HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Good idea. Hope Slats reads this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Trade Drury to Columbus for Commodore and have Columbus buyout Drury. He waives NMC with Columbus agreeing to buy Drury out. Drury gets the same $3,333,333 in the buyout paid out over 2 years. Rangers open $3.3M in summer cap and another $3.75M when Commodore is assigned to the AHL or loaned to Europe. Commodore has another season on his contract. The new CBA will have a compliance buyout period with a lower cap in the CBA. Drury is a cheaper buyout for Columbus than Commodore. More than $1.2M cheaper in real dollars. Ran the idea past a Columbus beat writer and he thought Columbus would make it.

Edmonton swapped Pat O'Sullivan to Phoenix for Jim Vandermeer and Phoenix bought out O'Sullivan for a 1/3. Edmonton got a stop gap vet D they needed and Maloney saved real dollars in the transaction. Edmonton was planning to buyout O'Sullivan but they swapped him for a useful player.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Why is it in Baseball owners, players and agents like Scott Boras get the credit for big contracts but in Hockey its only the GM?

Why is it Drury and his agent take no part in it?

Isn't there 3 parties involved here?
Cashman and Minaya have gotten blasted for some of the free agent signings they've made. Minaya's penchant for giving out bad contracts is part of the reason he was fired.... Castillo, Perez, K-Rod, Bay.

GMs are criticized in all sports when they make a bad free agent signing. And in a cap league such as the NHL, those mistakes are magnified even further. It's not up to the player or agent to ensure that their contract is cap-friendly. That's the GM's job, and he has to make the decision to walk away when the price gets too high.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
If this is the case, who cares what he makes? The fact he was paid like an offensive player doesn't mean he will become one.
Agreed 100%. He's the one who took on that responsibility when he signed his name. I'm sure he really wanted to be the 35g 35a guy. It just didn't work out.

Quote:
So it's his fault that someone decided to vastly overpay him?
No, not his fault that he got the offer. He accepted the offer, and the responsibility of a huge contract. He couldn't deliver his worth. These guys know that playing in NY means being in the oven. I'm sure Drury himself isn't even happy with his production in NY. Like I said, I personally am not out to kill him, I'm just saying, scrutiny is part of what comes with signing a huge contract.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
McRanger

Quote:
So if the Rangers decided to sign Donald Brashear this offseason and gave him 8M its up to him to score 50 goals?

Sather paid him a salary a player of his calibre doesn't deserve. Therein lies the blame.
If Donald Brashear signed an astronomical contract it is up to him to either perform (whether that be scoring 50 goals or fighting entire teams at once) or live with the consequences. Whether that be being embarrassingly bought out, being waived and collecting his paycheck in the AHL, getting ripped by the media, being booed by the fans, having dogs bark at him, whatever. When a player signs a contract to be one of the better payed players in the league, there are expectations. If they aren't met, people get pissed.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Agreed 100%. He's the one who took on that responsibility when he signed his name. I'm sure he really wanted to be the 35g 35a guy. It just didn't work out.
I think Chris Drury wants to be an 100g 100a guy. But he can't. A bigger paycheck doesn't make the player better. It come downs to evaluating talent — something this GM has been pretty terrible about in free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
No, not his fault that he got the offer. He accepted the offer, and the responsibility of a huge contract. He couldn't deliver his worth. These guys know that playing in NY means being in the oven. I'm sure Drury himself isn't even happy with his production in NY. Like I said, I personally am not out to kill him, I'm just saying, scrutiny is part of what comes with signing a huge contract.
He took the offer and delivered what were basically normal seasons for him in his first two seasons here (again leading the team in goals his first season). Any expectation that the bigger the paycheck would mean bigger the production is on the guy who agreed to pay him that salary.

06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Right. Like you would turn it down.
I wouldn't, doesn't make it right.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL yeah, so four years from now we're all celebrating the buyout of the under-performing Richards so that we can offer a 30 year old Evgeny Malkin $8.5 million per for 8 years, because this time we REALLY have the answer to our scoring woes.

Sather. Rinse. Repeat.
Oh good the JerseyGirl Post Generator is still working.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
So because he's paid 7M, he's supposed to do something that he's never done? How exactly does that work?

If you hired me for 200k and put me in a position that I wasn't equipped or qualified to fill, I'm sure I'd get fired. But you would be the idiot who hired me and decided to pay me that.
That might be true but you would also be the guy who took money you knowingly knew you didn't deserve and knew you could never produce at that level.

In a cap world it works both ways. The blame falls to both the player and the GM. Ultimately it was Sathers bad call but Chris Drury knew that signing that contract would put the spot light squarely on him in the NY market where you better live up to your contract or you are going to hear about it. That doesn't even get in to what the cap hit does to the team etc etc.

It would be the same if I took an IT contract that I quoted WAY above the standard. Sure my client might sign it but as soon as they realize they are over paying there is going to be hell to pay.

Same as Chris's contract. He knew what he was getting in to, I am not sure he could have seen it ending any other way really. He was going to be the highest paid player on the team, he knew what he was capable of was only marginally going to cover his salary. He bet on himself and lost. He still gets paid but lets not act like he doesn't have any culpability in this.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
you've used this before...come up with something new!
I will use it until it no longer applies!

Old
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
That might be true but you would also be the guy who took money you knowingly knew you didn't deserve and knew you could never produce at that level.

In a cap world it works both ways. The blame falls to both the player and the GM. Ultimately it was Sathers bad call but Chris Drury knew that signing that contract would put the spot light squarely on him in the NY market where you better live up to your contract or you are going to hear about it. That doesn't even get in to what the cap hit does to the team etc etc.

It would be the same if I took an IT contract that I quoted WAY above the standard. Sure my client might sign it but as soon as they realize they are over paying there is going to be hell to pay.

Same as Chris's contract. He knew what he was getting in to, I am not sure he could have seen it ending any other way really. He was going to be the highest paid player on the team, he knew what he was capable of was only marginally going to cover his salary. He bet on himself and lost. He still gets paid but lets not act like he doesn't have any culpability in this.
So you're saying that Drury should of said "oh, I'm not that good, I should take less money"? That's a very naive way to look at it if you ask me.

Fact is, players generally want to get paid as much as they can, it's true in all professions. It's up to whoever is in charge to determine what to give the player, not the player himself.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Im happy his hideous contract is gone. Part of me is really sad though. Always liked Drury.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
I think Chris Drury wants to be an 100g 100a guy. But he can't. A bigger paycheck doesn't make the player better. It come downs to evaluating talent something this GM has been pretty terrible about in free agency.
Agreed.

Quote:
He took the offer and delivered what were basically normal seasons for him in his first two seasons here (again leading the team in goals his first season). Any expectation that the bigger the paycheck would me bigger the production is on the guy who agreed to pay him that salary.
Agreed that Sather is responsible for offering over his worth. I just believe that when Chris signed that deal, he took on a huge responsibility. In a lot of fans eyes he did not deliver his worth. With as much money as he made, I think it's ok for fans to show their displeasure with his performance. IMO the bigger the contract = the bigger responsibility. It was destined to fail from the minute he put his name on the dotted line.

All in all, its win - win for Chris Drury. He and his family are set for life, and I'm sure in 5-10 years this venom will die down quite a bit.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
McRanger

Quote:
If you hired me for 200k and put me in a position that I wasn't equipped or qualified to fill, I'm sure I'd get fired. But you would be the idiot who hired me and decided to pay me that.
You would be an idiot too. A richer idiot sure, but an idiot nonetheless. Or at the very least you would look like an idiot. Aside from getting fired and having people angry or laughing at you, your reputation would likely be shot.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:49 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
You would be an idiot too. A richer idiot sure, but an idiot nonetheless. Or at the very least you would look like an idiot. Aside from getting fired and having people angry or laughing at you, your reputation would likely be shot.
I don't think he'd be an idiot in this case, just lucky that someone was dumb enough to hand him all that money.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
NikC

Quote:
I think Chris Drury wants to be an 100g 100a guy. But he can't. A bigger paycheck doesn't make the player better. It come downs to evaluating talent — something this GM has been pretty terrible about in free agency.

He took the offer and delivered what were basically normal seasons for him in his first two seasons here (again leading the team in goals his first season). Any expectation that the bigger the paycheck would me bigger the production is on the guy who agreed to pay him that salary.
i'm not really sure how much blame you can lay at Sather's feet for Drury. Sure he overpaid, but only by $2m. Was Briere worth $8m?

Drury was pursued because he was relatively young @ 28, SC winning, clutch goal scoring his whole career, and coming off a 30/37g, 67,69, back to back season with huge playoffs for the Sabres.

Drury didn't warrant $7m, but Buffallo's last offer was $5m from my understanding. How long are we going to harp on a $2m over payment during a free agency year where that was the norm?

Drury was not elite talent, never was, but he was a "complete" player with a will to win. Was it is fault he was transplated on a team with not much supporting talent after his first season?

If Drury put up his #'s like he did with Buffalo, no one would complain about his $$. Aren't we still looking for 65-70p top six UFA's that are proven playoff performers? How much do you think they'd be worth @ 28 years old?

Drury's second concussion at the hands of Glengross, changed him for the worst imo. His skills eroded. I don't see why this needs to be another excuse to attack Sather over basically a $2m overpayment.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:51 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I could have thought I produce at that level. Or I could have said, "wow this guy really wants to hire me."

Quote:
Not sure how many times I need to repeat this. He had average Drury years his first two seasons here.

Quote:
If they realized they were overpaying, that's on them. A person is only worth what someone is willing to pay them.

Quote:
He has culpability because he broke down at an alarming rate? There's the risk with giving out long-term big money contracts. Something this GM still hasn't learned. The culpability is on the GM who keeps doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
That's hardly Chris Drury you're describing here, and THAT"s the difference.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Of people would be laughing at the person who paid that salary and decided I was a good fit for the position. And that person would look like an idiot who can't evaluate talent. If you pay a secretary like a CEP and are surprised you get a secretary, who's the idiot? Furthermore, if that person did over and over, it'd be a wonder how he kept his job.

Likely what would happen is I would then go out and have to take a paycut.

Bit of a different scenario because I would not be under contract and the shelf life of my career would be much longer than that of a professional athlete. And it's not like Drury lied on a resume.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
I don't think he'd be an idiot in this case, just lucky that someone was dumb enough to hand him all that money.
Being an athlete, Drury can ride his "idiocy" to retirement. For most people that live on a smaller scale, doing something like that can seriously damage your career.

I do not understand the "you would never turn down money" mentality that people mention all the time. People do it daily. Whether they cannot handle or do not want to deal with certain responsibilities or if they are unsuited for a particular job.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
When it comes to the almighty dollar, none of this matters.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i'm not really sure how much blame you can lay at Sather's feet for Drury. Sure he overpaid, but only by $2m. Was Briere worth $8m?

Drury was pursued because he was relatively young @ 28, SC winning, clutch goal scoring his whole career, and coming off a 30/37g, 67,69, back to back season with huge playoffs for the Sabres.

Drury didn't warrant $7m, but Buffallo's last offer was $5m from my understanding. How long are we going to harp on a $2m over payment during a free agency year where that was the norm?

Drury was not elite talent, never was, but he was a "complete" player with a will to win. Was it is fault he was transplated on a team with not much supporting talent after his first season?

If Drury put up his #'s like he did with Buffalo, no one would complain about his $$. Aren't we still looking for 65-70p top six UFA's that are proven playoff performers? How much do you think they'd be worth @ 28 years old?

Drury's second concussion at the hands of Glengross, changed him for the worst imo. His skills eroded. I don't see why this needs to be another excuse to attack Sather over basically a $2m overpayment.
Drury was 31 when Sather signed him, not 28.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
That's hardly Chris Drury you're describing here, and THAT"s the difference.
I like Drury, but is it really? He is getting fired. People are angry. His reputation (such as being a clutch performer) is damaged by his lack of performance. The only difference is Drury has enough money that what happens to his career is irrelevant.

I am sure going out in this manner bothers Drury as much as it bothers fans.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

Difficult choice. $35 million dollars and criticism, or much less and no criticism.

I'm not going to blame Drury for signing that contract. Just like I won't blame Redden or Gomez. I would be laughing at them if they turned up that much money due to "pressure" or "reputation".

06-09-2011, 01:00 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
When it comes to the almighty dollar, none of this matters.
It doesn't when you can retire on the contract. As long as you do not mind whatever "legacy" you leave behind.

For all other situations, it can be pretty damaging.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I like Drury, but is it really? He is getting fired. People are angry. His reputation (such as being a clutch performer) is damaged by his lack of performance. The only difference is Drury has enough money that what happens to his career is irrelevant.

I am sure going out in this manner bothers Drury as much as it bothers fans.
His reputation isn't damaged. He's an older player now who is on the decline. Now, is he going to get another multi-year huge money offer? Of course not.

Was Messier's reputation as a great leader damaged because he didn't make the playoffs again after leaving the Rangers for Vancouver?

Closed Thread