HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much confidence do you have in Stepan & Anisimov?

View Poll Results: Confidence in Stepan being a good #1 center
10-30% 12 11.54%
30-50% 21 20.19%
50-70% 37 35.58%
70-90% 23 22.12%
90% + 11 10.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-09-2011, 02:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
How much confidence do you have in Stepan & Anisimov?

With the emergence of Stepan and the continued development and maturation of Anisimov -- both of whom can realistically pot 50+ points makes me wonder if this team needs to really blow their load over a centermen?

Looking at the Bruins line-up -- they don't really have that jaw dropping elite centermen. Their top guy down the middle is probably Krejci who potted a bit over 60 points. Instead, they have a balanced team with great depth which includes good ( not elite) centermen.

Stepan came in playing better than many of us expected. He continued his solid play in the world championships.

How much confidence do you have in a top 2 line consisting of Stepan and Anisimov down the middle? Instead of blowing our load on a center; would you rather trade for an elite winger in the mold of a Rick Nash, Hemsky, Parise (doubt he's traded to a rival), Iginla, Carter, or even a Sharp who can play wing and center...

If I were making the decision-- I would go after Patrick Sharp just to take some pressure off Stepan and Anismov-- and make one other move for another big time player outside of Gaborik. Not only do you probably make 2 additions/upgrades but you do it for the price of one Richards --give or take a mill or 2.

Guys like Del Zotto, McCillrath, Valentenko, Boyle, our 1st round pick from this year could be some names included in any package

This is of course if Richards situation gets out of hand. I'd give him tops 6.5 mill over 5-6 years ..maybe a hair more.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
With the emergence of Stepan and the continued development and maturation of Anisimov -- both of whom can realistically pot 50+ points makes me wonder if this team needs to really blow their load over a centermen?

Looking at the Bruins line-up -- they don't really have that jaw dropping elite centermen. Their top guy down the middle is probably Krejci who potted a bit over 60 points. Instead, they have a balanced team with great depth which includes good ( not elite) centermen.

Stepan came in playing better than many of us expected. He continued his solid play in the world championships.

How much confidence do you have in a top 2 line consisting of Stepan and Anisimov down the middle? Instead of blowing our load on a center; would you rather trade for an elite winger in the mold of a Rick Nash, Hemsky, Parise (doubt he's traded to a rival), Iginla, Carter, or even a Sharp who can play wing and center...

If I were making the decision-- I would go after Patrick Sharp just to take some pressure off Stepan and Anismov-- and make one other move for another big time player outside of Gaborik. Not only do you probably make 2 additions/upgrades but you do it for the price of one Richards --give or take a mill or 2.

Guys like Del Zotto, McCillrath, Valentenko, Boyle, our 1st round pick from this year could be some names included in any package

This is of course if Richards situation gets out of hand. I'd give him tops 6.5 mill over 5-6 years ..maybe a hair more.
Not confident enough that I won't pursue Richards, but if Richards doesn't sign, confident enough that I don't want to give up assets for Stastny, Weiss, or Spezza.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I have extreme amounts of confidence in both of these players--I don't think that they are going to be PPG centers and light the world on fire, but they're smart, versatile, and effective two-way centerman. I like Anisimov more between the two, but that's mainly because I love his style of play. Savvy, veteran like defensive play with some unreal talent that is waiting to be released.

And, no, I would rather get a legitimate 1st line center in the mold of a Jason Spezza, Paul Stastny, or Brad Richards. I don't think either of Anisimov/Stepan will become 1st liners, and you cannot win a cup without a 1st line center--that is a near absolute.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Having two solid 2nd line centers is better than having a 1st line center and a 3rd line center, IMO.

I think they could both pot 50+ points this coming season, which gives us a nice 1-2 punch at center, especially considering their age.

With Richards, we suddenly have great center depth with a 1A, 2A, 2B situation.

Before Stepan surprised us, we only had AA in the system and our future at center was kind of bleak. But now we have two legit NHL centers, both at a young age, and the possibility of adding an elite center to the mix as well.

With center depth, solid defense, and Hank in goal, I think we are definitely in good shape.

Thordic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Anisimov will become an ideal 2nd line center. 60 point guy who plays like Datsyuk.

I need to see some more of Stepan. He has the skills to be a number 1, imo, but we have to see some more to be able to legitimately say that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

The two will be very good NHL players, but neither will be the big time #1C that we so desperately need.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
The two will be very good NHL players, but neither will be the big time #1C that we so desperately need.
Does Boston have that big time #1c? Maybe Seguin in the long run; but right now?

Is Krejci an elite centermen>?

Old
06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Does Boston have that big time #1c? Maybe Seguin in the long run; but right now?

Krejci is good enough to take a team to the Cup.

He leads the playoffs in scoring. Points and goals. I don't believe either Stepan or Anisimov will become as good as Krejci currently is. Stepan could, but I'm not expecting it.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Levitate

Quote:

I'll be honest with you, I'm actually surprised Boston is in the finals and has things evened up. I thought they were a good team, but not quite good enough to make it to the finals.

I think they've done it by being a pretty deep team and having everyone step up at the right time.

e: I could also swear that Bruins fans usually hated how inconsistent Krejci is and the bad turnovers he makes a lot.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

To find a team that won a cup without a 1C, you are probably looking back to the 03 Devils.

I'd take a developed AA and Stepan over their centers in '03.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Krejci is good enough to take a team to the Cup.

He leads the playoffs in scoring. Points and goals. I don't believe either Stepan or Anisimov will become as good as Krejci currently is. Stepan could, but I'm not expecting it.
I fully expect Stepan matching Krejci numbers in a few years. Krejci isn't as picture perfect as youre making him out to be..he's had inconsistency issues.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:

Krejci is the leading the playoffs in points and goals as of right now.

Sorry, that's just how I feel about artem and Derek. Will be very good NHL players, but neither will be the big timer that puts us over the edge. I hope I'm wrong, but if I am proven wrong it might already be too late for some other assets of ours.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
To find a team that won a cup without a 1C, you are probably looking back to the 03 Devils.

I'd take a developed AA and Stepan over their centers in '03.
Yeah, but then you'd have to add Stevens, Neidermayer and Brodeur to our team.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Yes, but let's not forget our defense is our strongest point right now. It was compared to the Bruins of 89-90 -- so that's really not an issue.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Yes, but let's not forget our defense is our strongest point right now. It was compared to the Bruins of 89-90 -- so that's really not an issue.
By a guy who works for our team. I love gordie, I trust the guy, but let's not go overboard YET. Everybody is prone to a little hyperbole every now and then.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
By a guy who works for our team. I love gordie, I trust the guy, but let's not go overboard YET. Everybody is prone to a little hyperbole every now and then.
Sure-- but I don't need Gordie to tell me about Sauer, McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi.We've seen them play. All of them are solid defensmen with different skillsets and they're only going to improve. One has size and great reach, the other has tremendous strides etc.

If Erixon pans out like he is expected too- we're looking very good. I'm not one to hype. In fact, I'm very pessimistic when it comes to situations like these but I'm not going to lie. I'm fairly excited at how our d corps is shaping up.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
I'm not saying we are ready to win the Cup, and no Rangers fan is going to like being compared to a Devils team, but it's there. They went all the way based off balanced scoring depth, solid defense, and an elite goalie. The formula is similar.

Elite goalie? Check.

Solid defense corps? Check.

Offense from the blueline? Needs improvement.

Balanced offense throughout three lines? Check.

Throw some playoff heros in the mix (Callahan pulling a Langenbrunner, etc) and that's how we are going to win the Cup if we pull it off within the near future.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:34 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I'm not saying we are ready to win the Cup, and no Rangers fan is going to like being compared to a Devils team, but it's there. They went all the way based off balanced scoring depth, solid defense, and an elite goalie. The formula is similar.

Elite goalie? Check.

Solid defense corps? Check.

Offense from the blueline? Needs improvement.

Balanced offense throughout three lines? Check.

Throw some playoff heros in the mix (Callahan pulling a Langenbrunner, etc) and that's how we are going to win the Cup if we pull it off within the near future.
We need another goal scorer outside Gaborik. Balanced offense throughout 3 lines isn;t a check just yet, IMO.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Sure-- but I don't need Gordie to tell me about Sauer, McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi.We've seen them play. All of them are solid defensmen with different skillsets and they're only going to improve. One has size and great reach, the other has tremendous strides etc.

If Erixon pans out like he is expected too- we're looking very good. I'm not one to hype. In fact, I'm very pessimistic when it comes to situations like these but I'm not going to lie. I'm fairly excited at how our d corps is shaping up.
I love our D-Corp as well. I have a lot of faith in the future for them. That doesn't mean that they still don't have to go out there and prove it. They are young and have a lot of proving to do. So let's not bestow a title on them as fact until get there. Of the 5 D you mentioned only 2 have multie NHL seasons under their belt, one played a half a season and the other has yet to see NHL ice. The potential is there. But Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

To be a top team in the league you need to be average to above average in all 3 areas.

Teams like DET, PIT, CHI, VAN/BOS all are average to above average in all 3 areas.

With Richards and an assumed top-line LW the Rangers would possibly have an above average forward group. We'd have 3 very good offensive lines and a fourth line who can chip in.

Our defense is already one of the best shut down cores in the league and they're still very young.

And of course we have one of the best goalies in the world.

That would put us above average in all 3 categories, safety to safety a top 5-10 team in the league imo.

06-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Garfinkel1

I wish you split this poll into two.

First off, I have a TON of confidence in Stepan. You can just tell he's got hockey smarts oozing out his head. His passing/vission is already at a decent level and in time will be excellent. His skating we can work. I think he's gonna easily be a top 6 Center, possibly a #1C with the right work ethic and alittle bit of luck from his body.

AA I'm not as big on as I used to. I love the guy and I think EVERY part of his game is improving from a season to season let alone quarter of season to quarter of season basis. For some reason I just don't get that vibe from him that he's gonna be special.

He's still young and has PLENTY of development and growth left in him so I'm excited to see how he develops and I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a great... I just don't get that feeling when I watch him. (Theres a reason im not a scout and thats because I don't have the ability to see potential and all that... just my 28 cents) -Yeah I changed it up... 2 cents is wack.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
We need another goal scorer outside Gaborik. Balanced offense throughout 3 lines isn;t a check just yet, IMO.
We had 5 20-goal guys this year, and AA had 18.

Stepan looks like he'll be a 25 goal guy next year. Anisimov should be good for 20 at least. It wouldn't be a huge surprise is Stepan flirted with 30 and AA hit 25.

I think we do have the scoring. Consistency & experience aren't there yet but the talent to provide scoring depth exists. And we still have some pieces to add in to the mix before we contend.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
In fact, I'm very pessimistic when it comes to situations like these but I'm not going to lie. I'm fairly excited at how our d corps is shaping up.
Yeah, I don't blame you. 3 years ago I said... Our D is going to be the BEST D in the league by now. Granted our D is getting there now but that's bc of Rookies like McD and Sauer stepping up and players like Girardi going into beast mode. Nothing I EVER would have predicted.

Quote:
We had 5 20-goal guys this year, and AA had 18.

Stepan looks like he'll be a 25 goal guy next year. Anisimov should be good for 20 at least. It wouldn't be a huge surprise is Stepan flirted with 30 and AA hit 25.

I think we do have the scoring. Consistency & experience aren't there yet but the talent to provide scoring depth exists. And we still have some pieces to add in to the mix before we contend.
Yeah, I agree. I would also bet that Dubi nets 30+.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I love our D-Corp as well. I have a lot of faith in the future for them. That doesn't mean that they still don't have to go out there and prove it. They are young and have a lot of proving to do. So let's not bestow a title on them as fact until get there. Of the 5 D you mentioned only 2 have multie NHL seasons under their belt, one played a half a season and the other has yet to see NHL ice. The potential is there. But Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
That's a gimmick. You always wait for results and these scenarios vary from player to player.

I'll bring up the Korpikoski for Lisin trade. When I heard it I was devastated. Didn't like the deal one bit. However, you had some who loved Lisin's potential -- but he had no level of success at any level other then that 13 goal season in Phoenix. I wasn't fond of his resume.

Some players let their resume speak for themselves. This allows you to look past the potential a little bit and gives you a bit more confidence. Players like Stepan, McDonagh, Erixon, and even Sauer have this resume I speak of.

Yes, it's one thing to do it at other levels but it's another to do at the NHL level. However, it's not too difficult to pick out individuals who you think have a high likelihood of success at the NHL level. Most of whom are 1st round picks.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

A "good" #1 center? Less then 30%.

But Stepan will be able to do the job in a year or two.

AA i don't see being able to step up and take on that role anytime soon.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote