HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much confidence do you have in Stepan & Anisimov?

View Poll Results: Confidence in Stepan being a good #1 center
10-30% 12 11.54%
30-50% 21 20.19%
50-70% 37 35.58%
70-90% 23 22.12%
90% + 11 10.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
We had 5 20-goal guys this year, and AA had 18.

Stepan looks like he'll be a 25 goal guy next year. Anisimov should be good for 20 at least. It wouldn't be a huge surprise is Stepan flirted with 30 and AA hit 25.

I think we do have the scoring. Consistency & experience aren't there yet but the talent to provide scoring depth exists. And we still have some pieces to add in to the mix before we contend.
Not sure any of our 20 goal scorers are pure goal scorers; if that makes any sense to you.

When I think of goal scorers I think of Gaborik, Iginla, Camalleri-- along those lines. Someone to that capability to take pressure off Gaborik would be good.

I don't know what it is but I want Sharp really bad. Someone like him would be good. Multiple 30+ goal scorer.

Personally our offense should be built around 3 guys who carry the majority of the load.... the #1 center(whoever that may be), Gaborik, and that other game breaking winger.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:53 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
That's a gimmick. You always wait for results and these scenarios vary from player to player.

I'll bring up the Korpikoski for Lisin trade. When I heard it I was devastated. Didn't like the deal one bit. However, you had some who loved Lisin's potential -- but he had no level of success at any level other then that 13 goal season in Phoenix. I wasn't fond of his resume.

Some players let their resume speak for themselves. This allows you to look past the potential a little bit and gives you a bit more confidence. Players like Stepan, McDonagh, Erixon, and even Sauer have this resume I speak of.

Yes, it's one thing to do it at other levels but it's another to do at the NHL level. However, it's not too difficult to pick out individuals who you think have a high likelihood of success at the NHL level. Most of whom are 1st round picks.
Levels of success vary and the cup isn't won on paper. Stop handing it to us on the backs of players who have had 1 year or less experience in the league. These players need to prove they can play consistently like that again and again. Remember Del Zotto? Last year he was leetch, these year he's a bum. What if that happens with Derek? There ARE going to be growing pains. There might be set backs. So stop anointing a couple of rookies as savouirs until there resume shows they have more than 0-1 year experience performing at a high level.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Levels of success vary and the cup isn't won on paper. Stop handing it to us on the backs of players who have had 1 year or less experience in the league. These players need to prove they can play consistently like that again and again. Remember Del Zotto? Last year he was leetch, these year he's a bum. What if that happens with Derek? There ARE going to be growing pains. There might be set backs. So stop anointing a couple of rookies as savouirs until there resume shows they have more than 0-1 year experience performing at a high level.
Del Zotto was very inconsistent last year defensively. Those with Rangers blinders on failed to see that b/c he produced offensively. Thanks for proving my point about Resumes, which Del Zotto has very little of at ANY level. Not sure why you're getting in a hissy fit. Nobody is anointing anyone as anything.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Del Zotto was very inconsistent last year defensively. Those with Rangers blinders on failed to see that b/c he produced offensively. Thanks for proving my point about Resumes, which Del Zotto has very little of at ANY level. Not sure why you're getting in a hissy fit. Nobody is anointing anyone as anything.
You just contradicted yourself though. According to your definitions, his offense should have been the same this year. It wasn't. So to expect that every young players development will continue in a straight line upward is asinine after 1 year of play.

If I'm hiring somebody for a job I'm hoping they have multiple years experience doing something very well n

Old
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
You just contradicted yourself though. According to your definitions, his offense should have been the same this year. It wasn't. So to expect that every young players development will continue in a straight line upward is asinine after 1 year of play.

If I'm hiring somebody for a job I'm hoping they have multiple years experience doing something very well n
I'm not sure why you're arguing this since I never said anyone is set in stone after 1 year of hockey. What I did say was in response to your "we dont have stevens or neidermayer" is that our strong point and depth in the organization is at D -- Are you seriously going to sit there and say that's not true?

Stevens and Neidermayer were once rookies too. Some players are very easy to pick out from others. When you see talent you see it.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:16 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

It is our strength, but at this point, it's a little premature to compare them to a blueline anchored by two hall of famers.

Babcock once said: "until you win the cup, you have not won the cup"

He's talking about the cup but the sentiment is the same. Until these players have reached that level, they arent at that level. We can't see the future.

I love our young players. I think they have the potential to be great. But I'm not counting my eggs before they've hatched.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:18 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think Anisimov will become an ideal 2nd line center. 60 point guy who plays like Datsyuk.
Datsuk? Nothing in common except the country of origin.

At best Anisimov would become the next brad Richards and at worst - another Steve Ruccin.

BOS have an elite 1C. He had a head injury and still does. When Savard was here he didn't look any better than Stepan.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Datsuk? Nothing in common except the country of origin.

At best Anisimov would become the next brad Richards and at worst - another Steve Ruccin.

BOS have an elite 1C. He had a head injury and still does. When Savard was here he didn't look any better than Stepan.
People have a hard time fathoming what I mean by Datsyuk light...

Defensively responsible
Good puckhandler
Good offense

But no, nothing in common at all and I obviously am calling Anisimov the next Datsyuk. :

Steve Ruccin is a very nice comparison. I'd be thrilled if that was his lowest upside.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

I have a bit more faith in Stepan than in Anisimov. I think Stepan will continue to improve and can become a good top line center or a very good second line center.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I like both players a ton. Both AA and Step are well rounded NHLers, neither are a #1 center.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:39 PM
ogie

i hate to make this comparison but i see Stepan as a Chris Drury type of player.....rather a pre-rangers chris drury. a solid all around center that isn't flashy but gets the job done and can be clutch when the game is on the line.

As for AA .... to be honest i do not know what will become of him. he has flashes of brilliance, and then disappears. To be honest i think that moving him to the wing might be the best thing for him.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:41 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i hate to make this comparison but i see Stepan as a Chris Drury type of player.....rather a pre-rangers chris drury. a solid all around center that isn't flashy but gets the job done and can be clutch when the game is on the line.

As for AA .... to be honest i do not know what will become of him. he has flashes of brilliance, and then disappears. To be honest i think that moving him to the wing might be the best thing for him.
Stepan = Patrice Bergeron

Old
06-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Levitate

Stepan sees the ice better than Drury i think

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Stepan I believe can become the #1 center we've all needed.

Anisimov disappeared for long stretches at critical times. No confidence in him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post

Anisimov disappeared for long stretches at critical times. No confidence in him.
He's a second year player.

He put up nearly 40 goals and over 80 points in his last year in the AHL.

Anisimov has a lot of upside.

Once he fills out his frame, and strengthens his legs, he's going to be a very tough guy to play against. Long reach, very good wrist shot. Add to that he's very good away from the puck.

Stepan needs to improve his strength and his skating.

They both have very high upside. But both have areas they need to improve. Including faceoffs. They're kids. They need to mature physically.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Pugs35

Quote:

Well, so did Stepan.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
He's a second year player.

He put up nearly 40 goals and over 80 points in his last year in the AHL.

Anisimov has a lot of upside.

Once he fills out his frame, and strengthens his legs, he's going to be a very tough guy to play against. Long reach, very good wrist shot. Add to that he's very good away from the puck.

Stepan needs to improve his strength and his skating.

They both have very high upside. But both have areas they need to improve. Including faceoffs. They're kids. They need to mature physically.
I hope you're right. But I am not as optimistic as everyone else, I think Anisimov can get 60 point upside at best. Stepan, well the sky is the limit for this kid.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:18 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post

especially at this point in their careers. They're just kids. Same with MDZ. Too bad Sather couldn't of traded us Messier after he stunk up the WHA for two seasons. Drastic example but it takes time and patience.
Anisimov has a heck of a wrist shot and can handle the puck real well. He's young though, and needs to work on getting stronger. Can't have Chara (speaking of late bloomers) pushing you down with one hand while skating backward.
I'd be surprised if anyone has lost confidence in Stepan already.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I hope you're right. But I am not as optimistic as everyone else, I think Anisimov can get 60 point upside at best. Stepan, well the sky is the limit for this kid.
I think the sky is the limit for Stepan if he really works his butt off to improve his skating and strength.

If he doesn't go to Barb Underhill this summer, it makes one wonder if there is a lack of direction. He NEEDS to improve his skating.

He has a short stride. I had this issue when I was a kid. Its very correctable. And it can be done relatively quickly with some work with a power skating instructor.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I think the sky is the limit for Stepan if he really works his butt off to improve his skating and strength.

If he doesn't go to Barb Underhill this summer, it makes one wonder if there is a lack of direction. He NEEDS to improve his skating.

He has a short stride. I had this issue when I was a kid. Its very correctable. And it can be done relatively quickly with some work with a power skating instructor.
He'll fill out in the next 2 years, be patient my friend.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:24 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
It is our strength, but at this point, it's a little premature to compare them to a blueline anchored by two hall of famers.

Babcock once said: "until you win the cup, you have not won the cup"

He's talking about the cup but the sentiment is the same. Until these players have reached that level, they arent at that level. We can't see the future.

I love our young players. I think they have the potential to be great. But I'm not counting my eggs before they've hatched.
Hopefully no one was confused after he said that. I agree with your post but I think the "you" is more in reference to the team rather than the player himself. Of course no one has a crystal ball.

Detroit keeps a very close knit team, and I believe that goes a long way into developing a Stanley Cup contender. It's all about the cliche words people hear all the time like "team chemistry," or a group of players finally starting to "gel." Becoming a better hockey player takes a lot of hard work. But I think a lot of personal success stems from the relationships that are established outside of the arena (and no Captain put nearly as much work into being available for his teammates than Messier). Your confidence is up when you have teammates and coaches who aren't giving up on you.

Although Zherdev chasing his wife around with a pipe might have been a bit too much for Messier or Babcock to handle.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I don't really like the question/poll. I think the world of both Stepan and Anisimov. Both will be very good players for a long time, but I don't think either is the answer to be a first line center on a cup contending team.

In the case of the Bruins that the OP brings up, you're right, they don't have that center (well, they do, but Savard is injured). But they have arguably the best goalie (yes, so do we) PLUS arguably the best defenseman in the league, Chara. So they are balanced, but their blueline group is among the league's best (yes, so is ours, but Staal is not Chara).

I see the point OP is trying to make, but I don't think it necessarily works. The Rangers need an elite puck distributor and playmaker.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think to compare the Rangers of today to the Rangers or the Devils of the early/mid 90s or to the Bruins of the late 80s is ridiculous.

Staal is worse than Leetch, Zubov, Stevens, Niedermeyer and Bourque. He is about the same as a young Wesley, maybe a little better.

Then there were guys like Beukeboom and Daneyko who were better than anyone on the Rangers today who is not named Staal.

The Rangers are good, but they would need MDZ to become Zubov and McIlrath to become Beukeboom to compare to those old teams.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think people are underestimating Stepan because he played it safe his rookie year and did not display his hockey iq genius that we saw at lower levels.

His absolute floor is 65 points. His ceiling is 60-65 assists plus 25-30 goals for 85-90 points.

Realistically, I can see him getting 25 goals, 50-55 assists on a regular basis.

Watch out next season.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Levitate

Really? A 100 point player?

I know you're saying that's his ceiling and all but that is a bold, bold claim and one I can't agree with. That would make him the best center IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. No center scored 100 points last year. Henrik Sedin and Stamkos were the closest at 94 and 91 points respectively.

I love Stepan but even being generous I don't think he's that good at all. I think his absolute upside is closer to 75 points or so and he's more likely to be a consistent 60-70 point player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote