HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Favorite all time ranger

Old
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
Tie Domi
Mike Gartner
Joey Kocur

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
<-----

I had the fortunate pleasure and honor to have watched majority of Brian Leetch's career.

Since about 91.

Love Leetch. Grew up practicing out on the street in my old Rollerblade brand skates (same exact ones the guy from the movie Airborne wore) and on ice on the weekends for hours everyday for years to be like Leetch.

Still have never met him, though unfortunately. And I REALLY hopes do get to meet him oneday so I can thank him and talk hockey and life with him.

I've met Graves.

And got to skate/play with Rod Gilbert when I was 10 years old. Ill never forget it. At a clinic at Mackay in Englewood, NJ. I came in second place in a shootout tournament. He skated with me with his arm on my shoulder talking hockey.

But Leetchie is my favorite player of all time.
Story time:

Back in 2006, I was at Islands of Adventure in Orlando, Florida. We were walking by The Hulk rollercoaster and everyone in my family could have sworn Brian Leetch was walking toward the Spider Man ride.

Turns out it was him: got a picture with the family and an autograph.

The only downside is I really didn't know who he was because that was only my 2nd season watching the Rangers... now I wish I would've appreciated the moment more.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Without question...for me it's Brian Leetch. Drafted by the organization. American born kid. Teams had to contour thier style to try and contain him. Once Messier got here and gave him the confidence boost Leetch just took it to another level. One of the greatest offensive defensemen the game has ever seen. The guy was just better than everyone else on the ice most nights. Nobody ever kept a puck in the zone better than him on the PP. So much to his game, and the guy was just a staple for so long here in NY. I cursed the day he was traded as he earned the right to retire a Ranger.

Close behind Leetch are two others.

1) Adam Graves who is bar none the nicest individual I have ever met. He redefines being a stand up guy. Love that he's back with the team. The crazy thing about Adam Graves is...for just about everyone that meets him. They all say the same thing. The guy just has a way about him, and certainly knows how to make an impression on people. Personally I think its because he is so genuine.

2) Joey Kocur...Brought fear back into opponents when he came to NY. There was a period of time after the Fotiu years where running around and taking it to Rangers players really beacme the official way to beat the Rangers. I will never forget the Jeff Bloemberg incident where Vukots and Bomber just tore up Kris King and Bloemberg at the end of that playoff game. After that game the Rangers brought in Kocur in the off season. He quickly established himself in the East, and in a very short period of time the Rangers were the team imposing its will on the opposition. I haven't seen an enforcer have that effect since. Of course the rest of the team also played bigger. That 94 team was among the toughest Rangers teams of all time. Kocur was a huge factor in it.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I've been around here for a long time...I've got a lot of favorites.

Steve Larmer
Dan Girardi
Adam Graves
Brian Leetch
Harry Howell
Rod Gilbert

One of the great nights of my life came when the MSG people introduced me to Rod at a game. They tipped him off that I was a longtime fan and he sat with me and watched the last two periods, talking like we knew each other our whole lives. It was magical.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

All-Time

1)Graves
2)Leetch
3)Richter

Current
1) Lundqvist
2) Callahan
3) Sauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I've been around here for a long time...I've got a lot of favorites.

Steve Larmer
Dan Girardi
Adam Graves
Brian Leetch
Harry Howell
Rod Gilbert

One of the great nights of my life came when the MSG people introduced me to Rod at a game. They tipped him off that I was a longtime fan and he sat with me and watched the last two periods, talking like we knew each other our whole lives. It was magical.
I interviewed Rod at an event about 2 or 3 years ago. What a gentleman. He could have spoken to me for 2 minutes and brushed me off. At the end of the 5 or 10 minute interview, when I told him how big a fan I was, he stood their talking to me off the record for a good 15 minutes. Gave me some great insight into the editions of the team that I was sadly too young to know. Pat Lafontaine was there, too, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy, either.

I've posted in the past about meeting Graves. I won't go into the whole thing now, but suffice it to say, it was one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me. What a genuinely nice person he is.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Been a fan since the late 80s as a young kid so I've had many favorites over the years:

Tomas Sandstrom
Mike Gartner
Steve Larmer
Esa Tikannen

But I guess it goes before and after lockout. Before Richter and Leetch.

Post lockout: Callahan and Anisimov.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:28 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Graves and Lundqvist

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Few weeks back, I had a chance to have dinner with Maria Gaborik, and Marcel Hossa (Remember him?) It's amazing how we don't realize that athletes are just normal people. They were really cool, and Gaborik even said he could hook me up with some awesome tix (even though i have season tickets). So, from Rangers the 5 or so Rangers that i've talked to, i pick marian, because he's getting me tickets (so please keep him )

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

no question

its Barry Beck

honorable mention to Richter

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
mike14

Messier.

Due to the Rangers signing lots of free agents, many of my favorite players have ended up in New York.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

When I was little, during the 90's I remember being a a huge Messier fan. Had my little white Starter jersey with my kids Messier player-T. Leetch, Graves and Richter were always up there, but Messier was always the guy.

Then Jagr and Lundqvist came and went up high on that list, simply because they brought respectability and enjoyement back to the Rangers. Especially at a time where I can finally be old enough to remember and appreciate decent teams.

In the end, I gotta say Lundqvist for me.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I'd love to sound like a cultured, sophisticated fan and choose a great old-timer, but the farthest back I go, watching the Rangers is about '92-94. I was definitely obsessed with Richter for the longest time as a kid and I will always love Brian Leetch, but I honestly have to say it's Henrik. Lundqvist has been, by far, the biggest privilege to watch, in my opinion. The game is just getting so much bigger and faster and the way that Lundqvist competes at this elite level of play in the current NHL is just mind blowing. I love the guy.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:03 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Nothing wrong with that, Zetterqvist. Richter is my favorite, but I'd have to put Henke at number two on my list.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Rangers4Life74

Leetch
Tomas Sandstrom
Brian Mullen
Beezer
Richter
Zubov
Kovalev
Jagr
John Ogrodnick

current
The King
Gaborik
Staal
Girardi
Callahan
Dubi

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
coz21
Skrillllllz

I always liked Dvorak when I started following hockey really closely. No idea why. I felt like he stepped up in 00-01 on the super loaded underachieving team.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:13 AM
chip chipperson*

leetch imo is the greatest ranger of all time. and its not that close imo.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
mrhockey193195

All time:
Messier, Gretzky, Richter, Graves, Leetch, in no order.

More recent players who are some of my all time favorites:
Callahan, Jagr, Lundqvist, Straka, Dubi, Staal, Girardi.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:26 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Brian Leetch was one of the most amazing players I ever saw in my life. Hockey on TV then did not do him justice. You had to be there to believe it.
Bostons really chapskate GM Harry Sinden would always talk crap about him.
Couldn't have said it better. I agree, you had to be there game in and game out to really admire just how special a player he was. Leetch was definitely under appreciated around the league. After nearly 30 years, still not one defense man has been able to match his 100+ points in a season. People couldn't find much fault with his offense so the "knock" against him was that he couldn't play "d." I thought he stood his ground real well for an offensive defense man (better than Paul Coffey), and even with Messier as the captain, I always felt like in the 90's, Leetch's name was synonymous with NY Rangers hockey. Like someone else said, I don't think he should have been dealt because of what he meant to the organization. Almost like an unwritten rule of respect.
In no way was Detroit going to trade Yzerman, and Lidstrom will retire a Red Wing. Same with Sakic and many other players.....(But I do like Sauer though).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:02 AM
Sockosensei

Sorry to go with the 'standard' choices, but...

All-Time:

Graves -- Watching him stand up for teammates and go hard into the corners and to the net is what first got me hooked on the game of hockey in '91-92.
I was too young and new to the sport to appreciate just how special Leetch and Messier were until a year or two later.

Currently:

Callahan -- He's too much fun to watch. Even though he's still a young guy, he's already a role-model for all of our younger players coming up.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Blazephr

Brian Leetch

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:30 AM
acapps10

Mark mother****ing Messier

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:32 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Richter.

not favorites but I always had a soft spot for Larmer, Verbeek, and Gartner.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:32 AM
bscharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
As weird as it sounds, I'd probably be Dan Girardi. I just love his balls (no homo)
thank you for making my night

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:46 AM
darko

Right now probably Lundqvist. Tons of likeable guys on this team though (Girardi, Cally, Doobs).

Loved Leetch and Graves. Was a huge Naslund fan so was over the moon when he joined Rangers, albeit for a short stint. Loved that Naslund/Bert/Morrison Canuck top line in early 00s.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:52 AM
satrabyk

I started watching after the cup run mainly in 96 when i was 5 or 6, my dad would have games on but i was never was that die hard until maybe 2000 so my opinions are based on my own Ranger career. I did love Leetch the years i watched him play, very fun to watch is rushes, i remember the 2 goals he scored on year like it was yesterday.Theo Fleury(bought his jersey), York, Lindros that line was fun to watch. I didnt mind Nedved, i always loved Bure on the rangers and on Fla. More recent i liked Malik, Rozi, Kaspar, Nylander, Jagr, Straka. Present Lundy, Stall, AA, MZA.

A fav is tough but i will have to say Lundy for his all together compete level and knowing he will prob become my fav Ranger even more in the future. O forgot to mention Sauer i love this guy also lol.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote