HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Wolly, I was never a fan of your chosen playing style, but if your ranger career is over than best of luck to you as well. You scored some clutch ones for us this season and turned it up a notch in the playoffs, which I know we all appreciated.
Wow, didn't know that scoring a meaningless goal signified "turning it up".

If Wolski turned it up, what did Bergenheim do?

Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm not a Wolski fan, but he at least has some potential value. I could live with him playing out his final contract year with us, even if it's not my first choice.

Avery....I don't know.

It's just pain.
Old
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
...Does anyone else find it ironic though that Drury's biggest goal involving the New York Rangers was AGAINST us?
He scored the GWG in the most important game involving the NYR and Drury? Nope, doesn't surprise me.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Wow, didn't know that scoring a meaningless goal signified "turning it up".

If Wolski turned it up, what did Bergenheim do?
His intensity level was evidently higher in the playoffs, at least from where I was sitting. I don't have too much nice to say about him, but playoff performance has never been Wolly's weakness.

06-09-2011, 12:56 PM
MSG the place to be*

Lets blame Sather for signing him to the contract. How could Sather overvalue him so terribly. Sather's UFA evaluations suck.

Meanwhile people here still think Drury would make a good bottom 6 forward!!!!!!

Can't make it up.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Hopefully, Drury already knows all of this and isn't learning about it through the NY Post and Daily News. How freaking classless would that be?

(edit) Nevermind. Reading is my friend.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Great player until we signed him like most free agents we've pick up. see ya

Old
06-09-2011, 12:58 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
As I posted a couple days ago, this is absolutely the right move by Sather. Drury out, Wolski stays, for now. We have enough room to pursue Richards and re-sign our RFAs at reasonable rates. IF disaster strikes via an offer sheet, or an arbitration, etc. we have the option of trading Wolski then, or buying him out then (arbitration opens a second buyout period).

Old
06-09-2011, 12:59 PM
OverTheCap

If Wolski's idea of "turning it up" during the playoffs is not hustling to beat out an icing.. yikes, we are in trouble next season.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's fine, so Drury's reputation will be tainted in the eyes of part of the Rangers fan base. You can't please everyone all the time.

10 years from now, when most people look back at Chris Drury, they'll remember a strong two-way player known as one of the better leaders of his time. And one of the top American players of his time. A guy that was a three-time Olympian, played in three Hockey World Cups, a World Junior Championship, a Calder Trophy, A Hobey Baker winner, BU's all-time goals leader. And one of the more clutch players over his career.
Hopefully. That is how I would like to remember him.

That won't be the case with everyone. Is Holik remembered only for his 3 cups, great two way play, the crash line etc etc? Or is he remembered as leaving NJ to sign a massive contract with the Devils arch-rival only to be embarrassingly bought out?

I wish Drury the best, but if you want the big money there are responsibilities and possibly consequences that come along with that. It happens.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I'm not a Wolski fan, but he at least has some potential value. I could live with him playing out his final contract year with us, even if it's not my first choice.
I'd have to think 1 year of Wolski, and a possible bounce-back in production is a better option than paying UFA market price for a guy like Jokinen or Gagne.

The guy has the compete level of an eggplant, but he's certainly got more raw talent than many guys on our roster.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:04 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
it should be noted that fans care about players reputations/"legacies" 100X's more than most players.
Bill Buckner could have used a friend like you 25 years ago.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:

Avery....I don't know.
to me the biggest key on wolski is that he is in the final year of his contract. unless we are replacing him with a top line LW i'd rather ride out the year with him and get that cap space of the books. instead of commiting 4 years to jussi jokinen because he's the best available at the moment and then we don't have cap space in future years for guys that might be available at the deadline.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Black Tank

The salary cap is the best thing that has ever happened to this franchise. Without it, we would be subjected to scenes of an out of gas, over the hill Drury trying to win a face-off back to an abominable Redden.

Sather should get the buy-out clause tattooed on his ass.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Hopefully. That is how I would like to remember him.

That won't be the case with everyone. Is Holik remembered only for his 3 cups, great two way play, the crash line etc etc? Or is he remembered as leaving NJ to sign a massive contract with the Devils arch-rival only to be embarrassingly bought out?

I wish Drury the best, but if you want the big money there are responsibilities and possibly consequences that come along with that. It happens.
Honestly, if you said "Bobby Holik" to me, I wouldn't have even remembered that at first.

Again, there are definitely some people that would rather focus on the negatives than the positives when evaluating a player's career. I do not, however, believe that to be the majority of hockey fans. I think the vast majority of people will remember his performance over the first ten years of his career, rather than disappointing final two.

And let's not eulogize Chris Drury just yet--I'm not at all convinced that he won't sign somewhere else for a year or two.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
It is unknown whether Drury will seek to continue his career or whether the 12-year veteran (255-360=615 in 892 games) and three-time USA Olympian will retire. Drury also played for the Avalanche, Flames and Sabres.

It is also possible, if not likely, that Drury will undergo medical treatment for his knee before deciding on a course of action.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1OntBoyRG

Just retire now

Old
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
If we part ways with Drury via buyout--someone will sign him. Of that, I am certain.

Who would sign him, though? Maybe Washington?

For our sake, we should hope that he signs in the East--you just know that we'll meet the team that signs him in the playoffs, and he'll put a dagger through the Rangers in the form of an OT goal or series winner.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-09-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fixed the word "buyout".
Old
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If the Rangers don't keep him, why are you so critical of him retiring?

So he wants to play more--let him. Doesn't really affect the Rangers in anyway, and if he does, maybe he finds his game. I hope only the best for Drury--very classy guy. Would be nice to see him lift Lord Stanley again.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 06-09-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fixed mistake.
Old
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
If the Rangers don't keep him, why are you so critical of him retiring?

So he wants to play more--let him. Doesn't really affect the Rangers in anyway, and if he does, maybe he finds his game. I hope only the best for Drury--very classy guy. Would be nice to see him lift Lord Stanley again.
Probably for $ reasons - it would be more beneficial to the NYR if he retire a la Naslund.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
If we part ways with Drury via buyout--someone will sign him. Of that, I am certain.

Who would sign him, though? Maybe Washington?

For our sake, we should hope that he signs in the East--you just know that we'll meet the team that signs him in the playoffs, and he'll put a dagger through the Rangers in the form of an OT goal or series winner.
Because he's still on the cap.

I don't want to see Drury go and have success somewhere else. He's had a nice career and he's a good person, but i'm not going to be rooting for him.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Would be nice, but doubt he would give up 3.7 mil just to help us out. I doubt he'll retire either.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Probably for $ reasons - it would be more beneficial to the NYR if he retire a la Naslund.
Why should Drury retire when he still wants to play? He doesn't owe the Rangers anything. Naslund retired because he was set to become GM of Modo--where he gets a pretty nice paycheck each year.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

I have returned from exile...THIS IS A GLORIOUS OCCASION.

GET LOST DRURY.

My dream of cutting the bum has come true!

Old
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Out of curiousity:

What's there to stop the Rangers from, um, "enticing" Chris to retire and then offering him a position as, let's say, Assistant GM for a similar salary? Clearly, the Rangers are in a position (financially speaking) to be able to do this. I wonder if there's any verbiage in the CBA to forbid this.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Drury was my favorite hockey player before he came to New York. When the Rangers were up 1-0 against Buffalo and he was on the ice with seconds left, everybody knew that if anybody was going to tie the game, it'd be him. And sure enough he did. That's what Chris Drury was all about.

Sadly his body couldn't keep up with his heart and it ultimately led to a disappointing run here. I hope he finds a new team and tears it up there.

Closed Thread