HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I expect a lot of movement by the Rangers on draft day.

I expect EC to be traded for a 5-7 round pick, Avery possibly (but not likely), and maybe still even Wolski.
I too think EC gets traded on draft day just to clear cap space. There's no more room for him on this team. Theres younger players coming up who I'd rather see than his inconsistencies.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If anyone thinks they wouldn't sign a 7 million contract to play in the historic Madison Square Garden even if you were a 2nd-3rd line tweener, you're crazy.

If I were offered to that, I would sign, and for $35 million, all of you can boo all you want. Why would someone reject a huge paycheck like this? It sets him up for the rest of his life.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
It is in Vancouver. Have you ever talked to a 'Nuck fan about him? Not exactly loved in that city.

So Messier got a nice big fat contract and shat the bed. He gets his money, but probably won't be very popular there, ever. Fair trade, no?
The difference is that Messier played like **** when he came back here, too. And he kept playing. And kept playing. And kept playing. Even when it was painfully clear he did more harm than good, and that the franchise desperately needed to move on and in a different direction, he was still here. He just wouldn't go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's fine, so Drury's reputation will be tainted in the eyes of part of the Rangers fan base. You can't please everyone all the time.

10 years from now, when most people look back at Chris Drury, they'll remember a strong two-way player known as one of the better leaders of his time. And one of the top American players of his time. A guy that was a three-time Olympian, played in three Hockey World Cups, a World Junior Championship, a Calder Trophy, A Hobey Baker winner, BU's all-time goals leader. And one of the more clutch players over his career.
Don't forget one of the better penalty killers and defensive forwards, a paradigm of positioning, stickchecking and scoring dirty goals around the net on the PP, absolutely eating up loose pucks and rebounds, of the last 20-30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
Lets blame Sather for signing him to the contract. How could Sather overvalue him so terribly. Sather's UFA evaluations suck.

Meanwhile people here still think Drury would make a good bottom 6 forward!!!!!!

Can't make it up.
Every team in the league would jump at the chance at having Drury on their team, assuming the price was reasonable, they could afford it, and they didn't already have a guy who was more or less his equal.

That makes for a lot of possible destinations. I would love Chris Drury on my team, where he would still be an asset as a 4th line player, and probably could still contribute on a well-oiled PP unit, a chance he never received once Johnny Cakes took over.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
I highly doubt people will remember that about him. Especially Ranger fans that saw him as a terrible leader for this team for the last 3 years of his career. And a block to fully have our kids take over the team. Now Cally will finally get the C and dubinsky will get his A.

Its whole new game now boys.

Drury was great at blocking shots, thats it, he will go in the books like Jed Orts and Blair Betts. A guy who disappeared at 31 and could barely hack in the NHL anymore is nothing people will be remember.

In 10 years we will look back and fans of other teams will look back and still be saying "Remember was Sather signed Drury for 7+ million, oh man was that ever a bonehead move for a player like thim"
If you say so. I guess time will tell. I disagree one billion percent, but we'll see.

It's just pain.
Old
06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jed Orts and Blair Betts.
Ortmeyer and Betts should wish they have a quarter of the career that Chris Drury has had.

06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Well when your played out of position of the top line PP, because Renney felt he had to put him in the PP with his contract you tend to pile up a few extra points NO? When a guy who wasent scared to put Drury were he belongs contract or not everyone including people on here started trying to make up some crap that its because Dru got much worse and hes all injured. Some people ppl can never admit to being wrong on this website. I admitted i was premature at saying MZA was not NHL caliber hockey player but others are always right and everything is for a reason lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
What was Buffalo's excuse for putting him on the top PP in 05-06 and 06-07?
Still waiting on an answer.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

Good news. Feel bad for Drury but good news.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
If we don't land Brad, we stay the course and continue building from within instead of spending $20+ million to buy a first line.
Exactly. Having the extra money from the Drury buyout would allow a lot of flexibility at the trade deadline if something opens up for a top line player, or even something that the team needs at the deadline in terms of depth at a position. Buying him out is the best thing for the team. The youth will have the leadership on this team, which is something that hasn't happened in a while.

Our centers without Richards aren't too bad, but we'd need to sign someone to play 3rd line center as I think you'll see a lot more of Stepan with Gaborik this season, and unless Boyle improves again, I'd rather him be on the 4th line.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:26 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
I highly doubt people will remember that about him. Especially Ranger fans that saw him as a terrible leader for this team for the last 3 years of his career. And a block to fully have our kids take over the team. Now Cally will finally get the C and dubinsky will get his A.

Its whole new game now boys.

Drury was great at blocking shots, thats it, he will go in the books like Jed Orts and Blair Betts. A guy who disappeared at 31 and could barely hack in the NHL anymore is nothing people will be remember.

In 10 years we will look back and fans of other teams will look back and still be saying "Remember was Sather signed Drury for 7+ million, oh man was that ever a bonehead move for a player like thim"
Anybody who thinks the guy didn't have a career of any kind worth looking back on, and is comparable to Betts or Ortmeyer is

People have a horrible habit of judging people things based on hype/expectations. Like certain movies that are good on their own merits but people will feel the need to tear down b/c it was hyped up by some as the best thing ever.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Come on. You really think the guy has these inner monologues? He's an athlete. These guys live to compete. The guy played hard. The offense didn't come. Why? Because he's not a great offensive player.

Be glad he's gone. But to crap on him on the way out the door is just unnecessary.
Great post...

the venom on this board is unreal...like any poster here would turn a promotion at their own job for more money.

I've seen more sympathy on this board for Redden who totally sucked. I can't believe people are pissed off that Drury signed a contract Sather put in front of him...where does this stuff come from?

The guy gave 100% every shift...if you're ticked off about his contract then send email to MSG...pressure of NY what a joke...this is the Rangers not the Yankees, even when they were in the playoffs they didn't get a back page in the papers until they were eliminated?

Old
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Nobody should've expected Redden to be worth his contract either, anybody could see he was declining in Ottawa, but nobody had a problem with bashing him and banishing him to the AHL.

I like Chris. He's a very good guy and was a very good hockey player. But it's time to say goodbye and I'm glad.
My sentiments exactly...no need to take a dump on the guy going out the door, I'm happy Sather is finally moving him but he isn't the POS some people are making him out to be...once again our glorious GM overpaid another guy, thats who I blame.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
First of all, nobody is defending Drury simply saying he doesn't deserve having mud flung at him.

For real? Love to be in the room for that conversation.

SATHER: I'll offer you four million.

DRURY: No.

SATHER: OK. Five mil

SATHER: Not a penny over 6M.

SATHER. Ok 7M. But if this doesn't work out, it's on you.

At the end of the day, Sather offered the contract and agreed to pay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Great post...

the venom on this board is unreal...like any poster here would turn a promotion at their own job for more money.

I've seen more sympathy on this board for Redden who totally sucked. I can't believe people are pissed off that Drury signed a contract Sather put in front of him...where does this stuff come from?

The guy gave 100% every shift...if you're ticked off about his contract then send email to MSG...pressure of NY what a joke...this is the Rangers not the Yankees, even when they were in the playoffs they didn't get a back page in the papers until they were eliminated?
Sather put the contract in front of him, Drury asked him to put it there. He's not a victim of Sather's reward, He's not a victim of his success in Colorado and Buffalo. He was a UFA who sought after his highest payday ever and made sure he cashed in on it. Sather was the sucker who fell for it. They're both at fault.

I really don't get why it has to be one and NOT the other on a contract between two entities. Where do you think that would end up in a court of law? How about how the NHL sees it when there needs to be a breach when we discuss the Redden situation. Who is responsible then?

C'mon, be serious, be logical. Saying it's all Sather's fault and nothing is Drury's doesn't make the least bit of sense at all. It's all emotional, irrational, and has no logical basis what so ever.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sather put the contract in front of him, Drury asked him to put it there. He's not a victim of Sather's reward, He's not a victim of his success in Colorado and Buffalo. He was a UFA who sought after his highest payday ever and made sure he cashed in on it. Sather was the sucker who fell for it. They're both at fault.

I really don't get why it has to be one and NOT the other on a contract between two entities. Where do you think that would end up in a court of law? How about how the NHL sees it when there needs to be a breach when we discuss the Redden situation. Who is responsible then?

C'mon, be serious, be logical. Saying it's all Sather's fault and nothing is Drury's doesn't make the least bit of sense at all. It's all emotional, irrational, and has no logical basis what so ever.

Drury is at fault if you think he made a conscious decision to break down and not be an effective player.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Why is it in Baseball owners, players and agents like Scott Boras get the credit for big contracts but in Hockey its only the GM?

Why is it Drury and his agent take no part in it?

Isn't there 3 parties involved here?
The blame for contract mistakes in any sport (or business for that matter) always go to the person who is offering the money. It's why the small markets can't do what the big market teams can do, bury a player who isn't performing to their salary.

Players can only get a contract someone is willing to pay...all too often Sather winds up setting the market...did it with Drury, Gomez, Redden, Boogard and Roszy in the salary cap era.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
First of all, nobody is defending Drury simply saying he doesn't deserve having mud flung at him.

For real? Love to be in the room for that conversation.

SATHER: I'll offer you four million.

SATHER: OK. Five mil

SATHER: Not a penny over 6M.

SATHER. Ok 7M. But if this doesn't work out, it's on you.

At the end of the day, Sather offered the contract and agreed to pay him.
LMAO...and in the rest of the business world the guy who continued making bad hiring decisions would be fired. Not so for Sather.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
His reputation isn't damaged. He's an older player now who is on the decline. Now, is he going to get another multi-year huge money offer? Of course not.

Was Messier's reputation as a great leader damaged because he didn't make the playoffs again after leaving the Rangers for Vancouver?
or missing them when he returned to NY.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
It is in Vancouver. Have you ever talked to a 'Nuck fan about him? Not exactly loved in that city.

So Messier got a nice big fat contract and shat the bed. He gets his money, but probably won't be very popular there, ever. Fair trade, no?
He got a big fat contract in Vancouver? I thought he went there because he didn't go out for beers with Smith

Messier's reputation wasn't tarnished by missing the playoffs when he returned to NY.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Can we get the page numbers that have the updates in them in the thread title of these massive threads so we don't have to take 20 minutes scrolling through post after post just to find the reports?

Mods?

Please. It would make things easier and would be appreciated.

Were did they say Wolski wont be bought out?

Old
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Can we get the page numbers that have the updates in them in the thread title of these massive threads so we don't have to take 20 minutes scrolling through post after post just to find the reports?

Mods?

Please. It would make things easier and would be appreciated.

Were did they say Wolski wont be bought out?
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...I9uIN1v1FwpfiO

Old
In The Flesh

I'd rather have Drury on the 4th line than Wolski on the team.

Good move $$$ wise though.

Old
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If you say so. I guess time will tell. I disagree one billion percent, but we'll see.
We shall

Quote:
Ortmeyer and Betts should wish they have a quarter of the career that Chris Drury has had.
I'm talking about just his final couple years. Obviously overall Drury's career as a whole was 2000x the career they had combined.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
parcsalooc

Conflicting reports
http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...ought-out.html

Old
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
Good news. Feel bad for Drury but good news.
Its hard to feel bad for a guy making that type of money and even when he is bought out he is still collecting a 5M paycheck despite not having to even come to work.

Plus who knows, maybe some team will sign him for 500K to play on the 4th line.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parcsalooc View Post
If it was just Jesse Spector saying Drury will be bought out, I'd be a bit skeptical. If Brooks and the NYP run with it, it seems totally believable.

Arthur Staple? Who is Arthur Staple?

Old
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
LMAO...and in the rest of the business world the guy who continued making bad hiring decisions would be fired. Not so for Sather.
So would the "worker" when the worker does not perform to the best of his abilities.

Closed Thread