HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs re-sign Andrei Kostitsyn 1 year/3.25M

Old
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
Would have shopped him a bit at the draft ... Maybe try to get a guy a bit younger with 3rd line potential.

BG was a proponent of last year of contract guys ... I think the brass will expect that to remind Andre that he should be producing consistently. But I also think this should signal to Andre that he isn't in the plans long term ... Try to get all you can out of him now ... Sort of

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
PricePkPatch

Good. Very good. With Eller, he will dominate our 3rd line and give us depth.

I expect a 50-60 point season for him, if we don't put him in the top 6. 40 points if we do.

The guy is kinda like a call option. He has trouble getting the upper hand, hockey-wise, but when he does, God does he produce...

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Lord Chezz

3.25 for a 20 - 25 goal scorer.

Market value.

Lord Chezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Would have shopped him a bit at the draft ... Maybe try to get a guy a bit younger with 3rd line potential.
That's still a possibility, maybe even more so now that AK is now under contract and can't be tempted by the KHL... but I'd guess that the return for him wouldn't make the trade worthwhile for the Habs.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ross MacLochness

He was the best forward on the team from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season. He earned himself another season with us. Plus we need MORE guys who are 220lbs+ and can put up 20-25 goals, not LESS.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post

BG was a proponent of last year of contract guys ... I think the brass will expect that to remind Andre that he should be producing consistently. But I also think this should signal to Andre that he isn't in the plans long term ... Try to get all you can out of him now ... Sort of
Why trade a 2nd line caliber player for someone with the potential to play 3rd line? That sounds silly to me.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bullsmith

No surprise there.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LyricalLyricist

Am i the only one hoping AK doesn't break out now? If he does, his salary demands increase and we're not sure if its a 1 year thing or a career change.

Is it bad if I say I just want the guy to be physically consistent and be a 25-25 guy and be dangerous so he can collect his 15 mil for 4 years deal after. Then, he can break out?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I LIRL
Same here

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I don't like him... Too much inconsistent... Hope we trade him.
Knowing you, I'm surprised. Him and Patches are the only players with skills that hits.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:27 PM
PricePkPatch

Yes, you are the only one who wish AK doesn't break out.

If he breaks out, he'll make us much more potent contenders. The end. If he's a disaster, we don't resign him anyway.

You gotta balance long term and the now. AK isn't a valuable long term investment, seeing his track record. Too many "if".

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
neofury*

I don't think people realize just how dominant AK is going to be playing on the 3rd line against other 3rd liners. Especially once Lars Eller finds his magic. It's going to be disgusting he's going to school weaker D and forwards. There's two reasons he played well there before and it was chemistry with Eller and the competition being not comparable.

This is why you need to roll with 3 balanced scoring lines. In the new NHL it's how you can have an overpowering offense while still relying on a defense first system. Just because you have 3 scoring lines doesn't mean you can't have 1 damn good checking line and play defense first.

Our management team has a lot of the right tools already in the shed they just need a few more, some legit power tools (Jagr, Laich, etc) and maybe some Wiz, Bieksa, etc.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:36 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Am i the only one hoping AK doesn't break out now? If he does, his salary demands increase and we're not sure if its a 1 year thing or a career change.

Is it bad if I say I just want the guy to be physically consistent and be a 25-25 guy and be dangerous so he can collect his 15 mil for 4 years deal after. Then, he can break out?
25-25 would be fine at his salary and I'd be more than happy to keep him for a deal. I think PG would be a fool to let this guy walk and I've been talking him up for years. I have my entire HFboards reputation resting in this guy and I have faith whether it's with us or someone else he's going to be a star.

We can't let this guy walk, I still see he's developing now. He has a very long learning curve but I think if we give him the benefit of the doubt he's going to be one hell of a vet some day we just need to be patient. That's the problem in Montreal people never are. We have a guy whose big, hits, scores, has had some injury problems that arguably have held him back from time to time, and because we're impatient we just want to ship him off.

I don't want to ship him off because at the end of the day we ship him off he's going to out-produce Penner and make a bunch of people on these forums look real stupid.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
That's still a possibility, maybe even more so now that AK is now under contract and can't be tempted by the KHL... but I'd guess that the return for him wouldn't make the trade worthwhile for the Habs.
Ha ha ... I suppose your right there

I think Andre has some value and he is a good option to exchange for cap space

More likely than Spacek etc..

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Thank you Jesus! This news makes my summer. I love what this dude brings to the Habs! A physical player with an offensive upside. Well played Gauthier. Right up there with Price and Subban, imo.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
so this is how you get rewarded for letting two guys walk in in 2 different overtimes to win the game, the future looks bright in montreal!
Yeah! Gauthier should just have let walk a 20-goal scorer RFA, instead of giving him something barely better than his qualifying contract.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
so this is how you get rewarded for letting two guys walk in in 2 different overtimes to win the game, the future looks bright in montreal!
Like?

Name me a better replacement that would, beyond any doubt, be interested in signing in Mtl at a reasonable price (yes, 3.25/1y is reasonable for a 20-25GS).

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Viggo Mortensen

I like the salary, not the lenght

People need to understand that he was only playing 16min a night. If we look at pt/mins he is at 1pt/28min.......compared to our leading scorer Plek who has 1pt/26,3min.

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Stradale

Let's not forget that AK's game did improve this season especially defensively. He was leading the team +\- after 50 games or so... Until JM had the brilliant idea of pairing him with Gomez again. Most of AK's slump happened when he was playing on Gomez's line.

Like neofury said, I have no problem if AK plays on the third line with Eller next season. AK will be dominant on the third line, playing against third liner.

A good top 6 anymore, you need a good top 9 to be a cup contender.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:10 PM
elsubz

lmao at people calling him inconsistent. Pretty much all our 10-11 roster had an inconsistent year except for Carey.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure what other choice Gauthier had. Kostitsyn did not deserve a raise. Habs cannot afford giving this guy a long-term contract. This was clearly a case of "Same money, prooves to us AND to the rest of the league that you're a real top 6 player".

So it's a good move....but again, not sure what other moves were makeable here...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Boardish

Every 40-50 pts players in the league are inconsistent. Most people that say he's too inconsistent and would prefer somebody else only watch habs games.

Cammalleri was REALLY inconsistent last year, but people still love him. Yeah, he's way better offensively, but he also cost way more. And Kostitsyn is more valuable to the team than Cammalleri is when they are both in a slump.

When you are Russian (or at least, when people think you are russian), it seems like you HAVE TO be a superstar, else you are just lazy and you suck.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Knowing you, I'm surprised. Him and Patches are the only players with skills that hits.
I know that he's physical, BUT he's very inconsistent, even in the physicality department.

I'm tired of seeing him having the same old difficulty when the puck come to him in d-zone, etc...

And he's suppose to be a goal scorer, and yet, he haven't break the 30 goals mark. And, futhermore, PG said that AKost always finish in our top scorers every year, that's sad.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:22 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't think people realize just how dominant AK is going to be playing on the 3rd line against other 3rd liners. Especially once Lars Eller finds his magic. It's going to be disgusting he's going to school weaker D and forwards. There's two reasons he played well there before and it was chemistry with Eller and the competition being not comparable.

This is why you need to roll with 3 balanced scoring lines. In the new NHL it's how you can have an overpowering offense while still relying on a defense first system. Just because you have 3 scoring lines doesn't mean you can't have 1 damn good checking line and play defense first.

Our management team has a lot of the right tools already in the shed they just need a few more, some legit power tools (Jagr, Laich, etc) and maybe some Wiz, Bieksa, etc.
Do you think that Drury as a 4 th line center could be an option. He s a good face off guy and PK. He could come n play with his buddy Gomez and maybe Jagr.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:24 PM
MTL-rules

I hopt PG is planning on getting rid of Gomez because we'll likely have the same pathetic group of forwards and no new, much needed, acquisitions.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote