HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
NYRangers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post

i really dont understand how wolski doesnt have some sort of value, plenty of teams need help reaching the cap floor, and rather than taking on some ****** player why not take wolly who has some devent skill and seeing what you can get out of him in a contract year; the predators seam like an ideal place to trade him.
I've thought this as well. Compared to signing a FA for 5 years, wouldn't you rather have less risk by taking on Wolski for a year and getting 40-50 pts out of him? If he bombs you aren't stuck with him for 4 more years, and he also has a comparable cap hit to what guys like Leino and Laich will get. Not saying we should keep him necessarily, just that he'd have to have decent trade value...right? I mean at worst a second rd. pick or something.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1400
Hopefully it's true we buy out Drury, but would we really not be able to get at least one draft pick for Wolski? Not even a 7th round pick?

06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Hopefully it's true we buy out Drury, but would we really not be able to get at least one draft pick for Wolski? Not even a 7th round pick?
Wolski's onerous contract/cap hit is the reason the Rangers want to buy him out in the first place...and also the reason other teams won't give up assets for him. When the Rangers buy him out he'll be a free agent, and other teams won't have to give up anything for him.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:21 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Do the rumors of Drury being bought out make him think about waiving his NMC for a trade should the opportunity arise? or does he benefit more from being bought out?

Old
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
The problem with Wolski is that the teams wanting him would most likely want to give us a contract back along with a draft pick. I think Sather just wants to get rid of Wolski's salary.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:24 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Wolski's onerous contract/cap hit is the reason the Rangers want to buy him out in the first place...and also the reason other teams won't give up assets for him. When the Rangers buy him out he'll be a free agent, and other teams won't have to give up anything for him.
3.8m cap hit for 45-50 pts is onerous? Isn't that the going rate?

Old
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Eh, he's a professional athlete. If he is expected to do something that he does not do, than he is going to get crapped on
If this is the case, who cares what he makes? The fact he was paid like an offensive player doesn't mean he will become one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
The guy makes millions, doesn't play worth his contract, thats how it works. Yes, of course he is going to sign the highest contract he can even if he can't live up to it. This is just the price of doing that...Especially in New York.
So it's his fault that someone decided to vastly overpay him?

06-09-2011, 10:27 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Yeah, that was an idea I floated on the trade board a while back, but the truth is, Florida could do better for themselves by trading Olesz for someone like Blake or Souray. They would save more money on a buyout of either one.
Sure the question becomes there. Why would Edomonton or Anaheim do that. Anaheim is cash strapped and a Blake buyout costs them 1.8m less then Olesz. Similarly, Edmonton can buyout Souray for less and doesn't need to worry about Souray's higher cap hit. Only the Rangers are motivated to spend more for the higher buyout amount for the lower cap hit because they both have the extra money and are up against the cap. No other team has both of those things and a player to buyout. NJ doesn't have extra money, they have a new arena.

Drury and Olesz buyout amounts line up to the difference of 500 or 600k and a guy making 3.4m and going up, yet scoring pts like Erik Christensen, isn't going to garner too much on the trade market.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
After Wolski is bought out he'll become a free agent, and other teams will not have to give up assets for him. That's why they're not trading for him.

At that point we will find out what the going rate is for Wolski...the going rate is whatever he signs for as a free agent.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:30 AM
ocarina

Quote:
When you factor in his inconsistency, questionable attitude and compete level, one dimensionality, and the fact he is coming off of a 35 point season, it is onerous.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
After Wolski is bought out he'll become a free agent, and other teams will not have to give up assets for him. That's why they're not trading for him.

At that point we will find out what the going rate is for Wolski...the going rate is whatever he signs for as a free agent.
Possibly, though it would help if we weren't telegraphing the buyout ahead of time. I still wouldn't bet against Sather getting something for him.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I actually like the Olesz idea. $372k hit this year, -$227k the next, -$477k the year after that, and then 3 years of $647k.

I could definitely live with 3 years of a tiny buyout hit of $647k.

But, there's not really a point unless Sather has some sort of plan for the extra cap space. Richards and our RFAS can be signed just from buying out Drury alone.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
When you factor in his inconsistency, questionable attitude and compete level, one dimensionality, and the fact he is coming off of a 35 point season, it is onerous.
For us, absolutely, I don't want him kept. Just thinking some team would take a chance on him, especially with a weak free agent class.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Is he really going to turn his nose up @ $35M+ because of "pressure"? No, and no sane human being would. I do not blame him for signing that contract; I blame the idiot upstairs for thinking it was smart to do so, when it was completely ill-advised, and trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
Agreed.

Quote:
Of course he is. Not his fault, though, that people are expecting him to perform above his own abilities.
One thing i never doubted about Drury was his work ethic. However, his last two seasons have been brutal. If he had played the way he did for his first two seasons here, I don't think people would have as big an issue with him. And honestly, I don't think he would even get bought out.

When you score 1 goal worth 7.5 million, you can't expect people to not rag on him. I realize injuries played a part in it, but still in all, the guy is useless and only blocking a young player from getting a shot now.

Quote:
Then I suppose Callahan would be a poor choice for captain as well?
Callahan leads on the ice and off. I don't know what interviews you watch with him, but i think he's generally emotional. I really liked the time he stuck up for his teammates and called out the fans. Something i could never see drury doing.

Quote:
And how would you know if he was "emotionless" or not? Are you in the locker room?
Part of being a captain is showing some sort of emotional personality whether on the ice or off. I don't think Drury ever showed sense of either.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:36 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

So it's his fault that someone decided to vastly overpay him?
He accepted the contract. When someone signs a contract, whether they are under-payed or over-payed, they are on the hook to perform. If they don't perform, there are going to be problems. Unfortunately that includes some fans sh***ing on you. You don't have to agree with it (I don't) but its life.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
He accepted the contract. When someone signs a contract, whether they are under-payed or over-payed, they are on the hook to perform. If they don't perform, there are going to be problems. Unfortunately that includes some fans sh***ing on you. You don't have to agree with it (I don't) but its life.
So if the Rangers decided to sign Donald Brashear this offseason and gave him 8M its up to him to score 50 goals? Or at least to expect him to?

Sather paid him a salary a player of his calibre doesn't deserve. Therein lies the blame.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Possibly, though it would help if we weren't telegraphing the buyout ahead of time. I still wouldn't bet against Sather getting something for him.
Ya never know. It's worth a shot, if some teams just look at the 45-50 points and don't factor in Wolski's constant disappearing acts.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I love reading the Ranger analysis on the Leaf board. They have such a good handle on the Rangers situation. Ha ha!!
I don't even think they have a good handle on what day of the week it is sometimes.

Of course we have our fair share of.. knuckleheads.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
So if the Rangers decided to sign Donald Brashear this offseason and gave him 8M its up to him to score 50 goals? Or at least to expect him to?

Sather paid him a salary a player of his calibre doesn't deserve. Therein lies the blame.
Brashear is not a good example. Choose again.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:50 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah screw you Drury. Screw you for getting old. Screw you for getting injured blocking shots. Screw you for being paid like an elite offensive player when you've never been one. Screw you for being used incorrectly. Screw you for signing a contract that someone else offered you. Screw you now people need a new whipping boy.
I don't even think it's worth defending anymore, SBOB. People are just gonna hate regardless.

That said, I would agree with both of these moves. I was holding onto a shred of hope that we could move Wolski for something of decent value, but that appears to be a pipe dream.

It's just pain.
Old
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Reijo R

Hmmmm......

For all of the Drury defenders:

How do we know Sather didn't offer $4M per and Drury kept negotiating until it was $7M? You make it seem like Drury hit Lotto; like Sather just offered $35M and Drury said "ok, thanks!". I'm sure there were negotiations involved and Drury (and/thru his agent) likely argued for more money, and he NEVER delivered on his argument.

Chris is a good kid but he did next to nothing on the ice for this organization. I wish him all the best but excuse me if I throw a party over this news. Good riddance.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Part of being a captain is showing some sort of emotional personality whether on the ice or off. I don't think Drury ever showed sense of either.

Let's not forget the "I won't let it ruin my Christmas" quote. Very UN-Captainly IMHO... it ruined my x-mas for sure.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
For all of the Drury defenders:

How do we know Sather didn't offer $4M per and Drury kept negotiating until it was $7M? You make it seem like Drury hit Lotto; like Sather just offered $35M and Drury said "ok, thanks!". I'm sure there were negotiations involved and Drury (and/thru his agent) likely argued for more money, and he NEVER delivered on his argument.

Chris is a good kid but he did next to nothing on the ice for this organization. I wish him all the best but excuse me if I throw a party over this news. Good riddance.
I seem to remember Drury had other offers in the 6 million a year range, so he was getting this type of contract from some team.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

If Sather was going to give Brashear $8M to score goals and come through when you need him, then yes, I would. However, we know that isn't realistic and no one in their right mind would make such a contract.

If Sather goes out and gives Brandon Dubinsky $7M a year, then I'd expect him to be scoring at like 80 points per season. If not then he won't be living up to his contract and will deserve any criticism he gets.

If I were to hire you for my business and gave you $200K per year based on your resume and you show up and performed like crap on a daily basis, then wouldn't you get fired?

Sure, Drury's resume wasn't worth what he got, and in sports we have the luxury of watching players every time they get to play if we want, but the principle holds true. Either way, if Sather didn't give him $7M, I'm sure someone else would have given him the same or similar. Except in hockey, contracts are guaranteed and with a NMC, Drury had zero risk if he did not live up to his contract, especially because before this year, a buyout would have been lunacy. If the fans bashing him is the worst that comes out of the situation for him, then I'd take that everyday.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Mason530

Gee, so many harsh comments. First, his contract was the result of a good year at Buffalo. Second, there weren't that many foresee the decline he is having. He plays hard and he tries hard. It is sad to see the decline.

Frankly, if his contract is @ $1 million per instead of $5, situation is entirely differently. No doubt, can't get rid of him fast enough but harsh comments is bit much.

Closed Thread