HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Glad to see this contract finally come off our books. Great guy, great teammate...just wasn't a good match for the NYR organization. On the right team, surrounded by the right players & at the right price...he can be an effective role player. Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up with either the Kings, Devils or Islanders.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Right, but he knew he was going to be expected to perform at a higher level. That is pressure.

If didnt sign a 7 mill contract in NYC and think to himself eh whatever Ill just put up 40-50 pts and all will be cool.
Come on. You really think the guy has these inner monologues? He's an athlete. These guys live to compete. The guy played hard. The offense didn't come. Why? Because he's not a great offensive player.

Be glad he's gone. But to crap on him on the way out the door is just unnecessary.

06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Best news I've heard sine Redden was sent down. I'm certainly no Drury fan.

I blame Sather for the signing and wish Drury the best of luck wherever he goes (except of course when he plays the NYR)

Thanks for the leadership and the few good years.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:55 AM
LamoTheKid

Happy to have the contract off the books, not happy to see him go.

I'm not going to white knight him and say its all Sathers fault, and I'm not going to call him a bum. I place the blame about 75/25 Sather/Drury.

I'll never forget the goal against Washington that he scored with a broken wrist. Dude is/was a warrior but he's played really terribly the past 2 years.

I wish him the best of luck but if we meet him in the playoffs wherever he lands, we'd better not see this Captain Clutch re-emerge.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Not Drury, Not Commodore, OLESZ!!!!

Florida has talked about buying out Olesz for a couple of years. The contract is terrible and they need to get to the cap floor. Buying out Drury is cheaper and getting Olesz' contract off the books saves them over 11m over the term of his contract. Drury's buyout cap hit brings them up to the cap floor and lets them float their actual salary below the cap by 2 million next season. Olesz buyout cap hit would only cost the Rangers a few hundred cap next year and for the 2 years after would carry a negative cap hit. That's worth sending Drury and prospects to Florida for!!! Talon and Slats are good ole boys, get it done!

Quote:
On players (such as Olesz, Frolik) not utilizing that "extra gear": You're exactly right. And they'd better find another gear or they won't play for the Panthers, simple as that. .... I'm not going to put up with mediocrity.
http://www.litterboxcats.com/2010/6/...ryone-here-had
Frolik was shipped out at the deadline. Olesz was injured though in in over half a season he only amassed 17pts which is his typical production. It's going to be quite hard to trade someone putting up points like Erik Christensen and being paid 3.4 million next season and going up over to 4.25 million in 2 years.

If Olesz is bought out this year it's 1/3 and 3.8m
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15

If Olesz is bought out next year it's 2/3 5.5m and much higher cap hits.
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15

If Florida is going to get rid of him, It pays for them to do it this year before he turns 26 and hits that 2/3 buyout amount.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 10:00 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Sorry. Missed that.
That's okay, you can always brush up by viewing the Commodore/Drury idea in its original form here.

Old
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Happy to have the contract off the books, not happy to see him go.

I'm not going to white knight him and say its all Sathers fault, and I'm not going to call him a bum. I place the blame about 75/25 Sather/Drury.

I'll never forget the goal against Washington that he scored with a broken wrist. Dude is/was a warrior but he's played really terribly the past 2 years.

I wish him the best of luck but if we meet him in the playoffs wherever he lands, we'd better not see this Captain Clutch re-emerge.
Knowing the Rangers luck they'll buy him out and he'll score an OT winner in the playoffs against them.

Old
GAGLine

Drury had 58 and 56 points his first 2 seasons with us. If he had maintained that production the last 2 years, I would have been happy. Hell, if he had bounced back this year into the 50+ range I would have been happy. But with the injuries and the fading production, he has to go. I harbor him no ill will, but neither will I be sad to see him leave. We all knew this was coming, it was just a matter of when and how.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If we don't land Richards, we're so, so screwed.

There's literally no one on the market that could improve this team after buying out Drury and Wolski...

Laich is more of the same.

Gagne has had to many injuries. Might as well keep Prospal.

I'd rather stay the course and miss the playoffs if we don't land Richards.
Thomas Fleischman.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

There is Commodore. Souray. Olesz. Probably a few more.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:04 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Florida has talked about buying out Olesz for a couple of years. The contract is terrible and they need to get to the cap floor. Buying out Drury is cheaper and getting Olesz' contract off the books saves them over 11m over the term of his contract. Drury's buyout cap hit brings them up to the cap floor and lets them float their actual salary below the cap by 2 million next season. Olesz buyout cap hit would only cost the Rangers a few hundred cap next year and for the 2 years after would carry a negative cap hit. That's worth sending Drury and prospects to Florida for!!! Talon and Slats are good ole boys, get it done!
Yeah, that was an idea I floated on the trade board a while back, but the truth is, Florida could do better for themselves by trading Olesz for someone like Blake or Souray. They would save more money on a buyout of either one.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Thomas Fleischman.
I think he's pretty overrated

Old
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Montreal traded Samsosov to Chicago for Cullimore and Tony Salamanson(spelled it wrong)a few years ago. Montreal bought out both players because was cheaper a Samsonov buyout. Sather traded Brashear to Atlanta last summer. Atlanta bought out Brashear and took the 35+ $1.4M cap hit.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Commodore fits because you can bury him and then bring him up for the POs for blueline depth.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Mixed feelings about this. Sending a really ****** message for the future (WW, Redden, Drury) UFA's that sign here.

Also, many of you are bitter about Drury - but, let's be fair here, the guy always hustled, blocked shots, and gave everything he had. Might not be enough to justify his contract but I really feel that was Sather's fault and not Chris'. I don't get the hate. Never did.
I've never bought the bolded argument. If a FA is looking for a big pay day, its not going to matter if past players have flopped and been bought out if they're looking for a big pay day. Also, it's not like Drury played great and was bought out. All this shows future FAs is that if you are signed to a big contract and you don't live up to it, that's what happens; it pretty much makes them accountable to live up to their contract.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I love reading the Ranger analysis on the Leaf board. They have such a good handle on the Rangers situation. Ha ha!!

Old
06-09-2011, 10:10 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Come on. You really think the guy has these inner monologues? He's an athlete. These guys live to compete. The guy played hard. The offense didn't come. Why? Because he's not a great offensive player.

Be glad he's gone. But to crap on him on the way out the door is just unnecessary.
Eh, he's a professional athlete. If he is expected to do something that he does not do, than he is going to get crapped on. The guy makes millions, doesn't play worth his contract, thats how it works. Yes, of course he is going to sign the highest contract he can even if he can't live up to it. This is just the price of doing that...Especially in New York.

I personally don't hate the guy, and would love him on my team for $2mil...But if other feel the need to crap on him, I say go for it. His ears are plugged with 35 million dollars

Old
NYRJE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Drury had 58 and 56 points his first 2 seasons with us. If he had maintained that production the last 2 years, I would have been happy. Hell, if he had bounced back this year into the 50+ range I would have been happy. But with the injuries and the fading production, he has to go. I harbor him no ill will, but neither will I be sad to see him leave. We all knew this was coming, it was just a matter of when and how.
His average up the point where he signed was about 58 points p/season and so he was consistent the first two years of his contract with us. His role and ice time were significantly reduced and so the same type of production would have been difficult, at best. It certainly didn't help that he was injured.

Old
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

sorry double post

Old
06-09-2011, 10:11 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
If we buy Drury out, is he still on the team? What other stipulations come with us buying him out, besides a cap hit reduction?
yes, and he must play on the first line and also must recieve a fair amount of powerplay time

we buy him out and hes gone but a reduced cap hit remains.

i really dont understand how wolski doesnt have some sort of value, plenty of teams need help reaching the cap floor, and rather than taking on some ****** player why not take wolly who has some devent skill and seeing what you can get out of him in a contract year; the predators seam like an ideal place to trade him.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Make this happen Glen! Work that trade magic.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
bscharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Rangers were great to Drury for years and he doesn't have the decency to do us a favor and just retire? I understand the man wants to support his family but what's another 5 million to someone who's already made 50?

Good riddance you bum
Listen, Im as happy as the next guy that we are buying him out, but what person, on this planet, would retire and walk away from 7.05 million because the organization was nice to him? lol come on.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
chip chipperson*

why cant some people just say thanks for your service? he tried hard, had some success early on and got old. also represented the US well in the olympics. he is far from a bum. good luck drury.

Old
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I love reading the Ranger analysis on the Leaf board. They have such a good handle on the Rangers situation. Ha ha!!
They don't even have a good handle on their own situation.

Old
bscharf

Why dont they just trade wolski for the rights of richards? 2 birds one stone.

Closed Thread