HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 08:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
this was inevitable for capt Q. the end has come.

he lost his legs, he couldnt stay healthy and he lost all his confidence. he never had high end skills to begin with. this is how it goes when a guy who gets buy on intangibles and extra effort gets old and cant stay healthy. it can get ugly in a hurry.

i give the guy credit, he didnt quit. its kinda sad though. good luck chris.

as for w2. if we buy him out, i gotta assume its to free up space for another top 6 winger. if true, im ok with it. it makes sense to move on if torts doesnt like the guy- and im pretty sure thats what it is. not .ure i agree with torts though, then again, i pretty much never do

if we buy him out and then just shlock a marginal guy in there like an mza or ghrachev or another unproven rook playing over his head outa position, i wont be happy. i swear to god, if we try another 3rd line effort guy in his place, i will freak out. say what you want about wolski and effort and consistency, but he is talented. we need to replace his talent with talent that produces, not some other bottom 6 type who we think can play there and then give us nothing.

we move w2 and we better give that salary to someone who can step in a give us 60 points playing top 6 minutes.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Levitate

^^^^ Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Wolski is at least legit talented and if they're going to ditch him, they at least need to find a way to get another legit talent in there. Though I guess if it's to help get Richards, then at least the net benefit is greater than keeping Wolski, but another legit skilled guy would still be huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So if/when the Ranger buyout Wolski and Drury they will save around $7 million in cap space for next season?

There's Brad Richards money right there. I would prefer Rangerboy's scenario where Drury is traded to the Blue Jackets for Commedore, though. Saves more money during the season.
In theory it's nice but I think it ends up being too complicated in the end.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Vitto79

with buyouts a week a way I was looking for something like to surface

Drury is a good dude. Sather is a fool for signing him for so long but this has to be done. He's a 4th liner and 3rd at best .Pker with nothing much more to give but some heart. So with that let him go somewhere for afew yrs to finish out his career.

I agree with Rangerboy the Commodore trade seems to make alot of sense and why would Drury block it if he is bought out anyways?

As for Wolski I see the benefit of the buyout but I don't see any better options so I hope he stays. he would be a last second buy out in the month as they have to be able to trade the guy if they really want to move the salary. Again I hope Wolski stays

Old
06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
pwoz

Good riddance to captain intangibles.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:37 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Rangers were great to Drury for years and he doesn't have the decency to do us a favor and just retire? I understand the man wants to support his family but what's another 5 million to someone who's already made 50?

Good riddance you bum

You would walk away from 5 mill?

Sather offered that contract to Drury. Drury just signed on the dotted line, cant blame him.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:39 AM
pld459666

Boyle is now going to move up to top line LW for Richards and Gaborik.

yyeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh boooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I won't lose any sleep over this. Dru's first two seasons were alright, but it was all downhill after that.

W2 is meh. Stay or go, it doesn't matter too much.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:45 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

yyeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhh boooooooyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL........but honestly Wolski atleast gives talent on the LW. Couple that with Dubinsky, Boyle could be slid over, Avery and maybe one of Hagelin/Grachev that is a descent crew.

buying out Wolski is just asking Sather to over spend for 3-4 yrs on Jokinen, Laich, Leino. Do we really want that wjhen Wolski can play one more year then be not offered a contract and he is off the books anyway?

Plus the guy didnt have a full yr to see what he can do. I would hate losing a guy with skill so Drury buyout of course , Wolski bahhh

Old
06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Am I the only one who is not sold on Boyle's ability to play on the wing?

Old
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this was inevitable for capt Q. the end has come.

he lost his legs, he couldnt stay healthy and he lost all his confidence. he never had high end skills to begin with. this is how it goes when a guy who gets buy on intangibles and extra effort gets old and cant stay healthy. it can get ugly in a hurry.

i give the guy credit, he didnt quit. its kinda sad though. good luck chris.

as for w2. if we buy him out, i gotta assume its to free up space for another top 6 winger. if true, im ok with it. it makes sense to move on if torts doesnt like the guy- and im pretty sure thats what it is. not .ure i agree with torts though, then again, i pretty much never do

if we buy him out and then just shlock a marginal guy in there like an mza or ghrachev or another unproven rook playing over his head outa position, i wont be happy. i swear to god, if we try another 3rd line effort guy in his place, i will freak out. say what you want about wolski and effort and consistency, but he is talented. we need to replace his talent with talent that produces, not some other bottom 6 type who we think can play there and then give us nothing.

we move w2 and we better give that salary to someone who can step in a give us 60 points playing top 6 minutes.
Gagne?

Old
06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
No, you are not the only one.

The comment was totally toungue in cheek.

I'm not sold on Boyle's abiluty to hit 10 goals again this year let alone play LW on any line.

Not sold on the guy at all.

One year doesn't do it for me.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Poor Dru.... His passion for the game is most admirable. I hope if we buy him out, that he gets a good contract with a new team that wont boo him all the time. Guy can be a killer 3rd line center some where. If he was only making 2 mill, things would have been much different.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Gagne?
If he's healthy he's great but he is just never healthy. Plus 2 guys with concussion history in Gagne and Richards? blah

Old
06-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
No, me too. I'd prefer he stays at center and just works on being a better faceoff guy. He had a lot of success in that position this year, let's leave things as they were. He may not his 20 again but I think he can hit 10-20...

Idly thinking that Dubinsky on Richards' left wouldn't be so bad...he's got the skill to play with those guys and provides some physical presence there. Could be interesting.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
NikC

this is a shame, but it has to be done. i was ecstatic when Sather signed Drury, and let's face it he was "only" $2m overpaid. Drury @ $5m is much more palatable.

people forget what kind of player he was prior to Sather signing him. Granted those were his best years in the NHL, but that is good incentive for pursuing an UFA no?

That Drury was the type of player we needed badly, and still do.

Sorry Chris. too bad it didn't work out.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Plus the guy didnt have a full yr to see what he can do. I would hate losing a guy with skill so Drury buyout of course , Wolski bahhh
Part of me would like to see what Wolski could do with Richards (assuming we sign him) and Gaborik. But a part of me wants someone more physical for that line. Dubi could move up and Wolski play with Artie and Cally, I suppose.

But then there's also the question of defense. Are we going to bring in an offensive dman? If so, we'll need Wolski's money. Maybe we sign Pitkanen and re-sign Prospal for cheap. Either way, buying out Wolski gives us more flexibility.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Gagne?
No thanks.

Has missed 103 games over the last 3 years.

19 last season
24 the year before

Prone to concussions, declining production.

I'd rather see if I could sign Brooks Laich.

Can play on any one of the top 3 lines (better suited for 2nd and 3rd line roles)

Durable, knows how to play with talented players, a good sized frame that loves to go to the net. Very good PK'er. Gonna be 28 in two weeks.

Has missed just 13 games over the last 5 years.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Levitate

Urghhh, Pitkanen makes me nervous.

Very skilled guy but a flake on and off the ice. I have a feeling he and Tortorella wouldn't get along

e: I worry about how much Laich is going to ask for. He's a pretty good player but seems like a guy who could easily get hugely overpaid in FA and the Rangers don't have a ton of space if they want to sign Richards.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
I'd rather see if I could sign Brooks Laich.
This would be perfect, since I've already decided my fantasy team next year will be "Dude Brooks Laich A Lady".

Old
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
94now

I am happy for Jagr who sees Slats admitting his mistakes and letting those who made JJ to walk out go away. I can only , though.
I am sure Drury will play in NHL for awhile. He is still NHL level player, although not elite, never was anyway. So he will make even more money next season, which is fine with me.
As for Wolski, the buyout is actually another mistake to admit for Slats. This time it was signing Roszival deal that also left no $$ for Jagr to stay.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Urghhh, Pitkanen makes me nervous.

Very skilled guy but a flake on and off the ice. I have a feeling he and Tortorella wouldn't get along

e: I worry about how much Laich is going to ask for. He's a pretty good player but seems like a guy who could easily get hugely overpaid in FA and the Rangers don't have a ton of space if they want to sign Richards.
I'm a big Pitkanen fan. He's a highly skilled defenseman.

But, he's got million dollar talent, and a ten cent brain, a lot like Wolski.

He'll make boneheaded defensive plays that leave you scratching you head in anazement of how awful and ill-advised they were.

Then, he'll dazzle you by walking through 3 penalty killers on the powerplay and threading a cross-ice pass through the crease to set up a goal like Paul Coffey.

Night and day with this guy. So much skill, so little thought process.

If he comes for about $5M, I'd sign him. But, otherwise, I would have to pass.

06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Levitate

I don't think the Rangers have the cap space to sign Pitkanen for $5 mill and Brad Richards for $7 mill.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
He never lived up to that contract. He's allowed to get it. Wake up.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Guys & gal's

If this is true just be respectful of the man.

I will admit I was hard on Redden but that was different. That dude just quit, plus he's a canadian boy.

-Chris Drury always put in effort on the ice.

-He's a winning US Olympian.

-He's our Captain, the model in which our young players have learned, even if his numbers slipped. Not every NY Captain has been or will be Mark Messier.

-He's always been a Rangers fan, so this will be hard for him no doubt.

-We have Chris Drury 2.0 right now, at the right time in his career. Ryan Callahan. If you disrespect Drury now, in his mid-30's, will you do the same to Callahan in 10 years?

All I'm saying is don't kick the guy in the arse as he walks out the door. His career as a whole, as an American player, deserves more then that.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think the Rangers have the cap space to sign Pitkanen for $5 mill and Brad Richards for $7 mill.
Me either. I would sign him, provided we can't get Richards, but only then.

The Rangers still need a capable puck mover, even with Richards, though.

Closed Thread