HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atlanta Fan Dispersal Draft: Welcome Shameus and flerd_trandle!

Old
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
A team that management has a delusional view of, huh FT and I should fit right in.

Honestly after doing some research this team looks like the the Thrashers the year after their playoff run. A little aging, a superstar and another plus offensive talent or two. In need of a little bit of youth infusion. Your prospect system also resembles the Thrashers around that time frame. Now though after a few good drafts there is a lot of young players that look they will be the base for a solid team for years to come. I promise a good draft or two can turn things around.

The biggest difference I see between that Thrashers' squad and this current Flames squad is in goal and the D corps. Those have always been areas that have plagued the Thrashers franchise so it is a plus for this team.

I do think Slater is the type of blue collar/lunch pail/heart and soul/leader type that could really work for the Flames and become a fan favorite. A lot of Thrashers fans, myself included, didn't realize how important he was to that team until he went down. Besides faceoffs he just is a plus bottom 6 kind of center who does the small things well. He will not get a lot of points, and at times pulls a "Mendoza" from the "Mighty Ducks" movies where he gets going and can't stop except to crash into something. He would definitely be one to keep an eye on for next summer if the Thrashers (I'm sorry I will never call them the Jets/Winni-whatever) let him leave. Also a current UFA that might not be a bad get and could be cheap is Dvorak. Was solid not spectacular in the bottom 6 and was good on the PK.

If this team needs a young D man or two, the Thrashers have 3 good young ones in Kulda, Zubarev, and Postma who all played in the A in the last season, there is not enough room so getting one away might be possible. Plus they have Zach Redmond turning pro with Sol and Chiarot. If I was going to cherry pick one....I'd go Zubarev or Redmond. Postma is a PP QB, and a good one, but I am not sure about his two way game. Zubarev already has a lot of pro experience not only in the A but in the KHL. I just think Redmond is going to be a solid but not spectacular pro who is dependable.

On the offensive prospect side, Pettersson might be easily picked up. He didn't have a great year in the A, but was very good in preseason and had a solid career over in Sweden.

Also Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel looks like he is going to be a better pro goalie than either of the goalies the Thrashers have above him in their prospect rankings.

Hope this information helps Flames fans with any proposals from the burg down the way in the future.
This is all really interesting stuff, thanks. I personally am a fan of what Slater brings to the table, and if he came to Calgary, I'd be very pleased. Dvorak I also like, but I personally don't see him being brought in.

A lot of us will be familiar with Postma - he played for the Calgary Hitmen in junior before Atlanta drafted him, so some of us got to see him quite a bit. I'd be more than happy to bring him in and give him an opportunity that a guy like Erixon might have got. And of course, any high-end offensive prospect would be more than welcome here in Calgary.

Not sure that we need anything in terms of goalies. We have Kipper signed for a few more years, and behind him we have Leland Irving and Joni Ortio, both of which a lot of people are high on here.

One guy I'm particularly interested in is Spencer Machacek. Would he be easy to acquire? I feel like he'd be a good 2nd/3rd line tweener, if given the opportunity.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
I grew up in New Orleans, so I was not in Atlanta when the Flames were, so I hold no ill will about that move. There is no grudge.
Hopefully a fellow NO Saints fan?

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Shameus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post
This is all really interesting stuff, thanks. I personally am a fan of what Slater brings to the table, and if he came to Calgary, I'd be very pleased. Dvorak I also like, but I personally don't see him being brought in.

A lot of us will be familiar with Postma - he played for the Calgary Hitmen in junior before Atlanta drafted him, so some of us got to see him quite a bit. I'd be more than happy to bring him in and give him an opportunity that a guy like Erixon might have got. And of course, any high-end offensive prospect would be more than welcome here in Calgary.

Not sure that we need anything in terms of goalies. We have Kipper signed for a few more years, and behind him we have Leland Irving and Joni Ortio, both of which a lot of people are high on here.

One guy I'm particularly interested in is Spencer Machacek. Would he be easy to acquire? I feel like he'd be a good 2nd/3rd line tweener, if given the opportunity.
I think Mach will end up being a plus 3 more than a 2/3 tweener, but yes I think he could be had for a late to mid draft pick. He has gotten a few games in ATL, but has been stuck in the A for awhile now. He has nothing left to prove at that level and the team has quite a few players who can do what he did and will probably play in the bottom 6 for the Thrashers this season. Antro/Slater/Thorburn/Stewart/Klingberg/Cormier/Maxwell/Stapleton all figure into the bottom 6 plans. Very likely leaving Mach out again, even though he could probably do a better job that 2 or 3 of those guys. I think if the new management figures they could at least get something for him, he could be had.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Xelstyle

Welcome flerd_trandle.
Likewise, take your time in healing up and getting to know the Flames.

Great comparison to the post-playoffs Atlanta. I can certainly see that having a guy like Slater would be the best piece the Flames could add in a realistic situation. It would also be amazing if that attitude became infectious as well...There are times when some of more talented players take some mental breaks during stretches of games.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:59 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Welcome to the Flames. I am so sorry.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:54 AM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
Hopefully a fellow NO Saints fan?
Oh yeah, a Saints fan, living in the city of the division rival Falcons.

flerd_trandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
Welcome to the Flames. I am so sorry.
+1

Welcome! Hope you enjoy frustrating, inconsistent hockey. I know I do!

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote