HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Wilson + Franson's Future with the Predators

Old
05-17-2011, 12:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Do the Penguins win the Cup in 09 if Bylsma acts like Trotz would and benches Malkin in the playoffs for taking shifts off?
You conveniently ignore the fact that Malkin scored 113 points in 2008-09. He is the exception rather than the rule. Besides, there's a precedent for this sort of thing; Ryan Suter was benched in the 06 playoffs, and I would say he has turned out just fine.

Quote:
The messed up thing is no matter how much bad crap Trotz does to hurt the team and hold it back Ellis is a freaking stud and is going to step in and help out big time so it will camouflage the mediocre coaching.
I think Ellis will definitely be a welcome addition next year... in Milwaukee.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:46 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
I think the Wilson work ethic thing is kind of stupid. This high ceiling just isn't there, it wasn't at BU just because he has size and hands doesn't mean he can be like Joe Thornton and lead the NHL in assists if he busted his hump more.

The guy needs talented linemates, period. And hes a #2 center who can elevate his play at times to look like a #1 but he won't do it all season long and can't. Sad to see the self fulfilling prophecy's are underway with him. I think hes a nice 2/3 center who can step in for the #1 guy whenever and will give you 50 points a year with respectable 2 way play.
Trotz didn't bench him because he was playing like a 2nd/3rd line guy instead of a 1st liner. He benched him because he was playing like an unmotivated third line guy with painful lapses due to inexperience.

But I agree the work ethic thing is overblown. But Wilson goes games at a stretch with almost nothing on the stat sheet. Very few shots, no takeaways, no hits. Anybody with his strength can check. He doesn't get many. Because he doesn't hustle consistently enough without the puck to be in the right position for a check to be the right play. Or position to create a turnover. If the puck comes loose, then he hustles. He'll gladly hustle over to the boards to try to get a puck. I don't think he's lazy at all, I see him push in many or most of his shifts. But maybe it hasn't all clicked for him to understand how he can create offense with better defense. But he has stolen some pucks and scored, so he has it in him.

He is a skill guy. But of course he needs linemates. At BU he put up points. He has a fine shot, but he needs to get a few more garbage goals. He also could really use someone who could bury his nice feeds when he looks up from the corner or half wall. He could have 25 goals, 35 assists and 60+ points in future years fairly often. Fisher gets 45+ and Wilson has more offense, even with less speed. Hopefully he will play with skill guys next year. But we were a bit short of those types this year at the end. No Goc, a hobbled Sully.

I may be one of the few who thinks Wilson will still end up as a center. He'll be good there, except so far problems with turnovers and defensive lapses.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-17-2011 at 02:05 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
dubplatepressure

Toronto here.

This may be a little off-topic, but I'm intrigued by Franson. I read the strength/weakness review in this thread - thank you, it was helpful. Being in Toronto I'm not privy see to the talent this team has regularly.

So, to my point, it seems general opinion here is that he's somewhat expendable and for a decent offer no qualms would be had over moving him.

I'll pose a simple question then - what would be the general opinion on a return for Franson to Toronto? I think he'd make a great fit in our system.

From scouring a few threads on the boards I've seen that you guys are looking for play-now roster players, specifically forwards, and as you're prospect pool is very strong defensively there's no need to add to that.

Cheers guys.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
nhljohnson

Just curious how Predators fans would perceive a potential deal between Nashville and Tampa centered around Franson and Purcell. Something along the lines of:

Quote:
Cody Franson for Teddy Purcell + one of Brett Clark/Mike Lundin/2012 2nd round pick (TB's or PHI's)
Thoughts?

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Just curious how Predators fans would perceive a potential deal between Nashville and Tampa centered around Franson and Purcell. Something along the lines of:

Thoughts?
Seems in our favor, but doesn't exactly excite me.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Legionnaire11

Pass, 25 years old (not old, but has just now made an impact in the NHL) he scored 17 goals... and Tampa has great centers in Lecavalier and Stamkos. I can't imagine Purcell would become much more than what he is now (if he doesn't regress) with the Preds centers.

Lundin would be okay. But this deal just really doesn't seem to do a whole lot for either side.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I like watching Purcell in the play offs, but he isn't what we need. If we are going to create a second hole in our blueline we need to add to Franson in order to see a better return.

I'll have to pass.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Pass, 25 years old (not old, but has just now made an impact in the NHL) he scored 17 goals... and Tampa has great centers in Lecavalier and Stamkos. I can't imagine Purcell would become much more than what he is now (if he doesn't regress) with the Preds centers.
That's fair assessment, IMO. Purcell does have a very good wrist- and snap-shot but he generally plays with a pass-first mentality.

Quote:
Lundin would be okay. But this deal just really doesn't seem to do a whole lot for either side.
Actually, Franson does a good deal from Tampa's POV. The club needs an NHL-ready, offensively-capable right-handed shot from the point. The closest RH prospect we have is Radko Gudas who had a great debut AHL season but he projects more as a 3rd-pairing, physical pest. Franson is also cheap, at least for a season. The Lightning would have plenty of $$$ to re-allocate towards his re-signing. Also, adding one of Clark or Lundin in the package for Franson would probably ensure the return of Brewer or bringing in a a different top-4 option via UFA.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I like watching Purcell in the play offs, but he isn't what we need. If we are going to create a second hole in our blueline we need to add to Franson in order to see a better return.

I'll have to pass.
Fair enough. Just curious, as I always (very casually) root for Nashville come playoff-time and hope they are the team that's chosen to replace Winnipeg in the Southeast come re-alignment, what are Nashville's needs? What would you like to see Franson+ fetch?

Old
06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Fair enough. Just curious, as I always (very casually) root for Nashville come playoff-time and hope they are the team that's chosen to replace Winnipeg in the Southeast come re-alignment, what are Nashville's needs? What would you like to see Franson+ fetch?
Alex Goligoski brought back James Neal for the Penguins... And even though he is also a 50 point guy like Purcell, he is more of a goalscorer, which is what the Preds desperately need.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:00 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Alex Goligoski brought back James Neal for the Penguins... And even though he is also a 50 point guy like Purcell, he is more of a goalscorer, which is what the Preds desperately need.
Goligoski also fetched Niskanen as well. I don't think Franson alone would have gotten that return, but that's just my opinion. I wouldn't say Goligoski is way ahead of Franson in terms of development, but he does have a more substantial track record.

Additionally, do you expect to add goal-scoring via trade or free-agency? I see Ward and Sullivan are coming off the books; I'm assuming you'd like Ward to return for depth purposes and most of Sullivan's money will be re-allocated to Weber. No idea what the budget will look like for Poile, but I'm guessing he'll have some $$$ to play with. I may be an outsider, but I'm keenly interested to see how this shakes out.

Side note: if I was Yzerman, I'd dangle one of Connolly or Panik as part of a package to get Blum.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Blum is almost unmovable due to his instant high-level of success, cheap contract, and fantastic skill-set. With that said, if a game-breaking forward is on the table, you have to consider moving him.

nhljohnson, if yzerman put connolly on the table, I would think Poile makes that trade. He epitomizes a goal-scorer.

06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Blum is almost unmovable due to his instant high-level of success, cheap contract, and fantastic skill-set.
Absolutely. Which is why I would up the ante for him.

Quote:
With that said, if a game-breaking forward is on the table, you have to consider moving him...if yzerman put connolly on the table, I would think Poile makes that trade. He epitomizes a goal-scorer.
Well, if you and I were calling the shots, sounds like it would be a done deal.

Old
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Absolutely. Which is why I would up the ante for him.

Well, if you and I were calling the shots, sounds like it would be a done deal.
Call me crazy, but I thought Blum looked almost as good as Weber/Suter down the stretch. Not as good, but certainly closer than anyone else on our team. If he keeps getting better, even just a little, this guy could be scary. Roman Josi reaches his potential too, and we find ourselves with a terrifying top 4. The price for Blum is really, really high. I value him way higher than Colin Wilson right now (not to our team, cause we need scorers, but trade value-wise)

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:51 PM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
How about a one for one trade involving Van-Nash

Mason Raymond

For

Cody Franson

Two teams dealing from areas of strength to shore up weaknesses.

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Dont get me wrong I like Raymond and wouldnt mind having him, but he disappears often. If he was more consistent id do that trade

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
braindead

Wilson is going through the typical growing pains that young talented players find in a Trotz system that will not let talent ignore detail. Suter and Hartnell both went through it. It's the price for skipping time with the Ads. Wilson will be great given time. A trade would be insane IMO.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Dont get me wrong I like Raymond and wouldnt mind having him, but he disappears often. If he was more consistent id do that trade
I agree with you on that note, but so does Franson, they are both young, but Raymond brings speed and scoring while on a cheap contract and still a RFA after next year.

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:23 AM
SilasAdams

i would use them to get a top forward but other than that no point in moving them

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
i would use them to get a top forward but other than that no point in moving them
Exactly. Some of the offers for Franson are fine value-wise, but it makes no sense for the Preds to add a Mason Raymond. Especially if we are doing so by opening up another hole on the blueline. If we traded Franson for someone like Raymond we don't improve our forward core over last season, but we would only have a concussed Bouillon for the third pairing.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote