HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 11:00 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
For all of the Drury defenders:

How do we know Sather didn't offer $4M per and Drury kept negotiating until it was $7M? You make it seem like Drury hit Lotto; like Sather just offered $35M and Drury said "ok, thanks!". I'm sure there were negotiations involved and Drury (and/thru his agent) likely argued for more money, and he NEVER delivered on his argument.

Chris is a good kid but he did next to nothing on the ice for this organization. I wish him all the best but excuse me if I throw a party over this news. Good riddance.
LOL. That's not how negotiations work at all.

Sather could have walked away from the contract. He has a track record of doing this: Redden, Gomez, Drury, Rozy. Might as well add some of the lower cap hit contracts such as Kotalik, Brashear, and Boogaard, because they were overpaid as well.

At what point does Sather say "enough is enough, this is too much money?" He never does. You make it seem like Drury's agent held Sather at gunpoint and forced him to offer that contract.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
Gee, so many harsh comments. First, his contract was the result of a good year at Buffalo. Second, there weren't that many foresee the decline he is having. He plays hard and he tries hard. It is sad to see the decline.

Frankly, if his contract is @ $1 million per instead of $5, situation is entirely differently. No doubt, can't get rid of him fast enough but harsh comments is bit much.
At the end of the day, any of us would have taken the contract. However, anyone should be responsible for the decisions they make. If you're seriously going to take that money and you know the expectations of you going in, then if you don't live up to those expectations, of course you should expect the worst. Drury's getting off easy, because as I said, if he was in any other profession and did the same thing, he wouldn't have been around to even get this far. If people want to bash him, whatever. The man made his money and I'm sure Rangers fans disliking him doesn't weigh on his mind at all.

The man put his all out there. I know if I was in his shoes, knowing that I gave my all would make me sleep well at night. Sure I'd feel bad about the situation, but that's sometimes how it happens.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:04 AM
bubba5

Can't wait when Richards is in the 3rd or 4th year of his 7 year deal, we can copy and past this whole thread!

Old
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Can't wait when Richards is in the 3rd or 4th year of his 7 year deal, we can copy and past this whole thread!
and that's why i don't want him. Signing any 30+ year old player to a contract of more than 3 years is stupid. I hope the Rangers don't fall into that trap.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:06 AM
NYRangers16

Expecting Brashear to score 20 goals is the same thing as expecting Drury to score 40. Both were unrealistic expectations. Who's fault is it that all of you guys had unrealistic expectations for Drury? If you want to start throwing blame around, I think fans should take responsibility for not knowing the game better before blaming a player for not doing something he shouldn't have been expected to do.

Nobody ever should have expected Drury to be a 40 goal 50 assist center. That goes for Sather, Torts, and the fans.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:09 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Nobody should've expected Redden to be worth his contract either, anybody could see he was declining in Ottawa, but nobody had a problem with bashing him and banishing him to the AHL.

I like Chris. He's a very good guy and was a very good hockey player. But it's time to say goodbye and I'm glad.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Expecting Brashear to score 20 goals is the same thing as expecting Drury to score 40. Both were unrealistic expectations. Who's fault is it that all of you guys had unrealistic expectations for Drury? If you want to start throwing blame around, I think fans should take responsibility for not knowing the game better before blaming a player for not doing something he shouldn't have been expected to do.

Nobody ever should have expected Drury to be a 40 goal 50 assist center. That goes for Sather, Torts, and the fans.
That still doesn't excuse him for not living up to his contract. I can still say that Drury was expected to do the following:

Score goals when needed most especially in the playoffs. I can't remember one of these (and don't give me Devils game this year). This is probably #1.

Consistently put up at least 50 points per season. He did this the first two years.

Score at least 20 goals per season. He did this the first two years.

Consistently be an important faceoff man. He usually did this. He was above 50% in each of his seasons.

Provide on special teams. He did this on the PK. He also did well on the PP in his first two seasons.

We can say that Drury lived up to his realistic expectations for his first two years (oddly enough under Renney). Maybe him and Tortorella just didn't gel or maybe he just fell off into oblivion. Who knows? What we know is that now there's no space for him, and that's all.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
Do the rumors of Drury being bought out make him think about waiving his NMC for a trade should the opportunity arise? or does he benefit more from being bought out?
Benefits more from being bought out.

Sign a 1 year deal for 2 million this year, he still gets his 5 in total.

The he still have 1.6 coming from us next season, he signs another one year deal at any amount, it's all gravey.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So if the Rangers decided to sign Donald Brashear this offseason and gave him 8M its up to him to score 50 goals? Or at least to expect him to?

Sather paid him a salary a player of his calibre doesn't deserve. Therein lies the blame.
Why is it in Baseball owners, players and agents like Scott Boras get the credit for big contracts but in Hockey its only the GM?

Why is it Drury and his agent take no part in it?

Isn't there 3 parties involved here?

Old
06-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Why is it in Baseball owners, players and agents like Scott Boras get the credit for big contracts but in Hockey its only the GM?

Because the MLB doesn't have a salary cap.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

Because apparently if someone throws money at you, you're supposed to accept it even if you know that you don't deserve it. It's the way of the world.

Old
Jersey Girl

Quote:
LOL yeah, so four years from now we're all celebrating the buyout of the under-performing Richards so that we can offer a 30 year old Evgeny Malkin $8.5 million per for 8 years, because this time we REALLY have the answer to our scoring woes.

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

That's not true at all.

It's just pain.
Old
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Sather. Rinse. Repeat.
Quote of the year. Book it.

BTW, I'm totally using that in the future and giving you no credit for it

Old
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
the fact that you can't see any difference b/w the two tells me all i need to know. Please try to think a little deeper than "uhhh they're both 31 year old UFA centers!"

Old
PawelW007

Quote:
LOL yeah, so four years from now we're all celebrating the buyout of the under-performing Richards so that we can offer a 30 year old Evgeny Malkin $8.5 million per for 8 years, because this time we REALLY have the answer to our scoring woes.

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.
you've used this before...come up with something new!

Old
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Because ultimately, it's the GM who decides to pay a player. The player can ask for whatever he wants. It's the GM who decides that the player is worth that much. And in baseball, there's no hard cap. If there was one, you'd hear a lot more about it. With the Mets paying Castillo and Perez to not be on the team and the Yanks with the likes of Kei Igawa and Carl Pavano.

06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Because apparently if someone throws money at you, you're supposed to accept it even if you know that you don't deserve it. It's the way of the world.
I don't get this. Are you actually looking down your nose at Drury for signing that contract? Are you honestly telling us that if you were in his position you would decline and ask for less?

Old
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
bubba5

Quote:

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.
Circle of Life in Rangersland.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
If Sather goes out and gives Brandon Dubinsky $7M a year, then I'd expect him to be scoring at like 80 points per season. If not then he won't be living up to his contract and will deserve any criticism he gets.
So because he's paid 7M, he's supposed to do something that he's never done? How exactly does that work?

Quote:
If I were to hire you for my business and gave you $200K per year based on your resume and you show up and performed like crap on a daily basis, then wouldn't you get fired?
If you hired me for 200k and put me in a position that I wasn't equipped or qualified to fill, I'm sure I'd get fired. But you would be the idiot who hired me and decided to pay me that.

Old
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
the fact that you can't see any difference b/w the two tells me all i need to know. Please try to think a little deeper than "uhhh they're both 31 year old UFA centers!"
Yes ok a 31 year old coming of a concussion! Let throw him 6 -7 years at 7 million.

Old
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's see, if I had a contract as a consultant for $5M per year, and in year 3 my client says " ya know, this just aint working out. How about we give you $3.3M to walk away?"

How would I answer? "No, No that's OK, I'll just retire instead!" LMAO! that's pretty funny.

Look your kids in the eye and tell them when they were little you walked away from $millions.

Money is money, business is business.

I questioned the guys ability to help the team at the end of 2009/2010 season, and again at the start of 2010/2011, but make him out to be a bum for taking his money? That's a joke.

SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Right. Like you would turn it down.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
For all of the Drury defenders:
First of all, nobody is defending Drury simply saying he doesn't deserve having mud flung at him.

Quote:
How do we know Sather didn't offer $4M per and Drury kept negotiating until it was $7M? You make it seem like Drury hit Lotto; like Sather just offered $35M and Drury said "ok, thanks!". I'm sure there were negotiations involved and Drury (and/thru his agent) likely argued for more money, and he NEVER delivered on his argument.
For real? Love to be in the room for that conversation.

SATHER: I'll offer you four million.

DRURY: No.

SATHER: OK. Five mil

SATHER: Not a penny over 6M.

SATHER. Ok 7M. But if this doesn't work out, it's on you.

At the end of the day, Sather offered the contract and agreed to pay him.

Closed Thread