HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers interested in Kris Versteeg

Old
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
i'm surprised that people undervalue steeg and carle so much.
Kinda agree... to say value wise Cale and Versteeg arent good enough to get to a 19 yr old player who hasnt played in the NHL... I dont agree with that. It's one thing that Florida doesnt accept. It is another that those two's value are somehow lower than a prospect.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Kinda agree... to say value wise Cale and Versteeg arent good enough to get to a 19 yr old player who hasnt played in the NHL... I dont agree with that. It's one thing that Florida doesnt accept. It is another that those two's value are somehow lower than a prospect.
Players of Carle and Versteeg's caliber could be gotten on the Free Agent market and they would not have to give up one of their top prospects, hense their decreased value in trades.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It's not that it would be Florida not accepting, it's that no team in a similar situation is going to accept. The only reason would be to get closer to the cap floor, but that's hemorrhaging a long-term asset for a player who is only guaranteed for a year. If they're in a situation like us, maybe it could make sense. But even then, we're not gonna be trying to help them out, and we'd probably run into cap problems anyway.

I understand the value in an NHLer who is young and relatively well established. But trading that type of player for a top prospect goes beyond that.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Terence Peterman

In the case of Versteeg, I think we're really underrating him around here. I don't know why it's cool to **** on him so hard...dude played with his torn abdomen wall and didn't complain once, even after the season. You try being a hockey player and not being able to use the middle of your torso.

Another season and he's probably got his 4th of 20+ goals while being able to play any forward spot, in any situation. Even if that's his ceiling, that's pretty damn impressive.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAKES View Post
Id trade my left nut for Gudbranson for Versteeg. I was thoroughly unimpressed by him
Make it both and you have yourself a deal

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
In the case of Versteeg, I think we're really underrating him around here. I don't know why it's cool to **** on him so hard...dude played with his torn abdomen wall and didn't complain once, even after the season. You try being a hockey player and not being able to use the middle of your torso.

Another season and he's probably got his 4th of 20+ goals while being able to play any forward spot, in any situation. Even if that's his ceiling, that's pretty damn impressive.
He's an overrated 3rd line player. Always has been and always will be.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I read what was on HF about Repik, but has his game improved at all this past season? From his stats, it seems he hits more than his size, kinda Giroux-esque... maybe.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post

Versteeg has his merit, and scoring is one of them. However, his poor puck management and frequent defensive gaffes are unbecoming of someone you want to be playing on what is (primarily) a shutdown line with Richie.

And I'm one of the ones who defended him hard when he got here.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Versteeg has his merit, and scoring is one of them. However, his poor puck management and frequent defensive gaffes are unbecoming of someone you want to be playing on what is (primarily) a shutdown line with Richie.

And I'm one of the ones who defended him hard when he got here.
I NEVER want to go through the PP year we had.

Richards, Giroux, and Versteeg are supposed to get their points on the PP. Richie and Roo didn't do that this year...

So let's get a full year of a healthy Versteeg into the mix and see if we can't fix our PP.

Honestly, everyone *****es and moans about the goaltending, but how about we score some ****ing PP goals at ANY time this year?

I was all for Leino > Versteeg just as short as a month ago, but the more I think about it, Versteeg is the right answer.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Richards, Giroux, and Versteeg are supposed to get their points on the PP. Richie and Roo didn't do that this year...

So let's get a full year of a healthy Versteeg into the mix and see if we can't fix our PP.

Honestly, everyone *****es and moans about the goaltending, but how about we score some ****ing PP goals at ANY time this year?

I was all for Leino > Versteeg just as short as a month ago, but the more I think about it, Versteeg is the right answer.
I don't think Versteeg is going to be what cures our ailing PP. I mean, it was great last year, terrible this year.

The players we already have are capable of forming a dominant power play; they just didn't do it this year for whatever reason.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I don't think Versteeg is going to be what cures our ailing PP. I mean, it was great last year, terrible this year.

The players we already have are capable of forming a dominant power play; they just didn't do it this year for whatever reason.
That response is not good enough for me if we're trying to win a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Versteeg is a pesky top 9 forward that is good on offense and defense so unless its a great trade for us I wouldn't do it. I would get rid of Leino before him. The only thing that bugs me about him is that stupid mouth piece that is always hanging out!!

Same with Carle, he is very undervalued on these boards. With the system we run we have to expect our d-men to not be able to stay healthy all season long because they take a beating every game along the boards. We need to at least have five good top 4 D's on this team and we have that in Pronger/Kimmo/Coburn/Carle/Mez.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know some people mentioned Repik, but is he NHL ready at all? Would be benefit from being with certain players?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Versteeg is a pesky top 9 forward that is good on offense and defense so unless its a great trade for us I wouldn't do it. I would get rid of Leino before him. The only thing that bugs me about him is that stupid mouth piece that is always hanging out!!

Same with Carle, he is very undervalued on these boards. With the system we run we have to expect our d-men to not be able to stay healthy all season long because they take a beating every game along the boards. We need to at least have five good top 4 D's on this team and we have that in Pronger/Kimmo/Coburn/Carle/Mez.
In a perfect world this is next year when the projected TV deal kicks the salary cap up a notch...

vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Leino
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
Nodl - Richards - Versteeg
Powe - Betts - Holmstrom
Shelley

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Coburn
Meszaros - Gustafsson
Bartulis

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

As it stands now though, something has to give. Versteeg, Leino, Hartnell, Carle...they're all capable top 6 forwards/top 4 defensemen. We just can't keep them all.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Gibbs18

Quote:

Ehh we were 19th in PP% at 16.9 %. You have to remember Pronger was out for 30 games in the regular season. It seems like whenever he comes back we start scoring on the PP. If Pronger for the most part is healthy next season you will see us get into the 10-15 in the NHL in PP%. I like Versteeg but the decesions he makes with the puck are just stupid. Leino needs to not think pass all the time and start shooting some more.

I would rather have Leino but I wouldnt mind Versteeg.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs18 View Post
Ehh we were 19th in PP% at 16.9 %. You have to remember Pronger was out for 30 games in the regular season. It seems like whenever he comes back we start scoring on the PP. If Pronger for the most part is healthy next season you will see us get into the 10-15 in the NHL in PP%. I like Versteeg but the decesions he makes with the puck are just stupid. Leino needs to not think pass all the time and start shooting some more.

I would rather have Leino but I wouldnt mind Versteeg.
We were a top 5 PP without Pronger, we should still be a top 5 PP without Pronger.

Having Pronger out is not a justifiable excuse for this PP not to work.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:

I honestly think that they were too tired from this system Lavy has in place and once the pp came around they slowed it down too much. Tired legs will make the pp worse and make for a lot of 2 on 1s against you and that happened way too often last season. Just my rant about that....

Either way Versteeg could help out the pp but the most important thing that we are missing is the guy in front of the goalie doing his job. Knuble was great at it and Hartnell needs to practice at the pp a lot this off season because Hartnell could be great at it with a lot of practice.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I honestly think that they were too tired from this system Lavy has in place and once the pp came around they slowed it down too much. Tired legs will make the pp worse and make for a lot of 2 on 1s against you and that happened way too often last season. Just my rant about that....

Either way Versteeg could help out the pp but the most important thing that we are missing is the guy in front of the goalie doing his job. Knuble was great at it and Hartnell needs to practice at the pp a lot this off season because Hartnell could be great at it with a lot of practice.
I want to see Nodl's offseason workout focused around the crease.

He doesn't have the hands to make an offensive weapon, but if we can make him valuable around the net, his boardwork and defensive play will take care of the rest.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:59 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Soo....

Carter + Versteeg + Carle

for

Gudbranson + Repik + Landeskog/Larsson + 2nd 2012

I could live with that.
Ha, me too. Nothing would make me happier than to see Landeskog in orange and black. I would cry.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:

He doesn't have the hands to make an offensive weapon, but if we can make him valuable around the net, his boardwork and defensive play will take care of the rest.
Yeah if Nodl could just pitch in the offensive side more often he would be a good cheap third line player to have around because of his defensive play.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
That response is not good enough for me if we're trying to win a Stanley Cup.
And Versteeg somehow fixing the PP isn't good enough for me if we're trying to win a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
carter + versteeg + carle
for
gudbranson + repik + 2011 1st + 2012 2nd

boom. there's my dream.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Soo....

Carter + Versteeg + Carle

for

Gudbranson + Repik + Landeskog/Larsson + 2nd 2012

I could live with that.
Versteeg + Carle for Gudbranson I can live with.
Versteeg + Carle for 2011 #1 + 2012 #3 I would do.
Carter + Carle for Gudbranson + Shore + 2011 #1 + 2012#3 I would do
But to move Carter, Versteeg ,Carle for Gud+Repik + 2011 #1 and 2012#2 No way
But I would love to see Landeskog in Orange and Black. This kid is going to be something special and he is my #1 pick in the draft. Heck he speaks better english than I do

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
VanSciver

Quote:

No question. Just win board battles, check well defensively. And go to the net hard on a consistent basis.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:50 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I don't understand what happened to Nodl. If I remember correctly he was a great shooter early in his career and a goal scorer. We never saw much of him up until the playoffs last year where he acted as a grinder.

When did this transition from scorer to grinder happen. Also, who is to say he won't regain his scoring prowess with more confidence, strength, and experience.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote