HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Panthers interested in Kris Versteeg

Old
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I don't understand what happened to Nodl. If I remember correctly he was a great shooter early in his career and a goal scorer. We never saw much of him up until the playoffs last year where he acted as a grinder.

When did this transition from scorer to grinder happen. Also, who is to say he won't regain his scoring prowess with more confidence, strength, and experience.
Happens to lots of people when they make the jump to the pros...Nodl was good in college, but he's one of many to fail to elevate his offensive game in the AHL/NHL.

Fortunately, he made a good worker out of himself. He doesn't hurt in our zone and his boardwork makes him useful, or he wouldn't be with the big club at all.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
And Versteeg somehow fixing the PP isn't good enough for me if we're trying to win a Stanley Cup.
So...nevermind that it would be fixed...you'd have a problem with who did it? It's not like the guy who banged your wife fixed your cable hookup. That I could see still having an issue with. But Versteeg contributing to what fixes the powerplay?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I'm a bit drunk. So, there's your disclaimer...I've probably not read posts all the way through.

Here's my thought-train: Versteeg isn't going to fix the PP. Why? Because the PP was so terrible at even a fundamental level, that it requires an entire re-working.

06-10-2011, 01:49 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm a bit drunk. So, there's your disclaimer...I've probably not read posts all the way through.

Here's my thought-train: Versteeg isn't going to fix the PP. Why? Because the PP was so terrible at even a fundamental level, that it requires an entire re-working.
Didn't Berube (am I right on the Asst. Coach) say they should treat it like a 5 on 5 or something?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I don't understand what happened to Nodl. If I remember correctly he was a great shooter early in his career and a goal scorer. We never saw much of him up until the playoffs last year where he acted as a grinder.

When did this transition from scorer to grinder happen. Also, who is to say he won't regain his scoring prowess with more confidence, strength, and experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Happens to lots of people when they make the jump to the pros...Nodl was good in college, but he's one of many to fail to elevate his offensive game in the AHL/NHL.

Fortunately, he made a good worker out of himself. He doesn't hurt in our zone and his boardwork makes him useful, or he wouldn't be with the big club at all.
The majority of NHL players have had good offensive careers at amateur levels. Riley Cote even had back-to-back 50-point seasons in juniors. Nodl was a good college scorer, and he has every right to improve, but it was evident that they had to rework his mentality while defending. It's possible he can still be a 40-point player. Rich Peverley and Alex Burrows needed time to convert better defensive play into offense.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
3rd for Versteeg

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

agreed, the PP was not one player (save maybe a Crosby-type) from improving too much.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
3rd for Versteeg
I'm sure we can get better then that.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
3rd overall for Versteeg
Done.

I assume you meant that because a 3rd rounder for Versteeg is a travesty.

If you could trade 3rd rounders for perennial 20-goal scorers you wouldn't be in the league basement.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

3rd round picks are not the going rate for 24-year old multiple 20-goal scorers who have already won a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
i dont think Versteeg is getting dealt honestly. you think we could get a top 10 pick for a guy coming off double sports hernia surgery? I know what his resume looks like. But dont GMs look at what have you done for me lately when making a deal?

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't see Versteeg leaving either. Holmgren is going to want to give him a chance when he is fully healthy. I don't think he played that bad against Boston actually.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
I don't see Versteeg leaving either. Holmgren is going to want to give him a chance when he is fully healthy. I don't think he played that bad against Boston actually.
There's almost zero chance, unless the trade coming our way is a very good return, which it won't be.

Bailing on Versteeg right now would essentially mean admitting that the trade was a huge mistake. Additionally, with Versteeg having been injured, it would seem somewhat unfair.

So, he's not going anywhere, especially since the return would be pitiful.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
It depends. They can't sign Bryzgalov without losing some salary. If they move one big ticket guy, and let Leino walk, they can keep Versteeg.

If they don't want to trade Carter/Richards/Briere/Timonen, then two players have to go: Versteeg or Hartnell, Carle or Coburn.

A lot hinges on what Bryz's cap hit is, which is why they have to get an agreement in place a few days before the draft, even if it isn't filed with the league until July 1.

One other thing about Versteeg. He played for Tallon in Chicago, as did our boy Matt Walker. Maybe Dale will take MW's contract too - a decent player for his third pair and will help him reach the cap floor.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:10 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It depends. They can't sign Bryzgalov without losing some salary. If they move one big ticket guy, and let Leino walk, they can keep Versteeg.

If they don't want to trade Carter/Richards/Briere/Timonen, then two players have to go: Versteeg or Hartnell, Carle or Coburn.

A lot hinges on what Bryz's cap hit is, which is why they have to get an agreement in place a few days before the draft, even if it isn't filed with the league until July 1.

One other thing about Versteeg. He played for Tallon in Chicago, as did our boy Matt Walker. Maybe Dale will take MW's contract too - a decent player for his third pair and will help him reach the cap floor.
Why would we want to reduce the return we get in a trade by including Walker when we can just waive him and send him down? The only reason not to is Matt Walker's feelings, and being viewed as a nice organization that won't bury bad contracts in the minors.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Why would we want to reduce the return we get in a trade by including Walker when we can just waive him and send him down? The only reason not to is Matt Walker's feelings, and being viewed as a nice organization that won't bury bad contracts in the minors.
We wouldn't. My thinking is that FLA might be the only place we can trade Walker whose GM might actually want him. Walker played well in Chicago but then TB offered him more $ than Chi could afford.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Flyers should think about throwing in Laperriere in this deal. I doubt he ever plays again, and I think he knows that. The only way he won't count against the cap this year is he is put back on LTIR, and then he would have to go through the motions of rehabing an injury even though he knows he'll never play again. If he retires this offseason, we're stuck with his cap hit for the season. Meanwhile the Panthers have 40 mill in cap space and will need contracts just to reach the cap floor.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:15 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Flyers should think about throwing in Laperriere in this deal. I doubt he ever plays again, and I think he knows that. The only way he won't count against the cap this year is he is put back on LTIR, and then he would have to go through the motions of rehabing an injury even though he knows he'll never play again. If he retires this offseason, we're stuck with his cap hit for the season. Meanwhile the Panthers have 40 mill in cap space and will need contracts just to reach the cap floor.
I would be more disgusted in the Flyers organization than I ever have in my life if they pulled this ********.

Lappy does not deserve to be treated that way, and the one thing the Flyers do better than most is show loyalty to their "family".

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I would be more disgusted in the Flyers organization than I ever have in my life if they pulled this ********.

Lappy does not deserve to be treated that way, and the one thing the Flyers do better than most is show loyalty to their "family".
If he wants to retire, its doing him a favor. If he believes that he can make a comeback, then they don' trade him and stick him on LTIR.

What would be disgusting is the him wanting to retire and the Flyers convincing to him to do pointless rehab work just for the sake of not screwing over their cap situation.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
If he wants to retire, its doing him a favor. If he believes that he can make a comeback, then they don' trade him and stick him on LTIR.

What would be disgusting is the him wanting to retire and the Flyers convincing to him to do pointless rehab work just for the sake of not screwing over their cap situation.
He already is retired, essentially. I'd be very angry at him if he couldn't simply wait to officially send in the paperwork for one more year.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
He already is retired, essentially. I'd be very angry at him if he couldn't simply wait to officially send in the paperwork for one more year.
From my understanding, its more than just paperwork. Its actual physical work he'd have to do for the NHL to be satisfied that he is legitimately on LTIR. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
From my understanding, its more than just paperwork. Its actual physical work he'd have to do for the NHL to be satisfied that he is legitimately on LTIR. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
If he was 100% ok to play, I think he would be more than willing to play his final year. There's no question that his spot on the LTIR list is legitimate.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
If he was 100% ok to play, I think he would be more than willing to play his final year. There's no question that his spot on the LTIR list is legitimate.
This.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

With the way concussions are going, if he walks into the doctor's office and says "dude, I still have a concussion," he's going back on LTIR, they won't bother with the song and dance.

How do you rehab for a concussion? The other option will be that they'll trade his contract somewhere and probably give them a 4th round pick in exchange for "future considerations" and some ECHL player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

What's going to happen if they sign Bryzgalov is that on June 30 we'll feel like we have some breathing room on the cap and then we'll find a way to tighten ourselves up against it again by overpaying for someone. Holmgren can get a decent deal done when it's done before July 1, and then on the open market he'll go out and overpay for low depth players.

Old
06-10-2011, 03:05 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
One of Versteeg and Leino must be retained - I'm OK with losing some wing depth but losing ~40 goals is too much. Flyers are overspending on D and that is the obvious choice to shift some salary

Versteeg is going to come cheaper and with a shorter deal providing more flexibility in future seasons. Plus I think hes the better player and a better fit anyway.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote