HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Darche is back- 1 year deal- 700K

Old
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
You're happy with mediocrity - I'm not. That's the bottom line.
Very silly statement in my opinion. We dressed 13 different defensemen last season, had suffered injuries to Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and many bottom six players, and we still got into the playoffs as the number 6 seed and took a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals to seven games, in overtime nonetheless...

This team is the opposite of "mediocre"

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:57 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I like Darche as a 4th liner...but he'll just be taking a more talented players spot in the line-up cause we know Martin will put him in the top 6.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Stop using the Gomez stats excuse, Darche is a 12/13th forward and he himself is aware of that. He's a player who knows his role and that's exactly why he's so effective.

Gomez is a 2nd liner with horrible contract that had a bad year.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
I like Darche as a 4th liner...but he'll just be taking a more talented players spot in the line-up cause we know Martin will put him in the top 6.
Martin only put him in the top 6 when every1 else was seriously underperforming. With Pacioretty and AK healthy, Darche won't see the top 6. Hopefully we can get anothertop 6 winger so we can put AK with Eller. I'd really be interested in an AK-Eller-Desharnais line or something like that.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
Very silly statement in my opinion. We dressed 13 different defensemen last season, had suffered injuries to Cammalleri, Pacioretty, Kostitsyn and many bottom six players, and we still got into the playoffs as the number 6 seed and took a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals to seven games, in overtime nonetheless...

This team is the opposite of "mediocre"
Mediocore = average. Seems to me we finished in the middle of the pack in the league last year. Tied for 14th out of 30 teams.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Happy to see him back for another year, as a 12th/13th forward.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:16 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Mediocore = average. Seems to me we finished in the middle of the pack in the league last year. Tied for 14th out of 30 teams.

So if mediocre is average, the excellent is only acceptable? Some people will never be happy...

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Dude. It's fine. If you are happy battling for the final three playoff spots going into the last 2-3 weeks of the season, then that's ok.

I would like to shoot for higher. Sorry.

If this team does not improve in overall team toughness and more importantly in 5 on 5 play, then the status quo is what you will get.
That's revisionist history.

The Habs had essentially sewn up a playoff spot far before the last 2-3 weeks. Not mathematically, but in the sense that their opponents would have to play ridiculously well while the Habs seriously stumbled to miss out. Last year the Habs had more in common with the 5 teams above them then the 4 teams below them.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Clearly, signing Darche instead of some other sub-1M 13th forward will be the difference maker for the habs next season.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
So if mediocre is average, the excellent is only acceptable? Some people will never be happy...
A Stanley Cup Finals appearance every 15 years maybe would be ok - especially with the resources at the disposal of this organization.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Clearly, signing Darche instead of some other sub-1M 13th forward will be the difference maker for the habs next season.
I get it, but if people around here are expecting Brooks Laich to come here, they are dreaming. It would basically require the team to put Gomez in the minors which we know they won't do.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
I get it, but if people around here are expecting Brooks Laich to come here, they are dreaming. It would basically require the team to put Gomez in the minors which we know they won't do.
And how is this related to Darche?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:30 AM
RNiner

Quote:
Pretty sure you're just trolling (boring day at work?), but in case you are being serious...

We lost our top defenseman, our top shutdown defenseman, our top rookie forward, etc. and still made the playoffs, and still took the Ruins to a 7th game in OT. You realize one small bounce and its US who could be in the cup finals, with the more silly Bruins fans complaining about mediocrity?
How far does Boston get without, say, Chara, Seidenberg and Marchand?

This year we'll have a full year of Max, a full year of Gorges, hopefully a full year of Markov, more depth then last year (which was still great) and possibly a very tough customer in Yemelin on D. We could still sign a decent top 6 option from UFA as well. Even with just our returning players, we'll be a good team.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
elsubz

Love it! every team needs a guy like him.

Now if you wanna rage a little read this feedback

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/talkbacks/321039/485272.html

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Hell yeah I do! They're still playing right now, we're not... They started the playoffs witha healthy line-up, we didn't... They have big tough players to help their talent, we don't. Don't be such a homer, Boston has a GREAT team with a very bright future.

Emelin is not a Habs version Komisarek like you describe him and Kostitsyn leading in his simply means we need help.
The only one that seems to be a homer is you, over Boston.
Ya, they have a bright future, so does Edmonton, so? How does this mean our future isn't good? Right, because the grass is always greener elsewhere. Who cares about having Price and PK, really, nothing special there. Who cares about having Markov, one of the best Dman in the NHL, he's been injured a lot, so scratch him off right? Who cares about MaxPac, just a semi-decent prospect right?..
Our future isn't too bright, rather bleak and cloudy.
I never said Emelin is the next Komi. I said he can bring some physicality like Komi did. Ya AK leading in hits might not be ideal to you, but that's irrelevant. You don't win hockey games by hitting.
The bruins are still in the POs despite not being the better team in each series. They didn't outplay us nor did they outplay TB, and they aren't outplaying th Nucks either. It's all about Thomas playing well above his head.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Glad Darche's back, good utility player, great attitude.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Glad to see Darche coming back. Typically, if trying to find the Habs 'value for money' player then in past years it tended to be Gorges but last year Darche was excellent value. And as long as he continues to play like he has done for us, next year shouldn't be much different with that contract. Good veteran presence who can play a lesser role without complaint and can be a stop gap measure in a bigger role when injuries or wake up calls occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Emelin is not a Habs version Komisarek like you describe him and Kostitsyn leading in his simply means we need help.
That's one way to look at the teams physical play overall, but even if we had 'help' in the form of a Clutterbuck, T.Ruutu or similar, do you think they would be encouraged by Martin to run around as much? Or would he expect/demand a few less hits in exchange for better positioning? The other issue with that is that we are already one of the most penalised teams in the league. Adding such a player may, knowing our luck, result in an extra 20 penalty kills a year.

But it would be nice to have a bit more physicality somewhere in our lineup. If you compare the top hitters of all the teams in the past season, 28 teams had someone with more hits than AK. The only team leader in hits with less than AK was Garrison in Florida (imagine that, less hits with an entire Garrison). A bunch of teams (Thrashers, Sabres, Devils, Isles, Sens, Blues, Bolts and Canucks) only had one player with more hits than AK. Some of them were way ahead (Isles-Martin-299, Sens-Neil-258, Blues-Backes-213) but the rest were within 30 hits at most, with most of the rest within 14). 4 teams had 2 players with more hits, 7 teams had 3 players with more and 4 teams had 4 players with more hits. Canes/Stars had 5, Jackets had 6 and Pens/Rags had 7. Obviously, hitting stats are recorded differently around the league but just as a rough look at the numbers, it's interesting to see how teams vary. If anyone wants to see the full list of teams/players who outhit us, let me know and I'll post them up.

Of the Eastern teams, 1 team had a hit leader with less, 5 of their hit leaders were within 30 hits of AK, the others weren't. With next year in mind, it doesn't look like we are going to have a lot of new additions to change such figures for us so we need the guys we have to make the difference. So come next season, hopefully AK can play the body even more, Patches can stay healthy the year and put up similar totals, Moen can have a one of his better years and get back up around 160 and PK with an extra year of experience can get close. That gives us some more physicality and depth in that regard too, but it would be nice to have someone to throw on the 3rd/4th line who can play a little, hit a lot and maybe fight a bit too IMO. If not and Pouliot returns, his hit totals were good (by the standard of our team) so maybe he can improve on that and use his frame to good effect.

Maxpac - I expect you are hoping for more than that but within the structure of the system we play with the players we have (or will likely have) it seems any improvements may have to be made in small steps at first.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:42 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Happy to see him back for another year, as a 12th/13th forward.
Why do you guys keep calling him 12/13th forward. When we all know that JM will play him on the pp and with Gomez and Gionta ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The only one that seems to be a homer is you, over Boston.
Ya, they have a bright future, so does Edmonton, so? How does this mean our future isn't good? Right, because the grass is always greener elsewhere. Who cares about having Price and PK, really, nothing special there. Who cares about having Markov, one of the best Dman in the NHL, he's been injured a lot, so scratch him off right? Who cares about MaxPac, just a semi-decent prospect right?..
Our future isn't too bright, rather bleak and cloudy.
I never said Emelin is the next Komi. I said he can bring some physicality like Komi did. Ya AK leading in hits might not be ideal to you, but that's irrelevant. You don't win hockey games by hitting.
The bruins are still in the POs despite not being the better team in each series. They didn't outplay us nor did they outplay TB, and they aren't outplaying th Nucks either. It's all about Thomas playing well above his head.
??? They could had swept the series 4-0 by now...and they're not outplaying the Canucks ???

They were lucky to beat the Habs and TB, I agree, though.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesWithMom View Post
Why do you guys keep calling him 12/13th forward. When we all know that JM will play him on the pp and with Gomez and Gionta ?
He is the only one that takes a beating to stand in front of the net, did you ever think of that's the reason he is out there? You want Martin to send Cammalleri or Gionta or Plekanec in front of the net and take a beating? We get that you don't like him, Darche is far from being a distraction to this hockey team and for that money is a solid addition IMO

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
LyleOdelein

Some people are making too much of Darche's PP stints. It's certainly not like he was a fixture when there were other options.

Powerplay time on ice/game by Habs wingers:

Cammalleri - 3:06
Gionta - 2:53
Pacioretty - 2:23
AKost - 2:16
Desharnais (often lined up at wing because of Pleks/Gomez) - 1:54
Darche - 1:22
Pouliot - 0:48

The skilled guys (with the exception of Pouliot... which I won't go into) bear the burden of PP duties and Darche is a support/replacement player in instances of slumps/injuries.

As far as overall ice time, the only regulars that Darche got less time than Darche were Eller and Pyatt. At 11:16 TOI/game on an injury riddled team, I'd say Martin played him as a fourth liner and a support player.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Love it! every team needs a guy like him.

Now if you wanna rage a little read this feedback

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/talkbacks/321039/485272.html
Rofl, "the guy has no choice to sign with a wife and children!". Ya... it's going to take me about 8 years to make the salary he made last year, I'm sure he would've manage even if he didn't find a contract.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Some posters show their true colors in this thread.

CareyClutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesWithMom View Post
First you know as well as anyone else that Darche is not going to be on the top lines to start the year with a healthy lineup.

Second, if he's able to step up and play a top 6 role for a few games here and there due to injury that's far from a bad thing. Especially at 700K.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Laraque runs marathons???
thats not all,rumour is after seing donald brashear's first MMA fight and a win in 21 seconds Laraque called up GSP for some trainning

and for Darche hell yeahhh was hoping he would get a contract love the guy

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote