HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patty O'Sullivan Sighting last night

Old
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Houstonoiler19

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Houstonoiler19
Patty O'Sullivan Sighting last night

Was at the Houston Aeros Vs Binghampton Senators game last night. POS looked just like he did in Edmonton totally disintrested! You could tell he wasnt happy to be there just by the way he would come over the bench. He seems to have such a bad attitude like he has some god given right to be on the ice. His Ice time for the first half was reallty light! But also seemed like mostly power play time at that. He had one nice play that turned into him on a partial breakaway but was stopped. I really liked him when Oilers signed him but man what a waste of talent.

Ryan Potulny looked great all night caused the turn over for the game winning goal! He was a nice surprise player last year and he will get back into the show. Nice to see him lift up the trophy though!

Cheers

Houstonoiler19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Easily the worst initials in the game, and aptly descriptive too...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonoiler19 View Post
Was at the Houston Aeros Vs Binghampton Senators game last night. POS looked just like he did in Edmonton totally disintrested! You could tell he wasnt happy to be there just by the way he would come over the bench. He seems to have such a bad attitude like he has some god given right to be on the ice. His Ice time for the first half was reallty light! But also seemed like mostly power play time at that. He had one nice play that turned into him on a partial breakaway but was stopped. I really liked him when Oilers signed him but man what a waste of talent.

Ryan Potulny looked great all night caused the turn over for the game winning goal! He was a nice surprise player last year and he will get back into the show. Nice to see him lift up the trophy though!

Cheers
I'm always conflicted on this subject. At first I was against getting this player because at the time i was an Erik Cole fan(perhaps also odd).

But I let this board eventually convince me this was a good trade. That POS offered us a lot of potential. I'd liked some of what POS had done in LA and hoped he could do that here.

Its unfortunate how far down south things have gone for Paddy. I did end up liking the player despite the odds and that I probably shouldn't have.

I think the NHL has become far too much of a physical, big man sport to suit POS. I think in junior, and earlier years he tried to play with jam. I think he realized he wasn't able to do that playing with the big boys.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonoiler19 View Post

Cheers
We never signed him. He got traded to us for Erik Cole and a pick. Then when he was on his last year, we bought him out.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:39 PM
hfboardsuser

The sad thing is, despite not giving a ****, he still finished well over a PPG during the AHL regular season and had 18 points in 24 playoff games.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers View Post
We never signed him. He got traded to us for Erik Cole and a pick. Then when he was on his last year, we bought him out.
We didn't buy him out. We traded him to Phoenix for Vandermeer and Phoenix bought him out.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
bsmith14

POS was a guy that was born with great hockey talent but doesnt seem to like hockey, I mean if he really is disinterested he should do something else. Maybe its just for a paycheque at this point. When he was drafted I remember hearing he had a lot of issues and problems with his father, prob was one of those kids pushed into a sport he doesnt care about. It's sad but it happens all the time.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
We didn't buy him out. We traded him to Phoenix for Vandermeer and Phoenix bought him out.
And then he was picked up by Carolina, who waived him.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
And then he was picked up by Carolina, who waived him.
Didn't Minny claim him off waivers after that?

Old
06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
You are right my bad....grrrr. I forgot the only player we bought out was Nilsson. And we got lucky with Moreau being picked up by Columbus

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
POS was a guy that was born with great hockey talent but doesnt seem to like hockey, I mean if he really is disinterested he should do something else. Maybe its just for a paycheque at this point. When he was drafted I remember hearing he had a lot of issues and problems with his father, prob was one of those kids pushed into a sport he doesnt care about. It's sad but it happens all the time.
I think he likes hockey fine. NHL hockey these days is a whole other matter for a small player.
A small player requires a whole lot more fortitude in todays NHL game than those that are midsized or large players.

Take a look at Gagner, lots of try and fight in that dog but as many mention he does struggle playing with the bigger boys and finding ways to overcome.

POS lost that jam. At some point it seemed that the NHL game had backed him off and made him tentative. Thats the death of a small player in the NHL I guess.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I think he likes hockey fine. NHL hockey these days is a whole other matter for a small player.
A small player requires a whole lot more fortitude in todays NHL game than those that are midsized or large players.

Take a look at Gagner, lots of try and fight in that dog but as many mention he does struggle playing with the bigger boys and finding ways to overcome.

POS lost that jam. At some point it seemed that the NHL game had backed him off and made him tentative. Thats the death of a small player in the NHL I guess.
If Tyler Ennis can become a regular everyday player, no one should be able to use size as a reason they can't play in the NHL.

edit: Sorry it can be "a" reason but it is not "the" reason.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
If Tyler Ennis can become a regular everyday player, no one should be able to use size as a reason they can't play in the NHL.

edit: Sorry it can be "a" reason but it is not "the" reason.
For sure. I never stated that small players are a non starter in the NHL.

Just that they require more verve to stay in it.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I think that's a huge oversimplification. Just because Gagner hasn't "broken out" or that PoS failed to spark in Edmonton, doesn't mean that the small players can't have success in the NHL. Examples: Nathan Gerbe, Martin St. Louis. Recchi is still playing despite his size and age. Linus Omark looks like a possible player too.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I think that's a huge oversimplification. Just because Gagner hasn't "broken out" or that PoS failed to spark in Edmonton, doesn't mean that the small players can't have success in the NHL. Examples: Nathan Gerbe, Martin St. Louis. Recchi is still playing despite his size and age. Linus Omark looks like a possible player too.
I'm not sure how you would think thats what I'm stating. Its clearly not what I'm stating.

Only that more fortitude is requisite for the small player. People know this, yet tend to forget it. Theres always more for a small player to overcome in the NHL. This is a given. Its not even a point of debate imo.

ps Its obvious Omark isn't missing jam. He has verve in spades.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
I'm not sure how you would think thats what I'm stating. Its clearly not what I'm stating.

Only that more fortitude is requisite for the small player. People know this, yet tend to forget it. Theres always more for a small player to overcome in the NHL. This is a given. Its not even a point of debate imo.

Sorry got that on the second read. I thought you meant that POS was an example of the death of a small player.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:22 PM
blackwater

vCash: 135
Quote:

agreed. a comparison the other way is if dustin penner was 5' 8" 170lbs, i doubt he would have even made it the AHL given his lack of jam, verve or fortitude or whatever adjective you would use to describe that trait.

and it seems POS lacks, and still lacks, that quality to become a successful NHL player. it's too bad though, because the talent is there.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:49 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

I think he lost his motivation. He didn't really care enough to work hard and he wasn't good enough to just be a floater and succeed as a scorer.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

He cared for one year in LA, and ended up getting a decent contract offer. Too bad that one year in LA was the only year he actually gave a **** about playing hockey.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Small players... they can make it... they'll need tons of skill and grit.
Also on the Tyler Ennis subject...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...d=nhl-keymatch
A team mate of his.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Everest

Quote:
I'm always conflicted on this subject. At first I was against getting this player because at the time i was an Erik Cole fan(perhaps also odd).

But I let this board eventually convince me this was a good trade. That POS offered us a lot of potential. I'd liked some of what POS had done in LA and hoped he could do that here.

Its unfortunate how far down south things have gone for Paddy. I did end up liking the player despite the odds and that I probably shouldn't have.

I think the NHL has become far too much of a physical, big man sport to suit POS. I think in junior, and earlier years he tried to play with jam. I think he realized he wasn't able to do that playing with the big boys.
Im sorry but this doesn't sound at all like what was actually happening between YOU and POS.

Your defence of this player was/is inexcusable. Nobody convinced you he was a good hockey player. You made that mistake all on your own, my friend.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Im sorry but this doesn't sound at all like what was actually happening between YOU and POS.

Your defence of this player was/is inexcusable. Nobody convinced you he was a good hockey player. You made that mistake all on your own, my friend.
Not the case good sir.

If you look back when that trade was made I was very upset to see Cole go. If anything the consensus at the time here on the board was that I had lost my mind preferring Cole over O' Sullivan. The board convinced me otherwise that we got a great deal.

Its the benefit of a messageboard like this is its something anybody can check.

I did change my tune though subsequently and devoutly made a support project out of the player. I liked the talent. I came to ignore the deficits as if I had blinders on. I kept thinking he's due, he's due....

Old
06-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Everest

Quote:
Not the case good sir.

If you look back when that trade was made I was very upset to see Cole go. If anything the consensus at the time here on the board was that I had lost my mind preferring Cole over O' Sullivan. The board convinced me otherwise that we got a great deal.

Its the benefit of a messageboard like this is its something anybody can check.

I did change my tune though subsequently and devoutly made a support project out of the player. I liked the talent. I came to ignore the deficits as if I had blinders on. I kept thinking he's due, he's due....
Fair enough. Cole and POS were both weak. I didn't know much about POS until he came here.

He left here having sky rocketed up my personal list of All Time Worst Oilers.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:25 PM
oilerfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Fair enough. Cole and POS were both weak. I didn't know much about POS until he came here.

He left here having sky rocketed up my personal list of All Time Worst Oilers.
definitely the worst oiler in my mind..totally gutless and no passion or pride in his game.

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I'm still trying to get a grasp of this Patio sighting. He played here for a couple of seasons and I never saw him. Now he isn't in the NHL and he was sighted, I'm shocked.