HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

v14: Where the losses are losses and the wins are screwed away from us by the lottery

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2011, 12:24 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
those TSN scouting things are usually pretty iffy.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
On tsn's scouting report about Flynn it says:

"Assets- A natural point guard. Lightning fast and super-quick. Pushes the ball well, making nice moves & plays along the way. An above-average passer who also excels at taking his man off the dribble and to the hoop.

Flaws- Is undersized for the NBA point-guard spot. Needs work on his outside jumper, as well as on limiting his turnovers.

Career potential- Speedy above-average point guard. "

He only averaged 18.5 minutes per game this season, missed some time with a hip injury. (which would really take away from his speed, which is his game) He may not be the most complete player, or the best passer, but he will be better then Jose is now especially to this team as it is.
What? Flynn sucks. Okay fine, he doesn't completely suck but he's not an upgrade over Bayless or Jose. He is a scorer anyways and we don't need that. We need someone who can create plays and pass the ball well. Jose is also much much much better than Flynn but straight up with contract expiring filler to make salaries match, I would do it just to get rid of Jose's contract.

Old
06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
What? Flynn sucks. Okay fine, he doesn't completely suck but he's not an upgrade over Bayless or Jose. He is a scorer anyways and we don't need that. We need someone who can create plays and pass the ball well. Jose is also much much much better than Flynn but straight up with contract expiring filler to make salaries match, I would do it just to get rid of Jose's contract.
Exactly. Jose isn't needed, his contract sucks, and I'd rather try and mold Flynn into a better passer, he's still young.. He's not as bad as everyone makes him seem. He's also playing on one of the worse teams in the league.. Who even hears about the T-Wolves anyways??

Old
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Transplanted Caper

The Star has the coaching search down to Lawrence Frank and Dwayne Casey.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
The Star has the coaching search down to Lawrence Frank and Dwayne Casey.
Please God no.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

I think it'll come down to Dwayne Casey. He seems to have all the makings to be a good coach and he has worked with some top people. Never liked frank when he was in new jersey. Defense is a priority, this team needs to revamp their roster.

As for the draft, Kemba Walker has to be our guy. I've seen him play to know what he tool he has, another unproven european will kill this team.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Wolves/Raptors Trade In The Works?
By: Stephen Litel

Adjust font size:The Minnesota Timberwolves hold the highest draft pick in the team's history, selecting in the number two spot in the upcoming NBA draft. As is the luck of a franchise needing a bit of luck, they just missed out on the opportunity to draft in the number one slot, giving them even more options on draft night. However, with recent reports of Ricky Rubio finally ready to sign on the dotted line and join the team next year—if there is a season—it eases the pain of missing out on the top pick some and also helps aid in the decision making process.

After all the discussions and waiting for Rubio the past two seasons, you can expect he will receive as many of the minutes as he can handle. The Timberwolves have already discussed options to bring in another veteran point guard along with Luke Ridnour to help mentor Rubio during his first season in the league. That is, someone who would understand they would not receive much playing time behind both Rubio and Ridnour. That is one of the many reasons why Jonny Flynn is out there in trade rumors and it is expected he played his last game with the Timberwolves already.

This brings us back to the number two pick in the draft and what the Timberwolves should do with it.

Recent reports state the Timberwolves are in discussion with the Toronto Raptors regarding a deal which would send Jonny Flynn and the number two pick to Toronto for guard DeMar DeRozan and the number five selection. While the Timberwolves should continue their due diligence to see if they are able to get more from their assets than only DeRozan, if this is the best they can do, they should think long and hard about it.

Without question, the Timberwolves have a nice core of talented, young players. To name a few, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Wes Johnson and, apparently, Ricky Rubio. If they were able to add a player of DeRozan's athleticism and promise, it would be difficult to pass on it since he plays a position of need for the team. As a young player, he does have flaws in his game, such as his difficulty in shooting the three, but coming into his third year, he may be ready to completely break out.

Receiving a significant jump in playing time in his second season, DeRozan was able to bring the additional boost in production. He is shaping into a flat-out scorer, despite his limitations shooting the ball. The Timberwolves are coming off a season in which both Kevin Love and Michael Beasley made great strides in their own respective third seasons, so it is more than possible to imagine the same happening for DeRozan in Minnesota knowing his work ethic.

These recent reports also beg the question: what is the plan for the Timberwolves at the center position? Darko Milicic put up respectable numbers last year when properly focused and motivated, but the ability to project his production from game to game is nearly impossible. Nikola Pekovic showed progress throughout his rookie season and gave great effort, but still has a long ways to go in his development. While most teams in the NBA don't have a terribly imposing center dominating the ball, the Timberwolves can get away with adding big bodies to the mix, but do they really think Anthony Randolph can play a majority of his minutes at that position?

Both the shooting guard and center positions are the glaring weaknesses for the Timberwolves, but with the players they already have on the perimeter it may make more sense to address the center position first. Some reports have the Timberwolves trading down in the draft to pick up Enes Kanter to play the position, while also picking up any of a number of unnamed veterans and unknown positions as well.

This is why the DeRozan trade would make sense for the Timberwolves. If the trade goes down as currently discussed, the Timberwolves would be able to address both positions. DeRozan immediately takes over the shooting guard position and Minnesota could take a bit of a flyer on Kanter at the number five selection, adding to their center position. This could give the Timberwolves a hypothetical lineup that would look like this:

PG – Rubio, Ridnour
SG – DeRozan, Ellington, Webster
SF – Beasley, Johnson, Hayward
PF – Love, Tolliver, Pekovic
C – Randolph, Kanter, Milicic

Of course, there are many areas of flux in that rotation depending on how training camp would shake out and which players play their way into a starting spot or getting big minutes off the bench. However, as is well-known, draft days for the Minnesota Timberwolves are anything but ordinary. David Kahn may have something up his sleeve where he believes he is pulling one over on the rest of the league, but by moving on this trade - if it goes down as rumored - he could add more talent to his team. He would solidify roles more than they were last year as well, allowing the players a bit more comfort on the court.

More deals may present themselves before the draft or on draft day, so the Timberwolves should continue to shop around. However, if this is the deal that occurs, it would not be the worst thing for Minnesota as they continue to attempt to rebuild.
I had a few Minnesota fans tell me that the guy who wrote this (Litel) is very legit and only comments if it's close to be done. I hope to God he is wrong.

DeRozan+Kanter > Williams+Flynn

Old
06-09-2011, 02:42 PM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I had a few Minnesota fans tell me that the guy who wrote this (Litel) is very legit and only comments if it's close to be done. I hope to God he is wrong.

Ditto. Thats an ugly one.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:25 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

That's a terrible trade for Toronto, and it's not a given that Kanter is there at #5 for Minnesota even if they were to do the deal.

The difference in talent between DeRozan and Flynn is way, waaaaayyy bigger than the difference between the 2 pick and whoever is there at 5.

Old
06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That's a terrible trade for Toronto, and it's not a given that Kanter is there at #5 for Minnesota even if they were to do the deal.

The difference in talent between DeRozan and Flynn is way, waaaaayyy bigger than the difference between the 2 pick and whoever is there at 5.
I agree. I would love to have D-Will, but losing DeRozan for someone like Flynn isn't something I am interested in.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:

No truth to these rumours.

Quote:
@DraftExpress
Jonathan Givony
Colangelo says there's "no truth at all" to rumor he offered DeMar DeRozan for the #2 pick. "DeMar has never been part of any conversation."

Old
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
No truth to these rumours.
Thank god

Old
06-09-2011, 09:42 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Lol, Dirk is abusing Bosh. Just stuck a ridiculous rainbow 3 right in Bosh's face.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

ESPN writes Maurice Cheeks is a strong 3rd candidate for the Raptors head coaching position.

That means its down to Frank, Casey and Cheeks. I'll take Frank out of those 3.

06-09-2011, 10:56 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 0
Terry comes up huge for the Mavs down the stretch!

Mavs 1 win away from winning the championship.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Heat lose again!!!! yes!!! One more, Mavs. One more.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Do it for Dirk!

Old
06-10-2011, 01:12 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:

If Colangelo trades up it's to get Kyrie, not Kanter.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

There was talk that the Raptors were among a group of teams picking in the 3-10 range of picks that were in Europe to watch a big batch of draft prospects including Jan Vesley, Jonas Valaciunas, and Bismack Biyombo.

ESPN's mock 3.0 also continues to have Vesley @ #5 for Toronto. There are plenty of reports from scouts that feel he's the least bust-susceptible Euro in the draft, but I'll be damned if he doesn't remind me a bit of Joey Graham when people talk about the skill set. It's hard to get a read on him though because most scouting reports online try to force comparisons to white guys whether they fit or not. I've seen Andrei Kirilenko, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Tom Chambers, Bostjan Nachbar, Joe Alexander, and a whole bunch of ill-fitting players (I saw one that said Dirk, seriously.)

Old
06-11-2011, 01:38 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
There was talk that the Raptors were among a group of teams picking in the 3-10 range of picks that were in Europe to watch a big batch of draft prospects including Jan Vesley, Jonas Valaciunas, and Bismack Biyombo.

ESPN's mock 3.0 also continues to have Vesley @ #5 for Toronto. There are plenty of reports from scouts that feel he's the least bust-susceptible Euro in the draft, but I'll be damned if he doesn't remind me a bit of Joey Graham when people talk about the skill set. It's hard to get a read on him though because most scouting reports online try to force comparisons to white guys whether they fit or not. I've seen Andrei Kirilenko, Mike Dunleavy Jr., Tom Chambers, Bostjan Nachbar, Joe Alexander, and a whole bunch of ill-fitting players (I saw one that said Dirk, seriously.)
I'd love for the Raps to grab either Knight or Leonard. I think Leonard is exactly what the Raps have been missing offensively. He's that slasher on the wing, he has long arms and he's getting comparisons to Gerald Wallace. I've read that a few people have said a lot of Vesley's baskets are broken plays and just hustle plays. Leonard is likely more ready to play in the big league, and I think Leonard's ceiling is higher then Vesley's, but Vesley's size is quite intriguing at SF, he is also signed until 2013, so we won't see him unless we buy him out..

Old
06-11-2011, 02:22 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I'd love for the Raps to grab either Knight or Leonard. I think Leonard is exactly what the Raps have been missing offensively. He's that slasher on the wing, he has long arms and he's getting comparisons to Gerald Wallace. I've read that a few people have said a lot of Vesley's baskets are broken plays and just hustle plays. Leonard is likely more ready to play in the big league, and I think Leonard's ceiling is higher then Vesley's, but Vesley's size is quite intriguing at SF, he is also signed until 2013, so we won't see him unless we buy him out..
I've heard the opposite regarding ceilings. That Vesley is such a ridiculous athlete that he has the higher ceiling compared to Leonard. There are supposedly questions about Leonard's overall quickness and athleticism beyond being a good leaper, and that he lacks range in his shooting, which might be a problem considering he's not really that big or that quick.

Oh well. We'll se in a couple of weeks what happens.

In other news:

-Brandon Knight is apparently hurting his draft stock by refusing workouts against competition. Word is that there's an invitation for him to join a batch of other PG prospects including Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette at an open workout for Utah (his supposedly likely destination at #3 overall) but that he's not committed to it. Knight has apparently also manipulated the timing of his workouts so that when he does show up at a gym for drills and one-on-ones, he matches up against a weaker opponent (for example, he miraculously showed up at the ACC just as Kemba Walker was finishing up, even though it was thought that the workouts were supposed to be timed so that the two could go head-to-head)

-There's also this article titled "Raptors Pick: Deal it or Keep it?" but really it should be titled "who to pick at 5 and by the way, Sr. scouting director Jim Kelly really likes Brandon Knight"

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20073

the ticker on The Score had a report that Leandro Barbosa is (according to his brother) exploring the possibility of turning down his $7.6m player option for next year and playing ball in Brazil instead. Seems like lunacy though.

There also appears to be a blog entry from Hoopshype on this:

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sie...urn-an-option/

Old
06-11-2011, 09:38 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
I've heard the opposite regarding ceilings. That Vesley is such a ridiculous athlete that he has the higher ceiling compared to Leonard. There are supposedly questions about Leonard's overall quickness and athleticism beyond being a good leaper, and that he lacks range in his shooting, which might be a problem considering he's not really that big or that quick.

Oh well. We'll se in a couple of weeks what happens.

In other news:

-Brandon Knight is apparently hurting his draft stock by refusing workouts against competition. Word is that there's an invitation for him to join a batch of other PG prospects including Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette at an open workout for Utah (his supposedly likely destination at #3 overall) but that he's not committed to it. Knight has apparently also manipulated the timing of his workouts so that when he does show up at a gym for drills and one-on-ones, he matches up against a weaker opponent (for example, he miraculously showed up at the ACC just as Kemba Walker was finishing up, even though it was thought that the workouts were supposed to be timed so that the two could go head-to-head)

-There's also this article titled "Raptors Pick: Deal it or Keep it?" but really it should be titled "who to pick at 5 and by the way, Sr. scouting director Jim Kelly really likes Brandon Knight"

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20073

the ticker on The Score had a report that Leandro Barbosa is (according to his brother) exploring the possibility of turning down his $7.6m player option for next year and playing ball in Brazil instead. Seems like lunacy though.

There also appears to be a blog entry from Hoopshype on this:

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/sie...urn-an-option/
Hopefully Knight continues to get his draft stock to drop this way.. The Raps are really hoping that he drops to them, and maybe that's what he's trying to do?

Old
06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

- In other news, Biyombo's workout was apparently 'shakey' as teams are making him shoot a lot.

Like he's being described as a guy with a body of a greek god, but his basketball skills are really lacking. (especially his shot)

- Brandon Knight working out for the Kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3-0AvfiQk

06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
- In other news, Biyombo's workout was apparently 'shakey' as teams are making him shoot a lot.

Like he's being described as a guy with a body of a greek god, but his basketball skills are really lacking. (especially his shot)

- Brandon Knight working out for the Kings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo3-0AvfiQk
Not surprising with Biyombo. His big knock is that with all his athleticism and physical tools, the one thing he lacks is actual basketball skills. And, y'know, those things are pretty important. Also his standard issue NBA comparison is Ben Wallace. Which also means zero offence.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
TasteLikeBurning
The Tank Cometh

Quote:
Not surprising with Biyombo. His big knock is that with all his athleticism and physical tools, the one thing he lacks is actual basketball skills. And, y'know, those things are pretty important. Also his standard issue NBA comparison is Ben Wallace. Which also means zero offence.

We already have one of those on the team already. No need for another.

Closed Thread