HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 04:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Quote:
Glen Sather left Wednesday's general managers meeting without addressing the media, but the Daily News has learned the Rangers boss plans to buy out the final season of captain Chris Drury's five-year, $35.25 million contract.

"He's gone," the source said of Drury, who had one goal and four assists this season as he sat out 58 games with finger and knee injuries - more time than he had missed in his 11 previous NHL campaigns combined.
Quote:
Buying out Drury would save the Rangers $3.3 million against next year's salary cap, with a $1.6 million charge to the Blueshirts' ledger in 2012-13. The Blueshirts also appear likely to buy out the remaining year on midseason pickup Wojtek Wolski's deal, saving another $3.3 million next season while incurring a $666,667 charge in 2012-13.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...y%2FRangers%29

Old
06-09-2011, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Trade Drury to Columbus for Commodore and have Columbus buyout Drury. He waives NMC with Columbus agreeing to buy Drury out. Drury gets the same $3,333,333 in the buyout paid out over 2 years. Rangers open $3.3M in summer cap and another $3.75M when Commodore is assigned to the AHL or loaned to Europe. Commodore has another season on his contract. The new CBA will have a compliance buyout period with a lower cap in the CBA. Drury is a cheaper buyout for Columbus than Commodore. More than $1.2M cheaper in real dollars. Ran the idea past a Columbus beat writer and he thought Columbus would make it.

Edmonton swapped Pat O'Sullivan to Phoenix for Jim Vandermeer and Phoenix bought out O'Sullivan for a 1/3. Edmonton got a stop gap vet D they needed and Maloney saved real dollars in the transaction. Edmonton was planning to buyout O'Sullivan but they swapped him for a useful player.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 06-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 05:05 AM
boredmale

Don't the Rangers actually gain capspace this year if they buy Drury out?

Old
06-09-2011, 05:09 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
"I am not going to let this ruin my Thursday" - but this is sweet music to my ears. Getting rid of Drury for next season - one way or the other - has been writing on the wall for some time and was inevitable to happen. We shall see if it is via the cap brutal buyout or a "smart trade" that RB nicely illustrated.
Buying out Wolski oth is imo bad asset management. He must be able to be packaged at the draft bringing back some kind of assets...no?

Old
06-09-2011, 05:11 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Don't the Rangers actually gain capspace this year if they buy Drury out?
Yes, and we would gain about the same amount of cap space if we trade Drury for Commodore. Either way we'd save about 3.3 mil.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:16 AM
Speedtrials

He did have a solid first season for us, scoring some big goals. After that though, it got tough to watch as his body seemed to break down on him. Wish things would have worked out better, as he was someone I really wanted to root for.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:19 AM
The Mouth

count ya millions and go make pizza.

Good riddance

Old
06-09-2011, 05:34 AM
NYRSchrute217

The Rangers were great to Drury for years and he doesn't have the decency to do us a favor and just retire? I understand the man wants to support his family but what's another 5 million to someone who's already made 50?

Good riddance you bum

Old
06-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

If we buy Drury out, is he still on the team? What other stipulations come with us buying him out, besides a cap hit reduction?

Old
06-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Some harsh words in this thread. Nobody was holding a knife to Sather's neck to sign Drury. And I don't think Drury had the intention of physically breaking down 2 years into his contract.

It's not about supporting his family, he probably just wants to play hockey. You don't make the NHL by making hockey your hobby, you make the NHL by making hockey your life.

Old
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
If we buy Drury out, is he still on the team? What other stipulations come with us buying him out, besides a cap hit reduction?
If we buy him out he's a free agent.

Old
boredmale

Quote:
He would be free to sign anywhere, he could even resign in NY if he wanted. As for other ramifications while the rangers get a slight cap reduction this season due to the way his contract was structured I believe they get charged 1.66M against the cap in 2012-13

Old
06-09-2011, 06:02 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
He would be free to sign anywhere, he could even resign in NY if he wanted.
You can't resign a player you just bought out.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:04 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Drury becomes an unrestricted free agent. He is owed $5M in salary for 11-12. The buyout is 2/3 so he will get $3,333,333 over 2 years. His NMC can't prevent a team from buying him out.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:06 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
He would be free to sign anywhere, he could even resign in NY if he wanted. As for other ramifications while the rangers get a slight cap reduction this season due to the way his contract was structured I believe they get charged 1.66M against the cap in 2012-13
Quote:
Chris Drury buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $3,716,667
2012-13: $1,666,667
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15

Old
06-09-2011, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
"I am not going to let this ruin my Thursday" - but this is sweet music to my ears. Getting rid of Drury for next season - one way or the other - has been writing on the wall for some time and was inevitable to happen. We shall see if it is via the cap brutal buyout or a "smart trade" that RB nicely illustrated.
Buying out Wolski oth is imo bad asset management. He must be able to be packaged at the draft bringing back some kind of assets...no?
Wolski is making $4M in 11-12. It was good asset management by the Rangers. Rozsival for Wolski. Rozsival has a more expensive buyout.

Quote:
Michal Rozsival buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $3,000,000
2012-13: $1,000,000
Quote:
Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $466,667
2012-13: $666,667
The Rangers took a $1M cap hit in 10-11 for Todd White. A little more in combined cap hits for Wolski,they clear $3,333,333 in cap space this season.

Maybe Sather can find a taker for Wolski's contract with the cap going up and a lousy free agent market but the 1/3 Wolski buyout isn't a bad option

Quote:
There's also a growing sentiment that there will be more players under contract traded for picks on draft day because cap is going up.
http://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice/s...23801635913729

Old
06-09-2011, 06:20 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wolski is making $4M in 11-12. It was good asset management by the Rangers. Rozsival for Wolski. Rozsival has a more expensive buyout.

Maybe Sather can find a taker for Wolski's contract with the cap going up and a lousy free agent market but the 1/3 Wolski buyout isn't a bad option
http://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice/s...23801635913729
You gotta think it is possible to get something back here. Ottawa, St Louis, Detroit?, Florida and Pittsburgh are imo all possible trade partners for a midlevel pick. Getting nothing but cap-relief for trading Rozie is not optimal cap management - but of course it is OK. Good? Not sure
Time will tell here...
I say - we take a 3rd rounder from Detroit for WW and let Håkon Andersson make the pick for us...

Old
06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.

06-09-2011, 06:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Some harsh words in this thread. Nobody was holding a knife to Sather's neck to sign Drury. And I don't think Drury had the intention of physically breaking down 2 years into his contract.

It's not about supporting his family, he probably just wants to play hockey. You don't make the NHL by making hockey your hobby, you make the NHL by making hockey your life.
Thank you.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:23 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Rangers were great to Drury for years and he doesn't have the decency to do us a favor and just retire? I understand the man wants to support his family but what's another 5 million to someone who's already made 50?

Good riddance you bum

jeez

i wonder if he played the full season if you guys would still have all this hate

Rangers were great to drury--byond paying him what did they do?

Old
06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
Waking up on the wrong side is always a bothersome procedure...

Old
06-09-2011, 06:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Waking up on the wrong side is always a bothersome procedure...
It's not the wrong said of the bed. I'm just tired of the hate put on a guy who frankly doesn't deserve it. He played terribly the last two seasons. Nobody would dare argue otherwise. But the guy is not a bum. He's certainly overpaid. But he's not a bum.

If he feels he can still play (and he's probably fooling himself) why would he retire? That's his decision. If the Rangers want to pay him to go, that's theirs. He doesn't owe Sather anything.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:36 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I don't know how you can say bad things about a guy who, realizing that his offensive skills have broken down, started to throw his body in front of speeding pucks to try to make the biggest difference he could. It's a really admirable trait, and the marking of hard working player, for someone to completely transform their game into such a sacrificial style of play because they can't perform the way they used to.

Either way, this move is probably the best for both sides. $3.3M free on the cap provides a lot of room for Richards, RFAs, and probably some other moves. Drury can't do this anymore. I know he wants to play, but a human body can only take so much. He can't even stay healthy for more than a few weeks anymore.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
You gotta think it is possible to get something back here. Ottawa, St Louis, Detroit?, Florida and Pittsburgh are imo all possible trade partners for a midlevel pick. Getting nothing but cap-relief for trading Rozie is not optimal cap management - but of course it is OK. Good? Not sure
Time will tell here...
I say - we take a 3rd rounder from Detroit for WW and let Håkon Andersson make the pick for us...
I'm sure they've been shopping Wolski around, at to some extent, but he's got a hefty contract for a guy who's now apparently getting run out of his third organization and failing to live up to his top six potential. Though I also think that if his contract was more reasonable, the Rangers would probably keep him around...but if they really want cap space then they can clear a lot by buying him out.

Thing is, if they can't get Richards then they're going to really have to do some work to find a way to improve this team...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah this. Drury never did anything to deserve the hate he gets. He's always been a hard working player and he did that with the Rangers. It's not his fault he broke down. I don't have any problems being frustrated at his massive contract and the problems it created, but the guy himself I got no problems with.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:21 AM
UAGoalieGuy

So if/when the Ranger buyout Wolski and Drury they will save around $7 million in cap space for next season?

There's Brad Richards money right there. I would prefer Rangerboy's scenario where Drury is traded to the Blue Jackets for Commedore, though. Saves more money during the season.

Closed Thread