HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Bryz negotiation rights traded to the Philadelphia Flyers

Old
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGOTC View Post
I'd say it was $7mil+. Maloney said that it was more likely that he got a spaceship and flew himself to the moon than Bryz got what he was asking for.
Are those literally his words? If so they seem to have a bit of a bridge burning tone to them IMO.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:48 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Are those literally his words? If so they seem to have a bit of a bridge burning tone to them IMO.
No, he said a rocket and didn't specify the terms or price.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Maloney made it clear that he felt Bryzagalovs's demands delusional and felt any team willing to pony up foolish. He did make the rocket who to the moon comment. He also said he wouldn't have met Bryzgalov's demands if the team were owned by Bill Gates.

I really like Don Maloney. He might be my favorite Coyote of all time.

You really should listen to the pod cast. It's worth it.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Between Maloney, Tippett, and Doan, the Coyotes have a fantastic leadership group. Because of the ongoing ownership issues, they could not resign key free agents last year, and it looks like they are going to bleed players this year. Instead of building on success, they have to rob Peter to pay Paul. In an ideal world, I would like them to remain in Phoenix, get a stable ownership group, and for once put their focus on the ice rather than off it. Yet a part of me almost wants them to move, just so that the endless rumours would be over. No good will come in the short term from NHL ownership. Long term . . .

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:38 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Between Maloney, Tippett, and Doan, the Coyotes have a fantastic leadership group. Because of the ongoing ownership issues, they could not resign key free agents last year, and it looks like they are going to bleed players this year. Instead of building on success, they have to rob Peter to pay Paul. In an ideal world, I would like them to remain in Phoenix, get a stable ownership group, and for once put their focus on the ice rather than off it. Yet a part of me almost wants them to move, just so that the endless rumours would be over. No good will come in the short term from NHL ownership. Long term . . .
Looks at avatar and

We're going to bleed players this year? Who? Bryz is already gone. Yandle is going nowhere, and out next most important UFA is Radim freaking Vrbata. How many times has he proved that he's incapable of playing effective hockey outside of this organization? He doesn't strike me as a particulary dumb fellow, and I'm sure he'll be back if both sides have any interest in his potential return. Jovo? So long, and good luck. Thanks for all that great budget room. No real loss, there. Fiddler? Downright terrible in the first Detroit series and downright invisible in the second. Good riddance.

Our two biggest issues last year were the PP and the PK. We were in the bottom five in the league in both categories last season. Five on five goals for versus against, though, we ranked in the top five on the NHL.

So far this summer we've replaced Andrew Ebbett with Patteri Nokelainen. Also, we added a great PKer in Klesla at the deadline. That PK is already looking up in a big way. We could certainly use some more help, however. Fortunately, PK help isn't generally all that hard to find or all that expensive to acquire.

The growth and maturation of OEL, Turris, Boedker and Yandle should certainly help the PP a bit. We could definitely use some help. The good news is we now have a ton of extra budget space with which to address it.

Yes it's true, we have added a significant problem this summer. No doubt about it; losing Bryzgalov is a huge concern. I can't help but feel, though, if we can replace him with Evgeni Nabokov and his five hundred kay salary, we will end up better off. Nabby was elite a year ago. He's not that old, being less than a year older than the highly coveted Vokoun, and he's hungry to prove himself again. We're talking about a guy that two years ago would've been unanimously favored over Bryz. For four million dollars less than we paid Bryz last season. If we can find some way to magically get this done, we could easily end up with the best team of the last three years.

Am I counting on it? Hell no. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:36 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...er-search.html

Phoenix Coyotes' GM Don Maloney says 3 roads exist in goaltender search

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Tom Polakis
W-L-W-L-W-L...

I keep coming back to looking at save percentage, and wondering how much a top-10 goalie like Bryz is really worth. With a .921 save percentage, he let in 168 goals on 2125 shots. Now work your way down the list to some middling starting goalie like, say, Jose Theodore, his save percentage is .916. Apply that number to 2125 shots, and he lets in 179 goals, or 11 more goals than Bryz let in. That may result in several more losses over the course of the season. I'm not saying that we should make LaBarbera the starter, but perhaps Maloney is correct in his notion that we can get a very decent starting goalie for $4M to $5M.

The 68 games Bryz played in might be an important stat, however. Whoever replaces Bryz, I get the feeling we will be seeing more of LaBarbera than we want to see next season.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Looks at avatar and

We're going to bleed players this year? Who? Bryz is already gone. Yandle is going nowhere, and out next most important UFA is Radim freaking Vrbata. How many times has he proved that he's incapable of playing effective hockey outside of this organization? He doesn't strike me as a particulary dumb fellow, and I'm sure he'll be back if both sides have any interest in his potential return. Jovo? So long, and good luck. Thanks for all that great budget room. No real loss, there. Fiddler? Downright terrible in the first Detroit series and downright invisible in the second. Good riddance.

Our two biggest issues last year were the PP and the PK. We were in the bottom five in the league in both categories last season. Five on five goals for versus against, though, we ranked in the top five on the NHL.

So far this summer we've replaced Andrew Ebbett with Patteri Nokelainen. Also, we added a great PKer in Klesla at the deadline. That PK is already looking up in a big way. We could certainly use some more help, however. Fortunately, PK help isn't generally all that hard to find or all that expensive to acquire.

The growth and maturation of OEL, Turris, Boedker and Yandle should certainly help the PP a bit. We could definitely use some help. The good news is we now have a ton of extra budget space with which to address it.

Yes it's true, we have added a significant problem this summer. No doubt about it; losing Bryzgalov is a huge concern. I can't help but feel, though, if we can replace him with Evgeni Nabokov and his five hundred kay salary, we will end up better off. Nabby was elite a year ago. He's not that old, being less than a year older than the highly coveted Vokoun, and he's hungry to prove himself again. We're talking about a guy that two years ago would've been unanimously favored over Bryz. For four million dollars less than we paid Bryz last season. If we can find some way to magically get this done, we could easily end up with the best team of the last three years.

Am I counting on it? Hell no. Do I think it's possible? Absolutely.
I would call the loss of Ilya Bryzgalov, the teamís most valuable player and primary reason they made the playoffs the past two seasons, as a haemorrhage. Fiddler, Vrbata, Jovanovski, and Belanger are all important unrestricted free agents. And we have plenty of restricted free agents, topped by Yandle and Turris.

One of the major reasons for the drop in our defensive play was the loss of Michelek to Pittsburgh.

The good news is that there are plenty of quality goaltenders on the market. Mike Smith would be my preference, because of his age, but Vokoun, Roloson, Osgood, Turco, Budaj, Hedberg, Giguere, Lalime, Leclaire, are all available as UFAs. Then there are guys like Nabokov or Schneider who could be traded for. The benefit of Schneider is that the Canucks have limited cap space and some key players to resign, especially in light of a Presidentís Trophy / Stanley Cup Finals run. So they wouldnít want contracts going back.

LaBarbara was good insurance, though they might have acted too soon. If they could get a Schneider / Smith combo, with them both hungry for the number one job, itíd propel them both to greater things, and help cover for some of the uh, deficiencies, we have that Bryzgalov was so good at hiding.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...er-search.html

Phoenix Coyotes' GM Don Maloney says 3 roads exist in goaltender search
This is basically what we've been talking about, but there is a third group that we haven't talked about as much.

1) Young goalie via trade like Schneider, Smith, Varlamnov/Neuvirth.
2) Proven veteran via UFA like Vokoun, Roloson, Giguere, Theodore, Turco etc.
3) Proven goalie via trade like Nabakov or Khabibulin perhaps? This is the one are we have no explored as much and it made me start to second guess who might be available out there.

I think each option is an interesting one to consider. I prefer option 2 & 3 as a short term approach because I am guessing they will be the cheapest to acquire. There is the four headed monster in Turris, Boedker, MacLean and Tikhonov all losing waiver eligibility this year, so I could easily see two of them being dangled in a trade for someone like Schneider. I would just hope it's the last two named and not the first two.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:36 PM
PhoPhan

I'm guessing the three roads would be:

a) Trade for a goalie within the NHL (be it Rask or Khabibulin)
b) Sign a UFA goalie
c) Bring one in from oversees (Fasth, et al)

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:46 PM
zerekstar

I agree somewhat with Todd Walsh. Bryz never proved himself in the playoffs for us and who's to say he ever would? If we would have paid him 7 Million a year, we would need to know he can get it done. I would have liked to see him steal a game or two like most stanley cup champion goalies do but that never happened.

Some of the criticism may have seemed harsh but I can remember how critical Bryz was toward Boedker, Turris, and Tikinov the year they were sent down. I thought he was being a little too cocky for his own good then.

I did hear mention that Emery may be a good, afordable possibility and I would be all for that. Barbs too, IMO, played well last year and should be given more opportunity this year. Maybe even use a two goalie system like the Oilers did in their hay day.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:26 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
I agree somewhat with Todd Walsh. Bryz never proved himself in the playoffs for us and who's to say he ever would?
Such a huge difference between Bryzgalov's playoff stats as a Duck and as a Coyote, isn't there? He had a pretty good team in front of him in Anaheim, with two of the best defensemen in the league at the time. After the last two years, you wonder how much that had to do with his stats.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
crazyhockeylover96

http://coyotes.nhl.com/

In the DM video interview, he said the conditional draft pick would be ours only if Bryz signs with Phili before 01 July. Guess that's not happening.

Edit: Oops, I was thinking draft and typed 01 July. My bad.

Last edited by crazyhockeylover96: 06-12-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Brain fart
crazyhockeylover96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhockeylover96 View Post
http://coyotes.nhl.com/

In the DM video interview, he said the conditional draft pick would be ours only if Bryz signs with Phili before 01 July. Guess that's not happening.
That's not what he said. He said, "...if he's signed by the Flyers prior to the entry draft we get another draft pick for this year's draft. So all in all we could end up with two draft assets which we'll use to help our team get better."

So it sounds like we only get the conditional pick if he signs before June 24th.

What I think he might have been B.S.ing a little is when he talked about the difference between a top 5 and a top 25 goalie. He was talking about how there's not much of a difference in quality between goalies ranked there and how with the system and coaching the Yotes can make a good goalie look great (similar to his radio interview discussion of Nashville's system). If you really believed that you wouldn't have even thought about paying Bryz $6M. In fact, you would never pay your tender top dollars because you could always get roughly the same quality of goalie for less money. That's kind of been Detroit's philosophy for a while, but it wasn't the Rangers and it looks like it's no longer the Flyers' either.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:57 AM
kingbrutis

Well the Caps have 3 young good goalies. I would think Varly would be traded. Do you think he would fit with Burke's coaching?

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Well the Caps have 3 young good goalies. I would think Varly would be traded. Do you think he would fit with Burke's coaching?
I wouldn't trust Varlamov with the starting goalie position, maybe backup, now if they are willing to trade Neuvirth ($1.15MIL-2 years)...

Old
06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I wouldn't trust Varlamov with the starting goalie position, maybe backup, now if they are willing to trade Neuvirth ($1.15MIL-2 years)...
Neuvirth & Holtby are still under control, whereas Varlamov is a RFA come July 1st. Why wouldn't you trust Varlamov as a starter. Look at Bryz at the time he was waived from Anaheim vs. Varlamov right now.

Bryz as backup

05/06 31GP 13-12-1 2.51GAA .910S%
06/07 27GP 10-8-6 2.47GAA .907S%
Playoff games: 16

Varlamov:

09/10 26GP 15-4-6 2.55GAA .909S%
10/11 27GP 11-9-5 2.23GAA .924S%
Playoff games: 19

Varlamov did that nearly 4 years younger than Bryz. Bryz is listed at 6'3" 210lbs & Varlamov is listed as 6'2" 209lbs, so basically the same in size, which is something Maloney spoke to on the radio interview a couple of days ago regarding Burke's preferences. I think Varlamov might be the best bet considering the assets it will take to acquire other guys like Bernier or Schneider.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Neuvirth & Holtby are still under control, whereas Varlamov is a RFA come July 1st. Why wouldn't you trust Varlamov as a starter. Look at Bryz at the time he was waived from Anaheim vs. Varlamov right now.

Bryz as backup

05/06 31GP 13-12-1 2.51GAA .910S%
06/07 27GP 10-8-6 2.47GAA .907S%
Playoff games: 16

Varlamov:

09/10 26GP 15-4-6 2.55GAA .909S%
10/11 27GP 11-9-5 2.23GAA .924S%
Playoff games: 19

Varlamov did that nearly 4 years younger than Bryz. Bryz is listed at 6'3" 210lbs & Varlamov is listed as 6'2" 209lbs, so basically the same in size, which is something Maloney spoke to on the radio interview a couple of days ago regarding Burke's preferences. I think Varlamov might be the best bet considering the assets it will take to acquire other guys like Bernier or Schneider.
Last season a groin injury, lower back, then knee plus RFA status, prefer a goalie already under contract and 1 that has a better health status. If Varlamov gets hurt then what????

Old
06-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Last season a groin injury, lower back, then knee plus RFA status, prefer a goalie already under contract and 1 that has a better health status. If Varlamov gets hurt then what????
It's a risk, but it's also the reason he may be available at a more modest cost. Best case scenario, you get a young potential #1 goalie with size that can pick up the torch where Bryz left off. Worst case, he gets hurt but we don't sell the farm to acquire him and have pieces left over to scour the trade market at that time. Either way, the bad thing is we have Labarbera, who can neither pick up the pieces nor push the young guy.