HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
ocarina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He never lived up to that contract. He's allowed to get it. Wake up.
So he should be criticized for accepting a contract that he really had no chance to live up to? Even before we signed him, he was considered a very good 2nd line center, not even 1st line quality.

Sather is completely to blame here. Drury might of broken down, but he never quit, never complained and never made himself a nuisance, even when he got relegated to the fourth line.

In hindsight, this contract was Bobby Holik all over again. Overpay a guy dearly and put him in a situation above his ability.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:26 AM
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
+ 1000

The offensive expectations on Dru were unreasonable. There's not one among you who wouldn't have signed that contract - I certainly would have - because it was too much money for a solid two-way player with more of a defensive edge. In reviewing his career stats http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1444, there is nothing that screams offensive dynamo.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:26 AM
beastly115

If we don't land Richards, we're so, so screwed.

There's literally no one on the market that could improve this team after buying out Drury and Wolski...

Laich is more of the same.

Gagne has had to many injuries. Might as well keep Prospal.

I'd rather stay the course and miss the playoffs if we don't land Richards.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Levitate

eh, just for someone like Pitkanen, I'd either get him on the cheap or just let Del Zotto develop. $5 mill is a lot for that flake.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I kind of want to see if it'd be worth getting Corvo in a trade instead of signing Pitkanen. He's on and off, but his contract is dirt cheap and he's a righty. Joni's a lefty.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Mr Sakich

instead of buying out Wolski, could this work?

Wolski + 15th overall to Edmonton for the 19th overall?

Would the Oilers need to add a 3rd or 4th?

Old
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He never lived up to that contract. He's allowed to get it. Wake up.
Of course he didn't. Sather paid him like you would pay a top offensive player. Drury's never been that. So who's fault is it? The guy who offered the contract and wrote the checks or the guy who was overpaid?

06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
Here, here.
Couldn't agree more.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this was inevitable for capt Q. the end has come.

he lost his legs, he couldnt stay healthy and he lost all his confidence. he never had high end skills to begin with. this is how it goes when a guy who gets buy on intangibles and extra effort gets old and cant stay healthy. it can get ugly in a hurry.
If you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story.

Yeah, yeah. He lost his legs and lost his confidence...don't forget inexplicably losing his playing time and opportunities without ever having a chance to regain it.

Chris Drury didn't "get by" on intangibles or extra effort. He "got by" on being one of the more fundamentally sound players in the league. This is how it goes when new coaches come in and strip players of ice time and responsibility and spend the next two seasons doing everything they possibly can to ensure that a player doesn't get any opportunities to do what he does best. This is how it goes when a franchise has absolutely zero ability to evaluate talent, plan ahead, or put together a sensible roster. Chris Drury was all wrong for this team from the get-go, and the Rangers never did a thing to put him in a position to succeed. He was doomed to be a "disappointment" before he ever put pen to paper. It's brilliant managerial skills that, signing a free agent and then doing everything you can to make sure you place him in situations that are the polar opposites of the situations he was in on his previous club, where he enjoyed his greatest successes.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Levitate

Wait why are the Rangers moving down in the draft and giving up a player?

The cap hit from buying him out is so small that there's no reason to lose draft positioning instead

Old
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
NYRCC

good ****ing riddance, you suckbag!

you can point fingers all you want but chris is the only person responsible for his play on the ice.

i hope he enjoys making pizza.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So if/when the Ranger buyout Wolski and Drury they will save around $7 million in cap space for next season?

There's Brad Richards money right there. I would prefer Rangerboy's scenario where Drury is traded to the Blue Jackets for Commedore, though. Saves more money during the season.
Drury won't waive his NMC.

He will accept the buyout and than be free to sign anywhere. Right?

06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Of course he didn't. Sather paid him like you would pay a top offensive player. Drury's never been that. So who's fault is it? The guy who offered the contract and wrote the checks or the guy who was overpaid?
Hey, look at the bright side...it wasn't as bad as Sather paying Bobby Holik $9 million per year to not score goals! Of course without the cap it didn't have the same effect...but it was still Sather genius at work.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's paid 7 million dollars. Sorry, he's a great guy, but I'm not going to NOT want to have him bought out just so he can maybe be put infront of the net on the PP and score a few more goals and not have the money to sign Brad.

Good guy, but Sather overpaid for him and i'm glad he's going to be bought out.

Old
nevesis

Quote:
Sather paid him like you would pay a top offensive player. Drury's never been that.
I blame Sather completely...

BUT, it doesn't change the fact that the two seasons before we signed Drury (not to mention the one where he killed us personally) his stats are as follows...

'05-'06
81gp 30g 37a 67pts

'06-'07
77gp 37g 32a 69pts

While he did overpay, Sather was under the assumption his numbers would CONTINUE to rise, potentially break the 40 goals a year mark. He steadily dropped significantly once he joined our team.

Just a terrible signing and never fit the part of captain very well at all here in New York. Hopefully we can turn the page on this chapter very soon!

Old
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Happy in terms of the way it helps the organization but sad to see Drury have deteriorated to this point. Sure he was never a $7 million player, and probably never would have been, but he was still a great hockey player.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

2 way street. Drury is a big boy, he knew the pressure that came with signing that contract. Especially in NY.

Cant fault the guy for getting injured, but he's going to catch **** eating up that much cap and producing so little.

He's also a poor choice for captain in the NY market imo. He is emotionless... to the media anyways.

I'm sure he's a great dude, he was indeed awesome in Buffalo , Colorado, When this goes down I wish him well. He'd be a better fit as a role player on another team

Old
06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Superdowney

I wonder, does Drury get another shot at the NHL? Or is he done?

Old
06-09-2011, 09:56 AM
OverTheCap

Wow, I think some people on here were more sympathetic towards Redden being sent down to Hartford than they they are with the prospect of Drury being bought out. And, unlike Redden, Drury actually worked hard and put forth an honest effort every shift.

Did Drury do something to personally offend so many Rangers fans? One would think he masterminded a Ponzi scheme or stole everyone's girlfriends by some of the angry, irrational name-calling I've seen here. Meanwhile, Sather gets a free pass on this matter once again by the same old suspects.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Wow, I think some people on here were more sympathetic towards Redden being sent down to Hartford than they they are with the prospect of Drury being bought out. And, unlike Redden, Drury actually worked hard and put forth an honest effort every shift.

Did Drury do something to personally offend so many Rangers fans? One would think he masterminded a Ponzi scheme or stole everyone's girlfriends by some of the angry, irrational name-calling I've seen here. Meanwhile, Sather gets a free pass on this matter once again by the same old suspects.
Who's giving Sather a free pass? Nobody. Everyone acknowledges that Sather ****ed up big time.

But you're crazy if you think people are going to defend the guy who scored 32 points last year for 7 million dollars.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
2 way street. Drury is a big boy, he knew the pressure that came with signing that contract. Especially in NY.
Is he really going to turn his nose up @ $35M+ because of "pressure"? No, and no sane human being would. I do not blame him for signing that contract; I blame the idiot upstairs for thinking it was smart to do so, when it was completely ill-advised, and trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Quote:
Cant fault the guy for getting injured, but he's going to catch **** eating up that much cap and producing so little.
Of course he is. Not his fault, though, that people are expecting him to perform above his own abilities.

Quote:
He's also a poor choice for captain in the NY market imo. He is emotionless...
Then I suppose Callahan would be a poor choice for captain as well?

And how would you know if he was "emotionless" or not? Are you in the locker room?

A loooootttt of assumptions going on in this thread.

06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdowney View Post
I wonder, does Drury get another shot at the NHL? Or is he done?
I think he'll be back for a major discount. 1 million? Like a prospal deal. Maybe Anaheim? <--Doesn't he have a home out there? Maybe LA? Maybe even with the Sabres?

Old
06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
I blame Sather completely...

BUT, it doesn't change the fact that the two seasons before we signed Drury (not to mention the one where he killed us personally) his stats are as follows...

'05-'06
81gp 30g 37a 67pts

'06-'07
77gp 37g 32a 69pts

While he did overpay, Sather was under the assumption his numbers would CONTINUE to rise, potentially break the 40 goals a year mark. He steadily dropped significantly once he joined our team.
Yes, because in Glen Sather's world when you're 31 years old you're just hitting your stride, and need to be paid for the next six years for all those points you scored in your late 20's.

And the best news is that this frees up cap space to sign Brad Richards who is...wait for it...31 years old!

You just can't make this stuff up.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
NYRangers16

I honestly can't blame Drury, he worked hard, did everything right, never complained that his coach wasn't using him correctly, and always took responsibility for his lack of effectiveness. What more do you want? Want him to wave a magic wand and suddenly score 30 goals when he's being played 10 minutes a game with 3rd line checking guys? I mean seriously folks, give him a break. He's always taken all the blame, without complaining once. Give Crosby 10 minutes of ice time a night and have him play with 3rd liners, and I bet you he doesn't score 60 pts. So why would you expect Drury to?

Old
06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
jeez

i wonder if he played the full season if you guys would still have all this hate

Rangers were great to drury--byond paying him what did they do?
Made him captain?

Closed Thread