HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Is he really going to turn his nose up @ $35M+ because of "pressure"? No, and no sane human being would. I do not blame him for signing that contract; I blame the idiot upstairs for thinking it was smart to do so, when it was completely ill-advised, and trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Of course he is. Not his fault, though, that people are expecting him to perform above his own abilities.

Then I suppose Callahan would be a poor choice for captain as well?

And how would you know if he was "emotionless" or not? Are you in the locker room?

A loooootttt of assumptions going on in this thread.
He is emotionless to the media >> the fans. Confirmed

And he knew what would be expected of him when he signed here for 7 mill per. Clearly he thought he could deliver. Yes you sign the deal and go into it with a positive attitude , but he didnt deliver. Didnt even come close. He wouldnt even make the team is it was based on performance alone...

OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Who's giving Sather a free pass? Nobody. Everyone acknowledges that Sather ****ed up big time.

But you're crazy if you think people are going to defend the guy who scored 32 points last year for 7 million dollars.
Am I crazy for thinking people won't engage in immature name-calling? "Good riddance you piece of ****?" I don't expect people to defend him, but a little respect would be nice.

Old
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Drury played his heart out here and people should respect him for that. However, he just doesn't have it anymore. He had two decent seasons here. However, at the end of the day, if Drury made 3-4M which is what he was really worth at the time, no one would have been so against him. The contract was a mistake.

Either way, this is one of the best moves the Rangers could make. There's no space on this team for him and he's well beyond washed up at this point.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I blame Sather completely...

BUT, it doesn't change the fact that the two seasons before we signed Drury (not to mention the one where he killed us personally) his stats are as follows...

'05-'06
81gp 30g 37a 67pts

'06-'07
77gp 37g 32a 69pts

While he did overpay, Sather was under the assumption his numbers would CONTINUE to rise, potentially break the 40 goals a year mark. He steadily dropped significantly once he joined our team.

Just a terrible signing and never fit the part of captain very well at all here in New York. Hopefully we can turn the page on this chapter very soon!
He might have hoped but his average career stats said otherwise.

06-09-2011, 09:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
2 way street. Drury is a big boy, he knew the pressure that came with signing that contract. Especially in NY.

Cant fault the guy for getting injured, but he's going to catch **** eating up that much cap and producing so little.
Nah, that's BS. It wasn't the pressure of NYC. He had an average Drury seasons his first two years here (first tied for the team lead in goals with Jagr) You act as if Drury chose to play poorly. The fault lies with Sather. Paying someone elite offensive player money won't make that player one.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Drury doesn't have a role on the team with or without the addition of Richards. His knee is a concern going forward. The leadership of the team has changed. Until Larry Brooks or Arthur Staple confirm this report,still dubious about it. Sather has have never bought out a player and taken a significant cap hit. Sather will explore a trade with the other team buying out Drury. Why wouldn't Drury waive his NMC with the agreement Columbus buys him? He knows his days as a Ranger are coming to a close. Drury will probably save money on taxes getting paid by a team in Ohio than NYC. The Wolski potential buyout was reported by Staple in April. Its cheap. 1/3. Wolski will spend next season in the dog house.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Drury doesn't have a role on the team with or without the addition of Richards. His knee is a concern going forward. The leadership of the team has changed. Until Larry Brooks or Arthur Staple confirm this report,still dubious about it. Sather has have never bought out a player and taken a cap hit. Sather will explore a trade with the other team buying out Drury. Why wouldn't Drury waive his NMC with the agreement Columbus buys him? He knows his days as a Ranger are coming to a close. Drury will probably save money on taxes getting paid by a team in Ohio than NYC. The Wolski potential buyout was reported by Staple in April. Its cheap. 1/3. Wolski will spend next season in the dog house.
Because maybe he doesn't want to play in Columbus. If he's bought out, he has at least some say in where he goes.

Old
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
If you're going to tell the story, tell the whole story.

Yeah, yeah. He lost his legs and lost his confidence...don't forget inexplicably losing his playing time and opportunities without ever having a chance to regain it.

Chris Drury didn't "get by" on intangibles or extra effort. He "got by" on being one of the more fundamentally sound players in the league. This is how it goes when new coaches come in and strip players of ice time and responsibility and spend the next two seasons doing everything they possibly can to ensure that a player doesn't get any opportunities to do what he does best. This is how it goes when a franchise has absolutely zero ability to evaluate talent, plan ahead, or put together a sensible roster. Chris Drury was all wrong for this team from the get-go, and the Rangers never did a thing to put him in a position to succeed. He was doomed to be a "disappointment" before he ever put pen to paper. It's brilliant managerial skills that, signing a free agent and then doing everything you can to make sure you place him in situations that are the polar opposites of the situations he was in on his previous club, where he enjoyed his greatest successes.
See I agree with you to an extent (especially when it came to using him on the point on the PP instead of in front of the net), but I think the Drury of the first 2 years was the best we were going to get out of him. His points were inflated to the mid-high 60's playing on those high powered buffalo teams, with our inferior offense/PP, his 58 and 56 point seasons were well...Chris Drury seasons. He had 22 PPG's in his first 2 seasons, pretty darn good considering our PP wasn't very good.

At the beginning of the next season he was 33. That's the time guys decline, especially a guy like him who played the way he played for so long. And decline he did. There were injuries that played into it sure, but no amount of extra ice time was going to bring him back to the player he was.

You have to remember, the coaches see him in practice and things like that every day, which we don't. So saying that Drury should have been given a bigger offensive role is easy to say if you aren't seeing him practice every day and realizing he doesn't have what he used to.

I refuse to put this on the coaching staff in this case. It was not their responsibility to keep compounding the sunk cost of Drury by putting him in a role he couldn't live up to any longer. You shouldn't keep trying to push forward with something just because you already invested so much in it. If it's not working, it's not working, and what you've invested is gone either way.

Sather? I have no problem blaming him here, not realizing that Drury is not a guy who's going to come in and create offense for a line on his own, and that even at the height of his Buffalo powers 7 mill was way too much to pay.

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdowney View Post
I wonder, does Drury get another shot at the NHL? Or is he done?
he will be a good 3rd/4th line / Pker somewhere for arond a million. I think he has a few more years left on a contender. Would think he wants to stay in the area so don't be shocked to see the Debbies grab him

Old
06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If anyone thinks they wouldn't sign a 7 million contract to play in the historic Madison Square Garden even if you were a 2nd-3rd line tweener, you're crazy.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Because maybe he doesn't want to play in Columbus. If he's bought out, he has at least some say in where he goes.
The idea would be that after the Rangers trade him to Columbus, Howson buys him out. The incentive for them is to ditch the Commodore contract, which Sather would most likely bury in the AHL.

06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Read it again. Columbus would buy him out. Drury's buyout is cheaper than Commodore's, who is rumored to be bought out as well.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:26 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Nah, that's BS. It wasn't the pressure of NYC. He had an average Drury seasons his first two years here (first tied for the team lead in goals with Jagr) You act as if Drury chose to play poorly. The fault lies with Sather. Paying someone elite offensive player money won't make that player one.
Exactly, his first 2 years were normal Drury years, then come injuries, lack of ice time, and unskilled linemates.

The expectations were just unfair. In Col and Buf he was playing on the top line...with guys like Hedjuk, Briere, Vanek, etc Hell wasn't he on the LW with Sakic for a few years? In those circumstances, playing top line minutes, and on the powerplay, his career stats averaged about 25+ goals and 30 assists with obviously a few years that were above that.

Ok, now compare to NY first 2 years...playing 1st line minutes, playing with Jagr, playing on the powerplay...same numbers as before. Was the same player, doing the same thing.

Now take the last few years...playing with checking line guys, playing 3rd line ice time, no powerplay time, and now his production drops. Go figure.

So what changed between this point and the whole rest of his career? Ice tine, linemates, and powerplay time(and unfortunate injuries)

Seriously folks, you blame him? What you want him to jump on the ice with the first line on his own? Maybe we should be blaming the coach the last few years who wasnt here when he signed, and never gave him a chance?

Old
06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Exactly, his first 2 years were normal Drury years, then come injuries, lack of ice time, and unskilled linemates.

The expectations were just unfair. In Col and Buf he was playing on the top line...with guys like Hedjuk, Briere, Vanek, etc Hell wasn't he on the LW with Sakic for a few years? In those circumstances, playing top line minutes, and on the powerplay, his career stats averaged about 25+ goals and 30 assists with obviously a few years that were above that.

Ok, now compare to NY first 2 years...playing 1st line minutes, playing with Jagr, playing on the powerplay...same numbers as before. Was the same player, doing the same thing.

Now take the last few years...playing with checking line guys, playing 3rd line ice time, no powerplay time, and now his production drops. Go figure.

So what changed between this point and the whole rest of his career? Ice tine, linemates, and powerplay time(and unfortunate injuries)

Seriously folks, you blame him? What you want him to jump on the ice with the first line on his own? Maybe we should be blaming the coach the last few years who wasnt here when he signed, and never gave him a chance?

In buffalo he was actually playing 2nd-3rd line at even strength while playing on the 1st PP unit. That team was so good offensively and he could put up 30+ goals while playing against less than 1st line competition.

You'll actually notice if you look his ice time going up from 17-18 minutes most of his career to around 20 minutes his first couple of years in NY

Old
06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
bubba5

Quote:
KHL or bust!

Old
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Read it again. Columbus would buy him out. Drury's buyout is cheaper than Commodore's, who is rumored to be bought out as well.
Sorry. Missed that.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
This. Say what you want about his stats, but the guy gave his all for us 100% of the time and had balls of steel. It's not his fault Sather offered him that deal. I always liked Dru but it's time to move on. Thanks for the effort over the years, and I'm sure some of your qualities rubbed off on our kids.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Buying out Wolski is stupid. I think he'd do well on the first line with Gaborik and Richards (if he comes here).

Old
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Right, but he knew he was going to be expected to perform at a higher level. That is pressure.

If didnt sign a 7 mill contract in NYC and think to himself eh whatever Ill just put up 40-50 pts and all will be cool.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
In buffalo he was actually playing 2nd-3rd line at even strength while playing on the 1st PP unit. That team was so good offensively and he could put up 30+ goals while playing against less than 1st line competition.

You'll actually notice if you look his ice time going up from 17-18 minutes most of his career to around 20 minutes his first couple of years in NY
Yea that team was ridiculous. My point though is he got a chance, and 2 minutes a game with basically the same career average stats is pretty much the same thing. I would argue that Drury the first two years here was the same Drury as before, notwithstanding the ridiculous expectations.

You can't pass judgement on the last few years because Torts(as much as I like him as a coach) never bought in to playing Drury. It's obvious he didn't want to play him top line minutes.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If anyone thinks they wouldn't sign a 7 million contract to play in the historic Madison Square Garden even if you were a 2nd-3rd line tweener, you're crazy.

Hey I get it, but than you have to expect the fans to want you to deliver. And we all know what happens in NY if you fail to deliver on fat contract.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Mixed feelings about this. Sending a really ****** message for the future (WW, Redden, Drury) UFA's that sign here.

Also, many of you are bitter about Drury - but, let's be fair here, the guy always hustled, blocked shots, and gave everything he had. Might not be enough to justify his contract but I really feel that was Sather's fault and not Chris'. I don't get the hate. Never did.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
**** yes! I just read it in the paper right now.

allstar3970

Quote:
It's not the wrong said of the bed. I'm just tired of the hate put on a guy who frankly doesn't deserve it. He played terribly the last two seasons. Nobody would dare argue otherwise. But the guy is not a bum. He's certainly overpaid. But he's not a bum.

If he feels he can still play (and he's probably fooling himself) why would he retire? That's his decision. If the Rangers want to pay him to go, that's theirs. He doesn't owe Sather anything.
agreed. And he can still provide value as a bottom 6 guy and PK'er to a team on a cheap short term deal.

Old
alkurtz

What this does is point out the dangers of signing a 30+ player to a long term contract.

I am absolutely in favor of signing Richards, but the lesson and risk is clear. Everyone ages differently and you never know when the inevitable decline will begin. It is very possible that after a couple of very good years, BR's skills will deteriorate due to age and injuries. Will many of you be here in a few years bemoaning the terms of BR's contract?

Signing a 30+ player is high risk and high reward. When it doesn't work out, we have to live with it. No one has ever accused Drury of a lack of effort, dedication, and a strong will to compete and win. This is not his fault: it is the fault of factors beyond his control.

I am in favor of buying him out. I am in favor of signing BR. But I understand the inherent risk facts and so should all of us.

Drury was the consummate professional. We can only hope for such class from BR.

Closed Thread