HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Keep dreaming bud, 4 years with the NYR he was awful every year. "The body didnt keep up"? Give me a break his skill couldint keep up with his contract. He was paid to be a top player but he is and always shoulve been a 3rd line guy. With Buff they were 4 lines deep, same as Col, so u could be fooled into thinking he was better at times but 3rd line and a tossed into special situations is Drury in his prime. You dont pay a guy that kind of money to do this. If he was paid 4 mil to play that role everything might have worked out better.
Right because 3rd line players put up nearly 10 seasons of ~55-65 points. I don't know how you can even argue that Drury wasn't a top 6 guy during his first 2 seasons here. Maybe not top 3, but definitely a 2nd line center.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'd wait until the ink is dry on this one. You can't buy out "injured" players. Not sure if that's a card that can be played here but there's certainly been enough written about his knee and the very real possibility that this issue was more severe and going on longer than we ever knew.

Drury has been a good NHL player. His contract and his production did not match up but that's no reason to be dancing on his grave. He served this franchise with dignity and honor.
I'd say that since Drury came back and played last year that he doesn't qualify as "injured" at this point. If he needed surgery he would have gotten it by now. Suddenly pulling a "oh **** I'm injured" card at this point would be a bit too suspicious IMO.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Right because 3rd line players put up nearly 10 seasons of ~55-65 points. I don't know how you can even argue that Drury wasn't a top 6 guy during his first 2 seasons here. Maybe not top 3, but definitely a 2nd line center.
Don't even bother. If someone honestly believes that Drury was "awful" his first two years here, then there's really no point even trying to have a sensible discussion with them.

Anyway, to those that keep asking, "Why won't Drury retire?" I think the answer is pretty clear...he still wants to play hockey in the NHL.

It's just pain.
Old
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Too bad.

I could remember how excited we all were when we signed him. And DONT LIE. You were.

The contract became larger then life unfortunately. Thats on Slats, not Chris.

We've beaten the deadhorse on this issue for months on end. Its finally over. But lets show some respect for a hardworking guy who put his heart and soul into this franchise. Unfortunately the writing was on the wall the past couple years as his game just deteriorated. All in all this signing was a bust when you take into account the full spectrum of the deal, but the guy busted his ass and you cant blame him for taking the money and security.

Hes a great guy, I wish him well. Smart move by the Rangers but yet another admission by Sather that he screwed up. Hopefully he has learned from past mistakes. I doubt he has, because now theres another 3 million freed up for Richards to be signed to a whopper.

I was never excited and i wanted Nyls back for a 2 seasons. Sure 4 years was too much but it would still have been better than Drury at 5 years at that price. When a team is a tear away from the Conferance finals you dont totally change the entire complexion of the team u add to it. You want to develop you develop under a great top line like that which we had that year.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Levitate

Problem was that Nylander didn't want to come back for just 2 years, he wanted a long term contract.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Problem was that Nylander didn't want to come back for just 2 years, he wanted a long term contract.
We had come to an agreement with Nylanders agent for a 3 year, 11 million dollar deal, as I remember, then Nylander fired his agent, nixed the deal and subsequently signed two contracts for 4 years, 20 mil between the Oilers and Caps within minutes of each other.

Perhaps not his best career move, but he got his paycheck.

06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Don't even bother. If someone honestly believes that Drury was "awful" his first two years here, then there's really no point even trying to have a sensible discussion with them.

Anyway, to those that keep asking, "Why won't Drury retire?" I think the answer is pretty clear...he still wants to play hockey in the NHL.
Well when your played out of position of the top line PP, because Renney felt he had to put him in the PP with his contract you tend to pile up a few extra points NO? When a guy who wasent scared to put Drury were he belongs contract or not everyone including people on here started trying to make up some crap that its because Dru got much worse and hes all injured. Some people ppl can never admit to being wrong on this website. I admitted i was premature at saying MZA was not NHL caliber hockey player but others are always right and everything is for a reason lol.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
CH2

Can I ask what is probably a redundant question? What's with all the Wolski hate? I think for the circumstances he came into, he played well for the most part. Tortorella got him to play defense which he did not even attempt to do with Colorado or Phoenix. He's probably the most skilled winger on the team besides Gaborik and he bought into the team concept rather quickly.

Wolski isn't a player that thrives in board play, but as time progressed he became stronger on the puck and more consistent in puck possession in the offensive zone. He's still a guy who has put up 60 points before and buying him out on a team with less than 40 games in the franchise would be a poor choice, in my opinion.

He's working with a skating coach so that he can handle the demands of Tortorella's conditioning program, I want that player on this team. His skill and better conditioning/skating? Sign me up.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
satrabyk

It also does not hurt that on Col and Buff for a couple years were offensive powerhouses, so putting up 50 points is more achievable. On the Rangers like i said they basically played him out of position as a top line guy under Renney and still had nowhere near Nyls 85 points or whatever he got here.

Old
XLJ

It makes sense to keep Wolski instead of potentially overpaying for a free agent like Leino, Jokinen or Fleischmann. Wolski is in a contract year so you got to think he plays hard and is motivated.

I like Avery so I have no problem with letting him play out his last year. He's fine playing a 4th line role.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I am happy that we are doing this and this is what I wanted but at the same time I am really sad to see him go.

The guy was a true professional and getting to be the captain of his childhood team is incredible.

I will actually will miss him and even though I want him gone I will still be thankful for the effort he put in day in and day out.

nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well when your played out of position of the top line PP, because Renney felt he had to put him in the PP with his contract you tend to pile up a few extra points NO? When a guy who wasent scared to put Drury were he belongs contract or not everyone including people on here started trying to make up some crap that its because Dru got much worse and hes all injured. Some people ppl can never admit to being wrong on this website. I admitted i was premature at saying MZA was not NHL caliber hockey player but others are always right and everything is for a reason lol.
What was I wrong about?

There's no objective logic that can be used to come to the conclusion that Drury was "awful" his first two years in New York.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
What was Buffalo's excuse for putting him on the top PP in 05-06 and 06-07?

Old
06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I am happy that we are doing this and this is what I wanted but at the same time I am really sad to see him go.

The guy was a true professional and getting to be the captain of his childhood team is incredible.

I will actually will miss him and even though I want him gone I will still be thankful for the effort he put in day in and day out.
My thoughts exactly. My brother texted me that Drury and Wolski were bought out. I was happy, cause it is good for my team. But later on and after reading this whole thread, you gotta start feeling bad for the man. Hope to see him sign a 1-2 million dollar contract somewhere, cause he obviously enjoys the game.

Was also happy to see we did not buy out Wolski. With the players on the team and the available players out there, I thought Wolski could bring something to this team next year. Hope he has a nice contract year with us.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Staple wrote this earlier today

Quote:
As for Brad Richards, Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk claims to be looking for a trading partner for Richards' rights, though Richards has a no-trade clause. The only way the Rangers, who as of now have four picks in this year's draft, would seemingly go for a rights trade is by moving a 2012 mid-draft pick or try to convince Nieuwendyk to take a player the Rangers want to move, like Wojtek Wolski, whose buyout on June 15 is almost certain.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...2?showAll=true

I wouldn't be surprised with anything which will happen. Brooks says Wolski stays. Staple says Wolski is going. Too many moving parts here.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesins54 View Post
insteading of buying out Wolski you think any1 would take Wolski + 15th to move into the top 10?
They wouldn't take him if we offered someone to move up five spots in the 7th round, much less the first.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I expect a lot of movement by the Rangers on draft day.

I expect EC to be traded for a 5-7 round pick, Avery possibly (but not likely), and maybe still even Wolski.

Old
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Can I ask what is probably a redundant question? What's with all the Wolski hate? I think for the circumstances he came into, he played well for the most part. Tortorella got him to play defense which he did not even attempt to do with Colorado or Phoenix. He's probably the most skilled winger on the team besides Gaborik and he bought into the team concept rather quickly.
Know what the problem is? A ton of people expected the 60-70pt Wolski because he put up good numbers at some point in his career. There was so much misguided love and expectation when he was acquired. I think he lived up to my expectations, no surprises either way. The ones who thought we stole a 1st liner are bitter. Sounds like the Drury situation to me. Kind of ironic.

Old
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Staple wrote this earlier today

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...2?showAll=true

I wouldn't be surprised with anything which will happen. Brooks says Wolski stays. Staple says Wolski is going. Too many moving parts here.
On stuff like this Brooks is almost never wrong.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
What was I wrong about?

There's no objective logic that can be used to come to the conclusion that Drury was "awful" his first two years in New York.
For his contract he was and for his type of minutes he was. For exp having him play top line PP and played with Jagr was awful. For what everyone including prob you was arguing about him when we signed him, yes he was awful. He had limited skill, poor balance, off and on speed. All i saw was good suprisingly for his poor balance good PK ability and faceoffs, and intercepting passes and played decent as a backup goalie. Other than that he didnt show much. As i said there were other guys we could have paid 2 mil to do hes job. When you put them on 5 on 3, 5 on 4s, they will also compile some points even if they are not meant to be on the PPs. 5 on 5 other than faceoffs Dru was below average. He throughout the 4 years has sparks of hope in terms of scoring and even i was hopefull but than just got worse the next shift or next game and didnt carry that compete he had the previous game. The fact is he was never that special on NYR that people want to sell on here. He didnt carry us anywhere in the playoffs, nor did he help us even get into the playoffs. He was less influential than most of our forwards for the years he was here.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Garfinkel1

Avery had ONE bad year. Give him a top 6 role playing with Dubi (He played well with Dubi + Jagr) and Maybe Cally.

But it could also be the start of a dramatic drop off in his play but im betting against that

Old
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
On stuff like this Brooks is almost never wrong.
I think this is good news. I may be an optimist but Wolski has had a few good yrs and he has'nt even gotten a full year. He is also workign with a few other Rangers on his skating. I hope Brooks is right cause he can be a 2nd line LW on this team.

As for Avery it is a no brainer he has one year left and he has not complained about moving from the 1st to 4th to the bench.

With both of these guys its only one year and gone anyways

Old
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
NYRJE

Quote:
For his contract he was and for his type of minutes he was. For exp having him play top line PP and played with Jagr was awful. For what everyone including prob you was arguing about him when we signed him, yes he was awful. He had limited skill, poor balance, off and on speed. All i saw was good suprisingly for his poor balance good PK ability and faceoffs, and intercepting passes and played decent as a backup goalie. Other than that he didnt show much. As i said there were other guys we could have paid 2 mil to do hes job. When you put them on 5 on 3, 5 on 4s, they will also compile some points even if they are not meant to be on the PPs. 5 on 5 other than faceoffs Dru was below average. He throughout the 4 years has sparks of hope in terms of scoring and even i was hopefull but than just got worse the next shift or next game and didnt carry that compete he had the previous game. The fact is he was never that special on NYR that people want to sell on here. He didnt carry us anywhere in the playoffs, nor did he help us even get into the playoffs. He was less influential than most of our forwards for the years he was here.
I completely disagree with this sentiment. He put up the same types of numbers in his first two years with the Rangers that he had been putting up for his career prior. Is it reasonable to expect better numbers because he was making more money? I don't follow the logic. You can't turn someone into an elite offensive forward just by paying him like one.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
That's fine, so Drury's reputation will be tainted in the eyes of part of the Rangers fan base. You can't please everyone all the time.

10 years from now, when most people look back at Chris Drury, they'll remember a strong two-way player known as one of the better leaders of his time. And one of the top American players of his time. A guy that was a three-time Olympian, played in three Hockey World Cups, a World Junior Championship, a Calder Trophy, A Hobey Baker winner, BU's all-time goals leader. And one of the more clutch players over his career.
I highly doubt people will remember that about him. Especially Ranger fans that saw him as a terrible leader for this team for the last 3 years of his career. And a block to fully have our kids take over the team. Now Cally will finally get the C and dubinsky will get his A.

Its whole new game now boys.

Drury was great at blocking shots, thats it, he will go in the books like Jed Orts and Blair Betts. A guy who disappeared at 31 and could barely hack in the NHL anymore is nothing people will be remember.

In 10 years we will look back and fans of other teams will look back and still be saying "Remember was Sather signed Drury for 7+ million, oh man was that ever a bonehead move for a player like thim"

Old
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If we don't land Richards, we're so, so screwed.

There's literally no one on the market that could improve this team after buying out Drury and Wolski...

Laich is more of the same.

Gagne has had to many injuries. Might as well keep Prospal.

I'd rather stay the course and miss the playoffs if we don't land Richards.

If we don't land Brad, we stay the course and continue building from within instead of spending $20+ million to buy a first line.

Closed Thread