HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Arthur Staple? Who is Arthur Staple?
Sarcasm or serious? He's the Newsday reporter. I believe he mostly covers the Devils but occasionally covers Rangers related information. RangerBoy posts blurbs from his media coverage every now and then. Staple is a reputable source IMHO, but it's interesting to see that these reports are conflicting.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
TomLaidlaw

More cap space for Sather. Hide the kids. It is like giving a pyromaniac a book of matches. He just can't help himself.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:19 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
If it was just Jesse Spector saying Drury will be bought out, I'd be a bit skeptical. If Brooks and the NYP run with it, it seems totally believable.

Arthur Staple? Who is Arthur Staple?
That Staple article makes no sense regarding Drury. The Rangers had the organizational meeting, where everyone gets together and Sather makes a plan for the off season, a couple weeks ago in California. I am 100% confident that a decision about Drury was made then, and is not being left for a spur of the moment decision at the last minutes. Completely illogical.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sarcasm or serious? He's the Newsday writer. I believe he mostly covers the Devils but occasionally covers Rangers related information. RangerBoy posts blurbs from his media coverage every now and then. Staple is a reputable source IMHO.
I agree that Staple is generally reputable as a beat writer, but there's no doubt that he lacks the sources that Brooks has.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
That Staple article makes no sense regarding Drury. The Rangers had the organizational meeting, where everyone gets together and Sather makes a plan for the off season, a couple weeks ago in California. I am 100% confident that a decision about Drury was made then, and is not being left for a spur of the moment decision at the last minutes. Completely illogical.
It was probably made before our season even ended. You look at the way Torts responded to the media following the exit interviews, and you know that he would not have spoken about Drury the way he had, had he felt there was a chance Drury would be playing for the Rangers next season. Torts had to know internally that the Rangers had no plans for utilizing Drury in the future.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Thank you, kind Sir.

Interesting. I wonder if they plan to keep him or use him in a trade.

Maybe the Barb Underhill thing is making them want to wait and see.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
OverTheCap

Arthur Staple has been a sports reporter with Newsday for about 15 years. He's pretty reliable. He reported last June that Redden would be waived.

He's also had some informative interviews with Torts. I think his connections to the team are solid.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Sarcasm or serious? He's the Newsday reporter. I believe he mostly covers the Devils but occasionally covers Rangers related information. RangerBoy posts blurbs from his media coverage every now and then. Staple is a reputable source IMHO, but it's interesting to see that these reports are conflicting.
I know who he is. I'm just saying, Brooks--love him or hate him, our most reliable source of Rangers information--confirms an earlier report from Jesse Spector, that's pretty legit. Arthur Staple is hardly a regular for breaking Rangers news, so I don't put much stock in his report. I trust Brooks' sources over Staples' sources.

EDIT: azrok's point earlier is also spot on. Why would the Rangers have not yet decided what to do with these guys? The buyout period starts in 6 days.

It's just pain.
Old
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Sather put the contract in front of him, Drury asked him to put it there. He's not a victim of Sather's reward, He's not a victim of his success in Colorado and Buffalo. He was a UFA who sought after his highest payday ever and made sure he cashed in on it. Sather was the sucker who fell for it. They're both at fault.

I really don't get why it has to be one and NOT the other on a contract between two entities. Where do you think that would end up in a court of law? How about how the NHL sees it when there needs to be a breach when we discuss the Redden situation. Who is responsible then?

C'mon, be serious, be logical. Saying it's all Sather's fault and nothing is Drury's doesn't make the least bit of sense at all. It's all emotional, irrational, and has no logical basis what so ever.

This is logical...if Sather doesn't offer him the money he signs somewhere else or he takes the 5 that Sather offers instead of the 7 he asked for. This is pretty simple stuff, do you bargain with the dealer when you buy a car or do you pay the sticker price? A GM is supposed to be an evaluator of talent and a manager of the cap, that off-season like so many others Sather failed at his fiduciary responsibilities during the UFA period.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
So would the "worker" when the worker does not perform to the best of his abilities.
And I'm not defending Drury or that he shouldn't be bought out...just pointing out that Sather continues to make bad UFA signings in the cap era...Drury, Gomez, Redden, Boogard, Brashear.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
eco's bones

Part of the reason for doing this now is to see if there is any interest from other NHL teams out there for taking Drury and his contract. Chris knows that he's not coming back now and may be more likely to waive his NMC if the Rangers can work out a deal to his liking. I'm thinking the actual buying out of the contract may comes towards the buyout deadline.

If I were to guess I'd guess that a trade is not likely to happen but if it did it would probably give us even more cap space.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I think whether or not Wolski is bought out will come down to how much Sather thinks resigning Dubinsky and Callahan is going to cost. If he thinks he can get those two and Richards without eliminating Wolski's salary, I'm sure he'll be kept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
More cap space for Sather. Hide the kids. It is like giving a pyromaniac a book of matches. He just can't help himself.
Hide your wife! Sorry, just couldn't help myself.

RANGERS =
Old
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think whether or not Wolski is bought out will come down to how much Sather thinks resigning Dubinsky and Callahan is going to cost. If he thinks he can get those two and Richards without eliminating Wolski's salary, I'm sure he'll be kept.

Hide your wife! Sorry, just couldn't help myself.
And hide ya husband!,but seriously I love drury and respect the hell outta him, but I hope he gets bought out

Old
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
And I'm not defending Drury or that he shouldn't be bought out...just pointing out that Sather continues to make bad UFA signings in the cap era...Drury, Gomez, Redden, Boogard, Brashear.
Straka, Nylander, Shanahan, Gaborik (to some degree) were good. So it's not as if every signing has turned sour.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Rosie, whether or not you think he was overpaid during his last contract, was a good signing when we first brought him in.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Rosie, whether or not you think he was overpaid during his last contract, was a good signing when we first brought him in.
Yeah, some of his UFA signings were good in the stop-gap sense that the team could remain competitive, even if those signings did not have a good long term prognosis.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Some harsh words in this thread. Nobody was holding a knife to Sather's neck to sign Drury. And I don't think Drury had the intention of physically breaking down 2 years into his contract.

It's not about supporting his family, he probably just wants to play hockey. You don't make the NHL by making hockey your hobby, you make the NHL by making hockey your life.
Agreed.

Playing in the NHL is a HUGE part of his life. I'm sure if there's anything stopping him from retiring its that he loves the game.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

wow. this news just made it to the bottom line on ESPN.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

Yea just saw that

Old
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
beastly115

Glad to hear Wolski is staying. He has a high cap hit but he could still be a viable LW for us on a line with Richards and Gaborik. It also allows us to keep the pack line together.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Glad to hear Wolski is staying. He has a high cap hit but he could still be a viable LW for us on a line with Richards and Gaborik. It also allows us to keep the pack line together.
Doesn't mean he's staying. He's just not getting bought out.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:49 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
wow. this news just made it to the bottom line on ESPN.
What did it say on ESPN?

Just hope the Rangers informed him of their decision before all this came out in the news. Would be pretty crappy if he turns on ESPN with his family to watch something and on the bottomline it says "Rangers Captain Chris Drury's contract to be bought out".

Old
06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

I can't remember the exact line, but I know they didn't say anything was for.sure

Old
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
What did it say on ESPN?

Just hope the Rangers informed him of their decision before all this came out in the news. Would be pretty crappy if he turns on ESPN with his family to watch something and on the bottomline it says "Rangers Captain Chris Drury's contract to be bought out".
Drury should've seen the writing on the wall long before today's rumors.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

It was that he was expected to be bought out I think

Closed Thread