HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs re-sign Andrei Kostitsyn 1 year/3.25M

Old
06-10-2011, 12:46 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
care to explain why or should i just chalk it up to being a hater?
How could you not like Darche Vader?? The guy is like a swiss army knife, great utility player and super cheap to boot.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
How could you not like Darche Vader?? The guy is like a swiss army knife, great utility player and super cheap to boot.
exactly!

i honestly don't see a rational, logical reason why somebody doesn't want him back...

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
tinyzombies

I like the Darche signing. Really no other option to Titsyn out there, so I'm glad it's short-term for low money. He'll fill the gap until a real top 6 winger breaks out. Nice job all-around by PG.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
This.
Would be sweet, but honestly I don't think it will happen. I think that the plan is this off season building a strong backend and then I think at the start of the season they will try with what we have and that some of the younger players step up their game and if it doesn't doesn't work out they will go and acquire a new top 6 forward and trading a disapointment.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Would be sweet, but honestly I don't think it will happen. I think that the plan is this off season building a strong backend and then I think at the start of the season they will try with what we have and that some of the younger players step up their game and if it doesn't doesn't work out they will go and acquire a new top 6 forward and trading a disapointment.
It would once again be very disappointing as the team was one of the worse offensive teams in the league. Granted, I don't think that it's as much player-personnel as much as coaching.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:54 PM
SherbrookeW

AK is a gifted player, still young, lots of upside. On a team with a less responsible defensive system, he'd score forty goals some year. It's a shame that he isn't Malkin, which people dreamed he might become when he was drafted. But he's good, and might get better if played consistently with Pleks and , above all, asked to do what he's good at doing. As to the notion that he's soft, or only shows up occasionally: please-- anytime you see the Habs live, he's always the most physically intense forward out there.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

I think it's ironic to expect Gauthier to be more frugal frugal in the signing of AKost when Pacioretty and Gionta will be expected to serve as bread for a minnow sandwich. For that money Gauthier could buy a boatload of large, tasty fish. That. my friends, is probably the single greatest barrier to a more successful season. Every team that made the playoffs could boast of a much more productive second line center. Heck, many non-playoff teams could make the same boast.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
exactly!

i honestly don't see a rational, logical reason why somebody doesn't want him back...
can't skate, can't hit, not physical, soft... good to play in Europe somewhere, but very replaceable in NHL.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Bah, I still hope Gauthier acquires a top 6 forward, one that shows up every night
No offense but I'm tired with people always associating every AK thread with work ethic or effort.

There's probably 5 top 6 players in the entire league that shows up every nights.. We don't watch every games of every other teams so we don't see their "off" games. You guys talk like Andrei is the only guy that have off games in a season. I've read on the main board that players like Getzlaf or Eric Staal doesn't give their best every games while being the captain of their teams. I said 5 players but I'm not even sure if there's really 5. Even Gio had his off games this season.

Its funny that Habsterix agrees with your post... because earlier this year, he's the one that wanted Dustin Penner in our team.. one of the laziest top 6 player in the NHL..

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

/rant

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:19 PM
andy28

Quote:
exactly!

He works like a horse for under a million, and he seems like a really great guy with an excellent attitude. Does whatever the coach asks, no drama.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:23 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
can't skate, can't hit, not physical, soft... good to play in Europe somewhere, but very replaceable in NHL.
He is replaceable. You can find other guys just like him. But I do not find Darche soft at all. I think he is one of our tougher players. Not aggressive, but he can take the heat along the boards behind the net. When you don't want to play him he is scratchable. And as for the other Darches we can replace him with, why not just keep the Darche we have.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Stradale

Quote:
I usually agree with you but not so much this time.

I was thinking like you actually, for most part of the season, but I've gained a lot of respects for Darche. He's like our Hal Gill but in offense. He's not particularly good in anything but still an honest player, liked in the lockeroom and always give you what you expect from him.

That said, since Darche is a 4th line player and most of our top 6 are very small, I would rather have a bigger guy, more aggresive/tough to balance out our lack of toughness in the top 6.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Yet despite not being fast enough he's still the first that goes to the net and despite being soft he's willing to take a beating to get an ugly goal. I agree he's not very talented, but there aren't many other players on this team willing to drive the net and pay the price like he is. The amazing thing is he is willing to do more than any other player while being paid the least on the team.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
sammy d

I've been waiting for people to say this if he was signed.

Yah but he will have a breakout year this year and score 30 goals. He'll never score 30 goals, he is what he is, a 20-25 goal scorer who will disappear for 10 games at a time at least twice a season.

The problem with signing him and Darche and any else from last year is its at best its status quo, how are we going to get better? Sure with George and Markov playing all year we could be slightly better, but its not enough. Keeping the majority from last year means the only way we can improve significantly is that a majority of players have career years, not going to happen. We need new blood, 1 or 2 changes means we fight for a playoff spot again.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post

Yah but he will have a breakout year this year and score 30 goals. He'll never score 30 goals, he is what he is, a 20-25 goal scorer who will disappear for 10 games at a time at least twice a season.

The problem with signing him and Darche and any else from last year is its at best its status quo, how are we going to get better? Sure with George and Markov playing all year we could be slightly better, but its not enough. Keeping the majority from last year means the only way we can improve significantly is that a majority of players have career years, not going to happen. We need new blood, 1 or 2 changes means we fight for a playoff spot again.
There's such a thing as improvement from within.

Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Subban, Desharnais, Gorges... All young guys who still have untapped potential to varying degrees.

Not to mention the team will probably have between 4 and 5M to spend on the free agent market once all the rfas + Markov are signed, and trades are always an option.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
He is replaceable. You can find other guys just like him. But I do not find Darche soft at all. I think he is one of our tougher players. Not aggressive, but he can take the heat along the boards behind the net. When you don't want to play him he is scratchable. And as for the other Darches we can replace him with, why not just keep the Darche we have.
Oh, he's definitely replaceable. Trouble is, PG doesn't want to spend $7.75M.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Although I disagree on some of the other comments, I can see some base for them, but to call Darche soft is like

Are you for real? He's the exact opposite of soft

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:51 AM
sampollock

i figured that they would move him, but that is why PG is the gm, and not me

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post

I was waiting for some people to say that so I could tell them that life is not static. Life is cycles and adaptation. You can't predict the future solely based on the past. AK is only 26. He could go up, he could go down, he could remain the same, but saying he'll never be a 30 goal scorer is as foolish as those who believe it's set in stone that he will score 30.

BTW, if Markov and Subban play the whole season, we aren't talking of a status-quo, but an entirely new situation.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I like the Darche signing. Really no other option to Titsyn out there, so I'm glad it's short-term for low money. He'll fill the gap until a real top 6 winger breaks out. Nice job all-around by PG.
4th in scoring last season and a point behind (with a game less) than Gionta. While Cammalleri played 14 games less and scored 2 points more, I think we can forgive A.K. for not lighting it up because at least on several occasions, I could see that players feared getting hit by him. All that with on average, 4-5 minutes less ice time than the other top 3 players. Also, a positive +/-.

Put frankly, he is a top 6 and a good one at that.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:30 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Not a bad deal for both sides. Its going to be a pivotal year for him, I hope he proves the haters wrong. Sadly I could see him trying the FA market afterwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19
To me AK was top-3 in the last two months of the season and during the PO.
At this pace, we are looking at 30+ goals.

Good job PG.

Let's see how he does next season...
Yeah this is the year AK breaks 30 goals. Unless Martin decides to throw him in the dog house or insists on playing him with Gomez of course

Imho its logical that the Habs get a better year offensively, especially with a healthy Markov (who makes everyone look better).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:44 AM
neofury*

PLEASE DO NOT RE-SIGN A GUY WHO PUT UP 0.5PPG AND MAKES LESS THAN 750k!!

Whenever I open this thread now at the top I keep reading this

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The only way to get the best out of Andrei Kostitsyn is if you tell him to do what he wants with the puck on his stick. Let him be creative, let him be flashy and let him take offensive risks. As long as he plays with defensively responsible line-mates (Plekanec as center), he should be okay.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
gillyguzzler

I'd really like for Jacques Martin to play Pouliot, Eller and AK together to start the season, to keep them together for at least 10-15 games, to give them at least 15 minutes a game and some PP time together.

As a 3rd line, they should score at least 50 goals, possibly over 60 if they are kept together and are give decent ice time.

Unfortunately, I don't see JM giving them that vote of confidence.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The only way to get the best out of Andrei Kostitsyn is if you tell him to do what he wants with the puck on his stick. Let him be creative, let him be flashy and let him take offensive risks. As long as he plays with defensively responsible line-mates (Plekanec as center), he should be okay.
Doing that would be a recipe for disaster last year. Cammaleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn was used as a shutdown line for most of the year, facing the best players the other teams had. They were really good at it too, which is reflected by their positive +/- despite having one of the toughest line assignments in the league. The comparable's being Marleau-Thorton-Heatley, Bickell-Bolland-Pisani and Callahan-Dubinsky-Anisemov as the league's top tough minute lines.

Throwing away all the work that went into making Kostitsyn a two-way player just to see him dipsy-doodle again at this point is asinine.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote