HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Pyke's Mock Draft.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2011, 11:35 PM
  #26
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafyDuck View Post
22cd overall for the 25th and a 3rd round pick? Is there a puking smiley? We have two third rounders already. Ducks say no. And they don't pick Jurco @ 22 either. They pick Puempel and Jurco will more than likely be there @ 25. The trade makes no sense. Ducks don't pick Brodin with such a defensively sound 2012 draft coming up. They don't pick Klefbom, Mayfield, Russo...the only dmen they'd pick are Oleksiak, Murphy, Beaulieau, Siemens. Ducks team needs in the draft are C>G>W>D. Our defensive crop is looking fine, and our top 6 in the NHL is gonna be pretty constant for the next few years. We're gonna be looking for the most dynamic scorer available. So, with your draft I'd say they take either Sheifele or Puempel as there's no way they're gonna go for a third rounder to drop down.
The Ducks have a pretty good set of young players in their organization. Looking at their roster and prospects, I thought that a defenseman made more sense than a scorer. I realize they have Fowler who they lucked into, but I've never been sold on Vatanen and really, most of their young prospects are forwards (outside Fowler, of course). You look at Holland, Etem and Palmieri - and you see a lot of potential help up front. There's not as much depth on the blue line. Picks 22-24 in my mock draft are forwards. If I'm right that the Ducks plan to draft a d-man, then I don't think moving down is unreasonable.

I agree, it's "only" a third round pick, but that's still another player that you can add to the roster; and in a draft as open as this one, I'm not sure teams will pay big amounts to move up inside the 15-45 zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummerr View Post
I would like you to go into it. As of right now, you're just complaining, but not offering alternatives. I don't necessarily agree with the OP's mock draft, but at least he's defending his picks in a calm, rational manner. On the other hand, you're just derailing the thread instead of offering constructive criticism.
Thanks. Ultimately, I make no claim that my draft is accurate - and in fact, beyond the top 10ish, I admit things become a lot more fluid and unpredictable. I know this. That said, it's fun to open it to discussion, and that's why I posted it. It's kind of pointless when people just reply with "This is bad" and don't bother to offer their thoughts on why. Not sure what the benefit of that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
I don't see the problem with his mock.

The real NHL draft is always different and crazier than "good" mock drafts.
. I think the draft this year will surprise a lot of people. There's just so much depth of players who could be NHLers but have potential downsides too - I suspect most teams lists are wide open beyond maybe Tiers of players. There's a few notable risers/fallers in my draft (Mika Z, Jamie Oleksiak and Ryan Murphy all are outside of their ISS ranks by a fair margin), but I think their positions are defensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
There is literally no way Edmonton will draft Ryan Murphy.
On what level? In that, he wouldn't be available at 16? Or that they wouldn't trade up to acquire him? I think the Oilers need defensive help. I think if he's on the board at that point, they might make a move merely because he might be BPA. I don't think he'd be a fit for the Sabres, though.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
  #27
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Meh who knows how the real draft will play out

Hard to anticipate trades during the draft though. I definitely don't include that in mine
Fair enough. It's just for fun at the end of the day anyway, though.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:44 PM
  #28
Ice Crusher
Registered User
 
Ice Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I can't believe you're even taking time to defend this.

You don't want me of someone else to go into why it's awful.
I would like to see you do one. Maybe you could use www.mynhldraft.com. Not saying I'm with the OP here. Very easy to complain...but when your only referring to draft sites and rankings it's not really good facts, anything could happen off the board...you never know!

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:45 PM
  #29
DuckJet
Destiny pls
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,781
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
You're acting like 3 spots is a big deal, it's not. If the Ducks could get their guy(s) at 25 then they do that deal.
Well much of my post was annoyance that everyone has us picking Brodin. We need a goalie in our system more than a defensemen. We need wingers to make up for the failure of Sexton and Beleskey more than a defenseman. And we need centers to make up for the fact that we have one potentially viable NHL centerman in our system.

Still I'd ask for a second round pick.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:49 PM
  #30
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafyDuck View Post
Well much of my post was annoyance that everyone has us picking Brodin. We need a goalie in our system more than a defensemen. We need wingers to make up for the failure of Sexton and Beleskey more than a defenseman. And we need centers to make up for the fact that we have one potentially viable NHL centerman in our system.

Still I'd ask for a second round pick.
To be honest - I didn't select Brodin for the Ducks on the basis of any other draft... I was not aware that was even a common selection for the Ducks. I do think it makes a lot of sense. He's in the range of players that might be available when the Ducks pick, and the reality is that there are more forwards in the system than defenders. I agree with you about goaltending - but goalies are always gambles and I've not seen any high end goalies in this draft. I'm sure there's a couple decent ones, but it's hard to know who the right guy is.

As to the price - I just don't think in a draft as open as this one - you will see a 2nd round pick moved to move up 3 spots in the mid 20s.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:52 PM
  #31
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,152
vCash: 50
I think Avs will pick Landeskog at #2. Ottawa will not get the chance to trade up and get him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:54 PM
  #32
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Avs will pick Landeskog at #2. Ottawa will not get the chance to trade up and get him.
Doesn't make me any happier - I don't want Colorado to draft him either.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
  #33
avsman
Registered User
 
avsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Doesn't make me any happier - I don't want Colorado to draft him either.
just curious as to why you dont like Lando? he is my favorite prospect in this draft, he does it all.

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:42 AM
  #34
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCrusher21 View Post
I would like to see you do one. Maybe you could use www.mynhldraft.com. Not saying I'm with the OP here. Very easy to complain...but when your only referring to draft sites and rankings it's not really good facts, anything could happen off the board...you never know!
I don't have to time to do one now but I've done several in the past.

I have a bit of time now to explain.

Top 7 isn't bad, it's fairly routine, after that it gets brutal.

Columbus is not taking another center, Johansens their man they're not giving up on him, especially with Ryan Murphy still on the board.

People say Oleksiak has limited offensive upside for a defensemen, Boston has no need for that and it's pretty hard to argue he's BPA for the pick.

Minnesota needs offense, not more defense, no logic at all taking Siemens.

Colorado Bartschi makes sense, same with Armia and Carolina because of Rutherfords tendeancies.

Then it gets brutal again, why the **** does Calgary take Beaulieu, or any defensemen for that matter? Beaulieu is boom or bust since he's still quite raw. Murphy is a lot safer than him. Not even mentioning the fact they should take someone like McNeil or Schiefele, not a raw late birthday offensive defensemen.

Dallas pick makes zero sense, I'll just leave that there, Dallas will not make the same mistake with Fowler this year by letting Murphy slide, he's the opitime of a player they want.

Rangers probably won't take Saad, but it's not awful.

Murphy would fit Edmonton but theres zero chance he drops that far, I'll get to that after though.

Reinforcing the sterotype Montreal likes short players? Highly unlikely they take Grimaldi, McNeil or Jensen liklier.

Chicago could take anyone, this ones fine.

No way Buffalo takes a defensemen when 2 centers like McNeil or Schiefele are still on the board, those are closer to BPA as well. They need center prospects so all the more reason.

Phoenix's is fine.

Ottawas would be fine except I highly doubt it McNeil lasts to them.

Burke would never take a player like Jurco, especially when Puempel, Schiefele, Phillips and Rattie are still on the board.

Puempel would fit the Penguins fine.

Red Wings are patient and good developers, but Rask there is too early, a good U18 doesn't make up for this year.

Anahiem should probably go for forwards but Brodin isn't bad.

Schiefele to Washington would be fine except I highly doubt he drops that far the way he's been rising.

Why does Tampa take a defensive defensemen with limited offensive upside? They'd defenitely go offensive defensemen if they take one. Musil has a good chance of missing the first round anyway.

San Jose should take a defensemen, but Ratties not a bad pick

Philllips to Toronto is fine.

Morrow to Vancouver is fine but I doubt he'll be there.

The biggest issue is Pyke ignores team needs, but also ignores BPA. Teams ignore their needs if they want BPA, and sometimes ignore BPA if they need someone, but they don't ignore both of them. The awful logic with Minnesota, Calgary, Dallas, Buffalo ect is what makes this terrible. Drafts are surprising, but you always see the logic behind the picks after even if they maybe weren't right. There are no logic behind a lot of these picks, it's all over the place.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
  #35
grits207
Registered User
 
grits207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saint John, N.B.
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
I would be beyond shocked if Brian Burke traded up for a soft European. Hell, I would be quite surprised if he drafted a European at all in the first two rounds.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:12 AM
  #36
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,536
vCash: 50
Burke and co. won't trade up to pick Jurco...They can probably pick him up with their 29th pick if they want

Especially if Puempel and Rattie (Leafs are apparently high on them), and Scheifele are still on the board.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
  #37
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafyDuck View Post
Well much of my post was annoyance that everyone has us picking Brodin. We need a goalie in our system more than a defensemen. We need wingers to make up for the failure of Sexton and Beleskey more than a defenseman. And we need centers to make up for the fact that we have one potentially viable NHL centerman in our system.

Still I'd ask for a second round pick.
IN mine I have them picking Boone Jenner, but if they feel Brodin is BPA then take him...you don't draft for need that late in the first round.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
  #38
Engebretson
Another GopherClone
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
There is literally no way Edmonton will draft Ryan Murphy.
While many people said the same thing about Gormley and Fowler last year, I agree, and I would be very shocked to see Ryan Murphy fall out of the Top 12.

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
  #39
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I don't have to time to do one now but I've done several in the past.

I have a bit of time now to explain.
This should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Top 7 isn't bad, it's fairly routine, after that it gets brutal.
Oh. Right, opinion's can be "brutal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Columbus is not taking another center, Johansens their man they're not giving up on him, especially with Ryan Murphy still on the board.
Columbus has *1* center of note in their system. Johansen. That's it. You're welcome to think that they're "not giving up on him", but that doesn't mean they will draft a defender who's likely top end potential is 5-6 over a potential top 6 center in Ryan Strome. Not only do I think you're wrong on team needs on this one (Columbus has needed a #1C forever to play with Rick Nash), but you're also wrong on BPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
People say Oleksiak has limited offensive upside for a defensemen, Boston has no need for that and it's pretty hard to argue he's BPA for the pick.
At 18, Chara had limited upside too. I agree with you that Oleksiak's offensive game may never come around, but he's a great fit for them, and he has elite size/skating. Just because he does not have an offensive game does not make him a bad pick at #9 - a comparable would be Jared Cowen to Ottawa in 2009 at that position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Minnesota needs offense, not more defense, no logic at all taking Siemens.
While I agree Minnesota does need an infusion of offense, their top 4 defensive prospects were drafted in 2008 or earlier. They have a significant need to upgrade their depth at this position, and Siemens may well be the BPA at #10. Minnesota is a team that historically has played a defensive style of game, something that favours Siemens.

Could they go with someone like Bartschi? Sure. However, it's yet another skilled winger - something that Minnesota always has an abundance of (and, in their system, is well represented on the left side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Colorado Bartschi makes sense, same with Armia and Carolina because of Rutherfords tendeancies.
Colorado will draft defenseman/forward or forward/defenseman. Given I have them picking Larsson at 2, Bartschi is sensible as the best offensive player available at 11. Glad you agree.

Regarding Armia - he's got intriguing upside, makes sense for Carolina, and fulfills a team need for right wingers - something that they desperately need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Then it gets brutal again, why the **** does Calgary take Beaulieu, or any defensemen for that matter? Beaulieu is boom or bust since he's still quite raw. Murphy is a lot safer than him. Not even mentioning the fact they should take someone like McNeil or Schiefele, not a raw late birthday offensive defensemen.
Have you looked at Calgary's prospect system? The only defensemen are T.J. Brodie and Matt Pelech. They desperately need some depth there, and Beaulieu is 6'3/191 lbs with a solid game and respectable numbers. December 1992 is not that late compared to many in his draft class.

As to Murphy, again, I feel he has huge bust potential as an offensive d-man who is small and undersized. He has elite skill - but so does Ryan Ellis.

As to forwards, while I'm inclined to agree they need forwards too - I didn't think any of the forwards available at 14 justified the pick over Beaulieu who has risen a lot during the Sea Dogs playoff run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Dallas pick makes zero sense, I'll just leave that there, Dallas will not make the same mistake with Fowler this year by letting Murphy slide, he's the opitime of a player they want.
J.T. Miller has spent the last few years with the USNTD and has shown he has a great 2 way game, is physical, and has flashes of high end skill. The Stars are extremely deep on the right side - which is why having a left shooter in Miller who can play C or LW makes a lot of sense.

If reaches his potential - a 2nd line shut down center, perhaps not as offensively skilled as Ryan Kesler but in that mold, I think Dallas would be extremely happy with the pick at #14.

As to Fowler and Murphy, Fowler was expected to go top 3 and fell to 12. Murphy is expected to go somewhere in the top 10 but most people believe he is the most likely to fall - I don't think Dallas would take him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Rangers probably won't take Saad, but it's not awful.
I love when you make opinion statements (e.g.: "probably won't") but provide no context for the reason you believe this to be true. I think we can agree the Rangers deep young defense core means that's not a need - Saad is an intriguing forward prospect for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Murphy would fit Edmonton but theres zero chance he drops that far, I'll get to that after though.
Edmonton will pick a defenseman here. You may not think Murphy will draft this far, but it's both from their perspective the BPA and a defenseman to go along with RNH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Reinforcing the sterotype Montreal likes short players? Highly unlikely they take Grimaldi, McNeil or Jensen liklier.
While it's true you could make an argument for McNeill or Jensen, this is hardly a fair criticism of the pick. Montreal has shown a tendency to draft American players - and shorter players. Rocco's fitness testing was extremely good. There's no reason to believe Montreal couldn't take him at 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Chicago could take anyone, this ones fine.
Oscar Klefbom is one of the more intriguing players - he's rated as high as near the top 10 and also near the bottom of the first round. I felt it was a good pick for the Hawks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
No way Buffalo takes a defensemen when 2 centers like McNeil or Schiefele are still on the board, those are closer to BPA as well. They need center prospects so all the more reason.
I agree the Sabres could pick McNeill. In which case, I think Ottawa takes Zach Phillips at 21.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Phoenix's is fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Ottawas would be fine except I highly doubt it McNeil lasts to them.
I think he does - but even if he doesn't, there's a whole bunch of players around this (e.g.: Zach Phillips) that are probably comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Burke would never take a player like Jurco, especially when Puempel, Schiefele, Phillips and Rattie are still on the board.
Rattie is rated at the bottom of the first round in many cases - and while I agree Puempel and Schiefele are good prospects, I think Jurco makes a lot of sense for the Leafs. He's a player with superb skill and potential game breaking ability - it's not certain he ever reaches his potential, but I think Burke would have no problem on taking a flyer on this kind of kid. He could go higher in the draft - depending on if a team wanted to take a chance on him or not. The Leafs need top end scoring - I think he's the best of the bunch for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Puempel would fit the Penguins fine.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Red Wings are patient and good developers, but Rask there is too early, a good U18 doesn't make up for this year.
Rask has the frame, the size, and the skill to be a potential steal late in the round. At 24, you're not getting a player you expect to contribute immediately - in my view, the Wings would be willing to take a chance with Rask because he has the framework to be a great player. Zetterberg is not getting any younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Anahiem should probably go for forwards but Brodin isn't bad.
Brodin makes sense for them at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Schiefele to Washington would be fine except I highly doubt he drops that far the way he's been rising.
Most teams 15-45 is so even that it's easy for a player to drop a few spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Why does Tampa take a defensive defensemen with limited offensive upside? They'd defenitely go offensive defensemen if they take one. Musil has a good chance of missing the first round anyway.
(1): Hockey bloodlines - Musil comes from a family who's father/uncle played extensively at the NHL level [2000+ games, if I recall, combined], and his mother was also a professional athlete.

(2): David Musil gives Tampa Bay something that they currently don't have in their prospect pool: A good defender - their top prospects are all forwards or goaltenders. They need to pick a blueliner.

(3): Late in the 1st round, you rarely get offensive d-men who are also solid defensively - and thus you're more likely to end up with a Marc-Andre Bergeron type player than a solid defender. Musil is more likely to be an impact player one day than some of the alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
San Jose should take a defensemen, but Ratties not a bad pick
San Jose needs help everywhere in their prospect system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Philllips to Toronto is fine.
Joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Morrow to Vancouver is fine but I doubt he'll be there.
You say this about a lot of players - the reality is it's a very even draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
The biggest issue is Pyke ignores team needs, but also ignores BPA. Teams ignore their needs if they want BPA, and sometimes ignore BPA if they need someone, but they don't ignore both of them. The awful logic with Minnesota, Calgary, Dallas, Buffalo ect is what makes this terrible. Drafts are surprising, but you always see the logic behind the picks after even if they maybe weren't right. There are no logic behind a lot of these picks, it's all over the place.
See, the biggest issue with you is:
(1): Just because you think that's a team need - does not necessarily make it so. Every single one of my picks is defensible based on the team's current roster and prospect system. It's just a matter of evaluation. I'm not saying that's the way the draft will - or even should - go, but it's kind of absurd to suggest I "ignore team needs", when clearly the vast majority of the picks are sensible given the current prospect pools / players.
(2): Your statement about BPA is kind of difficult - because nearly every scouting report on this draft has said that it's an even field in the 15-45 range. If all the NHL general managers convened in secret and released a "mock draft" of the real NHL draft, you probably would respond the same way. You've made generalist statements without actually considering the players. Of course, it's much easier to criticize than put yourself out there.
(3): The fact that you are unable to see the logic of the picks does not mean there is no logic - something that perhaps you have yet to learn.

-=-=-

Ultimately, we do this for fun. Not because we expect to be right (although, obviously we try), but it's just something to kill time. I can guarantee you if you took 100 mock drafts, and had people vote on which one was the most accurate - that it would not conform to what the actual draft would be. I'm sure there's mistakes in this draft - and often when you make one mistake, it affects others (e.g.: maybe a team takes a blueliner because he's the BPA available, but had a certain winger been available they would have taken them instead - then that changes how other teams draft following them). That said - I think this mock is much better than some have suggested - certainly much better than 'having no logic at all'.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
  #40
ummerr
Registered User
 
ummerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
I'm also wondering, what's the OPs personal beef with Landeskog? I think his game can make the transition to the Pros.

ummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
  #41
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta
 
Faidh ar Rud Eigin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Transcendent
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,073
vCash: 500
You do mock drafts for fun, but that doesn't mean it can't be bad. Don't have time to go through it all.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:30 AM
  #42
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You do mock drafts for fun, but that doesn't mean it can't be bad. Don't have time to go through it all.
But you're telling the guy he doesn't know what he's doing because he's not picking the BPA at smoe points where the team isn't picking based on need either.

BPA is BPA in the team's mind. You have no idea who the BPA is at each position.

Saying that this mock draft is ridiculous is ridiculous.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
  #43
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ummerr View Post
I'm also wondering, what's the OPs personal beef with Landeskog? I think his game can make the transition to the Pros.
He's a power forward who is physically mature at a younger age - partially because of his early birth date in his draft year. He can physically bowl over players at the OHL level which allows him to inflate his statistics. Additionally, as a power forward type player - the odds are (looking at other power forwards) he will end up with either injury issues or fail to develop.

It's very, very rare power forwards selected in the top 5-10 turn out as planned. I just rather have high end skill than a PF at that pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
But you're telling the guy he doesn't know what he's doing because he's not picking the BPA at smoe points where the team isn't picking based on need either.

BPA is BPA in the team's mind. You have no idea who the BPA is at each position.

Saying that this mock draft is ridiculous is ridiculous.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You do mock drafts for fun, but that doesn't mean it can't be bad. Don't have time to go through it all.
I agree that mock drafts for fun can be bad. However, your argument doesn't make sense. Your disliking a few picks does not make it have no logic.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
  #44
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,042
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
The biggest issue is Pyke ignores team needs, but also ignores BPA.
you have no clue who a team will think is the BPA at any particular spot. look at the Rangers picking McIlrath at #10 last year, defense was a position of strength for them, and he was considered by many to be far from the best player available.

basically what I'm trying to say is that you're not the expert you think you are. Pyke opinions are just as valuable as yours, except he can get his across without sounding like an arrogant jack-ass.


Last edited by Brian Boyle: 06-09-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: finding a word filter-acceptable
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:40 PM
  #45
SaintAnton
Registered User
 
SaintAnton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 101
Rather see Calgary target Murphy/Schiefele/McNeill/Puempel and maybe even Jensen over Beaulieu; and if we don't take a centre no chance Buffalo trades their pick pretty sure they'd love for McNeill to fall to them.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
  #46
Clive Barley
Condra Commander
 
Clive Barley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Interesting take- I find it fascinating how wide open this draft class seems to be as no 2 mock drafts are alike apart from the top 5-7.

I'm curious about your opinion on McNeill, and why the Sens might take him over a guy like Scheifele, who sounds like more skill less grit. Would he not be the more appealing considering the need for a 2nd line centre as opposed to a Mike Fisher-esque player?

Clive Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
  #47
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains
 
Hans Rutherford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
you have no clue who a team will think is the BPA at any particular spot. look at the Rangers picking McIlrath at #10 last year, defense was a position of strength for them, and he was considered by many to be far from the best player available.

basically what I'm trying to say is that you're not the expert you think you are. Pyke opinions are just as valuable as yours, except he can get his across without sounding like an arrogant jack-ass.
I was going to post something similar. It's one thing to not agree with something, but it's another thing to act like a know-it-all when it comes to the draft. I would have loved to have seen everyones reaction if someone would have posted last years actual draft on here a week before, with Fowler and Gormley dropping as far as they did and McIlrath going ahead of them. That poster would have been chastised to hell by everyone on here.

Some of the picks may be a bit off. But really it should probably be a bit expected. There's bound to be a few surprises. You never know why a GM may like certain player over another.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
  #48
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Barley View Post
Interesting take- I find it fascinating how wide open this draft class seems to be as no 2 mock drafts are alike apart from the top 5-7.

I'm curious about your opinion on McNeill, and why the Sens might take him over a guy like Scheifele, who sounds like more skill less grit. Would he not be the more appealing considering the need for a 2nd line centre as opposed to a Mike Fisher-esque player?
I think a couple things factor into it.

First, obviously with Ottawa trading away two second round picks in my mock draft, they need to make sure their 21st pick is an NHL player. I think McNeill is a safer pick than Schiefele. The fact McNeill is only a month younger but has an extra 35 lbs (and 1 inch shorter) plays into this too. If McNeill's offense doesn't translate at the NHL level, he may still be able to contribute in a 3rd line role.

Second, the Senators are high on McNeill at least among WHL prospects, as seen in the Senate Reform video, and I think this at least suggests he might be a reasonable guess for the 21st pick.

Third, McNeill had better point totals in the lower scoring WHL than Scheifele did - and more goals too. I think there's a component there that maybe for a 2nd line center, a bit more ability to put the puck into the net on their own is key. Fisher had 24 goals and 49 points (in 66 games) in his draft year - I think both players are more skilled than Fisher was. If McNeill can become a Fisher with slightly better (and more consistent offense) I think the Senators would be extremely happy with him at the #21 spot.

I don't think either player is necessary a bad choice, though.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
  #49
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I was going to post something similar. It's one thing to not agree with something, but it's another thing to act like a know-it-all when it comes to the draft. I would have loved to have seen everyones reaction if someone would have posted last years actual draft on here a week before, with Fowler and Gormley dropping as far as they did and McIlrath going ahead of them. That poster would have been chastised to hell by everyone on here.

Some of the picks may be a bit off. But really it should probably be a bit expected. There's bound to be a few surprises. You never know why a GM may like certain player over another.
Let's hope so - that's what makes it fun.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.