HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Future of Hockey in the Southeast

Old
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I'm planning on writing a story about this as I see the numbers of kids playing hockey in the South thrown around when it comes to relocation, but the purpose of having an NHL team is to make money for the owners and the league, not to get kids to play hockey. It's harsh, but true. I need to contact Hockey Canada to get the figures, but I'm going to guess there's a lot more than a few thousand hockey players in Winnipeg, let alone Manitoba.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:34 AM
goalie29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
the purpose of having an NHL team is to make money for the owners and the league, not to get kids to play hockey. It's harsh, but true.
I agree, except I don't think it's particularlily harsh, just true.

The NHL is huge in Canada because hockey is huge. All kinds of hockey - from tots to pensioner beer leagues, from beginner rec to elite teams.

It's not big because the NHL exists, it's the other way around.

I was a 12-year old Winnipegger when the Jets first joined the NHL, and there was no increase interest in hockey amongst my friends - we were already hockey nuts. We went to the Jets games just like we'd gone to the WHA Jets games, to Major Junior games, to our siblings and friends games, and to our own games.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
thedonger

Quote:
I'm planning on writing a story about this as I see the numbers of kids playing hockey in the South thrown around when it comes to relocation, but the purpose of having an NHL team is to make money for the owners and the league, not to get kids to play hockey. It's harsh, but true. I need to contact Hockey Canada to get the figures, but I'm going to guess there's a lot more than a few thousand hockey players in Winnipeg, let alone Manitoba.
i don't disagree with the fact that the end goal is for the nhl and owners to make money. but you're not looking at the big picture. the idea behind growing the sport into non-traditional areas is to cultivate more fans as a whole. like i stated before, dallas is the best example of these efforts, but the success in that area had much to do with their long stretch of successful years along with a cup win. don't have the numbers on me, but iirc, hockey is becoming a fast rising participation sport in texas which, in turn, is breeding more fans which ultimately = more money...again, by growing the sport at a grassroots level. the nfl has been trying to do the same thing on an international level using different methods. although it's a much tougher sell as football(american) is an american sport, the "grassroots" idea remains the same.

if you continue to exclusively market to traditional hockey areas, there won't be much growth in profit over the long term as people in those areas are likely already fans of the game/a team. that would lead to the nhl continuing to be a 2nd tier "niche" league, which = less profit...again thinking long term.

the issue i had with adam was that the best he could come up with is "southerners are slackjawed yokels" and "hockey belongs in the north". that's really adding nothing to the conversation. almost as inane as southerners saying "northerners shouldn't swim because the water's cold".
i used to think sort of the same way as far as wanting the nhl to stay in colder climate areas, but the more i thought of it, the more i thought more fans(in numbers and diversity) is a good thing.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:57 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Studies have shown if your looking to make money owning a sports franchise is not the way to do it. Only a handful of teams in the NHL make any substantial amount of money.

Owners DO care about the number of kids playing hockey at the grassroots level because that indicates level of interest and in the future those are going to be the people buying tickets to your games.

Nobody was trying to compare Southern hockey numbers to cities in Canada or traditional states or cities in the North US. The point is to show the people who think people in the US and specifically Southern States don't care about playing hockey. WRONG! The numbers prove otherwise. Hockey at the grassroots level has grown substantially over the last decade in the South.

Number of rinks is an issue in a lot of these places. I know Nashville needs one or two new arenas terribly. It's driving away new players interested in the game because all the leagues are full and there is no spare ice time. Obviously though privately opening and mantaining a rink in the South is much more expensive than places where the the weather is more mild year round. I can vouch personally that in the Nashville area in the past 5 years at least 3 different groups have seriously tried to plan and start on 3 different arenas. All backed out though because the financials didn't work.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:02 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Studies have shown if your looking to make money owning a sports franchise is not the way to do it. Only a handful of teams in the NHL make any substantial amount of money.

Owners DO care about the number of kids playing hockey at the grassroots level because that indicates level of interest and in the future those are going to be the people buying tickets to your games.

Nobody was trying to compare Southern hockey numbers to cities in Canada or traditional states or cities in the North US. The point is to show the people who think people in the US and specifically Southern States don't care about playing hockey. WRONG! The numbers prove otherwise. Hockey at the grassroots level has grown substantially over the last decade in the South.

Number of rinks is an issue in a lot of these places. I know Nashville needs one or two new arenas terribly. It's driving away new players interested in the game because all the leagues are full and there is no spare ice time. Obviously though privately opening and mantaining a rink in the South is much more expensive than places where the the weather is more mild year round. I can vouch personally that in the Nashville area in the past 5 years at least 3 different groups have seriously tried to plan and start on 3 different arenas. All backed out though because the financials didn't work.
Are you able to elaborate on who were the 3 different groups and their plans? Anything in the works? Jeff Cogen from the Dallas Stars who has now joined the Preds had previously mentioned he would like to see more rinks in Nashville alike what had happenend in Dallas with the Dr Pepper Centers. Hopefully if it comes to fruition they will be more than just a bunch of cash cows.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Vuronov

Having grown up in Memphis and lived at times in Nashville and Knoxville. I can say that hockey is, if nothing else, resilient in Tennessee. Growing up, Memphis had only an undersized Mall rink that somehow still managed to support a dedicated youth hockey program and adult league. Small, of course, in comparison to major hockey towns but consistent. Then we got a minor league hockey team in the CHL and that helped boost hockey activity as well as provide a secondary ice surface (youth and adult leagues were able to additionally use the arena for games when the pro team wasn't using it, though only during the season). The youth program grew enough that a local High School league was started on top of the regular youth programs.

Unfortunately, the mall went into decline and eventually shut down in 2003 and was razed. This left the Memphis hockey community without any regular ice. Ice skaters of any type were left with dryland practice until the CHL team's season started and ice time at the arena became available. This of course made it difficult for players to advance their skills and even harder to attract any new blood. Despite this youth hockey, high school hockey, and adult league hockey still are active in Memphis to this day.

Fortunately, a new ice rink is finally being built right across the state line in Mississippi, that will provide the Memphis Metro area with regular ice again. It should give the Memphis youth programs, adult league, and Ole Miss and Univ of Memphis College Club teams a regular place to play once again.

Point of all this is, even though Memphis is not a Northern hockey hotbed, dedicated fans and players have kept it alive even without regular ice and if given a chance: regular ice and resources, it will grow. I think same could happen in any southern town. Give the grassroots a chance and it can grow!

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It seems money would be better spent building rinks and providing equipment for kids than putting NHL franchises in those markets.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:29 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I don't think that the NHL belongs anyplace where you can't skate outside on a lake for some part of the year.
Visionary business sense. Why bother growing your potential consumer base when you can consolidate it to a much smaller geographical area that already loves the game.

Perhaps they can just relocate teams to cities that have Canadian major junior teams. Call it the CHL Senior Circuit. Goldmine!

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:56 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Visionary business sense. Why bother growing your potential consumer base when you can consolidate it to a much smaller geographical area that already loves the game.

Perhaps they can just relocate teams to cities that have Canadian major junior teams. Call it the CHL Senior Circuit. Goldmine!

You have to know your limitations even in business. I'll bet you would buy a snowball factory in the yukon based on your vast business acumen and philosophy.
Grassroots starts with being able to play, watch, benefit, and enjoy. Many years ago I learned to skate on a pond in up-state NY. My son started his skating career on a pond in Southern ON. We both had friends who skate if not all our friends skate. there is a cost curve to business development that determines profit / loss margins. The cost of building and maintaining a rink combined with the amount of interest that already may be in the area will dictate the viability for growth of a market. As well you have to factor in businesses that would provide equipment in the case of the hockey market. Will the local sporting goods store (LSS) be able to make a profit while maintaining a stock of many different size and level of quality equipment? I could go on and on but I'm hoping you get the gist of this by now.

As for your snarky remark "Perhaps they can just relocate teams to cities that have Canadian major junior teams. Call it the CHL Senior Circuit."
If they did I'll bet that the league would sell more tickets than the Atlanta market ever did and for more money per seat. As a mater of fact I know guys who pays between 4 and 7 grand a season per player to play in a full checking senior travel league http://majorleaguehockey.pointstreak...ckey/allan-cup As well some of the games during the Allan Cup final are broadcasted on TV up here. I'm sure that this league is profitable and that alone makes the market better than any of the southern markets at any given time. As well it makes for a market to grow profitability and reach for the NHL as opposed to what has happened in the southern markets.

A little thing called market demographics could have limited the disaster that is called the" NHL Southern market". It was worth a try I guess but it's time to stick a fork in it and turn it over it's done.

GO Boston GO!!

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

There is so much ignorance in this thread it makes my head hurt.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Law

Quote:
You have to know your limitations even in business. I'll bet you would buy a snowball factory in the yukon based on your vast business acumen and philosophy.
You need to work on that one a little. Don't think you were going for the 'selling something that there is plenty of' analogy.

If hockey had also failed in Dallas, Tampa, Nashville, Carolina, Tampa, LA, Anaheim, perhaps I could lend more credence to this line of thinking. As most of those markets are working, perhaps there is another reason, such as a degree of success (Dal, Tam, Nas, Car, LA, Ana) and grassroots initiatives (Dal!).

Quote:
Grassroots starts with being able to play, watch, benefit, and enjoy.
None of which require a pond I might add.

Quote:
Many years ago I learned to skate on a pond in up-state NY. My son started his skating career on a pond in Southern ON. We both had friends who skate if not all our friends skate. there is a cost curve to business development that determines profit / loss margins. The cost of building and maintaining a rink combined with the amount of interest that already may be in the area will dictate the viability for growth of a market. As well you have to factor in businesses that would provide equipment in the case of the hockey market. Will the local sporting goods store (LSS) be able to make a profit while maintaining a stock of many different size and level of quality equipment? I could go on and on but I'm hoping you get the gist of this by now.
Nice story. I personally started my love affair with the sport up in NY with the Islanders in the 80's. Then a relative bought me a pair of roller skates and a stick and my parent's garage door was never the same. It eventually moved to a local rink, in-house, travel, junior, college and now, 26 years after that first pair of roller skates, my love affair continues with the sport with a bunch of buddies in a local beer league (in Miami of all places!). I've even spent time coaching the little hicks and hayseeds down here.

The recent draft picks from CA and FLA might have different stories, but I'm sure they love the game just the same -- and they were somehow able to scrounge up equipment too!

Quote:
As for your snarky remark "Perhaps they can just relocate teams to cities that have Canadian major junior teams. Call it the CHL Senior Circuit."
If they did I'll bet that the league would sell more tickets than the Atlanta market ever did and for more money per seat.
Odd that no one has tried to do it yet, what with so much money to made.

Memories must also be short around here, about 10 years ago, the Canadiens of all teams were losing money and the threat existed that they were going to relocated to the US. Things can be cyclical and overall market viability should be looked at as a long term thing.

Quote:
As a mater of fact I know guys who pays between 4 and 7 grand a season per player to play in a full checking senior travel league http://majorleaguehockey.pointstreak...ckey/allan-cup As well some of the games during the Allan Cup final are broadcasted on TV up here. I'm sure that this league is profitable and that alone makes the market better than any of the southern markets at any given time. As well it makes for a market to grow profitability and reach for the NHL as opposed to what has happened in the southern markets.

A little thing called market demographics could have limited the disaster that is called the" NHL Southern market". It was worth a try I guess but it's time to stick a fork in it and turn it over it's done.
Disaster? A worthless group of owners destroy a large, viable market and you label the entire thing a disaster?

What is with the irrational Canadian fear that someone in warm weather market might actually learn to love this great game?!

Old
06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
Are you able to elaborate on who were the 3 different groups and their plans? Anything in the works? Jeff Cogen from the Dallas Stars who has now joined the Preds had previously mentioned he would like to see more rinks in Nashville alike what had happenend in Dallas with the Dr Pepper Centers. Hopefully if it comes to fruition they will be more than just a bunch of cash cows.

As far as if anything is in the works in the Nashville area at the moment, I'm not sure. I do know when local ownership bought the team a few years ago there was mumbling that they might follow the Dallas blueprint. If I remember right that involved Dallas ownership helping with the costs of building several rinks around the Dallas area. Obviously that hasn't happened here. I'm not sure what the long term plan is but more ice is needed desperately.

Quote:
It seems money would be better spent building rinks and providing equipment for kids than putting NHL franchises in those markets.
Having an NHL team here fuels the grassroot hockey as it does in pretty much any NHL market. I'd even bet in the next 5 years the Winnipeg area will experience solid growth. The problem is maintaining an ice rink here can be such an expensive proposition. Even if owners fill their schedule they can still lose money.

So it either takes a rich person who is willing to lose money which is not likely or doing something like A Game Sportsplex here has done. A Game Sportsplex used to be called Southern Ice and was strictly an ice complex with two sheets and a Pro shop. It was hemorrhaging money until it was bought out and the new owners added basketball courts and also used those courts for Volleyball. As far as I know that place is doing well now.

Quote:

If they did I'll bet that the league would sell more tickets than the Atlanta market ever did and for more money per seat. As a mater of fact I know guys who pays between 4 and 7 grand a season per player to play in a full checking senior travel league http://majorleaguehockey.pointstreak...ckey/allan-cup As well some of the games during the Allan Cup final are broadcasted on TV up here. I'm sure that this league is profitable and that alone makes the market better than any of the southern markets at any given time. As well it makes for a market to grow profitability and reach for the NHL as opposed to what has happened in the southern markets.

Did you really just write the bolded sentence?

You obviously are very set in your views I'm not going to try to change them but every post you make you just look more and more ignorant. You should probably just stop while your already behind.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Well, not one person that has been calling me ignorant, short sited or what ever name is actually from the southern markets I'm talking aboot eh. how many transplants in any given current southern market will it take to support a NHL team. As well do any of you business moguls have season tickets for the teams / markets you are defending? I'm guessing not because it's cheeper to pay 16 bucks for a nose bleed seat that include a jersey and a hot dog and then move to any of the empty lower bowl seats eh. Nice way to prove me ignorant. I'm under 50 and retired but I guess that just makes my brain mush.

Maybe you ought to quit posting while your ,,,

Old
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Law

Quote:
Well, not one person that has been calling me ignorant, short sited or what ever name is actually from the southern markets I'm talking aboot eh. how many transplants in any given current southern market will it take to support a NHL team. As well do any of you business moguls have season tickets for the teams / markets you are defending? I'm guessing not because it's cheeper to pay 16 bucks for a nose bleed seat that include a jersey and a hot dog and then move to any of the empty lower bowl seats eh. Nice way to prove me ignorant. I'm under 50 and retired but I guess that just makes my brain mush.

No argument that people bring their teams with them, but give a place some success and the next generation will be fans for life.

Seriously, my biggest problem with your point of view is that it implies this great game isn't marketable. That people don't fall in love the first time they see it in person. That getting kids on the ice won't make them fans for life. That's cool, keep the protectionist point of view, confine the game to the 'cold areas'. Like you said, not like it's worked in DAL, TAM, NAS, LA, ANH, etc.

Hey, if we're lucky, maybe in a few years, we can be the 12th most popular sport in North America! Look out Texas Hold 'Em!

Old
06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
predfan24

Quote:

All Canadians are hockey elitist that believe the game belongs to nobody else but them.

Sweeping generalizations are fun huh?

I have had season tickets for years and my family has owned them since the Predators inception. Your personal life has nothing to do with this conversation.

Like I said your opinion is your own and I respect that but don't expect to come onto a NHL forum that has a melting pot of hockey fans from all over NA and the World and not expect to be called out when you spout your ignorant and over exaggerated opinions like they are facts especially when you don't even live in the markets you are bashing. You've proved well enough you are certainly no expert in this subject.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:08 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
! and FYI the 13,000 season ticket sold in 10 min of being offered.
ummm....yeah, no they didn't. the Moose STH renewed their tickets first then the REST of the deposits for season tickets were sold. Moose STH had 3 days to claim their 7100 tickets. there's a BIG difference between selling 13K season tickets in 17 minutes and selling 5900 in that same time frame.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
ATLANTA: 4 major rinks, 4-5 teams per age level
actually Atlanta opened a new rink last August: http://www.theice.info/Live/default.html

that gives us 5 rinks.
the new rink is a beautiful facility with a compressor capable of running 3 ice sheets so hopefully they'll be able to expand in the future.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Nice way to prove me ignorant.
No one has to do that, you've got a jump on them.....

Quote:
I'm under 50 and retired but I guess that just makes my brain mush.
It appears that way.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:15 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:

I am 29 years old.

I was born in and raised in Charlotte, NC. I currently live in the suburbs of Raleigh, NC. Until age 14 I could barely skate. I never played a game of ice hockey until age 28.

I did, however, play street hockey in school. We played hockey in gym class. I played NHL 95, and all subsequent editions. My family -- none of whom are from the north -- had minor-league season tickets for several years. I was an NHL fan before the Hurricanes came here and took a decade to really accept them as "my" team.

I currently have 3 children. My 2-year-old can skate. Our favorite pastime is to play hockey on the living room floor... he wears his skates on the carpet. Last night, my oldest insisted on keeping the TV on in his room for the third period when he went to bed... and came down an hour later, having not fallen asleep yet, because he was excited at the Thomas/Burrows fight.

I am an NHL season ticket holder.

Do I count as "a hockey fan from a southern market" in your book?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:22 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

No mater what I say the prof of the market support is the lack of attendance and the fact that the teams have started the move north. Next stop Hamilton ON via Phenix.

At this point I'm just return trolling, Balls in your net eh. LOL

tarheelhockey: You are the exception and I truly feel bad for you, your kids, your market. But one family, or a few thousand families like yours can't float a salary cap. The canes seem safe for now if that is any consolation.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
EmptyNetter

It's a shame that Atlanta has now lost two NHL teams (Flames and Thrashers). With the Thrashers' move to Winnipeg it seems that the region has lost a major sponsor to youth hockey.

Atlanta, like Phoenix, is a tough place to build a fan base. The biggest problem, aside from the heat and the expense of keeping a rink frozen, is that both cities host several pro franchises so there's serious competition for corporate support. I have no idea what Atlanta's attendance records are but I've heard time and again that luxury boxes are essential to provide enough revenues to fund an NHL team. You've got the Hawks, Braves, Falcons and Thrashers all competing for a share of the pie. You've got a recession, so the pie is smaller than usual. You've got the Thrashers with a poor competitive record -- only four playoff games to their credit since the team's inception. I don't think it's the fans' fault and it's not that hockey can't succeed in the hot weather. But I think it's a difficult place to host a hockey team and Don Waddell was NOT the guy to run a successful NHL team.

So corporations help to fund an NHL team and the NHL team helps to fund youth hockey in the area. Maybe there's a way for Atlanta youth hockey to get corporate sponsorship (since the middle man went to Winnipeg)?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
No mater what I say the prof of the market support is the lack of attendance and the fact that the teams have started the move north. Next stop Hamilton ON via Phenix.

tarheelhockey: You are the exception and I truly feel bad for you, your kids, your market. But one family, or a few thousand families like yours can't float a salary cap. The canes seem safe for now if that is any consolation.
So, what's the explanation for Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford losing their teams, or are they considered "southern teams" also?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Law

Quote:

Once the honeymoon is over in Winnipeg and the US dollar recovers, we'll find out if 750k can float a salary cap team. Found it in '96 that they couldn't with a non-cap team, maybe this time will be different.

If not, Quebec's new arena should be open for business by then.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:01 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
So, what's the explanation for Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford losing their teams, or are they considered "southern teams" also?
Greed, and the grass is always greener, hartford was the smallest market in the NHL, but it could have been the cooperals.

The flyers managed to live through the cooperals though

Old
06-10-2011, 11:08 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Once the honeymoon is over in Winnipeg and the US dollar recovers, we'll find out if 750k can float a salary cap team. Found it in '96 that they couldn't with a non-cap team, maybe this time will be different.

If not, Quebec's new arena should be open for business by then.

We shall see. one of the best things that happened with the Atlanta move is that Newfoundland now has a pro hockey team. The moose move is going to be great in Nfl. even in that tiny market. They have more players from the maritimes in the N, A, EC, HL, and Europe than the whole of the southern US.

I just have to add "Give your ed a shake eh"