HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Behind the scenes of Price's NHL debut

Old
06-10-2011, 02:39 AM
HC Ref

vCash: 500
Behind the scenes of Price's NHL debut

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../115243/public

From Renaud Lavoie's blog. The blog talks mostly about the cup finals, but scroll down to the part titled "BOB GAINEY ET CAREY PRICE"

Quote:
Mon collègue Marc De Foy, du journal de Montréal, s’est entretenu avec Rolland Melanson et ce dernier lui a révélé quelques détails sur la première saison de Carey Price avec le Canadien.

Je me souviens très bien du mois de septembre 2007. Carey Price en était à son premier camp d’entraînement avec le Canadien, après avoir remporté la coupe Calder avec les Bulldogs.

I found it interesting. It explores the conflicting statements made at the time by the coach and GM.

HC Ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:57 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Already a mistake on the 2nd sentence.

Quote:
Je me souviens très bien du mois de septembre 2007. Carey Price en était à son premier camp d’entraînement avec le Canadien, après avoir remporté la coupe Calder avec les Bulldogs.
It was his 3rd training camp after 2005 and 2006.

Also. Marc de Foy LOL

Also if I am not mistaken, Carey Price had a great 1st half in 08-09 until his injury. In the 2nd half, the whole team played bad and he was average but his injury did slow him down.

In 09-10 he couldn't buy any luck.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:15 AM
number 11

whats the article trying to prove? at 23 years old price is one of the best goalies in the league, and we should all be lining up to thank gainey who played a big part in getting him there.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
whats the article trying to prove? at 23 years old price is one of the best goalies in the league, and we should all be lining up to thank gainey who played a big part in getting him there.
They're out of stories and traffic, so de Foy was trying to stir the pot. Lavoie followed step.

There's nothing to prove here. At the most, it just proves Gainey was right in the argument.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:29 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
They're out of stories and traffic, so de Foy was trying to stir the pot. Lavoie followed step.

There's nothing to prove here. At the most, it just proves Gainey was right in the argument.
Yup.

All it proves is that the rough season made Price grow and mature faster than a lot of goalies.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Already a mistake on the 2nd sentence.

It was his 3rd training camp after 2005 and 2006.
He is not saying it was his first camp ever, but his first after winning the Calder Cup.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Given what Price did last year, you can't really say too much negative about the process to get him there, the big screw up by Gainey was moving Huet and going with 2 rookies in 07-08.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:13 AM
King peZ
Where's my Cup?

Anything we didn't already know in this article? No... Great job putting Carey Price's name in your blog tho Renaud Lavoie... Gets you more views!

Cliffs of the Article:
- Everybody loved Carey Price after he MVP'd the Calder Cup
- Carbo and his coaching staff agreed he needed a year in Hamilton atleast
- Gainey wanted Price to stay in NHL even as backup
- Gainey won argument (Duh he was the GM)
- Price started sucking until he reached rock bottom and worked hard to be awesome right now
- The end

King peZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
MathMan

Reminder: Price was a .920 goalie in his rookie season. It took a year and a half, and an injury, before he started "sucking".

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:55 AM
neofury*

I'd say Price would have matured faster no matter what.

For starters he has to play in Montreal, whether you struggle or not if you play here you're going to mature greatly over the course of your time here. Some people like SK do the opposite but Price seems like a down to earth kind of dude. He seems like the shy quiet type while SK seems like the party animal starting **** with people type.

It's all about personality. Gainey probably knew price had the right temperament for Montreal on top of being a great goalie already. He likely knew it was Montreal's one chance to get a goalie like this because it isn't every day you find a player who not only performs but does so at a young age under all of this pressure. Gainey did do a good job on this one.

Also notice a lot of our more recent players have a similar personality in that regard? I mean PK is PK we robbed the draft with him so I doubt it was his personality they were looking at most, but I mean guys like Weber, Price, Pacioretty, Eller, they all seem like down to earth keep to themselves sort of guys. Markov is another one as was Koivu. They lead by example not with their personality

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I think Price got good despite Gainey's handling of him. I remember him crying his heart out when he got trounced during one game. They had to get him back to Hamilton. Then they brought him back for the playoffs, trading Huet while Huet was doing well and Price looked shaky against Philly. The year he came second to Halak where Halak became super-Halak showed to me that a far less skilled goalie than him was ahead of him because guess what what the Habs had done the right things as far as the progression of Halak as a goalie and had rushed Price. Habs sent Halak in Hamilton and learned the right way while Price was given the golden pound from the get-go, making him think everything was due to him. Instead of working hard to get it. What Gainey did was bad parenting in my opinion. Like spoiling a favored child too much. You know what happened when Lafleur when he came to the NHL? Bowman kept him on the bench for three years! So he would learn humility and learn what it is to be a good soldier, not saying anything, learn to be professional player. And then he exploded after that. I have to say though that that's what coach Martin did with Price during Halak's golden year and kuddos to Martin for that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:27 PM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I think Price got good despite Gainey's handling of him. I remember him crying his heart out when he got trounced during one game. They had to get him back to Hamilton. Then they brought him back for the playoffs, trading Huet while Huet was doing well and Price looked shaky against Philly. The year he came second to Halak where Halak became super-Halak showed to me that a far less skilled goalie than him was ahead of him because guess what what the Habs had done the right things as far as the progression of Halak as a goalie and had rushed Price. Habs sent Halak in Hamilton and learned the right way while Price was given the golden pound from the get-go, making him think everything was due to him. Instead of working hard to get it. What Gainey did was bad parenting in my opinion. Like spoiling a favored child too much. You know what happened when Lafleur when he came to the NHL? Bowman kept him on the bench for three years! So he would learn humility and learn what it is to be a good soldier, not saying anything, learn to be professional player. And then he exploded after that. I have to say though that that's what coach Martin did with Price during Halak's golden year and kuddos to Martin for that.
but at the same time price had performed very well during his time in the ahl. if he needed to learn humility, learn to get over the instant-star label and flop to handle the pressure - then keeping him at the ahl level wouldn't help, he needed to do so at the nhl level.

in my opinion, if these are lessons he would have needed in the nhl anyway - the earlier the better.

also, the lafleur era canadiens had the ability to keep an up-and-coming star sitting on the bench without much impact on their lineup

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Price Gainey

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You can say it was despite Gainey's handling, but in the end, the experiences he went through made him the goalie he is today. Would he have become as good if he were in the AHL? Probably. But I am happy he went through all this early because at some point it would have happen. To be doubted as much, go through extreme lows while the city cherishes another keeper as its Hero, only to bounce back showed how strong his character is. I don't think we would have seen this had he gone through a year in the AHL (facing much weaker talent), and slowly worked his way up as a back up to starter over a few years. Maybe his tough season would have happened at 25-26, where doubts set in. Who's to know how he would have reacted.
There's an undeniable saying in life that is ''the past makes you who you are today''. You can criticize or applaud Gainey's position on the Price handling, I think it's a mixture of both. I applaud him for sticking with him and keeping him here, but I criticize him for not surrounding Price with a good veteran presence like they did with PK.
In the end though, we have to be pretty darn happy with what we have.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
He is not saying it was his first camp ever, but his first after winning the Calder Cup.
No, there's a comma, meaning the author means it was his first camp with the Habs, AND first after his Calder Cup win. Which shows bad research/knowledge.

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
habtastic

I've been a Price super fan ever since we drafted him (even during his off year). Everything Gainey did, I didn't question because contrary to the opinions of many, I think Bob is as sharp as they come. Gainey knew that Carey needed experience. We weren't going to win the cup anytime soon.
Price has said himself that you can't buy experience and he has obviously come into the top form goalie he was meant to be. Everything Gainey did + Price's inner desire and dealing with hardship has lead to the fact that we IMO have the best goalie in the league (I trust him more than anyone...I would die a thousand deaths if we had thomas, I don't care about his numbers) and it's come about around the time when our hockey club is rounding out to be a contender in this league of little parity. The future looks bright, but it wouldn't matter at all if the first piece of the puzzle was put into place with the signing and BG support of Price. How I pray that he will forever be a Hab.

other biggest moves by BG/PG and co in the last 7 years or so: drafting PK, developing and signing Plex, the bold but now very good looking remodeling of the team two years ago (Cammy, Gio, Moen, Gill and yes...Gomez...he will have a great season next year and IMO the team is better with him than without him and with somebody who we would sign with his money).

Of course there are other personal inspiring stories (Gorges' growth, Halak's magical time here, little tweaks like Halpern/Moore/Wiz), but mainly Price being the centerpiece of this team. Will be the cornerstone of our next cup. But everyone these days (compared to before the 2nd exhibition game of last season) thinks this.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Gary320

In my opinion, any news about Price's first years (Management or personal) are old news. I could care less about it. The boy became a man in the matter of a year or two. That's all that matters now. He's a new man.. and a great goalie.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

It appears that Melanson felt that Price was rushed into the NHL and that more responsibility was put on Price's shoulders much sooner than Melanson was comfortable with as his coach and for Price's sake.

Melanson acknowledges that Price ultimately turned out OK, but senior team management (apparently not hockey management) made the decision with which Melanson was not comfortable!

Arguably, Boivin has done a good job at the business end of the presiding over the HABS....personally, I'm glad that he will very soon be gone and Geoff Molson will take over the presidency of the Habs.

I can only assume that if Molson was happy with how the organization was being run....he would not likely be making significant changes with senior management!

What if this is....as good as it gets?

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 06-12-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
neofury*

What if this is....annoying after being done a dozen plus times?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
What if this is....annoying after being done a dozen plus times?

I'm sure Melvin Udall would say....Then don't read it!

What if this is....as good as it gets?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Habs

I often forget this kid is so young, what promise he has.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:25 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

He's arguably a top 5 goalie in the league. How can we blame someone?

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
Anything we didn't already know in this article? No... Great job putting Carey Price's name in your blog tho Renaud Lavoie... Gets you more views!

Cliffs of the Article:
- Everybody loved Carey Price after he MVP'd the Calder Cup
- Carbo and his coaching staff agreed he needed a year in Hamilton atleast
- Gainey wanted Price to stay in NHL even as backup
- Gainey won argument (Duh he was the GM)
- Price started sucking until he reached rock bottom and worked hard to be awesome right now
- The end
That ignores the 1 1/2 years as a rookie and sophomore were he was a strong goaltender at the NHL level. He only did poorly in his 2nd year after his injury. His third season he was at a league average starter level but superceded by Halak's brilliant 2nd half. People also ignore how for the 1st half of 09-10 Price had the better stats. Halak was only better past January and in the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:30 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
That ignores the 1 1/2 years as a rookie and sophomore were he was a strong goaltender at the NHL level. He only did poorly in his 2nd year after his injury. His third season he was at a league average starter level but superceded by Halak's brilliant 2nd half. People also ignore how for the 1st half of 09-10 Price had the better stats. Halak was only better past January and in the playoffs.
Price had an extraordinary November in 09-10.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:47 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
No, there's a comma, meaning the author means it was his first camp with the Habs, AND first after his Calder Cup win. Which shows bad research/knowledge.
Or bad writing.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote