HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

WNP-Tor

Old
06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Paladin2799

vCash: 500
WNP-Tor

This trade proposal is based on the assumption that Ladd would prefer to go to a conventional team rather then Winnipeg.

Toronto gives

MacArthur
29th overall
32nd overall

Winnipeg gives

Ladd.

Toronto gets an immediate top6 winger with tons of grit and presense, replacing both MacArthur and the picks lost. The picks are very low, and toronto needs and loves players like Ladd.

Winnipeg gets a young top6 winger needing a deal, they could get him at a reasonable rate over the next few years as well as getting some picks to help with the transition. They remain competative but get extra prospect depth.

Thoughts?

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

That isn't bad value, but Ladd is Winnipeg's Captain. I doubt he'll be traded.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
grits207

1. What makes you think Ladd won't want to play in Winnipeg? He already said himself that he wants to stay with the team and he thinks it's only a matter of time before they get a deal done.

2. Why the hell would Toronto do this? MacArthur has already been a top 6 winger for them and has proven that he has great chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin. Sure Ladd is more physical and has a bit higher upside (even though MacArthur actually had more points this season) but he is also likely to get a bigger contract than MacArthur and the difference between the two players isn't worth two picks in the top 40.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Value wise it is pretty good.. but Ladd is just a big piece of the team going forward.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Did you mean 39th over all?

Also I don't know enough about Ladd to comment on the trade, but I'm thinking the Leafs should stick to MacA for the next 2-3 seasons with a reasonable cap hit (2.5-3mil) to play on the Grabo-Kule line.

That is the Leafs second line. They should keep it together and look for other ways to improve their top line. (I'm looking at Richards)

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post
1. What makes you think Ladd won't want to play in Winnipeg? He already said himself that he wants to stay with the team and he thinks it's only a matter of time before they get a deal done.

2. Why would Toronto do this? MacArthur has already been a top 6 winger for them and has proven that he has great chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin. Sure Ladd is more physical and has a bit higher upside (even though MacArthur actually had more points this season) but he is also likely to get a bigger contract than MacArthur and the difference between the two players isn't worth two picks in the top 40.
1) I have no basis for this belief, I just really like Ladd as a player. I put the clarification at the top to show that.

2) Toronto probobly doesnt want to pay MacArthur for his year, and might like the contract term vs what he wants. Toronto needs players like Ladd, people who play on an edge and can provide leadership for their forward group. If they can get Ladd and Richards thats quite a coup. This is a pretty decent draft, but Toronto does have quite a depth to their system, they can add to the 25th to move up to get a better pick, or pick and choose their best prospect around 25 to select. I think losing the 29th and 32nd is worth the upgrade in Ladd personally.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woll Smoth View Post
Did you mean 39th over all?

Also I don't know enough about Ladd to comment on the trade, but I'm thinking the Leafs should stick to MacA for the next 2-3 seasons with a reasonable cap hit (2.5-3mil) to play on the Grabo-Kule line.

That is the Leafs second line. They should keep it together and look for other ways to improve their top line. (I'm looking at Richards)
the 29th overall, Bostons 1st round pick. Either 30th if they win, or 29th if they lose.

If Toronto aquired Ladd, Lupul would probobly be an excellent replacement on the 2nd line if Ladd clicked with kessel/richards(hoping).

Old
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
the 29th overall, Bostons 1st round pick. Either 30th if they win, or 29th if they lose.

If Toronto aquired Ladd, Lupul would probobly be an excellent replacement on the 2nd line if Ladd clicked with kessel/richards(hoping).
I'm talking about the 32nd.

Could work, and based on what most people are saying the value isn't off.

It would depend on how Winnipeg would feel about stripping the team down and starting over. It wouldn't be likely considering how young the team is.

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
grits207

Quote:
1) I have no basis for this belief, I just really like Ladd as a player. I put the clarification at the top to show that.

2) Toronto probobly doesnt want to pay MacArthur for his year, and might like the contract term vs what he wants. Toronto needs players like Ladd, people who play on an edge and can provide leadership for their forward group. If they can get Ladd and Richards thats quite a coup. This is a pretty decent draft, but Toronto does have quite a depth to their system, they can add to the 25th to move up to get a better pick, or pick and choose their best prospect around 25 to select. I think losing the 29th and 32nd is worth the upgrade in Ladd personally.
I agree the Leafs need more physicality up front but Andrew Ladd isn't exactly Milan Lucic or Ryane Clowe in the physicality department. Keep in mind MacArthur actually had more hits than Ladd this season (MacArthur had 115, Ladd had 68). The Leafs may have decent prospect depth but they still don't have enough that they can afford to give up two of their top three picks for a mediocre upgrade in talent. Only way they should trade those picks is if they are moving up in the draft or using them as part of a package for a center.

grits207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Way too much for Ladd imo.

I'll keep MacArthur and the two picks.

Now if you want to talk Kane then that is different.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Ladd was on TSN today and said he expected a deal to be done with Winnipeg soon.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
no, i would rather keep clarke

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:22 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
This trade proposal is based on the assumption that Ladd would prefer to go to a conventional team rather then Winnipeg.

Toronto gives

MacArthur
29th overall
32nd overall

Winnipeg gives

Ladd.

Toronto gets an immediate top6 winger with tons of grit and presense, replacing both MacArthur and the picks lost. The picks are very low, and toronto needs and loves players like Ladd.

Winnipeg gets a young top6 winger needing a deal, they could get him at a reasonable rate over the next few years as well as getting some picks to help with the transition. They remain competative but get extra prospect depth.

Thoughts?
What do you mean by 'conventional team' ???

IMO, Winnipeg will do their utmost to re-sign Ladd.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:01 AM
broc

Ladd is too important to the rebuild. Leadership and Cup experience > Mac.

Toronto shouldn't screw with that 2nd line chemistry Mac has with Grabo and Kule either..

Deal doesn't make sense for either team

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Yosho
Logic

This is pretty close for both teams, but I think Ladd is too important to the new Winnipeg franchise.

Maybe if they were still in Atlanta.

Yosho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Can you define "conventional team"?

The Winnipeg team is still going to use pucks, skates, and sticks, right?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Can you define "conventional team"?

The Winnipeg team is still going to use pucks, skates, and sticks, right?

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by grits207 View Post

2. Why the hell would Toronto do this? MacArthur has already been a top 6 winger for them and has proven that he has great chemistry with Grabovski and Kulemin. Sure Ladd is more physical and has a bit higher upside (even though MacArthur actually had more points this season) but he is also likely to get a bigger contract than MacArthur and the difference between the two players isn't worth two picks in the top 40.
Completely agree, but just so you know, MacArthur almost doubled Ladd in hits last year...

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Christ

No way the Leafs do this. Ladd is an excellent player but MacArthur has proven to be an excellent producer in Toronto and has a great deal of chemistry with his linemates. A productive player who is known to "fit" with the team has more value to that team because they know about what they are going to get from him. While it is possible that the Leafs and Winnipeg flip Ladd for MacArthur if the two teams are having difficulty signing them, I highly doubt that the Leafs would be adding a couple of high picks to the deal.

I remember an article a couple of weeks back where Ladd was questioned about Winnipeg and he was full of nothing but positive comments. He likes the team he is on and I believe that Winnipeg wants to keep him so I can't see Winnipeg all that eager to move him either.

Christ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
This is pretty close for both teams, but I think Ladd is too important to the new Winnipeg franchise.

Maybe if they were still in Atlanta.
I'm sorry but am I the only one who immediately thinks we're paying WAY too much for Ladd?

Sure, he's a great all-around two way player, leader, etc. But the guy just cracked the 50 pt plateau this past year at 59 pts, got out scored by MaCarthur, is only 8 months yonger than MaC both being 85s, and yet it's proposed that we not only give MaC but our 2 1st rounders for him?

And people are actually saying it's not bad value?

WTF?

It's a friggin wet dream for Atlanta/Winnipeg. It doesn't even make it past Burke's spam filter.

Edit: sorry, our 1 first and our early 2nd. All the same applies.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
I'm sorry but am I the only one who immediately thinks we're paying WAY too much for Ladd?

Sure, he's a great all-around two way player, leader, etc. But the guy just cracked the 50 pt plateau this past year at 59 pts, got out scored by MaCarthur, is only 8 months yonger than MaC both being 85s, and yet it's proposed that we not only give MaC but our 2 1st rounders for him?

And people are actually saying it's not bad value?

WTF?

It's a friggin wet dream for Atlanta/Winnipeg. It doesn't even make it past Burke's spam filter.

Edit: sorry, our 1 first and our early 2nd. All the same applies.
Would you trade Kulemin for McArthur + those 30's picks?

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:33 AM
DinoNeils

Counter:

Winnipeg keeps Ladd

Toronto keeps McArthur and those picks

Fans on both sides are really high on the guys there team give up, so it is probably a fair deal. I personally think McArthur is a product of his surroundings. If he played within a solid top 6, I doubt he would have the opportunities to produce the way he did last season. You could probably say the same for Ladd, but, in my opinion, he brings a wealth of experience and a superior two way game.

DinoNeils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:26 AM
hdtrax

Not a good deal. Ladd is a centerpiece in WPG and Clarkey deserves to play another season in TO.

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Trollmark*

lol Conventional

Now I am really excited to watch the WPG team play. Maybe they will use baseball bats instead.

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
1. Ladd has said that he is excited to play in Winnipeg.
2. I'd rather keep MacArthur and the two picks.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote