HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much confidence do you have in Stepan & Anisimov?

View Poll Results: Confidence in Stepan being a good #1 center
10-30% 12 11.54%
30-50% 21 20.19%
50-70% 37 35.58%
70-90% 23 22.12%
90% + 11 10.58%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
I don't believe Stepan will reach anywhere near that if he doesn't improve his skating.

Imagine what he could do if he were an above average skater.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
We need another goal scorer outside Gaborik. Balanced offense throughout 3 lines isn;t a check just yet, IMO.
We need another physical forward with grit and skill. Id love a guy like Lucic or Marchand. Not another small finesse non physical forward.

Could Gaborik last in a 7 game series vs Chara Seidenberg McQuaid Bieksa or Hamuis. Really doubt it.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't really like the question/poll. I think the world of both Stepan and Anisimov. Both will be very good players for a long time, but I don't think either is the answer to be a first line center on a cup contending team.

In the case of the Bruins that the OP brings up, you're right, they don't have that center (well, they do, but Savard is injured). But they have arguably the best goalie (yes, so do we) PLUS arguably the best defenseman in the league, Chara. So they are balanced, but their blueline group is among the league's best (yes, so is ours, but Staal is not Chara).

I see the point OP is trying to make, but I don't think it necessarily works. The Rangers need an elite puck distributor and playmaker.
This may be one of the most positive posts i've seen you write, Sting.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:54 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

I like Stepan more than I do Anisimov.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
We need another physical forward with grit and skill. Id love a guy like Lucic or Marchand. Not another small finesse non physical forward.

Could Gaborik last in a 7 game series vs Chara Seidenberg McQuaid Bieksa or Hamuis. Really doubt it.
Dustin Penner?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Dustin Penner?
another big body that is lazy and no thanks. this is why im glad the Rangers didnt get Blake Wheeler.
19 games 2 goals for Penner after Kings dealt for him, he would be Frolov all over again

guys rangers should target: Wayne Simmonds, Ryan Malone or Ryan Clowe or David Backes Troy Brouwer

Old
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
another big body that is lazy and no thanks. this is why im glad the Rangers didnt get Blake Wheeler.
19 games 2 goals for Penner after Kings dealt for him, he would be Frolov all over again

guys rangers should target: Wayne Simmonds, Ryan Malone or Ryan Clowe or David Backes Troy Brouwer
Wayne Simmonds isn't going anywhere. Neither is Ryan Clowe. David Backes just resigned with St Louis-- so good luck with that one.

I can name all these great names too but 90% of them aren't realistic because they won't be available.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:13 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Wayne Simmonds? Again with him? Guy's going to be a marginal 2nd liner at best. He's redundant.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Seriously. Where has this love affair with Simmonds come from?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Loffen did make a highlight vid!

Old
06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Dustin Penner?
Oh dear god no, he's a horror show.

Scottie Upshall is a UFA and I doubt broke Columbus is offering him a new contract. He's no smaller than Callahan or Avery can put the puck in the net, will probably come cheap, and can play an aggressive forecheck.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
satrabyk

Depends if were looking to contend now or in a few years. We all know we have deep prospect pool and Stepan is a guy with some potential, but to be successfull next year for exp do u really think Steps is ready to take the number 1 centermen role because that is what we need. I like AA as a 2nd to 3rd line role as i dont see him ever playing 1st line, which is fine. Weneed A guy who can consistently carry the load, create plays 5 on 5 and on the PP and make others around him better. That is a lot to ask of him and we dont even kno if that is in Steps genes from what ive seen so far. We need talent and creativity and a power forward would not hurt either(if Boyle could be moved to wing and give that a try, but he need to work on his boards play for his big body, as i saw some good flashes in the Playoffs. Anyway i think a center that can create is essential at this point.

Plus every team is different, systems in Boston are different than here. We want to play more rush game and less sitting back than u need a guy to be able to capatilize on those rushes which we dont have consistently right now. Richards def fits that role but i want jump on the bandwagon just yet.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Scottie Upshall is a UFA and I doubt broke Columbus is offering him a new contract. He's no smaller than Callahan or Avery can put the puck in the net, will probably come cheap, and can play an aggressive forecheck.
Great idea i would love Upshall in a Ranger jersey.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post

Columbus isn't the only one who wouldn't offer him a contract. Have you ever looked at this guys health history and numbers? No to Penner or Upshall.

Get me Cole if that's the mold we're going after.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Looks like 70% of the people here think he has a better than 50-50 chance of being a first liner.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Yuck

I have a lot of confidence in both to be more than what we've seen so far. I believe Stepan is the better playmaker and can really shine on the first line with top tier talent after a little seasoning -- maybe even as soon as next year. I think he potentially "fits" better on the first line with two elite wingers even though I don't think hes an elite player himself -- first line yes, elite no.

Anisimov on the other hand has more potential to be a gamebreaker. He has a lot of talent, he has the size, and he has that instinct to drive to the net. He just needs more consistency which I'm confident will come over time.

Yuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:53 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

Andrew Ladd.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
The two will be very good NHL players, but neither will be the big time #1C that we so desperately need.
pretty much. Both will be very solid 2nd line Cs but we need a legit top C to go to the next level

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Anisimov probably won't get that much better. I see him taking a step forward next year, and after that, it will probably just be better plays from more confidence and more experience, but not because his skill level is improving.

He will settle in as a player who scores 50-60 points per season while being good defensively. That's good for top-6, but good for a first liner.

I have a lot more confidence in Step. He will be getting 70-80 points per season with decent wingers, more than that with two elite guys.

His passing and his ability to see the ice is unbelievable, he just did not take chances in his rookie season to avoid mistakes.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Andrew Ladd.
id love Ladd but it will send a bad message for the new owners if Ladd doesnt resign. i think they will do whatever it takes to sign him.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Yellot00tr

just said in the other thread that i seriously doubt that Stepan will be a top flight #1 center scoring 90 points like someone over there mentioned. if he's a good #2 and puts up 60-65 points, i think we would all be very happy. i was hoping that he'd be as good as Mike Ribiero (yes, they're very different players, but they're similar in terms of size) or at best, Eric Staal, but there's no way that he'll be as good as Stamkos or Sedin.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:06 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
To be a top team in the league you need to be average to above average in all 3 areas.

Teams like DET, PIT, CHI, VAN/BOS all are average to above average in all 3 areas.

With Richards and an assumed top-line LW the Rangers would possibly have an above average forward group. We'd have 3 very good offensive lines and a fourth line who can chip in.

Our defense is already one of the best shut down cores in the league and they're still very young.

And of course we have one of the best goalies in the world.

That would put us above average in all 3 categories, safety to safety a top 5-10 team in the league imo.
Good post. This Ranger team is very close. Actually, I think they are very similar to Boston and may have more overall depth and talent. Thomas is playing great in the playoffs to get them this far.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:20 AM
NYRangers16

We have everything you'd want except offensive skill. Get that, and we are cup contenders.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
bernmeister

Voted 30%, question focuses only on Stepan.

Stepan has some intangibles, needs to get bigger develop.
Anisimov showing already he can do it, just needs now to develop further and excel.

Try to keep both.
If one must go for a great deal, AA is the keeper.
Don't think if they grow equally that will change ...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:31 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

both are still in their early 20's. 3rd year is usually the season the returns start to come in, so we will get a get a better feel for AA during the upcoming year
as for step i thought he had a hard time following up that hattrick in the 1st game and it took a while for him to start scoring again, i'm kind of hoping he doesnt pull a dz, who also came out sharp then had a hard 2nd year.
i like both of them but im partial to all of our prospects. Can one become a #1 C I think maybe either one can, depend on linemates, (Cally and Dubi come to mind) and drive of both players under torts

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote