HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 12:57 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I wish I could think of something to say without being a ******, but really no point dropping to that low of a level.
Relax, I could see why you took that seriously, I didn't mean too cause much harm Sorry.

The Oilers are actually the only other Canadian team I like. I definitely see both teams being competitive for a long time in the future but EDM takes the cake with fire power (that could obviously change via Free Agency).

Two teams headed in the right direction.

And to "Eminem"

What do you mean: "same old story", this is the first time Toronto has rebuilt...

Old
06-10-2011, 01:00 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
I apologize if it came off as rude but I meant it in a realistic way.

I'm a Blue Jays fan... but I know that my team does not compete with the Yankees or Red Sox in terms of long terms potential to build winning teams. Toronto has been plagued with a terrible business only mentality the last few years and mediocre management and terrible ownership for the majority of the last 40 years.

Things have changed.

Which really opens up a lot of possibilities long term for this organization.

Toronto will outspend Edmonton. Why? Because if Toronto and Edmonton are both competitive and are bidding on the same free agent, the player likely chooses Toronto. Unless he's from Edmonton... lol. You will have to pay a little more to win over free agents if competing with a competitive Toronto (or New York, Detroit, Montreal, etc).

I don't mean to be a jerk about it but you need to be realistic.

On paper and if you're hopeful all your young talent hits their potential, you can ice a better starting line of forwards. But overall, the Oilers are at or below Toronto in the depth or prospects department and ability to attract UFA prospects (Gustavsson, Bozak, Rynnas, Scrivens, etc).
It's funny, I'm a Jays fan too, actually a big Jays fan, so I understand that point. The difference is though, look at a team like the Marlins, who have one multiple times in the last decade with 40 million, yet the Yankees won once with 350 million Of course the Yanks will spend TOONS more than the Jays, but it's different in hockey.

When both teams are competitive, the Leafs and Oilers will both spend to the cap, so it's not like one team will spend more than the other.

I think the hope is we draft our elite players, develop them right, and they hopefully stay long-term. if that happens, we will only need to sign complimentary players and role guys, not elite players.

We will never compete attracting UFAs, but then again there are only a 2-3 teams that CAN compete with Toronto, so it's something that 25 other teams deal with as well. I doubt our management will chase any big tickey guys because it the cost of overpaying is too much.

And no, it didn't come as that rude, just a bit.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:02 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Relax, I could see why you took that seriously, I didn't mean too cause much harm Sorry.

The Oilers are actually the only other Canadian team I like. I definitely see both teams being competitive for a long time in the future but EDM takes the cake with fire power (that could obviously change via Free Agency).

Two teams headed in the right direction.

And to "Eminem"

What do you mean: "same old story", this is the first time Toronto has rebuilt...
Well, in a thread that's as big of a joke as this with all the pissing matches back and forth, you need to make jokes a less subtle and easier to understand than that

Agreed on the rest though.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Sometimes you know how messy a thread will be just by reading the title. This is one of those threads.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
To Toronto:
1st Overall
19th Overall
Martin Marincin

To Edmonton
Luke Schenn
Nazem Kadri
29th Overall
85th Overall

Thoughts? ;D;D;D;D
Throw in Seguin and youve got a deal.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Throw in Seguin and youve got a deal.
Only if you throw in Chris Pronger.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Pronger returnedus Eberle and Smid Dont worry we got over it. But right now Kessel is > than Seguin and Knight Might not be in the future but as of now Toronto has won that trade.

Old
06-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post
What are you talking about ? What I was saying doing well in the AHL means the player (Kadri) is farther along then anyone you pick in this years draft.

Kadri played less games then Omark in the NHL but was pretty much exactly as productive

.. oh yeah and Kadri is 3 years(?) younger then Omark with a much higher ceiling ..
Omark is 24 .. he better produce at the AHL level or he is going to have a real rough time in the NHL as top 6, no ?

Seriously you guys wonder why I said Kadri will out produce your golden boy Eberle.

Ya Leafs will Give you Kadri and '12 1st for for Omark.
No you actually said this:

"Point a game at the AHL level ?
Something you will be praying your 1st overall can do in his first N.A pro year. ..

Seriously ...

You think you are getting another Hall who is going to step in to the NHL or even the AHL and be a lock to not struggle you are kidding yourself.

And the Oilers would kill for Schenn gtfo with that BS "

Clearly implying first overall pick would be lucky to hold up to the mighty Kadri, the Omark example was to show how bad the logic is

Old
06-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post
First off genius I am Canadian.
Second off the education would help you with the math it takes to figure out who is streaky.

Living proof our federal government should have more control over our public schools, IMO. Some provinces obviously are not cutting it.
http://www.societyforqualityeducatio...dec06/BURY.pdf

To save you the reading

"
How are Canadian students performing? Or should the question be—
how effective are the education systems in each province that ensure their
students have access to quality education? Across the subject areas—reading,
mathematics, and science—Alberta students outperformed students from all
other provinces. Not only did they reach this champion ranking, they outperformed students from almost all other countries in the world. For more
specific data, refer to the ranking charts at the end of this report"

For a leaf fan I'll assume Ontario, why insult your home province with the bolded?

Old
06-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
lol at edmonton fans thinking they are better than the leafs.

news flash: you guys were last place for two consecutive years in row, and it looks like you will be a bottom team again this year even with RNH.

Your defense suck major ass and you will not go anywhere with that pile of crap protecting your goalie.
As opposed to finishing second last? Oh wait since you traded the pick it doesnt count I guess. And this year you are spending roughly 7.4 million more so I should hope you do better in the standings

Old
06-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Throw in Rask and youve got a deal.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Pronger returnedus Eberle and Smid Dont worry we got over it. But right now Kessel is > than Seguin and Knight Might not be in the future but as of now Toronto has won that trade.
and Marincin too, right?

Anaheim's pick got us Nash (ew), who we moved to Carolina for Marincin.

So yeah we're not going to cry about Pronger when we ended up with Eberle, Marincin and Smid.

Closed Thread