a big guy with a wicked shot that can score goals, but his skating is weak, he can't stand up and he doesn't give it everything he can as often as he should. He needs to get into better shape and become a better skater before he's going to make strides in the NHL....if he stays the way he is, he'll be in the AHL in no time.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Err, Jeffler, welcome and respect, but isn't a bit early to judge 'career'? Still I like you say 'here' part of the family I guess I'm a lot further from Montréal than you but I also use such language, cheers JLP
Not a bit early at all. 4th overall picks tend to show significant stride by this age, he's a flop at this stage of his career no doubt compared to the expectations. He could still rebound...but at the moment, I'd go with flop.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Harry Wong

Very high expectations, the big stud francophone(franco ontarian) who can skate, shoot, hit and fight....What is realistic to expect from him at this stage? Only 14 goals!! The Sedins sisters were being run out of Vancover a couple of years ago. We should be patient. the guy obviously has confidence issues. Lets turn it down a couple of degrees....

Old
06-09-2011, 10:42 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Flop.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If that's understatement, you sure fooled me. You don't seem to be moderate in your opinions, so why did you understate? I'm curious to hear the unspoken parts, or are you having second thoughts about being taken for a total loon on this forum?
There are many things that can, and should be said about Benoit Pouliot, but I choose to hold them back.

Old
06-10-2011, 03:19 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Someone should tell Pouliot about these great inventions.

This new age weight lifting technique called the squat.
These new age balance devices: Stability Balls, Bosu Balls, Balance Boards.
Catching medicine balls without losing your balance.Falling all over the ice when nobody touches you looks stupid,this is good to remember when on TV playing and they have replays to show everyone there!Grow a pair buddy!

Old
06-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
hes not a flop, the expectations are just too high, since he was drafted 4th overall, he's a run of the mill nhl player the kind of guy every team has 3 or 4 of. he's got great tools but doesnt have a clue how to put it all together, like a lesser version of Kostitsyn

Every team has players like that big strong good tools, but they just dont have the drive to put it all together

Old
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
Wow, you guys are being hard on Benny. I did not check but I bet some of you are praising the AK singing at the same time. Benny put up 30 points playing 3rd line minutes and not being allowed on the ice in the later stages of games. He also put up 4 game winners. I was hoping he would get 40 points this year but he did not get enough PP time. Balance will improve, as will his overall hockey sense. We should extend the same patience and courtesy that has been shown AK in all fairness. I agree he may require a mentor but it needs to be someone a vet from the top two lines, not a bottom six guy.
P.S Pouliot has never been a prolific scorer.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Ross MacLochness

He's terrible.

And you can just tell Jacques despises his style of play even more than his biggest haters on this board so I'll be absolutely stunned if he's brought back.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
RNiner

While they are very different players, the hate-on for Pouliot right now very much reminds me of the hate-on for Andrei last off-season. And that worked out ok.

To me, Pouliot's biggest problem is himself. He worries about everything, doesn't have the confidence, etc. Those kind of problems go away with experience and age. I don't think the cost here is very high, so it is probably worth the gamble to keep him around. Its not like he had an awful overall season, and plenty of young players have had rough half-seasons before going on to a good career. I see no reason to give up on him, unless his salary demands are unrealistic.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
habitue*

The message was clear during the playoffs. Pouliot is no longer part of this team.

He's gonna be traded for some pick (no better than a 2nd or 3rd).

What about Steve Bernier ? Florida just let him become UFA this week. He would not look bad on a 3rd line and he is a naturalo right shooter.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
While they are very different players, the hate-on for Pouliot right now very much reminds me of the hate-on for Andrei last off-season. And that worked out ok.

To me, Pouliot's biggest problem is himself. He worries about everything, doesn't have the confidence, etc. Those kind of problems go away with experience and age. I don't think the cost here is very high, so it is probably worth the gamble to keep him around. Its not like he had an awful overall season, and plenty of young players have had rough half-seasons before going on to a good career. I see no reason to give up on him, unless his salary demands are unrealistic.
At the end of the day this isn't preschool, NHL teams want wins and production, noyt have to babysit guys that lose their confidence every two weeks. Pouliot in order to be effective has to skate, drive the net and use his frame more. He won't make it as a checker or banger, so he has to play much like Pacioretty did last year...move his feet and a simpler game.

Closed Thread